Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bengy81
May 8, 2010
:siren:BREAKING NEWS:siren:

https://www.google.com/amp/denver.cbslocal.com/2017/09/19/colorado-springs-mad-pooper/amp/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

How does that 70-80k shape up in Chicago cost of living wise? I'm not up on the local numbers. Given that it's one of the largest cities in the country, though, I'm going to guess it's got higher than average cost of living. My hunch is that this is only a good salary if you live someone in suburbia and commute like a motherfucker.

And I was in the process of editing when you quoted me to emphasize I wasn't just meaning salary, but more money for equipment and training along with federal standards.

It’s pretty reasonable, you can get a decent place in a nice neighborhood on that. I mean you’d want your spouse working too but it’s not bad.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

Why not really stomp on the gas and shoot a pregnant woman in the back.

I'm just gonna take your word for it and not click that link. I've had my rage for the day.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

bird cooch posted:

The only thing I get out of these "cop shoots unarmed man/woman/child" is that cops are the biggest pussies around and should be mocked for being scared all the time.

Remember people getting shot by the cops when Dorner was on the loose?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Trump administration commissioned a study by HHS to find out how much refugees cost the US taxpayers. The study found that refugees actually cost taxpayers nothing and in reality generated $63bn in net revenue because refugees themselves are taxpayers. The Trump administration was angry about this, so it scrapped the study.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/...pe=sectionfront

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

psydude posted:

The Trump administration commissioned a study by HHS to find out how much refugees cost the US taxpayers. The study found that refugees actually cost taxpayers nothing and in reality generated $63bn in net revenue because refugees themselves are taxpayers. The Trump administration was angry about this, so it scrapped the study.

its almost like the welfare queens the GOP hates are actually predominantly the GOP's core constituency

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

psydude posted:

Si papi

that's the good poo poo.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

This morning, Mexico City held a city-wide earthquake drill to mark the anniversary of its massive 1985 earthquake. This afternoon, a 7.1 magnitude earthquake struck.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...omepage%2Fstory

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nature continues to be pissed, news at 11.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

psydude posted:

Hahaha

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

psydude posted:

This morning, Mexico City held a city-wide earthquake drill to mark the anniversary of its massive 1985 earthquake. This afternoon, a 7.1 magnitude earthquake struck.

I assume this smoke is not from the clouds.

https://twitter.com/dlprager/status/910213018566328320

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Mmmm pump the liberalism straight into my veins, oh yeah

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/909892911939985408

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

psydude posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...omepage%2Fstory

What a great birthday story. I was born on that day, in Mexico, glad few people were seriously hurt.

:unsmith:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mr. Nice! posted:

How does that 70-80k shape up in Chicago cost of living wise? I'm not up on the local numbers. Given that it's one of the largest cities in the country, though, I'm going to guess it's got higher than average cost of living. My hunch is that this is only a good salary if you live someone in suburbia and commute like a motherfucker.

And I was in the process of editing when you quoted me to emphasize I wasn't just meaning salary, but more money for equipment and training along with federal standards.

I make below that and live very well in a pricey one bedroom apartment in a good neighborhood. To live ok in Chicago without roommates, anything above 45k is perfectly adequate.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Check out the shaking building at 0:13.

https://twitter.com/BreakingNNow/status/910220884824207360

Edit: rip this building https://twitter.com/XEVATabasco/status/910223441877487618

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 19, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-QV5zCNyKk

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

:lol:

https://twitter.com/20committee/status/910227682864041985

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Mmmm pump the liberalism straight into my veins, oh yeah

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/909892911939985408

I don't know what to make of the story, just my Obama fandom coming to light I guess. Sounds like instead of requiring 14.5 billion gallons in renewable fuels, this Carlyle wheeling and dealing got it down to 13 billion? It was the only facility really of its kind on the eastern seaboard?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

New Zealand is in the middle of a fuel shortage because some pillock with a digger cut the pipeline that supplies auckland

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
We were talking about the mad pooper today. Latest news I heard was it's a woman.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

We were talking about the mad pooper today. Latest news I heard was it's a woman.

They released photos that is supposed to be her.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, the number one way to get better police is to flat out pay them better across the board. More money means better recruits, better training, better equipment, etc. Same with teachers and most public servants of the same type. Problem is, in order to do so you have to actually tax wealthy people and gently caress that better to let poor people die.

