Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Explorer posted:

Ok, cool. So the steps in your example are this: Paint happens > utility company work happens > pole falls down. With leaded gasoline we have: Leaded gasoline happens > ???? > bad things happen. What happens at step ????

In the example, both the poles being painted and the falling of the poles is being caused by the utility company.

In the topic at hand, there could be a third thing that caused both increased exposure to lead and increased likelihood to commit crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3829390/

The assertion does not hold up under scrutiny. Sorry.

as somebody in neuroscience, i don't find this paper particularly convincing, sorry

it's pointing out a mismatch between the ecological and cohort studies, but it discusses flaws in the ecological studies while presenting the cohort studies as sound on their face. they are not necessarily so; the cohort studies were measuring conduct problems, inattentiveness, etc. at a clinically significant level. this is not necessarily relevant - you could have societally significant effects at sub-clinical levels of impulsiveness quite easily! this paper does not show its work sufficiently, it's mostly just presenting and asserting.

Jizz Festival posted:

I wonder what an overlay of this lead map and an income map would look like. Maybe lead makes people poor also?

lead paint prevalence does correlate with income. however, atmospheric lead, by its nature, cannot, and that's what a measure of present-day soil lead levels is determining: historical atmospheric lead levels (as well as lead paint, probably)

remember that leaded gasoline is not proposed as an explanation for all crime, but rather for the crime wave of the 60s-90s

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 19, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jizz Festival posted:

In the example, both the poles being painted and the falling of the poles is being caused by the utility company.

In the topic at hand, there could be a third thing that caused both increased exposure to lead and increased likelihood to commit crimes.

....no, its been pretty well established that lead was linked to increase in crime.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

PerniciousKnid posted:

If there's a utility company going around painting poles that are to be cut down, you'll find a perfect correlation between paint and pole removal. That doesn't mean paint makes poles fall down.

There is no logical mechanism by which they paint could fell the pole, whereas the effects of lead poisoning are pretty well researched and the causal link is definitely there. So the situations here are pretty darn different.

Jizz Festival posted:

Sure, there could be. But until a plausible one is presented, one is justified in going with the best explanation available.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

....no, its been pretty well established that lead was linked to increase in crime.

I'm explaining why simply overlaying a map of lead ppm and crime rates might not be telling the whole story. Lead can increase "criminalness" or whatever while also being concentrated in areas where crime rates are already going to be higher for other reasons.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jizz Festival posted:

I'm explaining why simply overlaying a map of lead ppm and crime rates might not be telling the whole story. Lead can increase "criminalness" or whatever while also being concentrated in areas where crime rates are already going to be higher for other reasons.

Have you read the Mother Jones article that was linked earlier?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jazerus posted:

remember that leaded gasoline is not proposed as an explanation for all crime, but rather for the crime wave of the 60s-90s

And this is the whole crux of the issue. That a complex sociological problem would have a single cause is silly and not supported by the data.

No question that lead exposure is a bad thing for people, but that this significantly contributed to criminal activity is highly questionable. Lead and crime certainly correlate, but that is a long way from proving it's the cause. "What else could it be?" is just an appeal to ignorance fallacy.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Have you read the Mother Jones article that was linked earlier?

Nope, nor do I plan on doing so.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jizz Festival posted:

Nope, nor do I plan on doing so.

Cool, it's really interesting reading your mindless questions that are addressed in the article.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Cool, it's really interesting reading your mindless questions that are addressed in the article.

Feel free to address them yourself rather than commanding me to read an article. Thanks.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jizz Festival posted:

Feel free to address them yourself rather than commanding me to read an article. Thanks.

Lead affects your brain in negative ways. There's a really strong correlation between leaded gasoline and violence, even if that means the order is leaded gasoline > developmental issues > violence. They didn't simply overlay a map correlating the two, they were able to use the different timelines when different regions outlawed leaded gasoline to show that there is a link.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Leave it to goons to dissect the joke of "Thomas Midgley Jr. is a fucker and deseved getting polio."

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Lead affects your brain in negative ways. There's a really strong correlation between leaded gasoline and violence, even if that means the order is leaded gasoline > developmental issues > violence. They didn't simply overlay a map correlating the two, they were able to use the different timelines when different regions outlawed leaded gasoline to show that there is a link.

That sounds like a really dumb article. Thank you for saving me the time I would've wasted reading it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

And this is the whole crux of the issue. That a complex sociological problem would have a single cause is silly and not supported by the data.

