Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Trump’s moronic sabre rattling completely validated the NK nuke plan, in their view. They feel if they don’t have the nukes then they’ll end up Saddam’d or Qaddafi’d.

It was a stupid, stupid way to escalate an already bad situation and it is sad some people who are not even hard core trumpsters don’t realize how dumb it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Talk softly but carry a big stick - how a president is meant to conduct business

Donald trump just isn't up to the task of corralling an international response

He really should be focussing on his trump TV and hobbies such as water sports

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Walrus posted:

I agree if the world leaders you're talking to have shown any interest at all in diplomacy or negotiation - that's not the case with NK though.

I think any single president would have made the same threat in the same direct language. The rest of the speech was the usual gibbering drooling though

ugh

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Jesus gently caress you are stupid.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The Walrus posted:

I agree with all of that but this is a US issue not a Trump issue.

The chances of NK actually hitting a major US target are essentially NIL, and a at most all they've really done is make bombastic threats and postured around Guam. Nothing has happened or is even close to happening yet. If Trump starts a conflict in the Korean peninsula, he will have the blood of millions on his hands. Much like the war on terror, the fact of the US can engage flippantly in actions that kill millions on the idea that they are protecting their own people from a vague and unrealized threat is monstrous. It's not stupid it's evil and if you believe it isn't then you are evil too. And I have no doubt that Trump is just saying bluntly what a ton of generals and military people are whispering in the background. They want their Forever War.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no one likes nk. it's a garbage country run by garbage people. even sk only pays lip service to that whole one nation thing, since any nk refugees don't exactly get a warm welcome. the big problems are their gently caress seoul artillery setup and what would likely be the greatest humanitarian crisis in history once an invading force had to deal with the millions of starving illiterate peasants after destroying what little infrastructure already exists. threatening to nuke nk doesn't solve either of those things and has the added bonus of creating the possibility of an open war with china. no one loving wants the us to go to war with china because that would be retarded.

trump isn't capable of handling this situation and he just went up before the un and explained as much to the entire world.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

The Walrus posted:

man I'm really worried cause I hate this guy and everything he stands for but looking past the hysteria I'm really not seeing an issue with the main point of his speech. The states are not the aggressors here. Korea is building nukes and threatening to use them against US soil. The Unites States has *already* said that they are willing to retaliate with nuclear force if needed - now Trump has his chance to face to face say 'no really we're not fooling' to NK and the world and he's not supposed to do that? yeah, these are big scary words but it's a big scary situation and right now NK thinks the states is full of poo poo. I mean, I'm not sure that this speech would change things but what the heck else did you guys expect him to say? Obama would have said the same poo poo.

please tell me why I'm wrong

Obama would not have said that, or anything close to it. He would have ignored NK's empty threats that they have been making for decades and said some poo poo about world peace for the UN to applaud. Instead Trump says some bullshit about glassing the whole country, which is just bluster and everyone knows it, and it makes us look like idiots. The stuff the Trump administration is saying IS full of poo poo and NK knows it, China will retaliate against any preemptive strike and millions of South Koreans will die in the ensuing war even if China doesn't.

e: pretty much this

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

trump isn't capable of handling this situation and he just went up before the un and explained as much to the entire world.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Guys he doesn't say what he's going to do before he does it, military. We

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
guys I'm not saying its not hosed just that it's the same hosed that the States has been for a long time so don't make it about trump.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

"Durr I wonder why being the president and making grand statements about wiping a whole country off the face of the map is such bad thing to do???" -you

edit: Hah this is really a slow-burn chuckle to a lmao because how do you even not comprehend this hahahah

man you must be a fuckin insufferable chode irl. he didnt make a grand statement out of nowhere, he confirmed the policy that has already been stated by flynn and others, that a nuclear attack on the US or allies would result in a nuclear retaliation. of course he needed to add his usual trump exaggeration 'wipe it off the map' and yeah that's dumb wording but I see people on here and on social media already talking like it's trump that wants to set the world on fire and that's just not true

edit: I guess I see the current situation differently from this thread. decades of empty threads no longer become empty when the enemy now has a nuke. if you think obama would not have directly responded to an enemy threat of a nuclear strike then we just have different takes on this.

