Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

goose willis posted:

Through the magic of waifu2x anything is possible

Potential BFF posted:

Well then, I did not know that was a thing. Thank you!
Me either - holy crap, this is great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I cleaned these up a bit and I figured I'd share because who doesn't want an enormous coked out Slaanesh icon?

Or some old school GW Nurgley goodness?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

SRM posted:

Biovores also make maneuvering for your opponent a real upward battle. Having to drive around those dumb mines all the time made for a really tactical game at NOVA.

I just threw guardsmen at 'em. Die for the Emperor or die trying, am I right?

TheChirurgeon posted:

prime everything black

always

never compromise

this

Zuul the Cat posted:

Obviously the answer is to bring back the mishap table. multiple castings may result in your psyker being ripped from reality and dragged into the warp.

I unironically support this idea.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
how many smites per turn are we talking about when it comes to the abusive lists?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheChirurgeon posted:

how many smites per turn are we talking about when it comes to the abusive lists?

What was that Malefic Lords list Naramyth posted a while ago, like 10?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Corrode posted:

Oh. I was under the impression that we were talking like, 15+

One possible solution they should consider is making Smite harder to cast--a 6+ instead of a 5+. That'll reduce the number that go off by about 11%

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

Honestly 10 might be too many in the chaff heavy meta. But if someone berzerker rushes you and you have 10 lords standing there behind 90 brims, they are going to have a bad time.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Oh. I was under the impression that we were talking like, 15+

One possible solution they should consider is making Smite harder to cast--a 6+ instead of a 5+. That'll reduce the number that go off by about 11%

You can get like 15, but a lot of them are garbage 1 die/1 damage smites. In chaos most of your killing power is in your HQs and lords are good but they are slow and don't control the board.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
It is worth mentioning that this latest badcast has been my favorite so far. The fanfic was a work of art, I began to suspect it was a parody half way in, just to much awful jammed into it to be real.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I liked the idea which was mentioned here a whiles back (I forget by who): For each successful casting of a power, future rolls to cast that power this turn suffer a -1 penalty. Makes it increasingly difficult to get off more than 3 or 4 Smites per turn outside rerolls and the odd unit which gets bonuses to cast.

Possibly this system would also allow multiple uses of non-smite powers too.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
https://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/2017/09/19/dicey-business/

God loving drat it GW, just before I'm due for a trip down to Warham World for an interview. I'm all over those Slaanesh dice.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SteelMentor posted:

God loving drat it GW, just before I'm due for a trip down to Warham World for an interview. I'm all over those Slaanesh dice.

Get tested.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zark the Damned posted:

I liked the idea which was mentioned here a whiles back (I forget by who): For each successful casting of a power, future rolls to cast that power this turn suffer a -1 penalty. Makes it increasingly difficult to get off more than 3 or 4 Smites per turn outside rerolls and the odd unit which gets bonuses to cast.

Possibly this system would also allow multiple uses of non-smite powers too.

Yeah that was my idea. I thought about it some more and would think that maybe a -1 penalty wouldn't be enough; instead if you increased the penalty to half the difficulty it would open things up a bit more. This would absolutely open up some more interesting effects like Weirdboyz getting awesome bonuses for being surrounded by their boyz.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SRM posted:

Scuttlebutt around NOVA was that they would be limiting it to 3 castings of Smite a turn. Personally I think it should just follow the same once per turn limitation other powers have but I don't play psyker-heavy armies so I'm probably horribly biased.

Still haven't played 8th but it strikes me that there are so few spells now that psyker heavy armies need some kind of "filler" spell. Maybe one Smite per turn and unlimited Lesser Smite from psykers?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm still surprised that through all that play testing, no one thought Smite spam was going to be a thing early on?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah that was my idea. I thought about it some more and would think that maybe a -1 penalty wouldn't be enough; instead if you increased the penalty to half the difficulty it would open things up a bit more. This would absolutely open up some more interesting effects like Weirdboyz getting awesome bonuses for being surrounded by their boyz.

