Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
The animation in mail.app when you hit Edit is unbelievably slow. You can see the text actually stretch out, anyone else seeing this? For reference I am on a 6S:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm-OBTWfZHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Snuffman posted:

I'm not sure that message on the fetch screen is right, maybe its a bug or not working as intended. :shrug:

stop trying to make fetch happen

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

why do we need Messages at the top of the Messages app, i thought it was fairly self explanatory what the app was

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use Camera.app for 99% of everything I do on the phone. If I think I'll want RAW (or in this case, DNG), I use the Lightroom app because I have an Adobe subscription for my big boy camera so it's an obvious choice.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Sock The Great posted:

The animation in mail.app when you hit Edit is unbelievably slow. You can see the text actually stretch out, anyone else seeing this? For reference I am on a 6S:

Odd, not seeing any stretching on my SE. everything just slides over.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Sock The Great posted:

It works fine for me, also on a 6s.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

TheWevel posted:

It works fine for me, also on a 6s.

I'm seeing this in a few spots all over the OS. I'd reset, but I have a new phone coming Friday and it's not worth the trouble.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Sock The Great posted:

yeah mine has never done this on a 7 :(

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Looke posted:

why do we need Messages at the top of the Messages app, i thought it was fairly self explanatory what the app was

They just took influence from the Apple Music interface and plastered it over everything.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

smh

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Theophany posted:

Use folders you goddamn monsters.

Seriously, you’re just creating busywork for no benefit;

-There are no apps in the easily reachable area in the bottom half of the screen.

-You waste time putting things into folders, when it’s faster to search.

You probably do this with emails too, rather than just searching, right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A downward swipe then type in the first few characters of the app you want is way faster than digging through folders.

It also monitors apps you search for a lot, so if it shows up there it's a good candidate for a place on the home screen.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The only camera app worth using besides the default one is Horizon because you can shoot video in portrait mode and it formats it as landscape.

It really only became useful when iPhones got 4k because otherwise you were losing too much image quality. It can crop to 1080p now I think. So that's good, but I still always forget to use it and just stick with camera.app.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Horizon because you can shoot video in portrait mode and it formats it as landscape.

hold up

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The phone dialer keypad now plays tones when you press a number. I hope I’m missing a setting to turn that off.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
4 hours in. I still don't see this OTA? Anyone else?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Feenix posted:

During the iOS 10 release I had to restart. Did you try that?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah outside of my bottom 3 rows every other app I use I get to from spotlight.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I like how the system apps are now taking UI design cues from Apple Music, apple’s most disgusting app

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wooger posted:

Seriously, you’re just creating busywork for no benefit;

-There are no apps in the easily reachable area in the bottom half of the screen.

-You waste time putting things into folders, when it’s faster to search.

You probably do this with emails too, rather than just searching, right?

The apps I use most are in the dock. I just hate scrolling through spaces which are much more efficiently organised into folders. Two thumb hits and I’m where I want to be.

People who have a poo poo ton of folders in their inbox and then some insane rule system to route them drive me mad. Learn Outlook search modifiers ffs. I can find an email quicker by typing “from: xyz hasattachment:yes” faster than somebody pissing around in folders.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Feenix posted:

I downloaded just fine over wifi several hours ago when the download link was posted in this thread.

Guess the trick is convincing your phone to phone home and look for an update.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Uh clicking the home button to go back to the main screen feels like it takes a half a second longer than before. Other than that everything just feels like change for the sake of change to be honest.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I like how the system apps are now taking UI design cues from Apple Music, apple’s most disgusting app

It reminds me a lot of Zune/early Windows Phone UI. Which evokes a number of feelings, considering Windows Phone started dying a gruesome death from its inception.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

can't restore from my backup, keeps saying

"an error occured while reading from or writing to the iphone"

which I assume is maybe the cable, but I used this cable to make the backup...

-edit think my hardisk is too close to full let me mess with that

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 19, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Tried taking some pics in the new HEIC format, wow, quite a bit of space savings for relatively detailed pics. They won't load in Preview on El Capitan or Sierra, duh.

Tried taking some movies in 4K, also pretty good, but the movies are encoded in H.265 which won't play in QuickTime Player.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Binary Badger posted:

Tried taking some pics in the new HEIC format, wow, quite a bit of space savings for relatively detailed pics. They won't load in Preview on El Capitan or Sierra, duh.

Tried taking some movies in 4K, also pretty good, but the movies are encoded in H.265 which won't play in QuickTime Player.

Lmao. I’m literally running a lovely old Mac that is better spec’d than anything they sell atm and I’m in the same boat. Twin 3.46GHz Xeons and a 980Ti and somehow it’s incapable of hardware decoding H265.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

enojy posted:

It reminds me a lot of Zune/early Windows Phone UI. Which evokes a number of feelings, considering Windows Phone started dying a gruesome death from its inception.

the zune owned

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Weedle posted:

the zune owned

https://youtu.be/jYmn3Gwn3oI

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
tbh I really liked my Zune HD.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Noctone posted:

tbh I really liked my Zune HD.

I had (and still have) the OG 30GB Zune and it was great. Back when Microsoft actually gave a little bit of a poo poo about consistent UIs.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yo I missed wallpaper chat but if you don't use the built in wallpapers to have Earth on the lockscreen and a black homescreen you hate Steve Jobs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh, Microsoft cares about consistent UI's. They just change what that UI is supposed to be every 60 days and all their divisions spend the next two years trying to catch up to it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Theophany posted:

Lmao. I’m literally running a lovely old Mac that is better spec’d than anything they sell atm and I’m in the same boat. Twin 3.46GHz Xeons and a 980Ti and somehow it’s incapable of hardware decoding H265.

Smells like a hot-rodded Mac Pro. BTW forgot to mention I could play the h.265 MOV's in Movist, VLC, and Eltima Player, but at staggeringly slow speeds on non-High Sierra Macs.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

No folders on the front page, as the Lord intended.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

seriously that gigantic Messages header at the top of the app aggravates me every time i open it

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I really like the Apple Musication of the UI and yet I find Apple Music to be annoying and cluttered. I especially like the big Messages header at the top.

And I love the gently caress out of the new Command Center. If it had a dedicated AirPod toggle then it would be perfect. And I know I can select audio from what’s playing, but it’d be easier to just push a button to make this device your audio source.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

tonic posted:

seriously that gigantic Messages header at the top of the app aggravates me every time i open it

loving this. I usually don’t nitpick iOS updates to hell, but it’s like if we hung giant, bold-fonted signs on every tree in the world that just said “TREE”.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Sock The Great posted:

No folders on the front page, as the Lord intended.

fill your dock and stop playing hearthstone but otherwise i think we're brothers now

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

That’s right fools I use Clips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Does the control center remote only work for those new fat Apple TVs? My Apple TV isn't showing up and I'm wondering if that's why. I can still use the regular Remote app just fine, so I'm assuming my wifi/network stuff is all set up correctly.