Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Yep, here we go:

https://twitter.com/RozChin/status/909985320250228736

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

but might integrate Toys R' Us and Babies R' Us stores.
they already did that in like 2000s, which was probably their last hedge keeping them aflaot

anyways :rip:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As discussed in the PYF failing businesses thread, Toys R Us really is crippled by online retail; most mass-produced toys are the same thing no matter where you buy them from, and parents already have enough trouble pulling their kids out of the toy aisles in department stores, let alone an entire business devoted to overstimulating them. They may not necessarily have been doing anything wrong, their business model just doesn't hold up anymore.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Xaris posted:

they already did that in like 2000s, which was probably their last hedge keeping them aflaot

anyways :rip:

All of them?

Because there are definitely stand alone Toys R' Us and Babies R' Us stores around me. Maybe they are random outliers like the one locally owned radioshack near where I live that is still in business.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's 'Toys "Я" Us', please treat those who are about to die with respect.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Well there is also the fact that most Toys R Us stores do most of their business force the entire year over like August to December, with 40% of the whole year's take coming from November to December.

Really if they could operate like those Halloween costume stores that only operate for like 60 days a year, they might come out ahead.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Amazon is extremely convenient for kid's toys. You can get whatever you want, and it arrives in 2 days. And you avoid the trip to the toy store which means no tantrums.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
It's great for parents in general especially if you have a "hard" kid.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

BarbarianElephant posted:

Amazon is extremely convenient for kid's toys. You can get whatever you want, and it arrives in 2 days. And you avoid the trip to the toy store which means no tantrums.

Hell if its the right toy/right location you can get it within 2 hours with Amazon Now.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Next generation gonna grow up even more impatient and isolated

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

got any sevens posted:

Next generation gonna grow up even more impatient and isolated

That's really what you think?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

All of them?

Because there are definitely stand alone Toys R' Us and Babies R' Us stores around me. Maybe they are random outliers like the one locally owned radioshack near where I live that is still in business.

Bankrupt doesn't mean defunct, either now or then. It means the company is allowed to reorganize while its debts are put on hold. In this case, Toys r Us is probably making the case that if they don't pay creditors now, they will be reinvigorated over the holiday season. Probably a lot of retailers are saying that, and when it doesn't happen, January-March of next year is going to be when they go into liquidation bankruptcy, as opposed to reorganization bankruptcy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

Bankrupt doesn't mean defunct, either now or then. It means the company is allowed to reorganize while its debts are put on hold. In this case, Toys r Us is probably making the case that if they don't pay creditors now, they will be reinvigorated over the holiday season. Probably a lot of retailers are saying that, and when it doesn't happen, January-March of next year is going to be when they go into liquidation bankruptcy, as opposed to reorganization bankruptcy.

Wait, are restructurings and bankruptcies both called bankruptcies in the US?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

Chapter 11 is a court supervised reorganization of obligations.

Chapter 7 is a liquidation.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MiddleOne posted:

Why wouldn't a form of bankruptcy be called a bankruptcy? You can have a bankruptcy that's to immediately proceed to liquidation, you can have a bankruptcy of a municpality or county which always contains reorganization, you can have a bankruptcy of a private entity that takes various forms, with some being only available to individuals, some only to companies, some specifically targeted for farming or fishing. And you have additional flavors of bankruptcy meant for a foreign enterprise undergoing bankruptcy elsewhere to handle the proper stuff in the US.

Merely being out of money doesn't tell you anything about what's going to happen next after all.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

fishmech posted:

Why wouldn't a form of bankruptcy be called a bankruptcy? You can have a bankruptcy that's to immediately proceed to liquidation, you can have a bankruptcy of a municpality or county which always contains reorganization, you can have a bankruptcy of a private entity that takes various forms, with some being only available to individuals, some only to companies, some specifically targeted for farming or fishing. And you have additional flavors of bankruptcy meant for a foreign enterprise undergoing bankruptcy elsewhere to handle the proper stuff in the US.

Merely being out of money doesn't tell you anything about what's going to happen next after all.

In my countries legal code restructuring is something you have to apply for after bankruptcy proceedings have been initiated by a creditor to temporarily protect yourself from liqudidation. A bankruptcy can lead to restructuring but a bankruptcy is not restructuring. That's why I was confused.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How do kids know what they want? I had no idea what the latest lego set was or the latest model of super soaker until I was there in the toy store. I'd love browsing and discovering what's even available before making up my mind, and even that that was just to put something on a list to maybe get one day if I'm good. Sometimes I'd be exposed to something via a friend or word of mouth, but unless I was roaming up and down the aisles of a toy store it was hard to say what I actually wanted.

Do kids even really do toys as much as they used to? Every kid I see just wants to play a video game or phone game and is throwing a tantrum because dad won't buy the kid a $5.99 pack of gems to be used as in-game currency to buy their way past some grind in a free to play skinner box.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

How do kids know what they want?

advertising

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Baronjutter posted:

How do kids know what they want? I had no idea what the latest lego set was or the latest model of super soaker until I was there in the toy store. I'd love browsing and discovering what's even available before making up my mind, and even that that was just to put something on a list to maybe get one day if I'm good. Sometimes I'd be exposed to something via a friend or word of mouth, but unless I was roaming up and down the aisles of a toy store it was hard to say what I actually wanted.

