Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Elias_Maluco posted:

That's kinda what I said: the "alien-human-robot-guys" were humans who became synthetic after using the "soul upload" machine, whatever it was called (not sure about this one). The toasters (original robot Cylons) then made a pact with them to create human-cylons and these became the masters of the original robot cylons, kinda like the humans were before.

They even dumbed the toasters down so they would not think for themselves or something like that

I don't think the human models were masters, at least not originally, just infiltrators/diplomats. The more mechanical models definitely had just as much free will and intelligence as ever at the start of the war. It was later on (Season 3-ish?) that some of them got dumbed down, in fact the entire cause of the Cylon civil war was over whether or not to lobotomize the centurions/raiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Crazycryodude posted:

I don't think the human models were masters, at least not originally, just infiltrators/diplomats. The more mechanical models definitely had just as much free will and intelligence as ever at the start of the war. It was later on (Season 3-ish?) that some of them got dumbed down, in fact the entire cause of the Cylon civil war was over whether or not to lobotomize the centurions/raiders.

Originally, they arent. They didint seem to, at least

But then it was revealed that it was the human cylons (specially Number One) who was command, And there wanst no one above the human cylons, anyway

The whole thing is very confusing I guess

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 19, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The idea of exploring a totally synthetic race's beliefs and culture is a cool premise, totally ruined by "they made 100% identical meat-based humans which are sometimes inconsistently better or different but not in any meaningful or interesting way" and the whole thing boiled down to monotheistic humans with non-sapient robot servants and soldiers vs pantheistic humans without robots. But the conflict was entirely human vs human, the robots were just slaves in the background sometimes. Also the cylons didn't have a plan or reasonable motives at all.

Like, belters and inners are more different physically and culturally than the cylons and humans in BSG.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

The whole thing is very confusing I guess
That's because they made it up as they went along. That's why it gets a bit disjointed in later seasons, they're trying to reconcile all these different plot threads into a coherent whole, but they can't because half of it is random shite that just sounded cool at the time.

Wouldn't be so bad, but I distinctly remember them making a big thing about how they had this intricate story planned out in advance a la Babylon 5. Bullshitters!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Did they? I thought I remember them not knowing which secret Cylon they were gonna reveal until the last minute.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I mean, they had "and they have a plan" at the opening of every single episode for, like, the entire run of the show. It isn't unfair to assume that the Cylons (and thus, the writers) have a plan based off that.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

Did they? I thought I remember them not knowing which secret Cylon they were gonna reveal until the last minute.
Ron Moore talks about "series arcs" in his show bible, i.e. they were supposed to have the broad strokes of the entire show planned out well in advance. That was part of his pitch.

They eventually had to admit they didn't have a clue where the story was going, they didn't even plan to the end of a single season.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

They made a TV movie called "The Plan"

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

They made a TV movie called "The Plan"

And it revealed nothing except that their "Plan" was to kill all humans.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Im just surprised as most of you are that people who wrote a show that had no arcs between episodes weren't good at a show that was supposed to have arcs?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Crazycryodude posted:

I mean, they had "and they have a plan" at the opening of every single episode for, like, the entire run of the show. It isn't unfair to assume that the Cylons (and thus, the writers) have a plan based off that.

They HAD a plan.

God's plan. Given to then by the Oracle. Interpreted into actions by the seven models of human cylons. Who didn't really have a plan of their own in particular besides destroying humans and self-discovery.

So I mean they both had a "plan" they followed AND no loving clue what they were doing long term.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

'Cause I've got a plan, of the heart!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
zoom in on the cock

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Going to back to the expanse, I can only imagine Wes Chatham as Amos, that dude just nails the character and delivers the lines in a deadpan but with a cheeky undertone that is hilarious.He also has the super menacing look required for it.
The whole series feels like a super tight version of the books.Shame about the lack of Yojimbo and powerarmour but eh you cant have it all.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

hump day bitches! posted:

Going to back to the expanse, I can only imagine Wes Chatham as Amos, that dude just nails the character and delivers the lines in a deadpan but with a cheeky undertone that is hilarious.He also has the super menacing look required for it.
The whole series feels like a super tight version of the books.Shame about the lack of Yojimbo and powerarmour but eh you cant have it all.

