Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
[quote="“ddogflex”" post="“476526883”"]
Like, you bought the refurb, or it was a replacement?
[/quote]

Bought a returb. Nothing wrong with my S0, just wanted a upgrade.

I'll check the box more closely when I am home later, but I really done remember seeing a cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

io_burn posted:

Are there any Apple Watch games worth playing anymore? I haven't really seen anything pop up in the last couple years aside from that Runeblade game which was really just a clicker that happened to run on the Apple Watch instead of your iPhone.

The best Apple Watch game is the activity app. The goal is to make the red circle go around twice.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Searched the box again and no magnetic charger. This ever happened to anyone else?

I guess I'll call tomorroe to resolve this.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
You can only buy refurb watches from the website so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Unless you mean they replaced your original one with a refurb through the Genius Bar. If that's what you mean, then yeah, the refurbished watches from the Genius Bar don't come with a charging cable because you're supposed to keep your original cable.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Biodome posted:

You can only buy refurb watches from the website so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Unless you mean they replaced your original one with a refurb through the Genius Bar. If that's what you mean, then yeah, the refurbished watches from the Genius Bar don't come with a charging cable because you're supposed to keep your original cable.

No. I bought a refurb for myself as an upgrade from my S0. Opened the box when I got home and there is no charging pad.

Of course I still have my pad from my S0 so I can use this S2 until I sort this out with Apple.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

TraderStav posted:

No matter if I turn notifications off in the Watch app, News keeps sending me updates. I do enjoy having them come to my phone so am hesitant to turn them off altogether. Is this a bug that (hopefully) will be address in WatchOS4? Or has anyone figured out a solution? It's very annoying. I'm trying to keep my notifications on my wrist to be actual people communicating to me and not getting an update that Trump did something stupid again.
I can't help you other than confirming that I had the same problem and also couldn't find a solution. I ended up turning off notifications on my phone and using another news app that worked as expected (correctly?)

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So I called Apple today regarding the missing charger. CSR told me that the refurbs do not include a charger, which seemed strange to me.

Checked the listing again, and it absolutely says that it does include the charger in the box. Started a chat session, and was once again told that the rebrubs do not include a charger. Sent them a link to the listing; which they accepted and said I needed to return the entire watch; no chance that they could just send me a charging cable.

Told them that was unacceptable. There's no good reason that I need to process an entire return because the is missing, when they are available off the shelf. They agreed to just issue me a $30 gift card, which is fine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Sock The Great posted:

So I called Apple today regarding the missing charger. CSR told me that the refurbs do not include a charger, which seemed strange to me.

Checked the listing again, and it absolutely says that it does include the charger in the box. Started a chat session, and was once again told that the rebrubs do not include a charger. Sent them a link to the listing; which they accepted and said I needed to return the entire watch; no chance that they could just send me a charging cable.

Told them that was unacceptable. There's no good reason that I need to process an entire return because the is missing, when they are available off the shelf. They agreed to just issue me a $30 gift card, which is fine.

That's odd. Sell you a watch that you cannot charge?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

That's odd. Sell you a watch that you cannot charge?

Multiple CSR's said the refurbished units absolutely 100% do not include a charger. Makes no sense at all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is WatchOS 4 supposed to be out today with iOS 11? It's not showing up for me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Sock The Great posted:

Multiple CSR's said the refurbished units absolutely 100% do not include a charger. Makes no sense at all.

Send Tim an email. That's horseshit

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“Endless Mike”" post="“476553774”"]
Is WatchOS 4 supposed to be out today with iOS 11? It’s not showing up for me.
[/quote]

Just showed up for me. It’s downloading now.

ETA says it should take... 16 hours :thunk:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

For those of you with S2, how long does the battery last while the GPS is active? I assume GPS wrecks the battery.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“Henrik Zetterberg”" post="“476554406”"]
For those of you with S2, how long does the battery last while the GPS is active? I assume GPS wrecks the battery.
[/quote]

5 hours of active GPS on both series 2 and 3. 4 hours of GPS+LTE for the S3. LTE calling if the biggest offender on the S3 with just 1 hour of call time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

5 hours of active GPS on both series 2 and 3. 4 hours of GPS+LTE for the S3. LTE calling if the biggest offender on the S3 with just 1 hour of call time.

Gross.

When you say GPS+LTE, do you mean just by having LTE, or using it with the GPS (streaming music or whatever)?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I wouldn't have cared much about not getting a charger for a phone because they're so cheap but watch charger is loving expensive and there aren't any good knock offs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Those are workout/exercise times and come straight from Apple. They haven’t released just LTE music listening times yet. Here’s the full spiel:

quote:

Apple says its Apple Watch Series 3 offers "all-day battery life" with 18 hours of usage, but in some cases, the LTE model's battery will drain more quickly.

The 18-hour usage metric includes 90 time checks, 90 notifications, 45 minutes of app use, and a 30-minute workout with music playback, and on the LTE model, it includes 4 hours of LTE connection and 14 hours of connection to iPhone via Bluetooth.

When talking on the Apple Watch or working out, though, battery life is shorter when using an LTE connection.

The Series 3 Apple Watch offers 1 hour of battery life when talking to someone on the phone over LTE, or three hours when connected to the iPhone.

For audio playback when connected to the iPhone, the Apple Watch battery will last for up to 10 hours, which is an improvement over the Series 2 (6.5 hours). Apple does not mention how long the battery will last when listening to music over an LTE connection, but the Apple Watch Series 3 will support streaming from Apple Music without an iPhone.