Do kids even really do toys as much as they used to? Every kid I see just wants to play a video game or phone game and is throwing a tantrum because dad won't buy the kid a $5.99 pack of gems to be used as in-game currency to buy their way past some grind in a free to play skinner box.

Literally advertising and weekly flyers and word of mouth and poo poo? The exact same way as I did growing up in the 80s?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

glowing-fish posted:

Yes, I know how bankruptcy works. I was responding to the person who said that they already integrated the Toys and Babies R Us stores in the early 2000's. Because none of the stores in my area have been integrated.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

How do kids know what they want?

YouTube will chain a million toy videos and unboxings and everything else their little hearts desire.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

baquerd posted:

YouTube will chain a million toy videos and unboxings and everything else their little hearts desire.

Yeah, in fact kids today probably have more ways of knowing which toys they want than ever before, since they aren't going purely by what it looks like in a box or does on a TV commercial.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baronjutter posted:

You shouldn't rip off 4th tier op-ed column takes on Kids These Days.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Also assuming they're part of a fandom, in my experience most kids are already subscribed to/follow Facebook/Twitter/YouTube/Old-Timey-Blog/whatevers dedicated not only to unboxing but announcements and press releases and convention showcases of the next Lego/Marvel/Star Wars/Nintendo/Shopkins/Minecraft/whatever they're into products, and are aware of them months before they even come out.

Granted I'm talking mostly about "older" kids 10-16, but I wouldn't be shocked if the age gate for that keeps getting lower. There's also a lot of cross-generational brand-type things in there, and even if the kid is too young/screenblocked/not-tech-savvy enough to do that, when birthdays or the holidays roll around a lot of parents will be sort of queuing those things up to show the kids to figure out the best present for them. None of which requires going to an actual physical store.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Edge & Christian posted:

Granted I'm talking mostly about "older" kids 10-16, but I wouldn't be shocked if the age gate for that keeps getting lower. There's also a lot of cross-generational brand-type things in there, and even if the kid is too young/screenblocked/not-tech-savvy enough to do that, when birthdays or the holidays roll around a lot of parents will be sort of queuing those things up to show the kids to figure out the best present for them. None of which requires going to an actual physical store.

yeah there are advertisements for toddlers but it doesn't quite work because toddlers still have incoherent and disordered thoughts. but it does sort of prime the pump for later consumer behavior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKrAM-CcVRk

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't think children should be exposed to marketing and it should in fact be a minor crime to attempt to advertise to children.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think children should be exposed to marketing and it should in fact be a minor crime to attempt to advertise to children.

You're going to have to cuts their eyes out, then. No matter what, they see advertising everywhere and wear it. Kids will refer to their shoes by their brand name all the time, wear shirts with the same NFL logos that their parents wear, and eat cereal that they call Cheerios or Trix even if they have the generic stuff.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Star Man posted:

You're going to have to cuts their eyes out, then. No matter what, they see advertising everywhere and wear it. Kids will refer to their shoes by their brand name all the time, wear shirts with the same NFL logos that their parents wear, and eat cereal that they call Cheerios or Trix even if they have the generic stuff.

No it's totally cool, kids who get locked in homeschooling with no touch with outside culture end up just fine!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

None of the families with kids I know have cable TV, all the stuff their kids watch is streaming without ads, their internet fully ad-blocked. Just like most adults I know live entirely ad-blocked lives, so do the kids. They get exposed to stuff through word of mouth and friends, but not tricked into wanting poo poo through manipulative commercials.

I remember growing up in the 80's a lot of parents were nuts about violence and not letting their kid watch anything with violence or fighting in it and certainly no toys with guns or weapons. Now the trend seems to be parents trying to shield their kids from consumerism. I don't think kids in the 80's who were not allowed to watch or play with transformers or GI Joe turned out any more peaceful or enlightened, not sure if trying to eliminate as much exposure to consumerism and marketing will make much of a difference. It does though help to cut down on the bills since most parents are poor as poo poo and buying every dumb fad or trend a kid "has" to have is expensive.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baronjutter posted:

None of the families with kids I know have cable TV, all the stuff their kids watch is streaming without ads, their internet fully ad-blocked. Just like most adults I know live entirely ad-blocked lives, so do the kids. They get exposed to stuff through word of mouth and friends, but not tricked into wanting poo poo through manipulative commercials.

I remember growing up in the 80's a lot of parents were nuts about violence and not letting their kid watch anything with violence or fighting in it and certainly no toys with guns or weapons. Now the trend seems to be parents trying to shield their kids from consumerism. I don't think kids in the 80's who were not allowed to watch or play with transformers or GI Joe turned out any more peaceful or enlightened, not sure if trying to eliminate as much exposure to consumerism and marketing will make much of a difference. It does though help to cut down on the bills since most parents are poor as poo poo and buying every dumb fad or trend a kid "has" to have is expensive.