These are honestly places where more federalism would probably help and some nationwide standards would be a boon.
Training programs (not just police) are something I've spent a lot of time thinking about. The first thing you have to consider is that there is a certain paradox in standards. From folks I've talked to, several local & state agencies that simply cannot fill their academy classes. In one case, the time line from final filing date for applications to starting the Academy was 18 months. A lot of people are dropping out or moving or getting hired by other agencies before they even got a conditional offer. Then there are the high standards that POST imposes: the physical, the highly intrusive background investigations, polygraph/CVSA, the psych exam. From what I can gather, the departments often end up going with the lowest risk candidates, rather than the "best" candidates, because vicarious liability is a real concern.

If you want to recruit minority candidates, who are intelligent, well spoken, physically fit and able to subdue 20 year old men without resorting to tasers or firearms, cool under pressure, with interpersonal skills that let them talk down suspects without force, who have a clean criminal record and excellent credit and who can ace a polygraph... well, you're going to have a hard time convincing that pool to come start work in the jail for the Dingweed County Sheriff's Office, under intense public scrutiny, in a job where people will flippantly call them bastards and hope for their death, even at above median pay, when they could be applying to the FBI or NCIS or living that high life as a NYC stockbroker or running for elected office.

Once you actually get recruits, the problem is that 99% of their time is going to be spent on things that aren't hot calls. You have to teach them DUIs and report writing, federal, state, and local law, procedures and processing, mandatory federal trafficking in persons training, etc. Just getting them to baseline day 1 competence is going to consume 95% of training time.

And training is not a substitute for experience. When I was flying, was given a staggeringly expensive training program, which I would describe as good but not great, and it still took half a dozen or so combat missions before I felt like I wasn't leaning on more experienced crewmembers. It took a few deployments before I felt like I was confidently in control of any novel situations that popped up, and I was a fast learner. There are things we could do to improve police training, but sending every officer to regular live fire or force on force training is going to be incredibly expensive, even before you consider the need to have extra officers in order to be able to rotate people off of patrol for training days. It's not impossible, but in an era of limited budgets, do you want to do that, or send them to Crisis Intervention Training or get them EMT certified?

Also: In a country this size, with 50 different sets of laws, I don't think that universal standards are practical. Much like medical and legal licensing, it really is something that is best handled on the state level.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Then out of loyalty to policy, Jimmy Carter would not let them have his walking corpse back to stone or whatever, and boy did that backfire. That's all they loving wanted from the U.S. at that point. gently caress you, Jimmy.
Carter did the right thing. No one is going to be our point man overseas if we get a reputation for handing over our local allies to radical assholes to get brutalized and murdered when it becomes convenient.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Peetown Manning posted:

I don't know what to make of the story, just my Obama fandom coming to light I guess. Sounds like instead of requiring 14.5 billion gallons in renewable fuels, this Carlyle wheeling and dealing got it down to 13 billion? It was the only facility really of its kind on the eastern seaboard?

I think you will find that your purity is far to low friend.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Universal standards are applicable in the medical and legal fields as well. In fact, there are a ton of federal regs in a large number of fields.

Also having 50 competing standards is loving stupid. Yes there are differences in state laws so some things will be localized, but basic training, equipment, force continuum, etc. are not so unique from a policing standpoint that you need vastly different standards across the board.

Correctional staffing is an entirely different concern, even though in a lot of small places it is done by the county sheriff department, the GA Tech police that iced a kid with a holstered leatherman weren't COs.

And yes you have a hell of a time recruiting people to work a lot of these jobs nationwide because they pay fuckall. You're not going to find qualified people to work for $10/hr.

Edit: I was doing some math earlier and if the original federal minimum wage was just pegged to inflation it would be $10 and change an hour. You won't find qualified people willing to work poverty wages.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Correctional staffing is an entirely different concern, even though in a lot of small places it is done by the county sheriff department, the GA Tech police that iced a kid with a holstered leatherman weren't COs.
Around here, law enforcement outside of incorporated cities with standing police forces is handled by the patrol division of the County Sheriff, with traffic enforcement by the Highway Patrol. Some cities contract with the Sheriff for police services too. All of those guys I've talked to (not a huge sample, mind you) said that deputies started out in the jail before being allowed to transfer to patrol. Jail deputies =/= prison guards.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Universal standards are applicable in the medical and legal fields as well. In fact, there are a ton of federal regs in a large number of fields.

