Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Violator
May 15, 2003

The Georgie scene was perfect because it shut everybody up in my theater when they realized it was going to that type of movie. :colbert: After that scene there was no talking and only laughing at appropriate parts, so I was super happy to have a good theater experience even with a whole bunch of young teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
When I saw the movie on opening night they carded me when they took my ticket at the door but the theater was still full of teenage girls. Not sure how that happened.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When I saw the movie on opening night they carded me when they took my ticket at the door but the theater was still full of teenage girls. Not sure how that happened.

:lol: you look younger than a teenage girl

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Usually a minor can get in to an r-rated movie as long as they're with an adult.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Some fucker took a baby to mine

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Violator posted:

The Georgie scene was perfect because it shut everybody up in my theater when they realized it was going to that type of movie. :colbert: After that scene there was no talking and only laughing at appropriate parts, so I was super happy to have a good theater experience even with a whole bunch of young teenagers.

17 is how old you have to be to see R rated films by yourself.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I usually don't talk or try to make any noises during movies, but I let a loud audible "FUUUUCK" when the door closes and Stanley gets separated from Bill and Richie when they're in the abandoned house. Luckily people weren't mad and a few people started nervously laughing along since it cut the tension.

Violator
May 15, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

17 is how old you have to be to see R rated films by yourself.

Yeah, I know, but every time I see a popular r-rated movie there are always young teenagers that appear to be without adults. I don't know if their parents are sitting elsewhere, but for IT I saw like four groups of teens without parents that looked super young and were really loud, joking around, and literally running around the theater before the movie started. Luckily they kept quiet during the movie itself, but it seems like I have 50/50 luck on whether I get a good or bad crowd. I've basically given up opening weekend and midnight showings because of it. I'm probably just old and cranky, but I gave up after I had a movie where the people two seats over pulled their phones out and started taking selfies (with flash!) and talking about how many likes they were getting during the movie. Argh. Get off my lawn.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Parent goes in with them, buys tickets for them and leaves. You just need an adult with you to buy the ticket, not to get to the actual seats.

But yeah I was next to some giggling girls but after about 40 minutes they calmed down. Movie was so loud that it didn't really matter that much anyway.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I sat next to a girl who was maybe fourteen years old, with her mother in the next seat down. After every big scare the mother would lean over and whisper "You okay?". I wanted to roll my eyes at the bad parenting, but then I remembered my own dad taking me to see Total Recall in theaters when I was five, and drunkenly yelling out "WHAT THE poo poo" during Quatto's first appearance as I watched through my fingers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I sat next to a couple girls who talked through the film, but it was a packed theater and I assumed them to be quite young. So their comments were amusing.

They were actually mid 20's early 30's and one of them proclaimed she should've stayed home and watched stranger things.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The key moment for me was Georgie crawling away from the sewer and weeping, that was a splendid display of grotesque misery and was quite upsetting.

I was impressed they actually showed something so graphic like that. Mainstream horror films from big studios usually rely on jump-scares instead. I think the opening scene was meant to immediately distance this film from that type of horror which is so ubiquitous in The Conjuring films. The last time a child died so graphically in a mainstream horror film was probably the hunter's son from a chestburster in AVP:R.

The Georgie scene in the film is still mild compared to the deaths in the source material. In the book, King illustrates how the adults in Derry don't really give a poo poo about the murder and disappearance of children (whether at the hands of IT or murderers). I think it was his (weird) way of trying to trying to remind people, that yes, hosed up things happen to children on regular basis in this country.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The book is wonderfully grotesque and discomforting, for sure. I'll never forget the way one victim is described as having their ribcage opened as if someone had reached in with both hands and just pulled.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yaws posted:

Got you a little excited, did it? The needless portrayal of a child in immense pain? Get a little blood flowin' down there?

It's absolutely an unpleasant scene to watch, but I feel like it's necessary to the movie. It establishes stakes by showing what happens to a kid who Pennywise catches (they die very messily), and establishes that Pennywise is an actual threat and not just a creepy clown going OOGA-BOOGA at the kids; the old miniseries could get away with showing less because they had Tim Curry's performance to lean on, but this movie doesn't have Tim Curry so it has to go a little more in the brutal direction.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Fart City posted:

There's a behind-the-scenes story about it that is pretty funny. Originally the effects gag was planned to be more subtle, with just a little bit of blood smearing on the roller. But one of the effects technicians overloaded the blood bag, which pretty much caused the kid to appear to explode. King basically shrugged and was like, "gently caress it, chalk that one up to a happy accident."

I feel like that's the nice story he tells to cover that he was coked out of his mind and probably added the extra blood himself.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's absolutely an unpleasant scene to watch, but I feel like it's necessary to the movie. It establishes stakes by showing what happens to a kid who Pennywise catches (they die very messily), and establishes that Pennywise is an actual threat and not just a creepy clown going OOGA-BOOGA at the kids; the old miniseries could get away with showing less because they had Tim Curry's performance to lean on, but this movie doesn't have Tim Curry so it has to go a little more in the brutal direction.

That and it was a TV movie on ABC. There's hardly any violence in the film, outside of some blood in and on things.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

joylessdivision posted:

I feel like that's the nice story he tells to cover that he was coked out of his mind and probably added the extra blood himself.

Hell, considering it was prime-era Stephen CoKing, there's a good chance he was off-camera, firing bloodbags at the cast with a t-shirt cannon.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Yaws posted:

A whole bunch of bullshit

I went to see an R rated horror movie about kids being murdered by a monster but was shocked to see a kid graphically murdered by monster. That was some bullshit. Getting all freaked out and all with a jarring scene that scared and unnerved me. Took me right out of the film.

