Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

banned from Starbucks posted:

These horror movies need more safe spaces.

It has little to do with this meme and everything to do with narrative.

One basic question is why this scene is at the start of the film, given that it is ostensibly Bill's dream sequence - when Bill both was not there and had no idea of Pennywise yet.

In the miniseries, we have the metaphor of the photo album: the adult Mike narrates about the contents of the album, from a book that he wrote but does not remember writing. So what we see in the miniseries is Mike's version of his book's version of adult Bill's version of what kid Bill figured were Georgie's last moments. So this scene, in the miniseries, serves as characterization for at least three characters - but, primarily, it's about Mike. Mike is trying to convey, to us, what Bill was going through.

And when you keep in mind that Mike is the narrator of the miniseries, you can note such things as how he wasn't there for the entire climactic spider-battle. So, like where is that coming from?

The same applies to the opening scene of this film, but things are stranger without this frame story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

The TV movie sucks except for the 5 minutes Curry is on screen.

Are you forgetting 90s Annette O'toole?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't know who that is, so yeah I guess. If she played Bev she sucked too.

They all suck down here. Yes they do!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I can see where Yaws is coming from. (I was sort of saying it a few pages back.) For me, the scene wasn't scary, just gratuitous. But not gratuitous enough to make any sort of impact with its gratuity. It was weird for me, just this bit of sanitized CGI child mutilation that felt neither artful or truly shocking. Maybe I've just seen too many movies.

Oh totally. I don't think the miniseries, with it's silly freeze frame, or the movie, with it's weird looking assault on Georgie, are good. All the power in both those scenes are in the lead up, where we're watching this child become slowly lured into a trap.

I would have probably cut to a side shot, showing Georgie reaching into the sewer, then recoil with his missing arm. He screams and falls backwards. Cut to his face. It's a frozen mask of insane horror, while in the background you hear running footsteps approaching, and an adult begins shaking Georgie and screaming his name.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The key moment for me was Georgie crawling away from the sewer and weeping, that was a splendid display of grotesque misery and was quite upsetting.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

SirDrone posted:

If anything I think Mimic had the most horrible and gut-wrenching on-screen child death I've ever seen, the blob comes close as a kid gets dragged into it and then jumps out a screaming skeleton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNzRTgiHLCc

Heck lets keep this train rolling with something from Mr. King himself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYwOfShX41I

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Tom Guycot posted:

This owns.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Georgie scene really got under my skin because that blonde little guy in his little yellow coat reminded me of my own brother at that age, who would go out exploring/climbing on things on his own and sometimes getting injured.

It was more gratuitous than it really needed to be, but the choice they made was effective as hell, at least for me.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It has little to do with this meme and everything to do with narrative.

One basic question is why this scene is at the start of the film, given that it is ostensibly Bill's dream sequence - when Bill both was not there and had no idea of Pennywise yet.

In the miniseries, we have the metaphor of the photo album: the adult Mike narrates about the contents of the album, from a book that he wrote but does not remember writing. So what we see in the miniseries is Mike's version of his book's version of adult Bill's version of what kid Bill figured were Georgie's last moments. So this scene, in the miniseries, serves as characterization for at least three characters - but, primarily, it's about Mike. Mike is trying to convey, to us, what Bill was going through.

And when you keep in mind that Mike is the narrator of the miniseries, you can note such things as how he wasn't there for the entire climactic spider-battle. So, like where is that coming from?

The same applies to the opening scene of this film, but things are stranger without this frame story.

The opening scene of the actual film contradicting your stupid self-indulgent wankery isn't weird at all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The opening scene of the actual film contradicting your stupid self-indulgent wankery isn't weird at all.
Regardless of SMG's interpretations, It targeting Georgie seems odd. So much of the rest of the movie is about coming-of-age, puberty, periods, etc., with It only seeming to target kids around that age. Why pick Georgie, who's so young and innocent?

And, why make such a point of having no one witness the actual incident? Seems like it would have been fairly effective to show the neighbor lady witnessing him being eaten/dragged and just not notice it or respond appropriately, just like how Bev's dad can't see the blood.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
So that kids' show, the "kill them all" show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9MW62py8KU

I think that's a bunch of dead kids. Patrick Hockstetter is in the front row, wearing his bloody shirt. Didn't catch any other faces but I'm guessing at least some are kids we've heard about. And Pennywise has his arms around a couple of them :stare: Didn't catch that while watching.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

BUT IMAGINE if it was all a dream... Wouldn't that make it better?

