Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I really really disliked Star Ruler 2, and I am one of the people that got talked into playing it due to goons endlessly talking about it.
[edit]In short: Star Ruler 2 was not fun at any point, please don't copy the boring elements from a game nobody talks about or plays willingly and there are 5 playthroughs of on YouTube because get this: it's boring

:same:, although less vehemently. I could not find anything fun about it in the first 10 hours and just gave up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

DatonKallandor posted:

If you can't recoginze that pieces of a game can be brilliant even if the entire package as a whole didn't completely work I don't think I'd want you to tell Paradox how to improve stellaris. In this case I specifically called out the coding miracles they pulled off to make SR2's scale run with the granularity it had at the performance it did. Previously, and not just by me, it's been praised for it's diplomacy system. I don't think anyone in this thread has complimented it's weird web-building resource system.

I feel that picking through a fairly recent game where none of it worked, given the complete dearth of 4Xs to copy from, is probably not a good starting point. The diplomacy system seemed like a neat experiment and something that if iterated further could actually be legit compelling. When I tried actually using it, I had pretty mixed results in terms of what the cards that I was getting let me actually do.

quote:

Not sure where you see SR2s resource system in Stellaris either - they're nothing alike. Stellaris is running on an almost completely bog standard RTS economy just with 4x style global food thrown on top of the vespene gas and minerals.

The fact that the resources are tied to objects in the system means that it's very finite and deterministic, just like in SR2. I don't like these simple, finite, discrete resources the way they were implemented. It has a crappy feel and Stellaris implementation manages to capture it.

quote:

And it's not like SR2 invented planets being inside solar system, that's kind of a thing in real life, not to mention almost every 4x (from MoO2 onwards). Some 4x games skipped it, sure, like SotS but the trend is big map -> systems -> multiple planets in 4x games.

There's different ways to represent scale and space in different games, I don't feel the implementation in SR2 worked for me, it doesn't create a feeling of territory for me.

In fact the game that Stellaris most resembles to me out of any other is Star Ruler 2, almost like it was being used as a reference 4x during development

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 19, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I really really disliked Star Ruler 2, and I am one of the people that got talked into playing it due to goons endlessly talking about it. From a loving browser UI that literally was meant to imitate chrome and felt like I was on newgrounds to the dumbest DOW2 style territory whack a mole design, it sold 5000 copies because that's what it deserved to sell

but apparently DatonKallandor pines for these poor overlooked devs, I disagree dude their game was dogshit that looked and played the part, they had a few neat ideas but so do many games

These are exactly the same talking points people have about stellaris in endless space thread (and even some in this one), so uh, sure. I think different people just like different things and star ruler 2 owned.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Star Ruler 2 was alright but the cool stuff didn't outweigh the lack of enjoyment I got from empire management. Lose one planet and suddenly an entire tier 4 chain is hosed.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I want to preorder Synthetic Dawn through Steam. Why can't I give them my money now?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Demiurge4 posted:

Star Ruler 2 was alright but the cool stuff didn't outweigh the lack of enjoyment I got from empire management. Lose one planet and suddenly an entire tier 4 chain is hosed.

You mean like how a supply line works? :thunk:

Both Star Rulers owned and Ham's meltdown is hilarious. Stellaris is better because in a couple of days it's going to let me play as aggressive roombas that have laid waste to their creators, though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zesty posted:

I want to preorder Synthetic Dawn through Steam. Why can't I give them my money now?

Not an empty quote.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm sure the few thousand nerds all trying to download a ~150MB update all at the same time are going to bring the Steam content servers to their knees.

Wiz is just cheaping out on us by not allowing anyone to preload.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Tell me more about how you hang out with young teens.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Psycho Landlord posted:

You mean like how a supply line works? :thunk:

Both Star Rulers owned and Ham's meltdown is hilarious. Stellaris is better because in a couple of days it's going to let me play as aggressive roombas that have laid waste to their creators, though.

Lol if you still read Ham Sandwich posts.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm sure the few thousand nerds all trying to download a ~150MB update all at the same time are going to bring the Steam content servers to their knees.

Wiz is just cheaping out on us by not allowing anyone to preload.

Eh, I can only play starting Friday evening anyway, so for me buying and downloading it on release day is like "preloading" it for the weekend, anyway.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

Is there a FE that genocides psionic ascension empires because they don't want End of The Cycle to happen again?