but whatever, this isn't what this thread's for, that's the last I'll say on it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Walrus posted:

guys I'm not saying its not hosed just that it's the same hosed that the States has been for a long time so don't make it about trump.

man you must be a fuckin insufferable chode irl. he didnt make a grand statement out of nowhere, he confirmed the policy that has already been stated by flynn and others, that a nuclear attack on the US or allies would result in a nuclear retaliation. of course he needed to add his usual trump exaggeration 'wipe it off the map' and yeah that's dumb wording but I see people on here and on social media already talking like it's trump that wants to set the world on fire and that's just not true

but whatever, this isn't what this thread's for, that's the last I'll say on it.

Let me put a finer point on it since you have a massive head wound right now or something: He said he would destroy the entire nation of North Korea. You don't say that. Even W wouldn't have said that and that motherfucker is almost as stupid as you are.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Walrus posted:

Post itt every time you lol that The Walrus is posting.

(sorry)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

now that i've had the last word, i declare the discussion over

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
this thread doesn't have a lot of lols at the moment

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

now that i've had the last word, i declare the discussion over

lol I'm moooore than happy to continue and if anyone has anything else to say I'll reply but like I said that's not what this thread's for and I'm getting annoyed so why continue?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

no one likes nk. it's a garbage country run by garbage people. even sk only pays lip service to that whole one nation thing, since any nk refugees don't exactly get a warm welcome. the big problems are their gently caress seoul artillery setup and what would likely be the greatest humanitarian crisis in history once an invading force had to deal with the millions of starving illiterate peasants after destroying what little infrastructure already exists. threatening to nuke nk doesn't solve either of those things and has the added bonus of creating the possibility of an open war with china. no one loving wants the us to go to war with china because that would be retarded.

this is a much better response to a reasonable question imo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Walrus posted:

This is the part everyone is calling you out on. This exactly about Trump. No other president, even Bush, would make maniacal claims like that in front of world leaders. It's loving insane. It's not normal in the least bit. The US has never done that before. We've done horrible poo poo, a lot, but we aren't so blunt and childish about it.

How is this so hard to understand? This is ONLY about Trump. No one would say that but him.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Let me put a finer point on it since you have a massive head wound right now or something: He said he would destroy the entire nation of North Korea. You don't say that. Even W wouldn't have said that and that motherfucker is almost as stupid as you are.

:hfive: on comparing Bush to Trump homie

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 19, 2017

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

VictorianQueerLit posted:

this thread doesn't have a lot of lols at the moment

Threatening to completely destroy an entire nation in front of the world kinda put a damper on things.

But yeah, it needs to be lol'd up.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is the part everyone is calling you out on. This exactly about Trump. No other president, even Bush, would make maniacal claims like that in front of world leaders. It's loving insane. It's not normal in the least bit. The US has never done that before. We've done horrible poo poo, a lot, but we aren't so blunt and childish about it.

How is this so hard to understand. This is ONLY about Trump. No one would say that but him.

I don't know enough about what went on at the general assembly during the cold war to comment on it but you would need to go back that far to find a similar situation with a nuclear-armed enemy directly threatening US soil with a nuclear attack. You're right, it's insane and not normal, and thats why it got an exceptional response. Again I'm not judging the wisdom of that response, just not surprised by it.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

this is a much better response to a reasonable question imo

I also thought it was a reasonable question, but I preferred this response:

Sedge and Bee posted:

The chances of NK actually hitting a major US target are essentially NIL, and a at most all they've really done is make bombastic threats and postured around Guam. Nothing has happened or is even close to happening yet. If Trump starts a conflict in the Korean peninsula, he will have the blood of millions on his hands. Much like the war on terror, the fact of the US can engage flippantly in actions that kill millions on the idea that they are protecting their own people from a vague and unrealized threat is monstrous. It's not stupid it's evil and if you believe it isn't then you are evil too. And I have no doubt that Trump is just saying bluntly what a ton of generals and military people are whispering in the background. They want their Forever War.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Walrus posted:

I don't know enough about what went on at the general assembly during the cold war to comment on it but you would need to go back that far to find a similar situation with a nuclear-armed enemy directly threatening US soil with a nuclear attack. You're right, it's insane and not normal, and thats why it got an exceptional response. Again I'm not judging the wisdom of that response, just not surprised by it.