No question that lead exposure is a bad thing for people, but that this significantly contributed to criminal activity is highly questionable. Lead and crime certainly correlate, but that is a long way from proving it's the cause. "What else could it be?" is just an appeal to ignorance fallacy.

errrr

saying "what else could it be?" when you've controlled for the other plausible causes and still have a significant relationship is called coming to a conclusion my dude

here, have a paper from last year that was written by 7 people instead of one dude and that actually does statistical analysis, controlling for poverty, and still finds a significant relationship between lead and crime

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0013935116301037

i'm going to be honest, being responded to as though i'm scientifically ignorant is really off-putting. you are not taking a pretty well supported hypothesis into account at all because it does not fit into your paradigm. is it likely to be the entire story? well, no. there was other stuff going on in that time period that certainly contributed! but it isn't at all implausible that lead was one of the largest factors.

Jizz Festival posted:

That sounds like a really dumb article. Thank you for saving me the time I would've wasted reading it.

it's very good

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 19, 2017

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Jizz Festival posted:

Is there a Big Lead because you're trying pretty hard to defend it.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Taerkar posted:

Lol I'm anti-lead, but also extremely skeptical of these sorts of pop-science explanations for social phenomena that liberals love.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Taerkar posted:

You are loving missing the entire point.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Is it airplanes that are currently the largest emitters of lead nowadays, to the point where living close to an airport shows noticeably higher levels of lead in children's blood? I could be wrong but I find it hard to defend whomever doesn't want to try using unleaded avgas. Yeah I realize the certification is going to be a bitch and everyone will just say "lol airplanes are dangerous enough why mess with the FUEL" but let's at least start the conversation and shoot for autonomous electric planes unleaded aviation fuel for next generation passenger planes that operate near cities.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I mean it's sort of self-evident that lead isn't the only contributor to crime because despite dramatic de-leading efforts crime still exists. So simply pointing that out without actually addressing the huge drop in crime without a plausible alternate explanation is pretty dumb

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

e: Actually jet fuel may be complicated and not as easy to make less toxic, I am not an expert but unleaded airplane fuel where feasible seems like a good thing to encourage.

Asimov fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 20, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jizz Festival posted:

Lol I'm anti-lead, but also extremely skeptical of these sorts of pop-science explanations for social phenomena that liberals love.

Lol indeed

This isn't pop science, it's been in sociology textbooks for like decades now. But then I suppose only 'liberals' have any use for textbooks

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Asimov posted:

Is it airplanes that are currently the largest emitters of lead nowadays, to the point where living close to an airport shows noticeably higher levels of lead in children's blood? I could be wrong but I find it hard to defend whomever doesn't want to try using unleaded avgas. Yeah I realize the certification is going to be a bitch and everyone will just say "lol airplanes are dangerous enough why mess with the FUEL" but lets at least start the conversation and shoot for autonomous electric planes unleaded aviation fuel for next generation passenger planes that operate near cities.

Probably them and various mining operations. Lead shows up in various useful ores.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

The Bloop posted:

Lol indeed

This isn't pop science, it's been in sociology textbooks for like decades now. But then I suppose only 'liberals' have any use for textbooks

The banning of leaded gasoline being the major cause of the drop in crime in the 90s is in sociology textbooks?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

The Bloop posted:

Lol indeed

Or statistical analysis beyond OLS regression. IV regression analysis is for stupid libs

The actual pop science explanation was the one proffered by the Freakonomics guy, that legal abortion contributed to the crime drop.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mustached Demon posted:

You are loving missing the entire point.

Nope.

A lot of his dismissive behavior is pretty indistinguishable from anti-intellectualism.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Shut up and read this article

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41327420

quote:

Police in Colorado are looking for a mystery jogger - dubbed "the Mad Pooper" - who keeps defecating outside a family's home.
Cathy Budde says the woman has left human waste in front of her property about seven times in recent weeks, even though there are public toilets nearby.
She says her children caught the runner in the act, squatting by their house in Colorado Springs.
The city police department said such behaviour is "bizarre".
Lt Howard Black told the BBC the suspect could be charged under a city ordinance banning public urination or defecation.
"I haven't come across anything like this in 35 years with the police department," he added.
He said it is not clear if mental health issues are involved.
Mrs Budde told news station KKTV she has confronted the woman.
"So I come outside, and I'm like, 'Are you serious?' Are you really taking a poop right here in front of my kids?' She's like, 'Yeah, sorry!'
"I thought for sure she's mortified, it's an accident, she'll go get a dog bag, clean it up and never run here again. Not the case."
Mrs Budde added: "Two other times we've caught her - caught her yesterday - she changed up her time a little bit because she knew I was watching.
"I put a sign on the wall that's like, 'please, I'm begging you, please stop.'"
But she says this did not deter the jogger from answering the call of nature outside the Budde residence.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Where's Chuck Johnson?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

What a lovely human being

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Taerkar posted:

Nope.

A lot of his dismissive behavior is pretty indistinguishable from anti-intellectualism.