Also having 50 competing standards is loving stupid. Yes there are differences in state laws so some things will be localized, but basic training, equipment, force continuum, etc. are not so unique from a policing standpoint that you need vastly different standards across the board.
Sort of? E.g., for EMS, there are certain general guidelines, but scope of practice can vary from county to county in some pretty significant ways (like airway interventions) and you really don't want to get those wrong. Similarly, continuum of force is going to be guided by court decisions, (varies by state and circuit) training and equipment: if a department issues pepper spray, tasers, both, or neither, that is going to change their policy.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 19, 2017

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Carter did the right thing. No one is going to be our point man overseas if we get a reputation for handing over our local allies to radical assholes to get brutalized and murdered when it becomes convenient.

That was the conventional thinking. It was and is wrong because the guy, our local ally not local at all, was a dictator monarch, not benevolent at all. It was U.S. not admitting a colossal consistent fuckup of events, because we wanted their oil and their position to gently caress with the Soviets.
And those radical assholes were the popular voice. And then they took over the embassy and imprisoned U.S. people for a long time, and things got real close to a shooting war with them. The news was very goddamned depressing for a year and a half, every goddamned day. For one lovely king with incurable cancer.

edit- oh, not to mention we ended up shooting down an innocent airbus of Iranians during or shortly after that timeline.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Around here, law enforcement outside of incorporated cities with standing police forces is handled by the patrol division of the County Sheriff, with traffic enforcement by the Highway Patrol. Some cities contract with the Sheriff for police services too. All of those guys I've talked to (not a huge sample, mind you) said that deputies started out in the jail before being allowed to transfer to patrol. Jail deputies =/= prison guards.

Sort of? E.g., for EMS, there are certain general guidelines, but scope of practice can vary from county to county in some pretty significant ways (like airway interventions) and you really don't want to get those wrong. Similarly, continuum of force is going to be guided by court decisions, (varies by state and circuit) training and equipment: if a department issues pepper spray, tasers, both, or neither, that is going to change their policy.

Didn't notice you had a new avatar.

And there are tons of medical, legal, and other professional guidelines from the federal level despite vast differences in how things work at local levels. From the legal standpoint, many states adopt flat out model codes for things for uniformity. There will always be snowflakes, but generally speaking universal standards work just fine across the board.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Obligatory Trump/HAARP joke

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Lots and lots of stuff that falls under "states rights" smells like absolute and total bullshit to me. I don't give a gently caress how much of a special snowflake your state is, people are still people and whatever training standard works best for people will be the same in all 50 states. Maybe there's details about how you fund it or when it can be scheduled best or what corporation needs to be bribed to let it happen that are best figured out on the local level, but the state's rights banner has a whole bunch of poo poo tucked under it that I will never agree with.

I also find the correlation between what is considered state's rights and what happens to be useful for turbo loving minorities and the poor when it's written, implemented, and applied in specific ways tends to be surprisingly strong.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Didn't notice you had a new avatar.

TBH, I wish it was a rule that you had to link red text back to the post in question, so you could see who you made so mad that they spent $10 to try burning you.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the venn diagram of "states rights" and "want to gently caress people over" is drat near a perfect circle

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Lots and lots of stuff that falls under "states rights" smells like absolute and total bullshit to me. I don't give a gently caress how much of a special snowflake your state is, people are still people and whatever training standard works best for people will be the same in all 50 states. Maybe there's details about how you fund it or when it can be scheduled best or what corporation needs to be bribed to let it happen that are best figured out on the local level, but the state's rights banner has a whole bunch of poo poo tucked under it that I will never agree with.
It really isn't though. The policies and training that are going to work for, say, the NYPD are going to be totally different from what works for a rural Montana Fish and Game Warden whose nearest backup is the Bozeman Sheriff, 45 min away. Even though both are sworn law enforcement officers.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Theyve managed to adopt universal standards for professionals despite the difference in various state statutes and customs. The idea this is unachievable for law enforcement seems disingenuous at best

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
To further clarify this point - One of the fire districts I work in only has one county sheriff's deputy on duty from 3 am to 11 am.

