Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bored As gently caress posted:

Yes clearly it's just as simple as that. No person wanting to commit suicide by cop has ever hurt a cop before, and he couldn't have a gun or different knife hidden on him.

Calmly walking up and putting hands on him is retarded. They should have tased him. If they didn't have tasers, they could have kept backing up until someone could get behind him and tackle him, but if they had to use deadly force (If he suddenly charged with the knife, pulled out a gun) that person would be in the line of fire, so that's probably why they didn't do that. They had their weapons drawn because he wasn't listening to verbal commands and was continuing to approach them. For all they knew, he could have a knife anywhere, and could decide to pull it out and charge them at any time during the confrontation.

They did the best they could in a lovely situation. They're not superhuman. They are going through a body alarm reaction, and they may be experiencing perceptual distortions (tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, etc) due to the adrenaline and other chemicals being dumped into their system. The guy turned out to not have a big gently caress off knife on him, but he easily could have and hindsight is 20/20. They didn't know that at the time. All they knew was the guy was armed with at least one knife.

Sorry your job is so hard you have to shoot the goober with a Gerber.

Thanks for your service.

"Can we afford to just wait this out for a few minutes while we're three to one with weapons out in the open in broad daylight on a college campus?"

"Nah smoke him, it's the only way to save him. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
"All visitors will be preemptively shot for our protection"

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The thing that really annoys me about poo poo like this is that plenty of cops taser / tackle / fight with / talk to &etc knife weilding weirdos all over the country every loving day and manage not to shoot anyone

Edit: in 2015 the NYPD responded to 66,447 radio calls that reportedly involved weapons and made 4,924 firearms arrests.

Out of 66,447 calls, 33 people were shot by the NYPD.

That's 0.04%

get your poo poo together Georgia tech

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 19, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Peetown Manning posted:

Well whatever side we picked...our influence was probably getting kicked out. That is what I find fascinating about the Iranian revolution. Student revolution in the US meant a borderline Dionysian orgy with liberal politics the day after. The students of Iran got together and choose fuckin' Islamic dictatorship lol.
Islamists were part of the protest movement, and then turned on the rest of the participants.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Personally I agree, they should've used a taser or ASPs. I was just trying to give an insight to their reasoning and rebut the whole "just walk up to him" comment.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yes clearly it's just as simple as that. No person wanting to commit suicide by cop has ever hurt a cop before, and he couldn't have a gun or different knife hidden on him.

Calmly walking up and putting hands on him is retarded. They should have tased him. If they didn't have tasers, they could have kept backing up until someone could get behind him and tackle him, but if they had to use deadly force (If he suddenly charged with the knife, pulled out a gun) that person would be in the line of fire, so that's probably why they didn't do that. They had their weapons drawn because he wasn't listening to verbal commands and was continuing to approach them. For all they knew, he could have a knife anywhere, and could decide to pull it out and charge them at any time during the confrontation.

They did the best they could in a lovely situation. They're not superhuman. They are going through a body alarm reaction, and they may be experiencing perceptual distortions (tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, etc) due to the adrenaline and other chemicals being dumped into their system. The guy turned out to not have a big gently caress off knife on him, but he easily could have and hindsight is 20/20. They didn't know that at the time. All they knew was the guy was armed with at least one knife.

Yet there have been plenty of incidents of police using restraint to disarm people who are obviously suicidal without icing them. It's happened locally a few times I can remember even with people armed with firearms.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Perhaps the best way to deal with people with homicidal perceptual deficits, even if they're "doing their best," is to not give them a frikkin' gun.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

If anyone is curious the NYPD actually tracks all firearm discharges and puts out a report every year, (usually around November) here's a link to the PDF for 2015:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...8C7JiOfb5mfCW2A

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Personally I agree, they should've used a taser or ASPs. I was just trying to give an insight to their reasoning and rebut the whole "just walk up to him" comment.

Three people coming from three directions should be sufficient to walk up and get hands on. There is zero reason to gun down this kid from 10-15ft away.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

DoktorLoken posted:

Yet there have been plenty of incidents of police using restraint to disarm people who are obviously suicidal without icing them. It's happened locally a few times I can remember even with people armed with firearms.

That's great. Did they do that by calmly walking up to the guy and putting their hands on him? Because that's what the poster I was quoting was recommending.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Of course if he pulls out a gun or tries to stab someone you react accordingly.

