Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

just a heads up, Pirate's Cutlass is a bad card. especially in limited. while first glance it feels like artificer's goggles, it doesn't function with anywhere near the flexibility. you only get its bonus effect (free equip) the first time you drop it, and it needs to attach to a pirate then and there. unlike the goggles where dropping new artificers meant you could snap em on, this doesn't have that boon and you're stuck paying 2 to move it to new creatures. it's a 3 drop too, so most of the time you have it in your hand, you're spending it when you could instead be putting down a creature or casting a spell to help ramp/draw a card. it's counterproductive to the Pirate plan to win unless its going on a flyer/menace creature, and most of the time you have it you're gonna wish it was just any other card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

What? Pirate's cutlass is a tribal trusty machete, a very good card in limited. 2 mana is a very reasonable equip cost.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ein Sexmonster posted:

trusty machete, a very good card in limited

um

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Trusty machete was a very strong card in zendikar limited, yes.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
zendikar limited had more tiny bodies to put them on that were overwhelmingly aggressive (steppe lynx, plated geopede)

Limiting who carries it initially along with the somewhat steep 5 mana investment if you lack a pirate on board for your initial placement, I can see why he says it'll be an overall tempo loss.

Keep in mind there's a lot of big booty dudes in this set, too, the stats from the cutlass may not make the cut.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Sestze posted:

zendikar limited had more tiny bodies to put them on that were overwhelmingly aggressive (steppe lynx, plated geopede)

Limiting who carries it initially along with the somewhat steep 5 mana investment if you lack a pirate on board for your initial placement, I can see why he says it'll be an overall tempo loss.

Keep in mind there's a lot of big booty dudes in this set, too, the stats from the cutlass may not make the cut.
Sure, but pirates are the cheap, aggressive/evasive tribe in this set. Also I totally agree that you don't want this if you don't have the right pirate count - this is really for decks with 9+ pirates. But when you do it singlehandedly turns any evasive creature into a clock - +2/+1 is a lot better than +1/+2.
While there are a lot of big creatures there isn't much cheap removal to punish you. And 2 mana to reequip isn't bad at all.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
You can certainly just draft r/w aggro in this set and get away with it. T2 Otepec Huntmaster into t3 Nest Robber + Territorial Hammerskull and crash for 5 is pretty cool.

E: screw it, here's the full deck

2 Bishop's Soldier
1 Fathom Fleet Firebrand
2 Nest Robber
1 Otepec Huntmaster
1 Raptor Companion
1 Raptor Hatchling
1 Sky Terror
2 Skyblade of the Legion
1 Tilonalli's Knight
1 Headstrong Brute
2 Territorial Hammerskull
1 Pterodon Knight
1 Storm Fleet Pyromancer
1 Slash of Talons
1 Sure Strike
1 Dinosaur Stampede
1 Firecannon Blast
1 Ixalan's Binding
2 Pious Interdiction
8 Plains
8 Mountain

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 19, 2017

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

question about lifelink: it says multiple sources of damage against a single target are redundant. does that mean if I have two lifelink creatures hitting my opponent directly (no creatures blocking), I only gain life from one of them?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

question about lifelink: it says multiple sources of damage against a single target are redundant. does that mean if I have two lifelink creatures hitting my opponent directly (no creatures blocking), I only gain life from one of them?

No it means that if a single creature has lifelink twice you only gain life once. In your example you gain life from both creatures.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Edit: beaten

Tainen fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 19, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Omar al-Bishie posted:

No, it's multiple sources of lifelink on the same thing that are redundant. So if you give a creature lifelink twice and it deals combat damage, you're still only gaining life equal to the damage, not double it.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Trusty machete was a very strong card in zendikar limited, yes.

zendikar limited was absurdly aggressive though

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

that makes a lot more sense, thank you

Dehtraen posted:

For hexproof it depends on who controls what is being targeted by the spell / ability - if it is your object that is being targeted by your opponents spell/ability then it fizzles, if it is your opponents object and their spell/ability and you give it specifically hexproof then it resolves.

For shroud it fizzles regardless of ownership.

why does hexproof resolve differently in this way? does targeting your own creature work differently than targeting an opponent's creatures?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
His explanation is a bit awkwardly worded. If I give Hexproof to my own creature, I can still target it, my opponent can't. If I give Hexproof to an opponent's creature, it doesn't care that I'm the one that gave it Hexproof, it just sees that it's Hexproof now, so only its controller can target it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Omar al-Bishie posted:

that makes a lot more sense, thank you

why does hexproof resolve differently in this way? does targeting your own creature work differently than targeting an opponent's creatures?