If not this is something that needs to happen.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
All the Paradox employees need to be aware that there is a button somewhere that is not being pushed. A very important button. Not being pushed. Set to not be pushed for two more days at that. Let that sink in for a moment. I think the entire player base can agree that if said button were pushed, we wouldn't mind. Honest mistake, could happen to anyone, John from accounting totally wasn't the one who did it, etc...

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zesty posted:

You can preorder through the Paradox webstore.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I preferred SR1 but SR2 is objectively an extremely worthwhile game to look at because it does things differently and has a lot of good ideas. Like if you're looking at how to do a space 4x, it should be among the first games you look at for how to do it because a lot of the systems are novel and fun.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I preferred SR1 but SR2 is objectively an extremely worthwhile game to look at because it does things differently and has a lot of good ideas. Like if you're looking at how to do a space 4x, it should be among the first games you look at for how to do it because a lot of the systems are novel and fun.

Yep this is the Correct Opinion that goons repeated for the past 2 years on these forums, and I'll just throw out that unfortunately others disagree and feel SR2 is boring bullshit that looked promising but played horribly and had irredeemable mechanics - not a flawed gem that was sadly overlooked.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zesty posted:

You can pre-order through the paradox store and activate it on steam as soon as it launches. Also this allows you to actually give paradox your money instead of giving gabe newall and also paradox your money.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm mad that people on the internet like a video game that I don't like.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

turn off the TV posted:

I'm mad that people on the internet like a video game that I don't like.

The Kingdom Hearts game for the Gameboy Advance is an actual crime against humanity but some people like it and every time I think about that fact I feel myself dying a little bit on the inside. What were we talking about?

EDIT: Pre-order through Paradoxplaza to buy Johan, not Gaben, a bigger yacht. Please

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The highly illegal observation that star ruler 2 sold terribly and played even worse, imitate it in your game at your peril as I am not sure I would hitch my cart to that horse! But uhh those results they got are very enviable, I hope you can achieve their lofty heights of success using their ideas.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Good to know that Ham's inability to rationally compare games extends beyond XCOM/that new Battletech game.

Also, lmao if you get pissy about people liking a game you don't. Might as well yell at people who like car color X and not car color Y.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

That's a good point, he probably didn't like SR2 because it didn't share enough gameplay elements with XCOM.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

LordMune posted:

EDIT: Pre-order through Paradoxplaza to buy Johan, not Gaben, a bigger yacht. Please

Can I order it on Steam if I'm indifferent to the Gaben/Johan yacht gap?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Psycho Landlord posted:

That's a good point, he probably didn't like SR2 because it didn't share enough gameplay elements with XCOM.

I'm having a hard time understanding what two people posting about my posting style has anything to do with Stellaris or Star Ruler 2? We're talking about videogames not what you guys think of me as a poster right?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The highly illegal observation that star ruler 2 sold terribly and played even worse, imitate it in your game at your peril as I am not sure I would hitch my cart to that horse! But uhh those results they got are very enviable, I hope you can achieve their lofty heights of success using their ideas.

Do you think that everyone else posting in this thread is a Wiz alt?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

turn off the TV posted:

Do you think that everyone else posting in this thread is a Wiz alt?

What happened to the joke thread title rename, you didn't feel it was a sufficient burn? Didn't work on some other level?

Hopefully, I think I've been shouted down enough by people for daring to say that Star Ruler 2 was not very good, in my opinion, that the thread can now move on in glorious xenophile love.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Ham Sandwiches posted:

What happened to the joke thread title rename, you didn't feel it was a sufficient burn? Didn't work on some other level?

Hopefully, I think I've been shouted down enough by people for daring to say that Star Ruler 2 was not very good, in my opinion, that the thread can now move on in glorious xenophile love.

IMO, SR2 was a bad game but your posting is worse. Thanks for stopping by though; next time try your best not to poo poo all over the floor.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

BadOptics posted:

IMO, SR2 was a bad game but your posting is worse. Thanks for stopping by though; next time try your best not to poo poo all over the floor.

Hey dude, I don't care about whatever vendetta you have, please talk to your therapist or put me on ignore or whatever self care you need to do to Get Over It

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I'm having a hard time understanding what two people posting about my posting style has anything to do with Stellaris or Star Ruler 2? We're talking about videogames not what you guys think of me as a poster right?

