Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
She is the first woman of color lead and that is true and it is easy to misspeak. Principle of charity until proven otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
No, the whole article is a mess:

quote:

Jason Isaacs, who plays Discovery’s war-mongering Captain Gabriel Lorca, is likewise a Trek fan from a different era, admiring Patrick Stewart’s Captain Jean-Luc Picard from the big screen versions of the late 1990s.

Unsurprisingly, the new cast all geeked out when Jonathan Frakes, who played Riker alongside Stewart in the early film versions, recently guest-directed an episode.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Definitely don't get anyone who knows anything about a major franchise/fandom to write or even edit your article. :justpost:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

On a different note, here's something I've never seen before: Star Trek III Excelsior bridge concept art:

presumably before they realised they had to build it for two dollars and what they had spare in the back room.

A wraparound display would've been awesome.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Maybe they're hoping the article's inaccuracies will cause it to go vital as nerds flock to the comments section to register their dissent?

Edit: lol at the author's name: Gill Pringle

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MikeJF posted:

On a different note, here's something I've never seen before: Star Trek III Excelsior bridge concept art:

presumably before they realised they had to build it for two dollars and what they had spare in the back room.

A wraparound display would've been awesome.

That is really cool but doesn't look right for Starfleet, it's so sinister.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

skasion posted:

I like that it has what gear they're in right on the screen, like a space dashboard.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Hello Trekkers...Trekkies...Treknophiles? WHAT ARE WEEEEE??

I wouldn't mind some constructive criticism on my project Kobayashi Maru. It is a Star Trek-themed webcomic that I hope is on its way to becoming a comic book, like my previous major project, Weapon Brown. There are presently 25 installments.

Kobayashi Maru It is a parodic take on Star Trek, but not as broad as something like "Futurama". The pitch is: "What woukd the Star Trek universe look like from the POV of the roughnecks in the Neutral Zone?"

All comments welcome, (except those that mock my tiny genitals. See? Beat you to it! Why even go there? No woman will!)

Thanks in advance!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

skasion posted:

I like it. Especially if the idea was meant to be that the viewscreen was an entire dome, space over their heads.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Death Ray posted:

Kobayashi Maru

I loved your work and attention to detail in Weapon Brown so I will definitely be checking this out.

IANAL but doesn't explicitly saying it's not a fanfic and also not a parody put you in some form of legal danger when monitizing the work?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Maybe the article is getting Star Trek confused with The Orville.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

The Bloop posted:

I loved your work and attention to detail in Weapon Brown so I will definitely be checking this out.

IANAL but doesn't explicitly saying it's not a fanfic and also not a parody put you in some form of legal danger when monitizing the work?

The only actual reference to a specific Star Trek element is the name Kobayashi Maru. Since I only use it as the title, and titles can't be copyrighted, I shouldn't have an issue. All other Star Trek IP is disguised behind "slang"-- "Feds"and "Klugs"instead of the Federation and Klingons, for example.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Death Ray posted:

The only actual reference to a specific Star Trek element is the name Kobayashi Maru. Since I only use it as the title, and titles can't be copyrighted, I shouldn't have an issue. All other Star Trek IP is disguised behind "slang"-- "Feds"and "Klugs"instead of the Federation and Klingons, for example.

Again, IANAL but the overall look of things like that two-nacelled-one-saucered ship and the inclusion even of slang like feds feels like the overall design element is more heavily lifted than, say, The Orville.

Haven't read it all yet, just curious about your thought process/ legal position.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

The Bloop posted:

Again, IANAL but the overall look of things like that two-nacelled-one-saucered ship and the inclusion even of slang like feds feels like the overall design element is more heavily lifted than, say, The Orville.

We get it - U ANAL. :smug:

If Weapon Brown didn't get Death Ray deathspanked, he has nothing to fear from this.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

The Bloop posted:

Haven't read it all yet, just curious about your thought process/ legal position.

I dig. Once you read on, you will see how I solve the problem of that one ship looking too much like the Enterprise. Mwuh! Mwuh ha! MWUH HAHAHAHAHA!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Enterprise was the first trek with continuity and serialization according to rick Berman and now discovery will have the first black lead.