That still doesn't mean mag dumping from a distance.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

That's great. Did they do that by calmly walking up to the guy and putting their hands on him? Because that's what the poster I was quoting was recommending.

In plenty of cases, yes. There were zero reasons to shoot this guy.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

In plenty of cases, yes. There were zero reasons to shoot this guy.
Oh. Well I guess I'm the rear end in a top hat.

https://youtu.be/8bBNgxInYfQ#t=99m12s

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I feel if you give panicky people guns they'll look for any excuse to shoot someone who appears hostile. So maybe cops shouldn't have guns, if they're always able to use the "HES COMING RIGHT FOR US" defense, even if the victim is only kinda ambling towards them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

M_Gargantua posted:

Ahh, proper understanding of deescalation raises its ugly head again. "Let's not issue non-lethal methods because idiots will just lethally misuse them by accident." Police departments are the ones who are very very wrong in this case.

Nah, the answer is to properly train the cops, it doesn't have to be an either-or. It's just that proper training is expensive and time consuming whereas just taking away the tazer and marking everything A Good Shoot is way easier and leaves fewer litigants.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

KildarX posted:

I feel if you give panicky people guns they'll look for any excuse to shoot someone who appears hostile. So maybe cops shouldn't have guns, if they're always able to use the "HES COMING RIGHT FOR US" defense, even if the victim is only kinda ambling towards them.

There's something to be said about the level of gun proliferation in the US and officers being put into situations without backup (which is another thing that just endangers everyone they encounter). If all police firearms are stored in locked containers in the car that require breaking a seal and writing a length report every time one gets pulled out, that could help them think twice while keeping the tools available.

But after the last few years, gently caress it. If they're going to be paranoid, trigger happy, and unaccountable, just disarm them.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Oh. Well I guess I'm the rear end in a top hat.

https://youtu.be/8bBNgxInYfQ#t=99m12s

Yeah, you are

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

They didn't do the best they could in a lovely situation. They did lovely in a lovely situation. If this was a training scenario they would have failed, it wasn't and now a EDP is dead with is also a failure.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There's something to be said about the level of gun proliferation in the US and officers being put into situations without backup (which is another thing that just endangers everyone they encounter). If all police firearms are stored in locked containers in the car that require breaking a seal and writing a length report every time one gets pulled out, that could help them think twice while keeping the tools available.

But after the last few years, gently caress it. If they're going to be paranoid, trigger happy, and unaccountable, just disarm them.

I don't know if that's the solution. European police by and large seem to handle being armed (including submachineguns even) without routinely gunning people down unnecessarily. Seems like a training and personality (as in what type of person is selected to become a police officer) issue from my perspective.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, the kind of people that generally want to become cops, are not the kind of people you want to be cops.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

DoktorLoken posted:

I don't know if that's the solution. European police by and large seem to handle being armed (including submachineguns even) without routinely gunning people down unnecessarily. Seems like a training and personality (as in what type of person is selected to become a police officer) issue from my perspective.

Idk how it is in Europe but in the US people watch movies like Lethal Weapon and decide they want to be Martin Riggs for a living.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Honestly the real problem is the development of a police culture that prioritizes self-preservation over EVERYTHING as opposed to merely emphasizing it, and the total lack of national decent standards.

Some police departments expect you to pay for your own training and then offer $9 a hour with no benefits . You're gonna get some hosed up employees in those locations. (You're gonna get some good ones also, but they move on).

Other departments don't train enough (just about everybody tbh) because they lack the budget and manpower.

European departments usually have 2 years training and actual standards.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah, the number one way to get better police is to flat out pay them better across the board. More money means better recruits, better training, better equipment, etc. Same with teachers and most public servants of the same type. Problem is, in order to do so you have to actually tax wealthy people and gently caress that better to let poor people die.

These are honestly places where more federalism would probably help and some nationwide standards would be a boon.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm guessing GAtech PD wouldn't be anyone's first choice for department in the Atlanta metro area?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, the number one way to get better police is to flat out pay them better across the board. Same with teachers and most public servants of the same type. Problem is, in order to do so you have to actually tax wealthy people and gently caress that better to let poor people die.

