Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Everybody outside of Germany is still getting the swastikas in-game right? Because I can't properly murder the gently caress out of Nazis if they don't get me angry with all their swastikas up in my face first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Considering all the enemies are wearing the traditional armband and there are giant swastika covered flags flying from every building in the promo material I'd say that yes, the rest of the world will get swastikas. All the swastikas we could ever want.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also they were talking about the comic cover that got posted

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Vidiot specifically mentioned in-game but I suppose you could always draw the swastikas in the comic yourself if you wanted, too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Is there a reason they've sanitised the Nazi emblems?

maybe just the cover. and alot of wolfensteins promo material is "de nazified" so they dont have to make seperate version for germany.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Is there a reason they've sanitised the Nazi emblems?

The interior's sanitized too, and you'll note that they're not actually referred to as Nazis in the book. They've written it such that the opposing force is referred to as "fascists." The interior pages use the three-pointed "Regime" emblem used in the German version of the game (and seen in things like the Blitzmensch video). However, figures like Himmler, the Thule, Black Sun, and so on are actually named, so...

My guess is that they didn't want to make a for-Germany specific release of the book, so they made it sanitized by default.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

The interior's sanitized too, and you'll note that they're not actually referred to as Nazis in the book. They've written it such that the opposing force is referred to as "fascists." The interior pages use the three-pointed "Regime" emblem used in the German version of the game (and seen in things like the Blitzmensch video). However, figures like Himmler, the Thule, Black Sun, and so on are actually named, so...

My guess is that they didn't want to make a for-Germany specific release of the book, so they made it sanitized by default.

gently caress, that sucks.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
This is the worst thing Germany has ever done.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That 7-0 victory over Brazil in the World Cup a few years back was pretty bad.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Dapper_Swindler posted:

gently caress, that sucks.

It's still a good book, though.

I'm sure someone could take the Comixology version and re-Nazify it fairly easily.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

1stGear posted:

That 7-0 victory over Brazil in the World Cup a few years back was pretty bad.

You mean The Semifinal Solution?

(Yes, I heard this joke MANY times at the time)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

AceOfFlames posted:

You mean The Semifinal Solution?

(Yes, I heard this joke MANY times at the time)

This is my first time hearing this joke, so let me just say holy poo poo.

kefkafloyd posted:

So wait, is the comic out? Is it a one-shot, or a multi-issue series?

King Vidiot posted:

Everybody outside of Germany is still getting the swastikas in-game right? Because I can't properly murder the gently caress out of Nazis if they don't get me angry with all their swastikas up in my face first.

I unironically agree; I get more enjoyment out of wrecking Nazis (even in non-Wolfenstein games) when they haven't been "sanitized".

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I know that in the trailers you still see the swastikas, but you also see footage of the censored flags and armbands mixed in with it. It's probably just footage from the German version, but I was almost kind of worried that maybe Bethesda did something really, really stupid like changing the game in NA too in order to not offend those white nationalists who were complaining about the game a while back.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Xenomrph posted:

So wait, is the comic out? Is it a one-shot, or a multi-issue series?

Issue number one came out on Wednesday! Issue 2 (the second half) will be out next month.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

It's still a good book, though.

I'm sure someone could take the Comixology version and re-Nazify it fairly easily.

can you spoil it maybe. or at least give some interesting world building.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I too like my nazi's 100% genuine and swastika'd before I cut their throats and flush their heads down the toilet. I understand the German angle though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean apart from direct references to Nazis, the game in Germany is identical, and the Wolfenstein Logo is just as good a swastika stand in as the Helghast Triad from Killzone. They're all Nazis anyways and all of them have to be killed, swastikas or not.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I too like my nazi's 100% genuine and swastika'd before I cut their throats and flush their heads down the toilet. I understand the German angle though.

this. its why i am kinda eh with sniper elite series even though they are fun as gently caress. no swastikas/italian facist symbols at all. then again that game makes me feel loving awful for shooting dudes with the little descriptors. for every "burned down a church with civilians inside" or "takes potshots at civilians for laughs" most are "misses his new born son/daughter", "misses his pet snake" or "wants to marry his gf when he gets home" and most are conscripts.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 16, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. its why i am kinda eh with sniper elite series even though they are fun as gently caress. no swastikas/italian facist symbols at all. then again that game makes me feel loving awful for shooting dudes with the little descriptors. for every "burned down a church with civilians inside" or "takes potshots at civilians for laughs" most are "misses his new born son/daughter", "misses his pet snake" or "wants to marry his gf when he gets home" and most are conscripts.

The Nazi Zombie Army spin-off series has swastikas (and pentagrams) all over the goddamn place, if you're looking for a fun Nazi Murder Simulator.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

The Nazi Zombie Army spin-off series has swastikas (and pentagrams) all over the goddamn place, if you're looking for a fun Nazi Murder Simulator.

i need to play that someday.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Dapper_Swindler posted:

can you spoil it maybe. or at least give some interesting world building.

Issue one summary/spoilers

The comic opens at a place called Sanctuary where people in America have fled to after the bombs dropped. Whether it's in Canada or a remote place like northern Minnesota or Dakotas is unclear. The cover story is that it's a farm and they're farmworkers. A character addressed only as "the professor" (who will presumably be someone of importance in TNC) is away while Sanctuary is destroyed by a stomper. As she investigates, she crosses paths with a wild, unnamed woman who tamed an Ubersoldat and is storming the Nazi encampment. Together they descend into the depths of the excavation that the Nazis are doing (they say it's for oil, but it's really for Da'at Yichud stuff).

