Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Grapes of Wrath man you got to go where the jobs are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

How's it the kiss of death, if I have no lips?
College Slice
I just finished Grapes of Wrath last month, I can picture dick now trying to fight off a flood from atop of this truck...

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Farm doesn't give you an exemption to federal rules. Crossing state lines is key here.

E: I only mention this because the fines are draconian.

rdb fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 19, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Well this is a hell of a thing to wake up to.

I thought Dave was just a toolbox and maybe a week or two from getting it road worthy.

By the time Sims could get a trailer ready to move it Dave could be done.

I hope things can be worked out.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

Farm doesn't give you an exemption to federal rules. Crossing state lines is key here.

Yes this exactly, and if it's a truck and trailer it needs farm tags. I think you can cross state lines, but it's within a radius of your farm. In any case, it doesn't apply to this situation.

DOT officer last year told me he pulled a Ferrari with farm tags going down I95. :v:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Hey I use that Ferrari to haul my pot crop.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

angryrobots posted:

Yes this exactly, and if it's a truck and trailer it needs farm tags. I think you can cross state lines, but it's within a radius of your farm. In any case, it doesn't apply to this situation.

DOT officer last year told me he pulled a Ferrari with farm tags going down I95. :v:

Maybe its that 100 air mile radius thing like it is with logbooks. I don't really know.

For those wondering why this is a concern, think of all the weigh stations you would pass on a trip like this. Legally, commercial or not, driving a truck and trailer your supposed to pull in. If you don't they are usually waiting in a car with the engine running to come get you.

E: heres a rundown of state laws. http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/weigh-stations/

rdb fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 19, 2017

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Still no debit card, no tools aside from my hammer and bike poo poo, no cigarettes, no idea, and now no working camera it seems buuuuut

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6BHeaEat_aI&feature=youtu.be

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
So wait what did I miss? Did djdado just kind of snap or did something happen to warrant this? I get him not wanting to deal with this but I kind of assumed Dave moving to his field to fix this had been cleared with the djdanno family. Has something happened to change the situation?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
The dude needs cigs.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

OK, so are there any confirmed tool sets on their way to Dave? If not, in-store pickup at Ace or True Value for some basic tools seems like the way to go. This seems like a priority item.

Also, how are you fixed for food/drink/supplies, Dave? We need to keep you going.

Unfortunately, Shopko doesn't sell cigs for in-store pickup.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

AcidRonin posted:

So wait what did I miss? Did djdado just kind of snap or did something happen to warrant this? I get him not wanting to deal with this but I kind of assumed Dave moving to his field to fix this had been cleared with the djdanno family. Has something happened to change the situation?

I think he was just generally grouchy over his Omaha Beachfront property, decided at some point he wanted the truck gone sooner than later, then I show up and deploy half a camper a tent and some extension cables on his land, then rathe than either removing the truck or working on it in any way spends the next week plus shrugging and saying welp hope something arrives tomorrow but I guess my hands are tied today, don't worry thought dude who bought the truck should be here next month

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fo3 posted:

The dude needs cigs.

Oh I got like half a pack looting all the butt cans on main street

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That probably doesn't help in retrospect

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

Maybe its that 100 air mile radius thing like it is with logbooks. I don't really know.

For those wondering why this is a concern, think of all the weigh stations you would pass on a trip like this. Legally, commercial or not, driving a truck and trailer your supposed to pull in. If you don't they are usually waiting in a car with the engine running to come get you.

E: heres a rundown of state laws. http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/weigh-stations/

This is a very fair point that I didn't consider. I did not realize that 10k means you have to stop and get weighed, and that's a lot of interactions with officers. Yeah everything has to be dotted and crossed.

I need to get a plate for my trailer (it's a one time fee, SC does not require plates in-state), and roll it across some scales. I pay for 15k weighted tags, which *should* cover this haul if I end up involved.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

DICK DICER posted:

I think he was just generally grouchy over his Omaha Beachfront property, decided at some point he wanted the truck gone sooner than later, then I show up and deploy half a camper a tent and some extension cables on his land, then rathe than either removing the truck or working on it in any way spends the next week plus shrugging and saying welp hope something arrives tomorrow but I guess my hands are tied today, don't worry thought dude who bought the truck should be here next month

So his issue is he isn't seeing any work? That's fair I suppose with everything that's happened. Do you think the attitude is likely to change once you have tools aren't kind of just camping?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Whether the plan is to get Dick to a new campsite, get both of them to an alternate location, or just get some tools, I'm willing to help. Just let me know via PM, or EverDave can text me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DICK DICER posted:

That probably doesn't help in retrospect

Probably not. If you're gonna be there for awhile or planning on living there, you don't want to be known as the resident vagrant picking up cig butts.

