Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Firewatch deliberately leads you on in thinking that there's weird poo poo going on though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
A very small story with drama is probably going to be more divisive in general than an epic generic one. I'm fine with gone home and it's genre, if you are going to allow games to tell more kinds of stories you have to include ones you don't like.

Yume Nikki is still the best walking simulator though.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

HIJK posted:

Otherwise it's can be hard to sympathize with upper middle class kids running away from home especially with the US's current economic problems.

This is the worst take.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The family in Gone Home wasn't even rich, they inherited that house from the dad's uncle and he hadn't written a new book in years. The dad was doing work on the side reviewing electronics appliances, the same ones Sam and Lonnie stole for money to... wherever. They didn't really think things through.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I just can't handle all these blazing hot gone home takes in the year of our lord 2017

brand name canned soup
Aug 20, 2009

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
(clap clap clap clap)
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
(clap clap clap clap)
I haven't been surprised by a game in a long time now that info is proliferated online almost immediately, so im all for the misleading atmosphere. The important thing is that it was well-done and consistent. All the hints that something spooky might be afoot are consistent with a plain ol creaky house, as far as I can remember. And you pretty quickly can figure out what type of game it is as you go along.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

brand name canned soup posted:

I haven't been surprised by a game in a long time now that info is proliferated online almost immediately, so im all for the misleading atmosphere. The important thing is that it was well-done and consistent. All the hints that something spooky might be afoot are consistent with a plain ol creaky house, as far as I can remember. And you pretty quickly can figure out what type of game it is as you go along.

More recently I thought it was awesome how Hellblade made everybody think the intro message was about permadeath, which critics soon corrected by saying the game lied to them about permadeath, when in fact the text is 100% truthful and does not even mention permadeath whatsoever.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Glagha posted:

This is the worst take.

Yeah, I guess I'm supposed to sympathize with the worst characters in a story.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
They lived in a pretty nice house and the oldest daughter had come home from an overseas trip if I remember right, which is always expensive. They're clearly a somewhat well-off family and not everyone is sympathetic to people in those circumstances. :shrug: It was a topic of discussion that I've seen come up wrt sympathizing with the sister and her girlfriend.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Jukebox Hero posted:

If Gone Home had kept that creepy vibe and gone in a different, horror direction, even with the exact same mechanics and gameplay I'd defend it and probably love it. Even the title has that horror tone.

I'd probably only sell it for five bucks or thereabouts though.

The story's homosexual component felt almost calculated to deter criticism considering the defined gender roles of the couple; the 'masculine' one could have been a man and very little would change, but it still got praised for it. If you ever saw any of them in person it might be different but that would also require it to be basically a different genre. I'm not upset it had gay people in it, I just wish the writing made it matter more than it did.

What? At that point having a gay relationship be a focal point was a huge thing, I remember at the time thinking how melancholy it was, depicting the love in the 80's as something you did have to hide.

I don't get the butch/lipstick stereotype comparison, it's nowhere near that stereotypical in game.

If you want a poo poo load of virtue signaling garbage check out dream daddy, might as well be a horror game.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 19, 2017

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

If I wanted to play a game about some kids loving up and destroying their parents work I'd play Myst.

Myst 3 is great for this, especially as the final puzzle requires you to prove that you've paid attention to Atrus's lessons on Age Building that literally every character failed to understand. Heck, if Brad Dourif had actually paid attention instead of planning his revenge he'd have escaped decades ago.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Gone Home would be better received if it turned into ANATOMY halfway through

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The house has taken Lonnie.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

exquisite tea posted:

More recently I thought it was awesome how Hellblade made everybody think the intro message was about permadeath, which critics soon corrected by saying the game lied to them about permadeath, when in fact the text is 100% truthful and does not even mention permadeath whatsoever.

This is confusing, what?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

s.i.r.e. posted:

This is confusing, what?

Hellblade made a bluff about roguelike instadeath

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

This is confusing, what?

I talked a little bit about it in the Hellblade thread, and what I wrote will probably answer your question.

Marshal Radisic posted:

It's funny, actually. The game pulls that old trick of being completely honest, but just vague enough that you completely misinterpret what it said. The exact text that appears on the screen reads "The dark rot will grow each time you fail. If the rot reaches Senua's head, her quest will be over, and all progress will be lost." All this is borne out in the game; what isn't said is that the dark rot is Senua's personal metaphor for the fear she has of her mental illness (as well as a gameplay device to put stress on the player) rather than a permadeath mechanic. In any case, the game clues you in that something's off when the rot grows after you kill Valraven and Surt and starts advancing/retreating arbitrarily after multiple deaths.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So it'll advance up her arm but then go back down? And it doesn't even have permadeath? That's pretty good.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
anatomy should be put on steam so i can buy it and then be disappointed already

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

You can just buy it from her itch.io page with Paypal. It's only US$2.99 at minimum.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Quick question about Oxenfree.

I clocked it last night. Really enjoyed it and traded Clarissa to the ghosts because I'm a monster. Do they do anything on the second run to make things a bit quicker? The only thing putting me off playing it straight through again is the idea of doing all that walking again. (Goon scared of walking, news at 11) Like, I get that they couldn't have you running everywhere because of the talking, anomalies and all that, but on a second/third/however many times it'll take me to see everything?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Johnny Joestar posted:

you sound like you're straight and i'm not sure what you're trying to get at here, especially when lgbt people barely have anything to lay claim to when it comes to videogames that don't arbitrarily kill off the gay or bisexual people

Sorry to bring this back but my same sex partner says I'm pretty homo; and congrats, there's a really poorly written romance in a boring game about tricking you into thinking things are happening when they aren't, and both of the people in the relationship have vaginas. What a victory for the cause.