Anecdotal, but Chicago cops easily make 70-80k last I looked, yet they've been consistently criticized for their use of force incidents.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
law enforcement has spent two decades working itself into a frenzy of US VS THEM WAR ON POLICE SHEEPDOG bullshit and there isnt really a fix for that short of firing literally everyone, banning them from ever working in law enforcement again and suddenly doubling the pay

the entire culture is toxic and its been made only worse by our post-9/11 love affair of all things authority

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, I was in the background check process for Chicago and withdrew after one of their cops pumped 16 rounds into a drugged out kid walking down the street with a knife. I figure that the culture at the moment is so hopelessly broken that I'd not be able to make a positive difference.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Idk how it is in Europe but in the US people watch movies like Lethal Weapon and decide they want to be Martin Riggs for a living.

I guess they missed the part where his Christmas was looking at a picture of his dead wife and nearly eating his gun.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

DoktorLoken posted:

Anecdotal, but Chicago cops easily make 70-80k last I looked, yet they've been consistently criticized for their use of force incidents.

How does that 70-80k shape up in Chicago cost of living wise? I'm not up on the local numbers. Given that it's one of the largest cities in the country, though, I'm going to guess it's got higher than average cost of living. My hunch is that this is only a good salary if you live someone in suburbia and commute like a motherfucker.

And I was in the process of editing when you quoted me to emphasize I wasn't just meaning salary, but more money for equipment and training along with federal standards.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Peetown Manning posted:

Well whatever side we picked...our influence was probably getting kicked out. That is what I find fascinating about the Iranian revolution. Student revolution in the US meant a borderline Dionysian orgy with liberal politics the day after. The students of Iran got together and choose fuckin' Islamic dictatorship lol.

Read about anglo-persian oil and the shah of Iran and then you might see why they went away from the west

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

DoktorLoken posted:

I figure that the culture at the moment is so hopelessly broken that I'd not be able to make a positive difference.

you can make more of a difference than you might think

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

I checked the reddit thread on this and it is predominantly saying "(((George Soros))) paid antifa protestors to malign the honor of the good police."

Really bizarre seeing hundreds of people openly claim this poo poo in public. What's happened to us?

It turns out that ironic posting broke a lot of people.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

How does that 70-80k shape up in Chicago cost of living wise? I'm not up on the local numbers. Given that it's one of the largest cities in the country, though, I'm going to guess it's got higher than average cost of living. My hunch is that this is only a good salary if you live someone in suburbia and commute like a motherfucker.

And I was in the process of editing when you quoted me to emphasize I wasn't just meaning salary, but more money for equipment and training along with federal standards.

It's not super wealthy but Chicago has a pretty reasonable cost of living for a major metropolis compared to say NYC or LA.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
The only thing I get out of these "cop shoots unarmed man/woman/child" is that cops are the biggest pussies around and should be mocked for being scared all the time.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Read about anglo-persian oil and the shah of Iran and then you might see why they went away from the west

Yeah, it's always 10th level chess in the middle east, but the fuckhead Shah had no plan of succession, no next strongman in the bullpen, no plan for democracy, nothing. And the people were tired of his poo poo, as westernized as it was on the surface. So they threw it all out and backslid bigtime. Common Middle Eastern syndrome. Then out of loyalty to policy, Jimmy Carter would not let them have his walking corpse back to stone or whatever, and boy did that backfire. That's all they loving wanted from the U.S. at that point. gently caress you, Jimmy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

DoktorLoken posted:

Isn't rent insane in area where you would want to live as a cop I.E. where you won't be a target?

In my old home city every officer had a bean bag shotty up front and a rifle in the trunk. The last officer shooting was of a known mental health problem but the kid was carrying and pointing a water pistol painted to look like a pistol.
Can't really blame them for that.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

bird cooch posted:

The only thing I get out of these "cop shoots unarmed man/woman/child" is that cops are the biggest pussies around and should be mocked for being scared all the time.

Why not really stomp on the gas and shoot a pregnant woman in the back.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Yeah, it's always 10th level chess in the middle east, but the fuckhead Shah had no plan of succession, no next strongman in the bullpen, no plan for democracy, nothing. And the people were tired of his poo poo, as westernized as it was on the surface. So they threw it all out and backslid bigtime. Common Middle Eastern syndrome. Then out of loyalty to policy, Jimmy Carter would not let them have his walking corpse back to stone or whatever, and boy did that backfire. That's all they loving wanted from the U.S. at that point. gently caress you, Jimmy.

Well that whole operation ajax thing didn't help lol

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
"I can't take this motherfucker anywhere."

https://twitter.com/colincampbell/status/910195683721916419

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Capn Beeb posted:

Why not really stomp on the gas and shoot a pregnant woman in the back.

"... I shot a kid baby fetus!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMZZ5lXZFMk

• Locked thread