How about instead of half the difficulty, a cumulative scaling penalty? e.g. -1 for the second cast, -3 for the second, -6 for the third, and so on?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm still surprised that through all that play testing, no one thought Smite spam was going to be a thing early on?

Playtesters straight up talked about it being a thing (in a positive, new possibilities way) but we don't know test conditions or lists. It could be every time there was a smite heavy list it was up against some army that doesn't give a gently caress about mortal wounds?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

SteelMentor posted:

just before I'm due for a trip down to Warham World for an interview.

Good luck on the interview.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

Can I click these at work? I am imagining the nurgle dice, just in different colors. With nipples.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Felime posted:

Can I click these at work? I am imagining the nurgle dice, just in different colors. With nipples.

They're just plain dice.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Fluff question:

Do Deathwatch vehicles come from a donating chapter?

The Deathwatch vehicles I see online are in full Deathwatch livery but I'm wondering if this is secondment or actual ownership.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 19, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

Even with the best playtesting set-up possible (which GW likely doesn't have), the number of realistic playtest games is tiny compared to the number that got played on day 1 of the release or even earlier given the whole thing leaked a month ahead of time. Playtests are also playing with a constantly changing version of the rules and indexes, and you're limited by what they play well or don't like or know about etc.

Plus even fairly obvious rules interactions are easy to miss - after the fact it's clear to everyone that Conscripts are too good for their points thanks to a number of factors (reliable DS which needs blocking, likelihood of T1 assaults, the new Morale system, etc.) but it's easy to miss if you're trying to playtest 18 factions and the rules changed again this morning because Dave wanted to try out rolling for reserves, etc.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Dammit why'd they have to wait til a week after the Goonmeet to make those dice pots available?

Schadenboner posted:

Fluff question:

Do Deathwatch vehicles come from a donating chapter?

The Deathwatch vehicles I see online are in full Deathwatch livery but I'm wondering if this is secondment or actual ownership.

Pretty sure the vehicles themselves are from the Deathwatch, Chapters only loan out Marines and their Power Armour.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Zark the Damned posted:

Dammit why'd they have to wait til a week after the Goonmeet to make those dice pots available?

Pretty sure the vehicles themselves are from the Deathwatch, Chapters only loan out Marines and their Power Armour.

10,000+ year old Cerebus, in-fluff one of literally maybe a few dozen which exist anymore in the goddamn known universe: yeah, sure, go ahead and have that!
Line Mk 7 suit: WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, LET'S NOT GO CRAZY HERE...

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 19, 2017

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
Bit of a long shot, but does anyone have spare crew models from the GSC Goliath? I'm specifically looking for the standing guys crewing the heavy stubber or seismic cannon etc control panel. For some reason I am having a really tough time finding either them or some similar guardsman model to use for some conversion work I'm doing where I want to have somebody standing in the back of a vehicle firing a mounted weapon.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

goose willis posted:

For priming fleshy poo poo like poxwalkers do you prefer black, grey, or white

TheChirurgeon posted:

prime everything black

always

never compromise
Jesus, gently caress, this is the worst advice ever, and you assholes should know better. What, are your trying to provoke more enraged honking in this thread? "I took your advice and primed my stuff black and now my models look like poo poo because it took me 20 coats of (too thick) paint to cover it decently!" followed shortly by "How do I strip models?"

Goose, unless you want to spend all your time painting MANY layers of fleshy poo poo over black to get good, consistent coverage that doesn't look drab and lovely, do yourself a favor and start over gray. Only go with white if you want your base tone to be some kind of super-vibrant, light primary color (like red or yellow).

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I've decided to darken up a shade, and go for a Karak Stone armour colour. Rakarth into Pallid is lovely, but Jesus it takes too long per Marine.