What is the use of intellectualism when RON PAUL Leftism has answers to all problems.

checkmate libtard

:smug:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Dr. Oz is a massive fraud and rear end in a top hat, but this Fox and Friends segment was amazing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.99a17a35d58d

quote:

“Can I ask you one thing?” Oz said, suddenly talking very fast. “I talked about the opioid epidemic, but the real story is the hypocrisy around medical marijuana.”

Now Doocy tensed up, one hand clutched in the other, a tight ball of fingers beneath a deep frown. He nodded slowly and inhaled as if to say something.

But Oz kept talking about the virtues of marijuana, and Doocy said nothing — yet.

Likewise, the host merely frowned in silence as Oz took the final seconds of Tuesday’s “Fox & Friends” segment to extol the wonders of medical pot.

“Just really quickly,” Oz said, “people think it’s a gateway drug to narcotics. It may be the exit drug to get us out of the narcotic epidemic.”

Across the couch, a hand floated up uncertainly from Doocy’s lap. The host clutched his striped tie, then the edge of his jacket, then dropped his hand back to his knee as his jaw fell open.

"Wow,” Doocy said, and Oz continued: “But we’re not allowed to study it, because it’s a Schedule 1 drug, and, personally, I believe it could help.”

“The District of Columbia, which has a lot of really poor people, now they have a program where poor people get discounted pot!” Doocy said, putting his emphasis not on the drug, but the discount.

Washington had, in fact, passed a law that year giving low-income residents discounts on medical marijuana.

“The worry,” Doocy explained, “is people will say, ‘Yeah, I’m broke, and I need the pot.’ And they’ll give them the pot. Then they’ll just turn around and sell it on the street. Because it’ll be the really good stuff.”

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

What a lovely human being

Why that one house, is what I want to know. Is she some fecal joker, wanting to watch the world burn?

Taerkar posted:

Where's Chuck Johnson?

Possibly Colorado Springs under an assumed identity.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Guys... just dont eat lead? Whats so hard about this

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Calibanibal posted:

Have you ever had a nice slice of lead? You can't just give it up cold turkey.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Calibanibal posted:

this is america pal and if i want a one way ticket to flavor country then by god it's my right

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Taerkar posted:

Where's Chuck Johnson?

Lots of places have floors.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Xae posted:

What is the use of intellectualism when RON PAUL Leftism has answers to all problems.

checkmate libtard

:smug:

Hard to match the intellectualism of this Mother Jones article:

quote:

So this is the choice before us: We can either attack crime at its root by getting rid of the remaining lead in our environment, or we can continue our current policy of waiting 20 years and then locking up all the lead-poisoned kids who have turned into criminals.

quote:

A childlike understanding of the economy. More smart = better job = more money!

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Calibanibal posted:

every 10 minutes a child gets high af huffing lead fumes straight out the pipe smh

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Herm why yes, the infographic doesn't contain all the citations of the scientific paper linked in the article:

quote:

Previous studies identified a curvilinear association between aggregated blood lead (BL) and soil lead (SL) data in New Orleans census tracts. In this study we investigate the relationships between SL (mg/kg), age of child, and BL (μg/dL) of 55,551 children in 280 census tracts in metropolitan New Orleans, 2000 to 2005. Analyses include random effects regression models predicting BL levels of children (μg/dL) and random effects logistic regression models predicting the odds of BL in children exceeding 15, 10, 7, 5, and 3 μg/dL as a function of age and SL exposure. Economic benefits of SL reduction scenarios are estimated. A unit raise in median SL0.5 significantly increases the BL level in children (b = 0.214 p = < 0.01), and a unit change in Age0.5 significantly increases child BL (b = 0.401, p = < 0.01). A unit change in Age0.5 increases the odds of a child BL exceeding 10 μg/dL by a multiplicative factor of 1.23 (95% CI 1.21 to 1.25), and a unit (mg/kg) addition of SL increases the odds of child BL > 10 μg/dL by a factor of 1.13 (95% CI 1.12 to 1.14). Extrapolating from regression results, we find that a shift in SL regulatory standard from 400 to 100 mg/kg provides each child with an economic benefit ranging from $4710 to $12,624 ($US 2000). Children's BL is a curvilinear function of both age and level of exposure to neighborhood SL. Therefore, a change in SL regulatory standard from 400 to 100 mg/kg provides children with substantial economic benefit.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969710012672

Hurr durr stupid scientists with their childlike understanding of the economy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/kailanikm/status/910301748669112321

A democrat in a blue state. Pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Jizz Festival posted:

Hard to match the intellectualism of this Mother Jones article:

A childlike understanding of the economy. More smart = better job = more money!

How much lead paint did you eat as a child? Why are you so defensive about your decision to eat lead paint?

• Locked thread