Backup is from the small town nearby usually at least 20 minutes away. We have sat on scene outside a house, outside the daylight basement sliding door with the husband and the deputy waiting for for the deputy to get backup before entering, while the wife having a psychotic episode was banging on the door to the daylight basement with a kitchen knife and screaming and wailing for him to come out for 45 minutes while waiting for backup from that small town.

Outside of those hours, there are only two deputies on duty for the entire island.

(side note- no one got shot or stabbed, and she ended up going to the hospital for a psychiatric evaluation)

This isn't to say that national standards are a bad thing and should not be further entrenched - but... When you're stuck in a situation where it's far more emergent and a danger to life, and you're the only one nearby for the next 15-20 minutes, at a minimum (as we were waiting for 45 minutes, for example)...

I've also been on standby for a home invasion where the suspect had a knife in the house, at 4 am in this same district. He ended up fleeing and being caught about 45 minutes later, but should he have decided to hole up in the house... That's where questions come in. National standards should be put in place, but there are far, far more of these law enforcement districts in this country that exist than you might think. The US is loving HUGE, and population density in a lot of places is loving LOW.

Edit 2 - This is simply to clarify that while yes, there should be further national standards for training and qualifications for law enforcement, there also needs to be a certain amount of understanding as far as the majority of districts that you're talking about.

I work with law enforcement frequently, but even with that, I feel that the law enforcement I work with could do better on certain occasions for sure. That said, I cannot with full honesty state I would act better than them given some of the situations we both face and given their line of duty. I would, however, wish that they act better in some of those situations.

I do, however, understand the strain they're under, as we run about 2,000 calls a year, whereas that rural county sheriff's department last I saw was nearing 120,000 calls so far this year. The island we are on is only a small part of that entire district that they serve, but poo poo man...

windshipper fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 19, 2017

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

sharknado slashfic posted:

Obligatory Trump/HAARP joke

edificio 7 era un trabajo interior! ¡Abre los ojos, chupando a la cabra!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Theyve managed to adopt universal standards for professionals despite the difference in various state statutes and customs. The idea this is unachievable for law enforcement seems disingenuous at best
Can you give me a specific example of what you're talking about? Like, "municipality X in state Y doesn't have Z standard, which has caused problem A." Because otherwise I fear we're falling into the trap of declaring that the solution to a complex problem is more training and higher standards, so that we can say something has been done, irrespective of whether it actually fixes the problem. (See: the FAA cranking up pilot hour requirements.)

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

It really isn't though. The policies and training that are going to work for, say, the NYPD are going to be totally different from what works for a rural Montana Fish and Game Warden whose nearest backup is the Bozeman Sheriff, 45 min away. Even though both are sworn law enforcement officers.

Upstate NY gets real rural in plenty of places and would probably need things totally different than the NYPD gets/would have way more in common with the Montana example listed--I don't think those different policies needed actually break down across state lines all that well.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Dead Reckoning posted:

Can you give me a specific example of what you're talking about? Like, "municipality X in state Y doesn't have Z standard, which has caused problem A." Because otherwise I fear we're falling into the trap of declaring that the solution to a complex problem is more training and higher standards, so that we can say something has been done, irrespective of whether it actually fixes the problem. (See: the FAA cranking up pilot hour requirements.)

The district I work in uses the SOPs for EMS from the next door county, due to the fact that 2/3 of the hospitals we transport to are in that county. The third hospital we transport to is in another, nearby, county.

The SOPs we use are not at all similar to the county in which our MPD operates.

Going further south in the state, EMTs are allowed to use auto vent machines (on a specific setting in certain circumstances), because their transport times, and so much else is different than the county we operate in.

Previous to this department, I was never allowed to use supraglottic airways beyond OPAs and NPAs, and in fact, my entire training on them was, "You will have like 10 minutes to play with this, because in this county you will never use it, you are being shown this just for the test itself." After I took the National Registry exam and until I started working here a couple years ago, never touched a King Tube, LMA, iGel, anything. I've had great training since then only because I've had the time and opportunity to train.

Compare that to the deputies I was talking about earlier who have run about 120k calls so far JUST THIS YEAR. Most, 90-95% whatever of them are bullshit, but that's all time you have to take to go, get the information, write the report, etc.

I had to be retrained on supraglottic airways entirely, as an on the job kind of thing when I started working here because, well, technically I was trained to a national standard, but no not really.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Who could have thought the problem is more complex than a sound bite?

• Locked thread