A newspaper clipping detailing what happened to Georgie would have scared me much more.

Sorry if it was too much to for you but god drat dude. It's not like we're jacking off to it and even on the "gratuitous" scale it was by far the the most graphic thing in the flick.

Croisquessein posted:

Sewer lines.

Correct. That's how they figure out where IT lives, the same way FBI catches serial killers by putting pushpins on a map.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 20, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Miike and New French Extremity broke me; that's what it takes to get me genuinely upset at a film, at which point I start yelling at the screen (at home) about how much I hate what I'm watching.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Yaws posted:

I NEED GRAPHIC DEPICTIONS OF CHILDHOOD DISMEMBERMENT AND MURDER!

SUBTLETY? IMPLICATION? NOT WORDS IN MY VOCABULARY!

BLUNT VIOLENCE! THAT'S ALL I UNDSERSTAND

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

god why couldn't it have been your posting arm

Everything *about* Maximum Overdrive owns. It has Pat Hingle with a loving bazooka for christ's sake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65GQg06SX90

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Violator posted:

Lucky you. We had a woman talking during every suspenseful moment to say “no, get out, no one asked you to go in there, this just ain’t gon work for me, lord.”

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yaws posted:

I NEED GRAPHIC DEPICTIONS OF CHILDHOOD DISMEMBERMENT AND MURDER!

SUBTLETY? IMPLICATION? NOT WORDS IN MY VOCABULARY!

BLUNT VIOLENCE! THAT'S ALL I UNDSERSTAND

I know, right?

And what was up with that Reagan girl in The Exorcist stabbing a crucifix in her vagina and making her mom lick her and then puking all that green vomit out on the nice priest right before she murdered him?

And all those naughty words.

Very unsubtle.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Wait do people think 14 is too young to watch this movie because I'd think they would be about the perfect age tbh.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yaws posted:

Imagine this. They cut to IT lunging at Gerogie and he screams. Later on, a character informs us that IT ripped off the kids arm.

Is that not good enough for you? Do you really need to ACTUALLY SEE a six year olds arm being ripped off?

Christ, a little subtlety goes a long loving way.

But no, imagination and filling in the blanks is out the door. We need to see this poo poo! I want to SEE a six year old writing in pain! I'm hardcore goddammit!

This but unironically

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Everything *about* Maximum Overdrive owns. It has Pat Hingle with a loving bazooka for christ's sake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65GQg06SX90

It was one of my fav horrors as a kid - just freaky enough to be a proper thrill, adult enough to be titillating, and silly enough to not be really scary.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I saw From Dusk Til Dawn when I was 9 ssssooooooo...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Blisster posted:

It's not without flaws, but it's pretty impressive that it sets up like seven main characters, the town of Derry, and a murderous shapeshifting clown monster all in two hours.

This can't be emphasized enough and is a great point. A few times, I was getting names mixed up or forgetting them but, yeah. Usually defining that many characters requires a closed setting like GlenGary Glen Ross , 12 Angry Men and a story more akin to a play or something like that.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

You JUST read the book dude, you already knew the names.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It helps that they're very obvious characters (Black, Fat, Sick, Jewish, Girl, Funny, Dead Brother), which gives them some handy hooks for other quirks, tics, and identifiers.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I feel like this movie would've suffered terribly if Ritchie didn't absolutely nail those joke deliveries, and it makes me wonder if the kid is that talented or if it took a bunch of takes (as in, more than average for child actors).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
He was one of the best parts of Stranger Things as well, so I think he's talented.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I thought Jonathan Brandis was a better Bill. Such a shame about the guy.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012

Harminoff posted:

Wait do people think 14 is too young to watch this movie because I'd think they would be about the perfect age tbh.

Almost all of Canada agrees with you, it has a 14A rating here except in Ontario (18A) and Quebec (13+). I guess we take vulgar language less seriously than the states?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I was sitting next to a father who took his teenage-ish daughters to the movie (the ages of the leads, come to think of it) and when I was leaving I asked them if they were scared, cuz even though I don't watch a ton of horror, I'm jaded.

"I let my dad take me to this to get over being scared, and I think I missed like 85% of that movie."

E: holy everloving christ I'm having an It Moment based on this movie. It took me two showings and that Pennywise Dances To Anything videos to remember a long-forgotten friend of mine (that looks uncannily like Sophia Lillis) that I haven't though about since junior high. But I can't remember anything about her other than her first name, and that's bugging/freaking me out.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 20, 2017

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
If they don't have Modest Mouse's Float On at some point during Ch. 2, I will be a little disappointed.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I no-joke created a playlist for the drive to the theater that included:
Float On
- Modest Mouse
Up, Up, and Away - 5th Dimension
Oooh Child - The Five Stairsteps
99 Luftbaloon - Nena

My friend who had no prior knowledge about the film other than that it is about a evil clown and has kid main characters was a bit puzzled by Float On.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 20, 2017

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i think the rest of the movie is alright but i don't know if i'm ready to accept a 14 year old can deal with any scene between beverly and her dad (but i may just be overprotective of my niece)

Georgie's actor is really good, i don't know where they got him and i hope he's not gonna grow up hosed up due to this movie. also may i just say the music of the first scene - these adventurous and swelling notes right until the boat goes down the drain, is really effective? i went with someone who had ZERO idea that georgie was doomed, and they were completely engrossed with the movie after that

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

GoingPostal posted:

If they don't have Modest Mouse's Float On at some point during Ch. 2, I will be a little disappointed.

The correct choice is actually Epic by Faith No More.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I want the second half to be called Dancin' IT's On so badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 20, 2017

• Locked thread