Hexproof prevents the opponents of the creature's controller from targeting it, so if you give hexproof to your opponent's creature you become unable to target that creature.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

oh duh. that's why hexproof is hexproof and not shroud. thanks again. hope I'm not cluttering the thread with my noobish questions!

I'm really loving this budget white humans deck. It's super aggressive and unless an opponent plays something that specifically counters 1 or 2 drops (which has happened) it always feels like I have something to play.

Imposing Sovereign is a card I definitely underestimated when I checked out the deck list for the first time. Having your opponents creatures come in tapped is super useful almost all of the time except against some combo decks

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
So RG Dinos might be competitive after all. I've been whooping up on xmage with this

Clever Girl
4 Drover of the Mighty
4 Otepec Huntmaster
2 Raptor Hatchling
4 Rampaging Ferocidon
2 Ranging Raptors
4 Ripjaw Raptor
3 Regisaur Alpha

4 Attune with Aether
2 Rile
2 Magma Spray
1 Savage Stomp
4 Harnessed Lightning

2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

4 Aether Hub
4 Sheltered Thicket
4 Rootbound Crag
5 Forest
4 Mountain

Side
2 Magma Spray
2 Savage Stomp
4 Shock
4 Blossoming Defense
1 Chandra
2 Abrade

Otepec Huntmaster is so gross. I don't think I've lost a game where the opponent didn't have immediate removal for it. Burning Sun's Avatar is also spectacular

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

The Kiss

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wait, untap? I thought the whole point was to tap???

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

As easy as untap/upkeep/draw, huh.

That might be hard for some players...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is this Travis Woo's new stint? He seems the type

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

sit on my Facebook posted:

So RG Dinos might be competitive after all. I've been whooping up on xmage with this

Clever Girl
4 Drover of the Mighty
4 Otepec Huntmaster
2 Raptor Hatchling
4 Rampaging Ferocidon
2 Ranging Raptors
4 Ripjaw Raptor
3 Regisaur Alpha

4 Attune with Aether
2 Rile
2 Magma Spray
1 Savage Stomp
4 Harnessed Lightning

2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

4 Aether Hub
4 Sheltered Thicket
4 Rootbound Crag
5 Forest
4 Mountain

Side
2 Magma Spray
2 Savage Stomp
4 Shock
4 Blossoming Defense
1 Chandra
2 Abrade

Otepec Huntmaster is so gross. I don't think I've lost a game where the opponent didn't have immediate removal for it. Burning Sun's Avatar is also spectacular

Is it worth trying Commune With Dinosaurs instead of Attune with Aether? Harnessed Lightning and Aether Hub suffer, but a two color deck needs fixing a bit less, and Commune is very relevant later.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Don't doxx me

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

sit on my Facebook posted:

[...]

Stealing this, will report back.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Shouldn't any red deck auto include 4x Lightning Strike

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Does red white ramp into dinos make sense? You have the one drop 0/3 that makes dinos cheaper, then a 2 drop that also makes dinos cheaper and have haste, then turn three drop Monstrosaur? That way you can still control the board with white removal and that Vizier of Headbutts dino. Aerosaur would also be a nasty follow-up.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Why is the website censored? I need to see more!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Does red white ramp into dinos make sense? You have the one drop 0/3 that makes dinos cheaper, then a 2 drop that also makes dinos cheaper and have haste, then turn three drop Monstrosaur? That way you can still control the board with white removal and that Vizier of Headbutts dino. Aerosaur would also be a nasty follow-up.

you lose out on the best dinosaurs by a huge margin. Regisaur alpha, ripjaw raptor and (to a lesser extent) carnage tyrant are the reasons you want to play dinosaurs

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

TheDemon posted:

Is it worth trying Commune With Dinosaurs instead of Attune with Aether? Harnessed Lightning and Aether Hub suffer, but a two color deck needs fixing a bit less, and Commune is very relevant later.