I promise you, no one has ever said that during the cold war. Everyone was walking on eggshells so if someone were to even say the wrong thing... poo poo could go down. They were all smarter than him.

Oh also, you are very correct. You should not be surprised by any of this. This is all new to us and yet nothing is surprising anymore.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
i wouldn't want to be the world leader who went to war because donald trump told me to.

i don't foresee a coalition of the willing any time soon

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

As a wise man once said, "Don't do what Donny Don't does."

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/910264860885372928

lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also NK having a nuke doesn't change the game really because we aren't the only country on Earth that would glass them if they launched it. China talks a big chill game but they would march millions of troops in to NK and feed everyone their own loving guts from Kim Jong Un to the lowliest bootlick.

Like, honestly, the reason the US can get away with this sort of posturing is because we are effectively untouchable, that's why our biggest enemies use cybercrime and focused terrorism, we are so utterly massive and overarmed that you can't threaten us with violence. We ARE violence.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I promise you, no one has ever said that during the cold war. Everyone was walking on eggshells so if someone were to even say the wrong thing... poo poo could go down. They were all smarter than him.

Oh also, you are very correct. You should not be surprised by any of this. This is all new to us and yet nothing is surprising anymore.

They wouldn't because of MAD, both arsenals were planet-ending so it was in both countries' interest to prevent that from happening. but if Russia was the size of equatorial guinea and had one nuke held together by duct tape they probably would have. this is really all just conjecture and differences of opinion though so I really am out, you guys win, good luck in the coming long night

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage
And in non-US media it barely caused a ripple, just Two Scoops being Two Scoops, who cares what the fucker has to say.

Which is a little strange, cause the fucker in question, you know the pussy grabbing, wife raping, not too smart sociopath is, wait for it, the President of the United States!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Walrus posted:

They wouldn't because of MAD, both arsenals were planet-ending so it was in both countries' interest to prevent that from happening. but if Russia was the size of equatorial guinea and had one nuke held together by duct tape they probably would have. this is really all just conjecture and differences of opinion though so I really am out, you guys win, good luck in the coming long night

MAD only reinforces what I just said.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Remember when the US press laughed off the bluster and grandstanding in Ahmadinejad's speeches

haha

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

like recall any tinpot dictator ranting at the UN and I'm sure they knew what they were doing, have read a book, and could go a day without making GBS threads themselves

whoops america. WHOOPS.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Durf posted:

Remember when the US press laughed off the bluster and grandstanding in Ahmadinejad's speeches

haha
If you told Trump if he was not any different from Ahmadinejad would he stroke out and die?

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/910230655727960065

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ah, a finally, a lol.

akiyba
Jan 28, 2009

I'd love to see him bankrupt the RNC lol

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

Talk softly but carry a big stick - how a president is meant to conduct business

The world is going to end because of a sad man's size insecurity lol

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

It's funny to watch Kelly mug to the camera like Jim from the office, but then you realize that he is cringing because Trump sounds like a retard, not because he actually disagrees with anything Trump is saying in terms of policy.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Woke up today and remembered who was president.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Professor Shark posted:

The world is going to end because of a sad man's size insecurity lol

All the advances and creativity of humanity brought to an end by two manchildren wheeling their micropenises at each other.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Eli Wiggum posted:

If you told Trump if he was not any different from Ahmadinejad would he stroke out and die?

here's his response: "who?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Good thing Trump doesn't need to pronounce Ahmadinejad or Medvedev

aka The Iran Sheek and Putin's Guy, You Know