Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

For those unsure on the difference, as Debbie appears to be: "Trademark" does not equal "copyright." Broadly speaking, a trademark gives you the right to use a word or phrase exclusively within a sphere of commerce. A copyright is the right you have in production of a work that protects others from using it without your permission. They're two separate things.

Copyright can be registered, but does not need to be, and presently lasts at minimum 75 years after the death of its creator. (Thanks Disney!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Elizabethan Error posted:

it's the part where you took FAROOQ seriously

Oh I didn't know he changed his name! Thanks.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Is this because they took down a pewdiepie video because he called somebody a "friend of the family" like a racist piece of poo poo?

gently caress pewdiepie.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

TontoCorazon posted:

Is this because they took down a pewdiepie video because he called somebody a "friend of the family" like a racist piece of poo poo?

gently caress pewdiepie.

Yes. Gamers are some of the worst people :smith:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Queering Wheel posted:

Yes. Gamers are some of the worst people :smith:

Undoubtedly, but pretty much anybody that makes their hobby their whole life is just awful.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
It's about the context, man.

*forgets 200 years of context

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

TontoCorazon posted:

Undoubtedly, but pretty much anybody that makes their hobby their whole life is just awful.

gaming isn't a hobby it's a lifestyle you loving jock

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

U-DO Burger posted:

gaming isn't a hobby it's a lifestyle you loving jock

*gives you a swirlie, runs off to play football and bang cheerleaders*

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Randaconda posted:

*gets clamidiya*

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

*gets clamidiya*

*smugly posts about jocks getting clamidiya in r/incels*

The General
Mar 4, 2007

TontoCorazon posted:

gently caress pewdiepie.

There's a little bit more to it than that. Right now is not the time to be loving around with DCMA takedowns on youtube. Somebody else recently went batshit insane and took down a whole host of videos, and channels and seriously hindered peoples revenue streams in the process. Issuing potentially illegal DCMA takedowns is a giant finger to the whole lets play community. And while the takedown against PDP may or may not have been justified, it really makes other content creators worried, as now Campo Santo could start taking down anything they disagree with.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Randaconda posted:

Football's a game too, Jocko. Who's the nerd now? Huh?:smuggo:

*Tries to push glasses up nose and fold arms at th same time, but knocks glasses onto the ground*

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Clearly I'm not qualified to comment on the legality of it, but I've seen actual legal analysis from actual copyright lawyers that said Campo Santo were acting within the law when they issued those takedowns.

Let's Plays seem not to be sufficiently transformative to qualify for DMCA protection, as opposed to critique/reviews.

The thing is, you'd be an idiot to issue a takedown on a Let's Play, because it's mutually beneficial for both parties. Unless of course you decided you don't want to be associated with someone at all.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The General posted:

There's a little bit more to it than that. Right now is not the time to be loving around with DCMA takedowns on youtube. Somebody else recently went batshit insane and took down a whole host of videos, and channels and seriously hindered peoples revenue streams in the process. Issuing potentially illegal DCMA takedowns is a giant finger to the whole lets play community. And while the takedown against PDP may or may not have been justified, it really makes other content creators worried, as now Campo Santo could start taking down anything they disagree with.

How is this anything new? Haven't game devs and companies been able to DMCA let's plays since youtube implemented takedowns? I'm not familiar with the first event you mention, though, so I don't know if this is something different.

Garrand has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Sep 19, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Alex Mauer, a person who is mentally ill*, decided that a whole bunch of music they wrote as a work-for-hire arrangement belonged to them and issued spurious takedowns on about eighty channels. They are being taken to court and will lose.

*Actually, off their meds, had a psychotic episode and started issuing death threats mentally ill.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also if you're worried about a slippery slope that starts with punishing white supremacy, you really need to find a better hill to die on.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/910159336864976902

United States President Donald Trump gets laughed at by the United Nations General Assembly.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The General posted:

Lol

"Content creators, CONTENT CREATORS" I scream as I shrink into a corn cob

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The broad consensus among copyright attorneys is that game developers can issue DMCA takedown notices to let's plays and would likely have them upheld in court. Let's plays aren't transformative enough.

The issue with your situation was a composer for games went around taking down videos for games that had her music in it, but she didn't actually own the copyright to those songs-- the game devs did. That's why those strikes were so problematic.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

they might start taking down videos of anyone they disagree with, like people who say friend of the family

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

If anyone is scared by the pdp takedown then they are on the wrong side and gently caress em. Lol at wanting to be able to play and profit off of a work from someone you don't like anyway.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Garrand posted:

How is this anything new? Haven't game devs and companies been able to DMCA let's plays since youtube implemented takedowns? I'm not familiar with the first event you mention, though, so I don't know if this is something different.

Nintendo is loving crazy with their games on youtube in this regard.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Mikl posted:

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/910159336864976902

United States President Some rich rear end in a top hat gets laughed at by the United Nations General Assembly.

Was that before or after he said he'd wipe N Korea off the map?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Memento posted:

Alex Mauer, a person who is mentally ill*, decided that a whole bunch of music they wrote as a work-for-hire arrangement belonged to them and issued spurious takedowns on about eighty channels. They are being taken to court and will lose.

In a DMCA takedown notice, the bit where you claim that you are an authorized representative of the rightsholder is attested to under penalty of perjury.

Just once, just *once* I would like to see someone actually go to prison over that. That one thing would instantly halt most fraudulent takedown notices.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently the new Marvel vs Capcom Infinite game is really bad and it's only getting worse:

https://twitter.com/APZonerunner/status/909809292173332480

https://twitter.com/kDotLo/status/909834853960491010

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

oh no my pointless consumerist toys aren't as pretty as i would like qqqqq

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is the absence of all the Marvel superheroes, whose film-rights are owned outside Disney, Ike Perlmutter's fault? He's usually to blame for everything.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The game also has problems from the vague stuff I heard

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The only fighting games anyone should ever play is the SNES version of Mortal Kombat 2, Street Fighter Third Strike, and Guilty Gear X.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://cf-e2.streamablevideo.com/video/mp4/a28xd.mp4?token=1505860428-%2FMetr7v183%2BAbOxQO0eQOfUQPADZji1MgjemrpgkneU%3D

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Elizabethan Error posted:

oh no my pointless consumerist toys aren't as pretty as i would like qqqqq

That's blatent false advertising. I hope somebody takes them to court. Cause goddamn.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

The only fighting games anyone should ever play is the SNES version of Mortal Kombat 2, Street Fighter Third Strike, and Guilty Gear X.

Snes versions of third strike and guilty gear x would rule

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

drat, that's going to cost you some skin. Where are we, Middle East?

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

The General posted:

That's blatent false advertising. I hope somebody takes them to court. Cause goddamn.

I hope someone attempts to and then loses

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Memento posted:

drat, that's going to cost you some skin. Where are we, Middle East?

Yea, Saudi Arabia

The General
Mar 4, 2007

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

I hope someone attempts to and then loses

Yeah gently caress consumers. :rolleyes:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The General posted:

Yeah gently caress consumers. :rolleyes:

It's FAROOQ's rereg, don't waste your time.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Is this one of those plane crashes where they end up eating each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phanatic posted:

Is this one of those plane crashes where they end up eating each other?

I dunno, but that's one the few exciting things I've seen happen in soccer.