You're arguing for tokenism, not representation.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

What? At that point having a gay relationship be a focal point was a huge thing, I remember at the time thinking how melancholy it was, depicting the love in the 80's as something you did have to hide.

Yes, cool, they're gay and have to hide it and it's written like every other story where that happens and it's all just so banal...

Jukebox Hero fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 19, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jukebox Hero posted:

Sorry to bring this back but my same sex partner says I'm pretty homo; and congrats, there's a really poorly written romance in a boring game about tricking you into thinking things are happening when they aren't, and both of the people in the relationship have vaginas. What a victory for the cause.

You're arguing for tokenism, not representation.

Yes, cool, they're gay and have to hide it and it's written like every other story where that happens and it's all just so banal...

A game that revolves entirely around a homosexual relationship in the 90s is "tokenism"?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

chitoryu12 posted:

A game that revolves entirely around a homosexual relationship in the 90s is "tokenism"?

When it's written badly, yes?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jukebox Hero posted:

When it's written badly, yes?

It's written like a pretty normal relationship.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

poo poo, I wish there were more games like anatomy. The vga Japanese horror game does look cool though

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Please ensure that all homosexual love stories really gay it up, especially in private letters between two people.

"dear gay lover, I totes love you for homo"

not everything has to be blatantly spelled out, there can be subtext.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Gone Home just made me wish there was a game were you play as Beetlejuice

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

chitoryu12 posted:

It's written like a pretty normal relationship.

yeah, i'm...really not sure what people are expecting. it's a couple of dumb kids figuring things out and then making a spur of the moment decision. there's also no stereotypes other than vaguely that one of them is signed up to get shipped out for the military, which is what sets the final event in motion. i've literally never heard before of anyone saying it's stereotypical and i don't know know where that would even come from since they're a couple of nerds who like fighting games and punk music.

Iron Crowned posted:

Gone Home just made me wish there was a game were you play as Beetlejuice

would it be like that one game where you play as a ghost and try to spook people out of your house? i don't remember the name of that but it seems fitting enough.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Johnny Joestar posted:

would it be like that one game where you play as a ghost and try to spook people out of your house? i don't remember the name of that but it seems fitting enough.

Haunting, and that game is really overdue for a remake or "homage" (rip-off) that refines the gameplay. I loved that game but man did the developers not know what to do with it after coming up with that one great idea.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

"dear gay lover, I totes love you for homo"

I was disappointed that at no point did either of the girls write "I'm in lesbians with you".

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Maybe that's the real horror?

I got Gone Home cheaply and went into it completely blind, and I *loved* the bait and switch from "haunted house" to "oh its just old and creaky", but if I'd gone in expecting a proper horror game I think I'd have been pretty pissy about it.

I really liked Gone Home, and also great name Strom.

It won't happen, but a combined Gone Home / Anatomy sequel would be amazing. Gone House?

How card-y is World of Horror anyway? I dislike M:tg but I could probably get down with some MTG Lite or whatever.

edit:

King Vidiot posted:

I was disappointed that at no point did either of the girls write "I'm in lesbians with you".
:v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeahhhhh, i remember it now. i was always kind of sad that game never went anywhere after that.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I made my niece go through Gone Home and it certainly worked as horror. She was taking baby steps into each room and turning on every light. I had to assure her there were no jump scares, which there really weren't. Just being alone in an empty house can be scary. I remember being afraid of Doom when I was a kid once I'd killed everything and was just wandering the maze alone looking for a key. I was relieved to run into demons.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

al-azad posted:

Yeah, I guess I'm supposed to sympathize with the worst characters in a story.

How am I supposed to enjoy a story if the characters don't do the right thing? How can I possibly sympathize with a character who makes a mistake, or does what I wouldn't have done?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

King Vidiot posted:

Haunting, and that game is really overdue for a remake or "homage" (rip-off) that refines the gameplay. I loved that game but man did the developers not know what to do with it after coming up with that one great idea.

You mean you DIDN'T love that after every level you had to fly-kick demon hounds in hell?

Man, that game was great... bar the parts where you had to fly-kick demon hounds in hell.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They should make a scary version of Gone Home where the horror comes from gradually uncovering the extensive funkopop collections of people you used to respect.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Drunken Baker posted:

You mean you DIDN'T love that after every level you had to fly-kick demon hounds in hell?

Man, that game was great... bar the parts where you had to fly-kick demon hounds in hell.

Now I wish I had played this game :smith:

exquisite tea posted:

They should make a scary version of Gone Home where the horror comes from gradually uncovering the extensive funkopop collections of people you used to respect.

Or a version that makes some kind of sense

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't want a game about my life thanks

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Drunken Baker posted:

The demon hounds weren't in hell though. No, in hell you just had to jump away from hands, bats and skulls in narrow corridors. Those levels are easy as poo poo for me now, but I hated them when I was a kid. I used a turbo controller so I could jump super fast.

That boss though, that boss can eat a dick. And the non-ending is the biggest gently caress you after that painfully unfun fight.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

i've literally never heard before of anyone saying it's stereotypical and i don't know know where that would even come from since they're a couple of nerds who like fighting games and punk music.

Well you see one is butch and the other is femme. You can tell this because both of them are punk rockers making a zine, but one of them has been punk for longer and owns big boots so she must be the butch one (ignore that she has pink hair in the pictures of her).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Iron Crowned posted:

Or a version that makes some kind of sense

It did?