Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
the new files app lets you use non-icloud storage p easily as well, so if you are a dropbox guy you can store all of your poo poo there where previously that was difficult to do on mobile.

new files is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
waiiiit a tic. upgrading to ios11 effectively resets to factory settings and forces you to use a backup right?

if i'm going to give my 6s to my wife to use i'm just going to wait and set it up under her account/backup after upgrading after i get my 8 working under mine then. i don't want to have to set up ios 11 on this 6s twice

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
anyone tried it on a 6 yet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kenny Logins posted:

waiiiit a tic. upgrading to ios11 effectively resets to factory settings and forces you to use a backup right?

if i'm going to give my 6s to my wife to use i'm just going to wait and set it up under her account/backup after upgrading after i get my 8 working under mine then. i don't want to have to set up ios 11 on this 6s twice

what

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie
just updated to ios11

kind of poo poo but stiller better than android in every single way

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

iOS upgrades preserve your settings just like they always have

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Kenny Logins posted:

uh no

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Vintersorg posted:

ios 11 is certainly snappier and quick loading on my 7 plus

but jesus gently caress the larger icons and the disgusting inbox/messages home screens are terrible

lol what the gently caress even is half this poo poo? the notification shade now looks like my lock screen, but isn't, and swiping to the left brings up the camera an a way that can only be exited back to the notification screen, which you then have to exit again to get to your home screen

also the quick settings panel is full screen and looks like that inventory sorting minigame

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

bump_fn posted:

anyone tried it on a 6 yet

i just did, it bent my phone

nah it's fine, a couple of animations seem a little slower, like swiping left to the widgets. the status bar text on my home screen is some sort of grey that makes it harder to read the time, used to be black for my wallpaper, dunno why they messed with that

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

well the messages app is a steaming pile of poo poo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The increased difficulty swiping up when in an application is annoying.

ShaggarWasRight.txt

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
hmm no more single-button night shift from control center, have to hold down on screen brightness, and no option to add it as one of the bottom buttons

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
trying 11 on my 6 and it seems fine

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Yes but look on the bright side: we now have the real cell signal strength icon back and not the stupid loving Jony Circles

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol wtf?

open touch id and passcode in settings

wtf is that keypad that exists nowhere else in the os and looks nothing like anything else? this is some android level polish

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Linguica posted:

Yes but look on the bright side: we now have the real cell signal strength icon back and not the stupid loving Jony Circles

oh wow i missed it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it looks and feels like a weird mashup of ios 3/4 and ios 7

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

iOS upgrades preserve your settings just like they always have
ok cool. I was reading through the ars review and for some reason got the impression that you had to restore from backup. was probably skimming too fast

apparently the distance between iOS major updates is just enough that I can't remember how it went last time

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

a mashup of ios3 and ios7 would result in... ios5??? someone light up the stymie signal

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
whatever i'm fine with it. i dont really care about any of this. i just want something for texting and ignoring incoming calls and using google maps

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

infernal machines posted:

lol wtf?

open touch id and passcode in settings

wtf is that keypad that exists nowhere else in the os and looks nothing like anything else? this is some android level polish

that’s what that keypad looks like now, it shows up in other places

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Linguica posted:

a mashup of ios3 and ios7 would result in... ios5??? someone light up the stymie signal

it won't be as good as ios 5 until they drop apple maps and fire johnny ives and tim (preferably into the sun)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

that’s what that keypad looks like now, it shows up in other places

not in the dialer, or the lock screen, which also both look different from eachother

so there's at least three distinct designs of keypad now

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

infernal machines posted:

not in the dialer, or the lock screen, which also both look different from eachother

so there's at least three distinct designs of keypad now

there’s always been a numeric keypad input element that didn’t look like the dialer or lock screen

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh yeah, it just didn't look nearly this lovely before, somehow i thought it was using the lockscreen style one

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
ios11 seems fine but why the heck is the messages app more cluttered

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lightbulb Out posted:

ios11 seems fine but why the heck is the messages app more cluttered

because they're going to keep cramming exciting new features nobody wants into it as long as other chat/picture chat applications exist

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Scott Forstall posted:

iOS 11 seems good on my 10.5 iPad Pro

thx craig

lol if you didnt load the beta on it the day you bought it smh

poty
Jun 21, 2008

iphone 8 reviews are out

the wsj gives a thundering meh

i skimmed the beginning of grubers and apparently its an incredibly amazing phone

poty fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 19, 2017

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

poty posted:

iphone 8 reviews are out

i skimmed the beginning of grubers and apparently its an incredibly amazing phone
gruber took the right attitude of "hey ok so it's definitely not the x, but..."

everyone else like nilay "your sexy studded bracelet boy" patel are like it's not as exciting as the x wtf

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

poty posted:

iphone 8 reviews are out

wsj lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

where else would you go for piping hot takes on tech?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

the fact that the wsj didnt assign joanna <3 to do the review tells you everything about how small potatoes the iphone 8 is

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

my eyes

it all stinks

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

apparently there's some interesting reduce motion setting

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nice whitespace on 6s+

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That update screen is so loving BAD. UGHGHGHHGHG

also the new loving app screen is SO BAD -- no longer tons of apps to check out but a giant screen to scroll through

gently caress OFF

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

YOSPOS CROWD SOURCE: can someone who has access to a 2.4ghz wifi and 5ghz connection, can you try moving back and forth? EYE OH ESS ELEVEN is freaking out moving between them.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 19, 2017

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Switches fine on my iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

[quote="“incoherent”" post="“476561115”"]
YOSPOS CROWD SOURCE: can someone has access to a 2.4ghz wifi and 5ghz connection, can you try moving back and forth? EYE OH ESS ELEVEN is freaking out moving between them.
[/quote]
what do you mean, exactly? manually switching between them or between coverage areas?

this update was way easier than I thought. seems quicker on the 6s

• Locked thread