I also love the actor but almost wish they'd played him a little older. Show-Amos seems too young for his experiences, but OTOH the grenade scene played out on the show exactly how it happened in my mind when I read it so oh well. :shrug:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
On the other hand, Amos in the books is described as basically a baby-face on a few occasions.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Milky Moor posted:

On the other hand, Amos in the books is described as basically a baby-face on a few occasions.

Bit of a babyface, a slight bit of pudge around the midsection, and bald. But still lethal as poo poo and, well, Amos.

I like both book and show versions. Kind of like how I like both book and show versions of most GoT characters (e.g. Tyrion and Jorah Mormount are both significantly less attractive people in the book) too. So long as the essence of the character rings true I think the appearance can be a bit malleable. I ain't even mad about belters looking basically like earthers outside of stretch armstrong in the first episode. It'd be hard to get that makeup effect to look right, and they do a good enough job with wardrobe and dialogue to help establish that belters are different from earthers/martians.

The wife has been binging stuff like Handmaid's Tale, Big Little Lies, and now the new episodes of Outlander, but ever since GoT ended I feel like all I'm doing is just waiting for whichever of Westworld, Legion, or the Expanse gets its new season out for my next favorite thing.

Sigh.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Pander posted:

Bit of a babyface, a slight bit of pudge around the midsection, and bald. But still lethal as poo poo and, well, Amos.

I like both book and show versions. Kind of like how I like both book and show versions of most GoT characters (e.g. Tyrion and Jorah Mormount are both significantly less attractive people in the book) too. So long as the essence of the character rings true I think the appearance can be a bit malleable. I ain't even mad about belters looking basically like earthers outside of stretch armstrong in the first episode. It'd be hard to get that makeup effect to look right, and they do a good enough job with wardrobe and dialogue to help establish that belters are different from earthers/martians.

The wife has been binging stuff like Handmaid's Tale, Big Little Lies, and now the new episodes of Outlander, but ever since GoT ended I feel like all I'm doing is just waiting for whichever of Westworld, Legion, or the Expanse gets its new season out for my next favorite thing.

Sigh.

I feel ya: just re-binged through GoT after the new season and ended up finishing it in <3 weeks. After R&M ends it's season all I have to look forward to in the near future is hatewatching TWD... :smithicide:

Expanse and GoT are good comparisons. I think, as an adaptation, The Expanse is better at being a show. A lot still feels compressed, but nothing like GoT S6-7 which almost feels like it is running off-the-rails at this point.

Expanse also feels better at taking the book characters and translating them into :turianass: real :turianass: people, almost moreso than the source material. The thing Expanse is worst at is translating the space opera sections from the books. They want to do the BSG thing and show ships pewpewing in space, but the battles in the books don't really work on screen as SFX. :shrug:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I thought the show did a great job on that attack on the research station in the beginning of S2. Can't remember how close it was to the book version though. Agreed that a lot of the book space battles wouldn't work, "their missiles are gonna hit us in 12 hours" is hard to make exciting on the screen.

If the show gets far enough I hope they do the 360 noscope railgun shot. :v:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

His best moment had to be his reaction when he learns that Naomi hooked up with Holden.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

When the sci-fi gets "hard" enough the space battles get more and more abstract, involving speeds and distances too great to provide the visuals common to typical space operas. No lasers traveling at subsonic speeds a la star wars. No mystical "shields up" from Star Trek.

The only space battle that really worked was when the stealth ship was fighting 1 on 1 against the Roci due to the close quarters nature and tight surrounding geometry.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Not just combat, but also travel and relative motion. In the books, travel took pretty drat long. And the scene with the Nauvoo trying to ram Eros, Miller shouldn't even have been able to notice the Nauvoo flying by, because of its speed relative to Eros.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Pander posted:

When the sci-fi gets "hard" enough the space battles get more and more abstract, involving speeds and distances too great to provide the visuals common to typical space operas. No lasers traveling at subsonic speeds a la star wars. No mystical "shields up" from Star Trek.

The only space battle that really worked was when the stealth ship was fighting 1 on 1 against the Roci due to the close quarters nature and tight surrounding geometry.