Ds9 erasure is triggering me hard.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They're giving Deep Space 9 the Deep Space 6!

But they can't hide it, it's going to be on very successful Trek podcast The Greatest Generation in like, a month of less and probably a ton of people rewatching

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm doing a gradual rewatch of DS9 and it's amazing how good this show is with the writing. Even plots that would have made for a mediocre episode of TNG are so much better here.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

vermin posted:

The Producer's Knife Cares Not For the Writer's Cry

I chuckled

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm doing a gradual rewatch of DS9 and it's amazing how good this show is with the writing. Even plots that would have made for a mediocre episode of TNG are so much better here.

It really is. I think I've rewatched the series 2 or 3 times in the last couple years and every time I'm surprised by the jump in quality from TNG to DS9. There are one-off season 7 episodes that are stronger than big TNG two-parters.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I just rewatched 'The Collaborator' which is an interesting shades of gray kind of ending. Vedek Bareil was willing to effectively end his relationship with Kira and also kill his chance to become Kai just to save the reputation of Kai Opaka, his mentor. Like he has Kira convinced that he was guilty of giving the Cardassians intel during the Occupation that led to 40+ deaths. Only because he forgot to erase all of the evidence does she find out that he's lying.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The civilian government is a high flow feces/air distribution manifold though so Barile is trying to save the only institution that functions.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Vedek Bareil is such a dumb piece of poo poo. In one act, he shows complete disrespect for the Bajoran people, while also trashing Kai Opaka's actual legacy by letting Winn become the head of their religion. Just a complete jackass. A believable one, though, making for a good episode.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Bareil is so flat nobody noticed when he became a robot.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Bareil is so boring even the mirror universe Bareil is boring

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All of Kira's boyfriends are terrible. Even Odo. Especially Odo.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

All of Kira's boyfriends are terrible. Even Odo. Especially Odo.

WHO DOES THIS?

Just sit there and drink nothing if you want to hang out, don't make a fake cup and drink your own goo, you loving weirdo! JUST SIT THERE!

P.S. - Garak's approving nod is the :discourse: of that gif

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Odo should have ended up with Quark

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also you're loving sixty years old, learn to make a face. You can turn into a loving eagle but can't make a face? Really?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Also you're loving sixty years old, learn to make a face. You can turn into a loving eagle but can't make a face? Really?

He can make a face, but like Stephen Hawking's voice, that is his face now

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Isn't his face in Children of Time much more realistic?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

Isn't his face in Children of Time much more realistic?

yeah. maybe he wanted to age with people. He never had friends before.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

The Bloop posted:

He can make a face, but like Stephen Hawking's voice, that is his face now

That's how I always thought of it, even if it's not mentioned. It does make perfect in-universe sense.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Everyone else can make whatever face they want

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Everyone else can make whatever face they want
And Odo isn't everyone else!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Everyone else doesn't have a reason to maintain a specific appearance as a... as a, yechh, as a solid. Except for Salome Jens, who presumably (explicitly...? don't remember) appeared that way for Odo's sake. That's another reason I think it was an unspoken, but canon, reason why Odo didn't work at it harder even after all his post-met-his-people Changeling exercises.

Edit: Did any other founder ever display an Odo-like face?

E2: Oh also it is explicitly mentioned that Odo modeled his face (and hair, conveniently enough) after Dr. Mora.

E3: And on that note, funny that he didn't even try to emulate Mora's nose crinkles. Stupid writers, not seeing far enough into future plotlines! :argh:

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 19, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nessus posted:

And Odo isn't everyone else!

I'm saying he needs to get his poo poo together!

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Everyone else doesn't have a reason to maintain a specific appearance as a... as a, yechh, as a solid. Except for Salome Jens, who presumably (explicitly...? don't remember) appeared that way for Odo's sake. That's another reason I think it was an unspoken, but canon, reason why Odo didn't work at it harder even after all his post-met-his-people Changeling exercises.

Edit: Did any other founder ever display an Odo-like face?

E2: Oh also it is explicitly mentioned that Odo modeled his face (and hair, conveniently enough) after Dr. Mora.

Laas

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm saying he needs to get his poo poo together!

Does Odo poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I hope Dukat can be a stabilizing father figure in Kira's life :(