Congrats on knowing I guess 2 families of inordinately tech-savvy adults I guess? This is hardly normal, and also the kids are still watching ads. The shows they watch if they're from TV contain paid product placement or characters that have toys. And if they're watching online content they're even more likely to have brand placement. They're being "tricked into wanting poo poo" through manipulative content.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This video clip seems relevant to the discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQhSeQe9Vg0

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

fishmech posted:

Congrats on knowing I guess 2 families of inordinately tech-savvy adults I guess? This is hardly normal, and also the kids are still watching ads. The shows they watch if they're from TV contain paid product placement or characters that have toys. And if they're watching online content they're even more likely to have brand placement. They're being "tricked into wanting poo poo" through manipulative content.

More to the point, many children are watching YouTube or YouTube kids on their parents phones or tablets when they are given them (your friends may not do this, baron, but it is a common occurrence -- especially in restaurants or other settings where young children are expected to be quiet so they don't disrupt strangers).

Since YouTube isn't beholden to federal laws regarding advertising to minors the whole place is basically the wild Wild West. There are dozens and dozens of channels called things like "Spider-Man and Elsa" where kids do nothing but play with Disney related toys for easily digestible 10 minute blocks. My masters is in Early Education and I constantly observe children replaying YouTube clips they see on the playgrounds and incorporating product placement into their imaginative play. It is pretty wild.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 20, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

More to the point, many children are watching YouTube or YouTube kids on their parents phones or tablets when they are given them (your friends may not do this, but it is a common occurrence -- especially in restaurants or other settings where young children are expected to be quiet so they don't disrupt strangers). Since YouTube isn't beholden to federal laws regarding advertising to minors the whole place is basically the wild Wild West. There are dozens and dozens of channels called things like "Spider-Man and Elsa" where kids do nothing but play with Disney related toys for easily digestible 10 minute blocks. My masters is in Early Education and I constantly see children replaying YouTube clips they see on the playgrounds and incorporating product placement into their imaginative play. It is pretty wild.

My nephew (7) has started torturing himself by watching unboxing videos of extremely expensive toys whenever he gets screen time.

I'm not sure if they are just overly dedicated nerds opening boxes or paid promoters. But the fact that I couldn't tell was worrying.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

More to the point, many children are watching YouTube or YouTube kids on their parents phones or tablets when they are given them (your friends may not do this, but it is a common occurrence -- especially in restaurants or other settings where young children are expected to be quiet so they don't disrupt strangers).

I wish they'd wear headphones while they do it. Nothing enhances my fine dining experience like Paw Patrol.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xae posted:

My nephew (7) has started torturing himself by watching unboxing videos of extremely expensive toys whenever he gets screen time.

I'm not sure if they are just overly dedicated nerds opening boxes or paid promoters. But the fact that I couldn't tell was worrying.

Like 90% of those channels are dudes paying full price or the same discounts any average person could get, but they're expecting to get paid via running normal ads on the video. They have to start getting kind of big time to get the major companies to give them the stuff for free or deep discount to start becoming paid promoters.

Of course a lot of those people also tend to complain when the notoriously fickle YouTube ad algorithms change once again and their thousands a month suddenly dwindle to dozens a month or whatever.

YouTube stuff, for the people uploading videos, is rather like trying to break into being a rock star. Sure if you make it big you're getting millions and have a whole staff working for you to help produce your stuff so your personal involvement with the gruntwork is minimized. But to get there you need to spend like tons of time playing for nothing and actually doing all the work, and then you're almost certain to never get big anyway. Maybe you can make just enough to get by off the thing, but that'll be it.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 20, 2017

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

No it's totally cool, kids who get locked in homeschooling with no touch with outside culture end up just fine!
you were raised by one of those calm and pleasant mechanical voices that say "the next train to arrive on platform 2 goes to central, first stop hamilton"

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Toys R Us has been under pressure from a lot of different factors. They were having a hard enough time competing with Wal-Mart, they didn't invest in online sales, they went from the #1 video game retailer in the US to less than 1% of sales, interest is shifting away from toys and towards electronics, and of course Amazon consumes all.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

OneEightHundred posted:

Toys R Us has been under pressure from a lot of different factors. They were having a hard enough time competing with Wal-Mart, they didn't invest in online sales, they went from the #1 video game retailer in the US to less than 1% of sales, interest is shifting away from toys and towards electronics, and of course Amazon consumes all.

There was an interesting bit on Marketplace talking about how debt pushed onto the company (not sure exactly how this works) by hedge fund who invested in them prevented significant spending into the online arena.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

That's how it is in my country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Beachcomber posted:

I wish they'd wear headphones while they do it. Nothing enhances my fine dining experience like Paw Patrol.

i legit thought it was called Papa Troll until I saw it written down. it sounded like a cool show.