I'm willing to give a thumbs up to the donnager v stealth ships.That whole episode was fantastic

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I'm willing to give a thumbs up to the donnager v stealth ships.That whole episode was fantastic

You don't really see anything there. The best action is all from the perspective of the soon-to-be Roci crew from the shop interior. I don't even remember if there were any battle visuals exterior of the ship.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

here's the space battle bits montaged together. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpfCkkKP9eE

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Pander posted:

You don't really see anything there. The best action is all from the perspective of the soon-to-be Roci crew from the shop interior. I don't even remember if there were any battle visuals exterior of the ship.

There were and they are terrible.

I totally understand why they didn't want to ape Battlestar too much with their space photography but the alternative they went with, swinging the camera around madly in medium shots, is loving terrible. They kind of did away with it a bit in season two but it could still improve.

They really should've just lifted the Battlestar style though.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I just rewatched the Donnager episode yesterday and yeah, it's not pretty. It's a great episode, but they really should've just stuck with footage from inside the ship. Those bits do a good job of showing how scary it would be to be on a big ship in a battle, but the shots of the actual ships are just a mess.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Combat Pretzel posted:

And the scene with the Nauvoo trying to ram Eros, Miller shouldn't even have been able to notice the Nauvoo flying by, because of its speed relative to Eros.

Yeah and they cop to it in the show podcast but the scene as-is looks super cool whereas the reality would just be literally nothing visible and, therefore, lame.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
It's been a minute since I read it, but I think in the book Miller does see the Nauvoo's huge exhaust cone change shape as it moves relative to him. Wouldn't be great TV, probably, but it's something.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

What I really love about the Expanse tv show is the little details that get thrown in for no real story reason. Like the bird flapping and slowly falling because of the lower gravity, or how the police chief pours her coffee and it spirals down to the cup because of the spin. These little things really help build up the world for me and I noticed more of them on my recent rewatch.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Overdrift posted:

What I really love about the Expanse tv show is the little details that get thrown in for no real story reason. Like the bird flapping and slowly falling because of the lower gravity, or how the police chief pours her coffee and it spirals down to the cup because of the spin. These little things really help build up the world for me and I noticed more of them on my recent rewatch.
Yeah, the bird was great. I think the book makes a brief mention of birds flying in low-G.

My favorite similar "little touch" was the diagonally cut paper in BSG. I mean, it's not something inherent to the physics the way the coffee/bird is in the expanse, but it's just something that would be out of place in our world and helps cement the setting a bit.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pander posted:

I had a book of sci-fi short stories, and one of them has a super accurate space battle written by a psychiatrist and its about as exciting as reading a proof. The Russians and Americans were throwing asteroids at each other and it sounds like it should be exciting, but nope. Also, going out to the belt and grabbing giant rocks, then lugging them back to earth to throw at your enemies sounds like a lot more resources that nukes or railguns or laser or plasma weapons.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

twistedmentat posted:

I had a book of sci-fi short stories, and one of them has a super accurate space battle written by a psychiatrist and its about as exciting as reading a proof. The Russians and Americans were throwing asteroids at each other and it sounds like it should be exciting, but nope. Also, going out to the belt and grabbing giant rocks, then lugging them back to earth to throw at your enemies sounds like a lot more resources that nukes or railguns or laser or plasma weapons.

There's a Warhammer 40k short story that actually talks about that last part.

quote:

Rocks are NOT ‘free’, citizen.

Firstly, you must manoeuvre the Emperor’s naval vessel within the asteroid belt, almost assuredly sustaining damage to the Emperor’s ship’s paint from micrometeoroids, while expending the Emperor’s fuel.

Then the Tech Priests must inspect the rock in question to ascertain its worthiness to do the Emperor’s bidding. Should it pass muster, the Emperor’s Servitors must use the Emperor’s auto-scrapers and melta-cutters to prepare the potential ordinance for movement. Finally, the Tech Priests finished, the Emperor’s officers may begin manoeuvring the Emperor’s warship to abut the asteroid at the prepared face (expending yet more of the Emperor’s fuel), and then begin boosting the stone towards the offensive planet.

After a few days of expending a prodigious amount of the Emperor’s fuel to accelerate the asteroid into an orbit more fitting to the Emperor’s desires, the Emperor’s ship may then return to the planet via superluminous warp travel and await the arrival of the stone, still many weeks (or months) away.