When it comes to workouts, the Apple Watch battery will last for up to 10 hours during an indoor workout with an iPhone nearby, but that number drops for an outdoor workout sans iPhone. With just GPS activated, the battery in the Series 3 Apple Watch will last for five hours (the same battery life as the Series 2 with GPS on), and when connected to LTE and GPS the battery will last for four hours during an outdoor workout.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Haggins posted:

I wouldn't have cared much about not getting a charger for a phone because they're so cheap but watch charger is loving expensive and there aren't any good knock offs.

They are $30 and the cord is only a little more than a foot long, which is a joke. The one I got out of the box with my S0 is obnoxiously long.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Unless there’s a special cable now for boxes, the cables are 1m and 2m.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

I was disappointed at first I couldn’t put a Now Playing complication on the Siri watchface but apparently anything you have playing, music or otherwise, will pop up as its own card. Timers and such also get their own cards, which I was surprised to find out.

I like this face.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Sock The Great posted:

They are $30 and the cord is only a little more than a foot long, which is a joke. The one I got out of the box with my S0 is obnoxiously long.

drat then that S0 cord is probably worth more than my beat up sport S0.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Speaking of disappointment with the Now Playing complication, you can’t put it in a corner, looks like it has to be full width.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

So does Os4 really get rid of the music apps ability to select music from your iPhone :raise: ?
That’s a HUGE drawback for me

Someone please confirm/deny this scary poo poo.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Looks like a confirm to me. Choosing album, artist, etc just says you have no music on this watch.

Unless you mean select music to download to the watch, then the answer appears to be “kinda”.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
It's pretty wild how silent Spotify has been on all things to do with the Apple Watch. Over on the Spotify forums the natives are unbelievably restless for some kind (or any kind) of statement on what in the world is happening with whether or not Spotify will also be able to stream on the Apple Watch. Seems like they're going to lose a chunk of subscribers for no reason when a "We're working on it" would probably keep a lot of people around waiting. (I know I would.)

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Wait, does this mean I can't start to play a song from my iPhone with my watch?

No more, "hey Siri, play mask off"? into my watch to play Mask/Off on my phone?

Wtf?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

decypher posted:

Wait, does this mean I can't start to play a song from my iPhone with my watch?

No more, "hey Siri, play mask off"? into my watch to play Mask/Off on my phone?

Wtf?
The Siri part works.

E: if that’s what QoP originally meant, then my bad. I was looking for a way to do it with tapping.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The Siri part works.

E: if that’s what QoP originally meant, then my bad. I was looking for a way to do it with tapping.

Siri is great until you have a band or song with a weird name, you're at her mercy then.

gently caress Apple for doing this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah it’s gone. Can’t change the source of music from the phone. Absolute wank.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
This update is not appearing for me. So annoying

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

io_burn posted:

It's pretty wild how silent Spotify has been on all things to do with the Apple Watch. Over on the Spotify forums the natives are unbelievably restless for some kind (or any kind) of statement on what in the world is happening with whether or not Spotify will also be able to stream on the Apple Watch. Seems like they're going to lose a chunk of subscribers for no reason when a "We're working on it" would probably keep a lot of people around waiting. (I know I would.)

Spotify has always been extremely terrible at communicating with their users for some reason. I consider it more of a quirk of the company than anything.

That being said I don't think this watch app thing is Spotify's fault. The Snowy guy had a bunch of issues creating his watch app and as far as I know, he had to utilize some bug/workaround type things in the OS to achieve his vision for the software.

Beyond that, Apple has made their thoughts known on this matter by making a separate, completely loving lovely "Now Playing" app that exists specifically to ruin the day of anyone who doesn't use Apple Music.

Overall I'm betting Apple is more of the problem here, but Spotify's characteristic lack of PR doesn't help either.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

When I try to update my S0 watch, my phone keeps saying it can't connect to the watch, even though it's fully charged and right next to it. I already updated my 6s to iOS 11.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Jumping on the refurb talk - when I got my Sport S2 in January, it absolutely came with a charger and the 2m cord.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Anya posted:

Jumping on the refurb talk - when I got my Sport S2 in January, it absolutely came with a charger and the 2m cord.

Well I got an update that they are just shipping me another watch altogether and I'll need to return this one. I am 100% opening the box in the store to ensure there is a charger inside.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

shadowvine118 posted:

When I try to update my S0 watch, my phone keeps saying it can't connect to the watch, even though it's fully charged and right next to it. I already updated my 6s to iOS 11.

My S0 is updating now from a 6s. It gave me guff about needing to be on the charger, try that.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Watch is at 90% battery and I’ve downloaded the update, but it won’t install unless I connect to a charger. :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I never really use the dock apps option, but having the app switcher move vertically instead of horizontally is a much better approach.

Are the new watch faces just Kaleidoscope and toy story? Kind of boring (and Trippy).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Duckman2008 posted:

I never really use the dock apps option, but having the app switcher move vertically instead of horizontally is a much better approach.

Are the new watch faces just Kaleidoscope and toy story? Kind of boring (and Trippy).

And SiriFace

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Siriface is good, but I expected a few more watch faces. I guess I could spend 1300 to get the Hermeś face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The Spotify business is especially odd when you consider that Deezer has an official and functional Apple Watch app.

• Locked thread