This was my second Marine in the centre, (prototype with too thick paint on the right) who felt like a huge improvement in consistency: (Nothing done but armour, obviously)

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 19, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zark the Damned posted:

How about instead of half the difficulty, a cumulative scaling penalty? e.g. -1 for the second cast, -3 for the second, -6 for the third, and so on?

Might be worth considering. My main goal was to find a way to enable consecutive casting for all powers with varying degrees of results.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Can anyone explain how the detachment voodoo works for including stuff like inquisitors, acolytes and assassins in a Grey Knights army?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

TWSS posted:

Can anyone explain how the detachment voodoo works for including stuff like inquisitors, acolytes and assassins in a Grey Knights army?

Everything in the same detachment has to be the same faction but you can include them in separate detachments.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

TWSS posted:

Imperium Soup. If you want GK exclusive stratagems, though, best to keep them as separate detachments. Some people splash in an Assassin and eat the -1 CP to have them as auxiliary detachments without needing another troop or HQ as tax.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

mango sentinel posted:

They're just plain dice.

For the low low price of a quid each!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Shockeh posted:

I've decided to darken up a shade, and go for a Karak Stone armour colour. Rakarth into Pallid is lovely, but Jesus it takes too long per Marine.

This was my second Marine in the centre, (prototype with too thick paint on the right) who felt like a huge improvement in consistency: (Nothing done but armour, obviously)

These own.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ilor posted:

Jesus, gently caress, this is the worst advice ever, and you assholes should know better. What, are your trying to provoke more enraged honking in this thread? "I took your advice and primed my stuff black and now my models look like poo poo because it took me 20 coats of (too thick) paint to cover it decently!" followed shortly by "How do I strip models?"

Goose, unless you want to spend all your time painting MANY layers of fleshy poo poo over black to get good, consistent coverage that doesn't look drab and lovely, do yourself a favor and start over gray. Only go with white if you want your base tone to be some kind of super-vibrant, light primary color (like red or yellow).

This is the lone voice of reason, calling out in the wilderness.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ilor posted:

Whatever, scrub. I'm gonna prime my poxwalkers black

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TheChirurgeon posted:

Whatever, scrub. I'm gonna prime my poxwalkers black

I did and they came out great.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I tend to prefer darker more "realistic" tones and find that priming black really helps with that. If I'm painting yellow or white in spots I just drop a layer of tan (Tausept Ochre or whatever they call it now) first to get better coverage and complement the color.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

mango sentinel posted:

I did and they came out great.

PierreTheMime posted:

I tend to prefer darker more "realistic" tones and find that priming black really helps with that. If I'm painting yellow or white in spots I just drop a layer of tan (Tausept Ochre or whatever they call it now) first to get better coverage and complement the color.

These guys get it. I use Reaper Snow Shadow as the base when I'm going to paint white.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Shockeh posted:

These look fantastic.

FromTheShire posted:

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone have spare crew models from the GSC Goliath? I'm specifically looking for the standing guys crewing the heavy stubber or seismic cannon etc control panel. For some reason I am having a really tough time finding either them or some similar guardsman model to use for some conversion work I'm doing where I want to have somebody standing in the back of a vehicle firing a mounted weapon.

I have these guys. Don't have a planned use for them as I got the Goliath for use in Gorkamorka.

I'm away from home for a few weeks though so wouldn't be able to send them for a fairly long while.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

goose willis posted:

For priming fleshy poo poo like poxwalkers do you prefer black, grey, or white

If you're going to paint with glazes/very thin coats I'd recommend a zenithal prime, where you prime black to start with, and then hit the top of the model with a grey, so all the recesses are pre-shaded. Otherwise a grey primer is the easiest, most neutral point to start from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ineptmule posted:

I have these guys. Don't have a planned use for them as I got the Goliath for use in Gorkamorka.

I'm away from home for a few weeks though so wouldn't be able to send them for a fairly long while.

I don't need any, but are they normal (Guardish) humans or do they look all tyranidy/culty?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 19, 2017