After twiddling away the Emperor’s time and eating the Emperor’s food in the wasteful pursuit of making sure that the Emperor’s enemies do not launch a deflection mission, they may finally watch the ordinance impact the planet (assuming that the Emperor’s ship does not need to attempt any last-minute course correction upon the rock, using yet more of the Emperor’s fuel).

Given a typical (class Bravo-CVII) system, we have the following:
Two months, O&M, Titan class warship: 4.2 Million Imperials
Two months, rations, crew of same: 0.2 MI
Two months, Tech Priest pastor: 1.7 MI
Two months, Servitor parish: 0.3 MI
Paint, Titan class warship: 2.5 MI
Dihydrogen peroxide fuel: 0.9 MI
Total: 9.8 MI

Contrasted with the following:
5 warheads, magna-melta: 2.5 MI
One day, O&M, Titan class warship: 0.3 MI
One day, rations, crew of same: 0.0 MI
Dihydrogen peroxide fuel: 0.1 MI
Total: 2.9 MI

Given the same result with under one third of the cost, the Emperor will have saved a massive amount of His most sacred money and almost a full month of time, during which His warship may be bombarding an entirely different planet.

The Emperor, through this – His Office of Imperial Outlays – hereby orders you to attend one (1) week of therapeutic accountancy training/penance. Please report to Areicon IV, Imperial City, Administratum Building CXXI, Room 1456, where you are to sit in the BLUE chair.

For the Emperor,
Bursarius Tenathis,
Purser Level XI,
Imperial Office of Outlays.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Toast Museum posted:

It's been a minute since I read it, but I think in the book Miller does see the Nauvoo's huge exhaust cone change shape as it moves relative to him. Wouldn't be great TV, probably, but it's something.

In the book, basically just as the Nauvoo is about to hit the station, everyone kind of closes their eyes and waits for the bang (ok no bang in space but whatever). Then they look at the charts and see that Eros had jumped to the side instantly and that Nauvoo was now rocketing full tilt out of the system unless it gets recovered. Miller on the station basically just starts asking over the radio what the hell just happened because he was supposed to be vaporized. The ship would have landed before the signal from the eyes could make it to the brain.

Also an interesting note in the book, was if Eros had moved in a traditional sense, Miller on it's surface should have been crushed to paste, or had Eros just disappear from underneath him depending on how it moved. Think of being in a car as it suddenly stops, or accelerates, times millions.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I found the passage I was thinking of.

"Leviathan Wakes, chapter 48" posted:

The great torch of the Nauvoo was a full half of the sky, the stars around it blotted out by the light of full burn. Miller’s suit chirped a radiation warning and he shut it off.

A manned Nauvoo would never have sustained a burn like that; even in the best couch, the thrust gravity would have pulped bones. He tried to guess how fast the ship would be going when it hit.

Fast enough. That was all that mattered. Fast enough.

There, in the center of the fiery bloom, Miller saw a dark spot, no more than the dot of a pencil’s tip. The ship itself. He took a deep breath. When he closed his eyes, the light pressed red through his lids. When he opened them again, the Nauvoo had length. Shape. It was a needle, an arrow, a missile. A fist rising from the depths. For the first time in memory, Miller felt awe.

Eros shouted. “DON’T YOU loving TOUCH ME!”

Slowly, the bloom of engine fire changed from a circle to an oval to a great feathery plume, the Nauvoo itself showing silver in rough profile. Miller gaped.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

JossiRossi posted:

Also an interesting note in the book, was if Eros had moved in a traditional sense, Miller on it's surface should have been crushed to paste, or had Eros just disappear from underneath him depending on how it moved. Think of being in a car as it suddenly stops, or accelerates, times millions.
That was kind of respected in the TV show, though, because Miller didn't feel any inertial effects.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
yeah, they were deliberately contrasting the g-forces felt by the roci crew with the spooky movement of eros

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Much like many other things in the show if you haven't read the books this information isn't portrayed well at all.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

PriorMarcus posted:

Much like many other things in the show if you haven't read the books this information isn't portrayed well at all.

I haven't read the books, and I thought the weird lack of acceleration felt by Miller was really clearly portrayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Eros’ acceleration isn’t possible according to humanity’s understanding of physics.

Why shouldn’t Miller be brought along for the ride? That doesn’t make it any more impossible than it already is.

• Locked thread