(no)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Martman posted:

Regardless of SMG's interpretations, It targeting Georgie seems odd. So much of the rest of the movie is about coming-of-age, puberty, periods, etc., with It only seeming to target kids around that age. Why pick Georgie, who's so young and innocent?

And, why make such a point of having no one witness the actual incident? Seems like it would have been fairly effective to show the neighbor lady witnessing him being eaten/dragged and just not notice it or respond appropriately, just like how Bev's dad can't see the blood.

George was the one that kicked off that cycle, he was basically the appetizer.

The wings, if you will.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Martman posted:

The movie makes it a little more fuzzy since they aged up the kids a little, and you don't really get any details on all the other kids IT took, including some as young as 3 in the book.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

If that was the start then It was probably hungry after sleeping and ate the first thing It found. Like a bear after hibernation, or a drunk at a greasy takeaway at 4am

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Patric gets taken pretty quickly too. Sometimes you just wanna grab a snack before dinner, I guess.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Yaws posted:

I NEED GRAPHIC DEPICTIONS OF CHILDHOOD DISMEMBERMENT AND MURDER!

SUBTLETY? IMPLICATION? NOT WORDS IN MY VOCABULARY!

BLUNT VIOLENCE! THAT'S ALL I UNDSERSTAND

It appears as though the scene worked on you. Good job movie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Martman posted:

It's a change from the book, where George is witnessed having his arm torn off (and unambiguously dies instead of going missing). I get why they needed to give his brother some motivation I guess, but it's not like he's lacking for any in the source material either.

SMGs interpretation aside, there's no rhyme or reason as to why it targets George. It just does, though it falls slightly out of step with the rest of the movie where all the missing kids are teenagers. Not to make this movie Vs book but the same discrepancy isn't there.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

SMGs interpretation aside, there's no rhyme or reason as to why it targets George. It just does, though it falls slightly out of step with the rest of the movie where all the missing kids are teenagers. Not to make this movie Vs book but the same discrepancy isn't there.

Opportunity!

I forget, but in the movie Georgie is also the first kid to go missing yeah?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

I just realized you respond with this to mock people and you did it to me earlier in the thread :ohdear:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Tom Guycot posted:

Who knew a kid getting crushed by a steam roller could be so funny.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who knew a kid getting crushed by a steam roller could be so funny.

There's a behind-the-scenes story about it that is pretty funny. Originally the effects gag was planned to be more subtle, with just a little bit of blood smearing on the roller. But one of the effects technicians overloaded the blood bag, which pretty much caused the kid to appear to explode. King basically shrugged and was like, "gently caress it, chalk that one up to a happy accident."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Croisquessein posted:

So that kids' show, the "kill them all" show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9MW62py8KU

I think that's a bunch of dead kids. Patrick Hockstetter is in the front row, wearing his bloody shirt. Didn't catch any other faces but I'm guessing at least some are kids we've heard about. And Pennywise has his arms around a couple of them :stare: Didn't catch that while watching.

I got to go to the It haunted house they had set up in Los Angeles, it was okay, but one of the rooms had that video playing on a loop, and seeing it before the movie, the Pennywise reveal in the video spooked me a bit when first seeing it.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

Nroo posted:

Subtlety isn't inherently a virtue.

Water looked funny so I did a waft test instead of taking a sip.

I agree with you, and it's weird reading something like that from someone with a Man of Steel avatar. Don't want to give the wrong impression, Man of Steel is not only my favorite superhero movie ever it's one of my favorite films overall, but subtle ain't MoS' gig.

For the child violence, we don't have the relative comfort of reframing predators as psychotic outliers as the TV mini-series did. The scene sets up that we can't expect the monster to be mediated through some condescending John Wayne Gacy entertainment a la Curry. I get some folks wanting to be more entertained than horrified (or some combination thereof), but that scene does an effective job setting up the physical stakes along with a hint of the tormented psychological games It will be playing.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I've seen multiple reviews now where people say Bill Skarsgard had "massive shoes to fill" follwing Tim Curry, and not one of them has made a clown shoes joke. Not sure whether to be disappointed or happy about that.