You're eventually going to need a job and don't want that stigma, it's a small town word travels fast, everyone will know your business in 2.2 seconds ask me how I know.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Are there any tools en route to Dave? Please speak up if you have put tools in the mail that are expected to arrive?

Medium-term obviously the trukk has to move, but in the immediate moment, DJDaddo might be satisfied if we can at least give Dave something to do, to show some progress. And that means he needs some drat tools.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Maybe you can find out if the town mechanic needs a day labourer until the tools arrive?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Probably not. If you're gonna be there for awhile or planning on living there, you don't want to be known as the resident vagrant picking up cig butts.

You're eventually going to need a job and don't want that stigma, it's a small town word travels fast, everyone will know your business in 2.2 seconds ask me how I know.
https://www.glassdoor.com/Job/valentine-jobs-SRCH_IL.0,9_IC1136248_IP2.htm

quote:

Job Summary

Cherry County Implement in Valentine, Nebraska is looking for a service technician with hay equipment, tractor, and skid steer experience. Merchandise sold includes Vermeer equipment, tractors, trailers, and many other short lines. Business is located in a new facility and includes an auto parts store.

Edit: better link to specific job listing: https://www.glassdoor.com/job-listing/service-technician-vermeer-JV_IC1136248_KO0,18_KE19,26.htm?jl=2448926739&ctt=1505844629834

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 19, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Are there any tools en route to Dave? Please speak up if you have put tools in the mail that are expected to arrive?

Medium-term obviously the trukk has to move, but in the immediate moment, DJDaddo might be satisfied if we can at least give Dave something to do, to show some progress. And that means he needs some drat tools.

Dave should probably move his camp somewhere else first I would think, like he said he's basically squatting and who knows how long it will be before he can actually work on the truck. That would at least make the appearance better and maybe make Daddo feel better about it.

Wow good poo poo.

Yeah honestly if you want to be in good graces with the town Dave you should probably start working doing something, anything that shows you're not there to just wander around. Will help with the local cops as well, obviously you don't want to be on their radar.

[e] Were you even planning on staying in Valentine or moving on to somewhere else?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 19, 2017

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Wow good poo poo.
I'm lookin at that $2k relocation bonus and thinking that it would solve a lot of problems in a short amount of time.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
DJDaddo should shut up and bring over his tools.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

scuz posted:

I'm lookin at that $2k relocation bonus and thinking that it would solve a lot of problems in a short amount of time.

It's not at Assman's Implement, no dice

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

If someone could just get some tools there it would probably solve the problem before anyone could get a trailer or whatever the gently caress else planning people are trying to do. I'm still sans job or I'd just buy a loving tool set at the store there so he could pick it up and start working on it.

Also the person that invited 14mm out here needs to talk to his dad and calm him the gently caress down and work this poo poo out.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
bribery a gift may go a long way to soothing daddos concerns and buy a little breathing space for our intrepid mechanic.

What does he drink?

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Astonishing Wang posted:

DJDaddo should shut up and bring over his tools.

Lol somebody's truck who isn't his son is on his property and (no offence Dave) the guy who blew up a jeep on said property is currently camping there. I think under the circumstances you might be a bit stressy too. Also he probably doesn't get the whole internet forum car friends thing.

A job would be a great idea and I bet with a "left the big city to find myself" story you could win some brownie points

AcidRonin fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 19, 2017

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Yeah I don't think anyone should be upset at all with djdanno or djdaddo or any of that. They've been more than reasonable with this whole thing, even if the current situation comes as somewhat of a surprise. They're not out of line at all, and we haven't heard anything directly from them anyways so it's all conjecture or interpretation.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
TrueValue doesn't seem to have an in-store pickup, does it?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

TrueValue doesn't seem to have an in-store pickup, does it?