Yeah it's certainly worth trying. My initial thought was that I really wanted to support harnessed lightning so the deck had reliable removal across the curve for things bigger than X/3 but I could easily see commune being as good or better. That said, I definitely did not find myself to be light on threats in testing, and aether hub/Attune made the mana pretty flawless in terms of both hitting my colors and the lands being reliably untapped across the whole mana curve and harnessed lightning is the best creature removal in the format by a mile.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The gang isn't really happy with this set as far as constructed standard is concerned. Lots of people are grumbling that mono red is so much better than everything else that its not close. The close friends of mine that play standard are telling me the red decks just have everything and every other deck is suffering from losing cards. Yeah, and removal against an indestructible hasty seems pretty bad this time around.

I would hate this if it turns out to be true because a red deck like this needs to exist often enough to keep things balanced. I feel like its more of other decks getting so much worse than them just reprinting lightning strike.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Shouldn't any red deck auto include 4x Lightning Strike

I assumed it ran harnessed lightning instead so you could occasionally ping your own dino's for enrage purposes?

Sickening posted:

The gang isn't really happy with this set as far as constructed standard is concerned. Lots of people are grumbling that mono red is so much better than everything else that its not close. The close friends of mine that play standard are telling me the red decks just have everything and every other deck is suffering from losing cards. Yeah, and removal against an indestructible hasty seems pretty bad this time around.

I would hate this if it turns out to be true because a red deck like this needs to exist often enough to keep things balanced. I feel like its more of other decks getting so much worse than them just reprinting lightning strike.

Canadian Nationals happen before any big standard tournaments next month.

I played R/U Emerge the entire time it was standard legal, and since that entire deck rotates out in a week I need to find something new to jam standard reps in with. Also, I really don't want to play ramunap red.

I'm torn between running the following decks:

- Jund Gods (I had originally built this as my go-to deck for post rotation, but then hour of devastation just loving wrecks the deck)
Upsides: blocks ramunap red pretty effectively, I have experience with the deck, lightning strike slots right in, control decks are moving to U/B instead of U/R so the odds of getting hour of devastation'd are much lower.

- U/W or Jeskai God Pharaoh's Gift.
Upsides: Has some decent game against ramunap red, gains life, has a huge value engine, similar play style to R/U emerge, can have insanely powerful starts. Stormtamer siren is going to be a loving house in this deck
Downsides: Can be hated out so loving easily. If people are prepared for this deck, then it does not bode well.

- U/W or Jeskai Tempo/fliers.
Upsides: It's just flash/flying creatures.dek with the pirate mana-leak and other tempo cards
Downsides: This is the brewiest of brews.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 19, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Red is definitely good but I don't think we're in a caw blade place where it can't even be hated out of the format even while you expect to see it. We'll see though. Pushing back the PT will shake up how things develop too.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

So I'm getting into Standard for good now and while getting decklists isn't a problem, I'm having a hard time finding decent write-ups of stuff like general deck guides or sideboard strategies. Any pointers? Right now I'm just getting myself accustomed to the format staples (Temur Energy, Mardu Vehicles, Ramunap); I know some of those cards will have to be cut next week but so far all signs point towards these decks surviving the rotation.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
It'd probably be okay to unban Snuggler's Copter now that Ligtning Strike and Abrade are both in the format. Right?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

gif Probst posted:

just a heads up, Pirate's Cutlass is a bad card. especially in limited. while first glance it feels like artificer's goggles, it doesn't function with anywhere near the flexibility. you only get its bonus effect (free equip) the first time you drop it, and it needs to attach to a pirate then and there. unlike the goggles where dropping new artificers meant you could snap em on, this doesn't have that boon and you're stuck paying 2 to move it to new creatures. it's a 3 drop too, so most of the time you have it in your hand, you're spending it when you could instead be putting down a creature or casting a spell to help ramp/draw a card. it's counterproductive to the Pirate plan to win unless its going on a flyer/menace creature, and most of the time you have it you're gonna wish it was just any other card.

Uh I think it's better than you're giving it credit for. The stats aren't embarrassing.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

+2: Check your phone to see what the guide says to do next.
0: Stand there and try to come up with something really clever to say.
-1: She leaves.
-12: lol you'll never get to this one

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Tubgoat posted:

It'd probably be okay to unban Snuggler's Copter now that Ligtning Strike and Abrade are both in the format. Right?

Possibly, but I don't see WotC ever unbanning things in Standard given the controversy of any bannings in the format to begin with and that the card will rotate out eventually.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This is sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Tubgoat posted:

Smuggler's Copter might possibly see an unban, though unlikely. SNUGGLER'S Copter on the other hand, depending on the cuteness of the puppies, is too adorable to be unbanned.