Speaking as someone who has not read the book or watched the miniseries, I thought this movie was awesome. Definitely a crowdpleaser, seeing it in a theatre with a very receptive audience was really great. It's not without flaws, but it's pretty impressive that it sets up like seven main characters, the town of Derry, and a murderous shapeshifting clown monster all in two hours.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Fart City posted:

There's a behind-the-scenes story about it that is pretty funny. Originally the effects gag was planned to be more subtle, with just a little bit of blood smearing on the roller. But one of the effects technicians overloaded the blood bag, which pretty much caused the kid to appear to explode. King basically shrugged and was like, "gently caress it, chalk that one up to a happy accident."

Also, I think that gag went on longer and caused an MPAA member to feel ill, so King had to cut it back.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Blisster posted:

I've seen multiple reviews now where people say Bill Skarsgard had "massive shoes to fill" follwing Tim Curry, and not one of them has made a clown shoes joke. Not sure whether to be disappointed or happy about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_r3E8V6Utc&t=65s

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The opening scene does not contradict my admittedly outlandish theory that the film has a narrative, and characterization within that narrative. So the question is why the film suddenly adopts this stylishly nihilistic, exploitative point of view. With whom does this perspective align? Is this diegetic or extradiegetic? The film has already played with diegesis when the piano score is revealed to be coming from Bill's mom. When the aesthetics and the plot are read in concert, there are consequently implications that Bill is exploiting his brother's death (to make friends?), and so-on.

Your theory is that the film is antinarrative and neutral - effectively a nature documentary about the feeding habits of ghostly clowns. We are shown the arm ripped off because that is typical ghost clown behaviour, and this image just happened to be the clearest shot from the dozens of invisible cameras documenting the scene. And when we are shown a close-up of Georgie's screaming face as he claws away with his remaining arm, that is simply a typical prey-reaction.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

The brutality of Georgie's death added so much more to Bill's scenes later. Tormenting him with Georgie's memory was bad enough, but I knew Pennywise bit off more than he could chew (heh) when he said This isn't real enough for you Bill? It was real enough for Georgie. It was such a cheap shot, but it really empowered Bill in the end. So much of the movie depended on that opening scene.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I just realized you respond with this to mock people and you did it to me earlier in the thread :ohdear:

Ahaha I was just unironically agreeing with your sarcastic (?) statement that the goofy clown wasn't scary enough.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Saw it at a Marcus ultrascreen dlx which was a nice experience. Those seats are almost dangerously too comfy. They had it cranked up to 11 though so the Loud noises before the scares was pretty painful.

That said I really enjoyed the movie and wanted more. I've never read the book however have an office job so figured I'd listen to it on the tape. Picked up the version read by Steven Weber and what a fantastic job he does. Definitely recommend giving it a listen if you have the time.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Wasn't Steve Weber Bill's dad in the movie?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

No, he was Danny's.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Steve Webber is Mick Garris' go-to guy. They've worked together on Masters of Horror, the Shining remake and a few other projects. I love both dearly, but goddamn Steve Webber does NOT belong in horror movies (and Mick Garris should not be directing them).

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, I don't understand King's love for Garris. His adaptations, by and large, totally suck. The Stand is probably his best King adaptation and it's uneven at best. He did do Psycho IV though, which is pretty cool.

Steven Weber rules and I agree he isn't really suited for horror, but he'd absolutely kill it in a horror comedy.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Just realized something...

When Georgie goes down to the basement to get the wax he's scared of something he sees on the shelf, but it turns out to just be 3 light bulbs.

The whole movie is kids being scared of something that is really just 3 'dead lights.'

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

deoju posted:

Just realized something...

When Georgie goes down to the basement to get the wax he's scared of something he sees on the shelf, but it turns out to just be 3 light bulbs.

The whole movie is kids being scared of something that is really just 3 'dead lights.'

It's only two

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

It's only two

BondSworeSuccinctly
Oct 27, 2007

Something I noticed on my second viewing was that all the adults are watching that hosed up kids show almost everytime a tv is shown, and when bev goes into the living room to get the tape measure the show is on and the kids are talking about how they love playing in the sewers cause its a really fun and safe place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BondSworeSuccinctly posted:

Something I noticed on my second viewing was that all the adults are watching that hosed up kids show almost everytime a tv is shown, and when bev goes into the living room to get the tape measure the show is on and the kids are talking about how they love playing in the sewers cause its a really fun and safe place.

It's such a great bit.

• Locked thread