It says it does. 3-8 business days, though.

Ed: I'm still waiting for Dave or somebody to tell us what's needed. I'm thinking something like this at TV would handle most needs:

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 19, 2017

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata posted:

It says it does. 3-8 business days, though.

Ed: I'm still waiting for Dave or somebody to tell us what's needed. I'm thinking something like this at TV would handle most needs:

Holy poo poo don't buy this I have these. They have a lifetime warranty but I have gone through 2 1/4 ratchets and five 3/8 drive ratchets. They loving suck. And I am stuck with them forever.

The case is garbage and doesn't hold pieces either.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
He only needs imperial right now if that helps

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I think if anyone could post WHAT they have sent if anything and WHEN so we could get an idea of what is already on the way, that would be helpful.

Edit: before anyone buys anything else please post here or message me and let us know status of things. I will check with 14 and try to get a sit-rep and update soon

everdave fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 19, 2017

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

I'm still waiting for Dave or somebody to tell us what's needed.

This, and WHO if anyone has sent any?

Efb but yea

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need to re inventory the remains of the returned box and see if I can put together another basic SAE set from my spares.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

rdb posted:

This is not legal advice, just common sense.

I have a little experience with this, since I routinely pull a 32ft bumper-pull with a pair of race cars on it. ~8k GVWR plus another ~8k for the truck with humans, fuel, and gear. Trailer is tagged for 9999lb GVWR, truck is tagged for 9200 GVWR and 22k GCWR. I've never officially scaled it but my guess is that it's a hair shy of 16k GCWR. I have no DOT numbers, no CDL, nothing beyond a Class C. In CA, the limits are <10k off the bumper and <26k GCWR, so I'm legal here. Technically, since the truck is a pickup, it has CA commercial registration. I have never once stopped at a weigh station, never once been chased.

A few years ago I hauled a similar rig (smaller trailer, ~12.5k GCWR) into Oregon, Nevada, and Utah for some events, and asked around about weigh stations and what would be required. I was told by a few people who tow similar rigs for similar reasons that if you are driving a pickup and hauling your own gear, nobody expects you to scale or stop at stations. If you do stop, it's more likely than not that they'll just be annoyed at you and ask you to GTFO. If you are hot-shot hauling, it's a different story, but that's not what this is. I've driven most major highways in Oregon, Nevada, and CA, and a decent chunk of Utah as well, and I've never had anything even resembling trouble. I have been stopped by LEOs in Oregon and CA towing trailers, neither one gave me any hassle at all about size or weight.

Consider Montana's laws, which require anyone driving a truck with a GVWR of 8,000lbs or more to stop. That's every single 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. Some states are >10k, that's every single dually and most SRW 1-ton trucks from the last 5 years. Selective enforcement applies in spades, IMO.

Savington fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 19, 2017

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

everdave posted:

I think if anyone could post WHAT they have sent if anything and WHEN so we could get an idea of what is already on the way, that would be helpful.

I sent some food, clean laundry, a spare cooking pot, and a USB keychain battery. I think much of the food is going to be questionably useful until he gets a stove, as I thought it would get there before my things. I can put together another small box of stuff soon if it's wanted or needed.

Did everything get there OK? UPS says it was delivered yesterday.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Savington posted:

If you do stop, it's more likely than not that they'll just be annoyed at you and ask you to GTFO. If you are hot-shot hauling, it's a different story, but that's not what this is. I've driven most major highways in Oregon, Nevada, and CA, and a decent chunk of Utah as well, and I've never had anything even resembling trouble. I have been stopped by LEOs in Oregon and CA towing trailers, neither one gave me any hassle at all about size or weight.

This is my gut feeling, but if I do end up hauling this thing, I intend to have my poo poo together. Not least of all do I want to make sure I'm not overloading my trailer.

Interesting about the separate weights on your tag, SC only has a schedule of license fees for gross scaled weight, doesn't matter if single or combination. I pay $150 biannual-ly for 15k lbs on a tag marked "property carrying". It's probably this way because SC does not tax trailers or require tags on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
btw, there's sort of a trucking thread... it's pretty dead these days but people still have it bookmarked.

They may be able to contribute to the license/trailer/weight discussion.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564295

• Locked thread