At that point, they go back to a flashback by the unnamed woman to 1946. Turns out she's Dr. Emile Wagner, member of the Da'at Yichud who's been undercover at the SS Paranormal Division. Nazi officer Hartmann has excavated a sunken city that he believes to be Thulian in origin, but isn't. He brings some of it to the surface and dubs it New Wolfenstein. The Nazis are using stolen Da'at Yichud DNA sequencing/cloning tech to bring back the horrible monsters that apparently lived in or ravaged that sunken city (my guess is that they're veil creatures that were in our dimension and killed in the castle). Wagner sends a coded message in a clockwork bird to BJ Blazkowicz, who decides to take a group of guys and put New Wolfenstein out of commission.

His group gets partway through until they hit a checkpoint, and things go south. His team kills the Nazis, but he's the only one left standing. He has but one thing to say.

"gently caress fascists."

There's some notable mistakes in the art, like the 1946 ubersoldats being drawn with 1960s facemasks. Another strangeness is a panel where a 1940s era Ubersoldat is actually talking to Hartmann, because Ubersoldats have always been mute. There's also some ambiguous word balloons that trigger me as a comics letterer, but that's neither here nor there. There's callbacks to both RTCW and Wolf '09, and Dan Watters seems to at least be a fan, or at least someone who gets the source material. The art's solid, with some excellent color work by Greg Simpson and Greg Menzie

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just stumbled across a mini-documentary about a canceled game called Reich, which was a FPS about the Nazis winning WWII using psychic soldiers or something.

https://youtu.be/SOXvIhKLKI0

The gameplay in the video looks pretty drat cool, I cannot believe I'm only just now learning about this game.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Xenomrph posted:

Can confirm that you the gently caress out if tons of Nazi undead plus a bunch of sauntering skeletons. Seriously they're like "It's cool, I'll get to ya when I get to ya."

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Those were the least Nazi looking Nazi's I think I've ever seen - it's more like fighting space elves in some bizarro sci-fi planet. Interesting concept but it sounds like it fell victim to a publisher who had no idea what it was doing and trusted that the studio to handle everything, only to find out it was being run by a narcissistic shithead.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Those were the least Nazi looking Nazi's I think I've ever seen - it's more like fighting space elves in some bizarro sci-fi planet. Interesting concept but it sounds like it fell victim to a publisher who had no idea what it was doing and trusted that the studio to handle everything, only to find out it was being run by a narcissistic shithead.

That pretty much sums 'er up. By astonishing coincidence I discovered that video today too, and I've gotta admit that the aesthetic they were going for seems pretty weird. The future Nazis of Reich seem to resemble historical Nazis as much as that old Image comic The Red Star has to do with the Brezhnev-era Soviet Union: you can squint and see how the latter became the former, but it has been reinterpreted and filtered through so many sci-fi and fantasy tropes that it hard to connect the material with its source. For me, I watched the video thinking the game looked more like forgotten 2000AD comic series than anything else.

Gotta hand it to MachineGames; they managed to thread the needle and create a science-fictional victorious Third Reich that feels affirmingly mundane in its details. You can imagine walking down a street and see a Herr Faust tromping down the street or a soldier holding an AR60 and not feel like anything is out of place, if you know what I mean.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Yeah Wolfenstein is as grounded as it is fantastical, which is a paradox but there you go.

Farming perks and hoovering up collectibles before I do my Über run, I think stealth knife kills is going to give me a headache. For some reason I just struggle to land them fatally.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

A Buttery Pastry posted:

i can think of one other thing

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Somehow the final room of enemies to clear out on the final level (über) is harder than what I imagine the boss fights will be like. Still, if I get this done, I only need to mop up the last few perks for a platinum PS4 trophy :toot:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
New Trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkrwUzWeACg

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
See all those Nazis marchin about? I'm gonna shoot and stab every single one of them and it' gonna be pretty fuckin' cool :coal:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy this game.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Shoehead posted:

See all those Nazis marchin about? I'm gonna shoot and stab every single one of them and it' gonna be pretty fuckin' cool :coal:

Don't forget stranglin', one of the best of Nazi killing methods.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

God drat this game is gonna rule.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The parade is likely taking place whilw your hard are tied carrying around a nuke, so I suspext tou wont be ablw to actually do anything during the Roswell sequence. At least until you're trapped in the diner.

Still plenty of violence to be had though. And it looks like the environments are at least partially destructible now, with BJ punching through a wall and a pillar being shot apart in one scene.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Still plenty of violence to be had though. And it looks like the environments are at least partially destructible now, with BJ punching through a wall and a pillar being shot apart in one scene.
That's not new though, is it? Though perhaps they've expanded on it for this game.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Concrete pillars definitely crumble under sustained heavy arms fire in TNO.

Love the new trailer, made the mistake of reading the YouTube comments though (I forgot how many bored trolls haunt YouTube comments).

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Was it? I must not have noticed - I know we could cut through special metal plates and I remember the statues and part of the walls at the beginning of the last level could be cut through but I don't recall anything else.

Oh well, maybe they expanded on it since they are just focusing on newer consoles?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Love the new trailer, made the mistake of reading the YouTube comments though (I forgot how many bored trolls haunt YouTube comments).

The comments are great though, only thing I love better than virtually killing Nazis is reading impotent rageposts from internet racists.

Putting the Helga submarine scene in that trailer was a :master:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

King Vidiot posted:

The comments are great though, only thing I love better than virtually killing Nazis is reading impotent rageposts from internet racists.

Helga's Submarine Fun time is the tumbnail image for some of the video reposts. This is a whole new level of advertisement I'm not used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Don't think there are any characters named Helga in the game. If you are referring to the scene with Sigrun and Bombate, I would like to know how you went from that name to "Helga".