It would be much easier for you to have the discussions you claim you want in all these threads if you didn't resort to goony hyperbole every time you try to make a point. You could have just said "I didn't like X game for X reasons discuss please," but instead you posted whatever that messy poo poo of a first post was out of nowhere and proceeded to take a weird rage against the hivemind stance against some perceived status quo.

I would prefer you keep doing what you're doing because it's hilarious, but if you're genuinely autistic or something and don't know why nobody seems to take you seriously in these threads, that's why.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Conskill posted:

Can I order it on Steam if I'm indifferent to the Gaben/Johan yacht gap?

There's no steam preorder so not until 9/21.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
As fascinating as this troll-off over SR2 is, I have a far more important question: Are there any extra goodies for pre-ordering Synthetic Dawn? I'm always a sucker for companies giving out free stuff if you pre-order their stuff.

If not, it's OK, too! In that case I'll just patiently wait a couple days more! It's fine!

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Psycho Landlord posted:

It would be much easier for you to have the discussions you claim you want in all these threads if you didn't resort to goony hyperbole every time you try to make a point. You could have just said "I didn't like X game for X reasons discuss please," but instead you posted whatever that messy poo poo of a first post was out of nowhere and proceeded to take a weird rage against the hivemind stance against some perceived status quo.

Tell me dude, does the Stellaris thread need this discussion?

It's weird how like posting what I think of Star Ruler 2 invites this kind of poo poo, and this person is kinda self righteously metacommentating my posting, because they think I have Wrong Opinions and don't do myself PR favors, and all of this exchange happens in a forum where you aren't directly allowed to respond to these kinds of posts and engage in this kind of discussion (not on topic) but when people do it piecemeal to you its totally on topic.

If you really really dislike my posts so intensely, just try not to read them or comment on them and it seems like life would be wonderful, right? Why go through this stuff in the thread? Who gives a poo poo?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Libluini posted:

As fascinating as this troll-off over SR2 is, I have a far more important question: Are there any extra goodies for pre-ordering Synthetic Dawn? I'm always a sucker for companies giving out free stuff if you pre-order their stuff.

If not, it's OK, too! In that case I'll just patiently wait a couple days more! It's fine!

None from what I've seen on my pre-order confirmation from the pdox site.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Ham Sandwiches posted:

and this person is kinda self righteously metacommentating my posting, because they think I have Wrong Opinions and don't do myself PR favors,

Ham Sandwiches posted:

This guy comes into the thread about once a month complaining about detailed discussions being too much for him to handle. He can also only manage one line posts.

Hey bro sometimes people will talk about stuff you don't like, maybe you can take this show back on the road?

:ironicat:

Never change, friend, I love your posting.

More on topic, I seem to recall Wiz saying they weren't going to do preorder bonuses for story packs, so get it from wherever you're going to get it (PDox store is obviously the superior choice)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Why on Earth do people want to preorder a DLC? It's not like you get it any sooner, or get any free stuff.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I kinda wish they weren't dead set on each hull size having a specific AI behaviour. The new corvette/missile-interceptor AI for destroyers is going to render their artillery core kinda useless.

Can ships split fire between targets?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

PittTheElder posted:

Why on Earth do people want to preorder a DLC? It's not like you get it any sooner, or get any free stuff.

Eh, I know for an absolute fact I want this, so might as well, means on release day I can just keep an eye on my email instead of frantically F5-ing various threads to see whether It Is Out Yet

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

I kinda wish they weren't dead set on each hull size having a specific AI behaviour. The new corvette/missile-interceptor AI for destroyers is going to render their artillery core kinda useless.

Can ships split fire between targets?

Yeah, this is one thing I'd definitely like to see changed. Even basic offensive/defensive computer options on a per design basis would be huge, I think.

I'm actually not positive whether or not ships split fire, but I want to say they don't.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Eh, I know for an absolute fact I want this, so might as well, means on release day I can just keep an eye on my email instead of frantically F5-ing various threads to see whether It Is Out Yet

:same: Some games I'll pre-order the dlc and others I'll wait. Really depends on the game/dev/how much I've been playing said game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

https://twitter.com/martin_anward/status/910268878420357120

Actually, Wiz, Stellaris is garbage and can never be fixed

(but really I'm super excited to play 1.8 and to see what they have planned next)

• Locked thread