Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

w00tmonger posted:

Is this coming, or already live. Because those 2 are my favorites

This is on the test server. People have been posting and showing off these changes on the subreddit.

And here's some of the recoil patterns. I'm still on the side of "this is stupid as hell."

https://imgur.com/a/7hhIc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

This is on the test server. People have been posting and showing off these changes on the subreddit.

And here's some of the recoil patterns. I'm still on the side of "this is stupid as hell."

lol this is retarded.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Those can't be real, they're even worse than cs:go, TTS or not

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Now if only we could get some more Counter-Strike features, like, say, muting individual players in chat...

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Penpal posted:

Those can't be real, they're even worse than cs:go, TTS or not

The last time I was told images I posted about an update can't be real was the film-grain patch for Colonial Marines and it was and frankly I'm now convinced I'm some sort of retarded-update whisperer. :colbert:

the R4-C pattern made me laugh out loud at the way it goes back and forth. And I'd just recently gotten stupid good with the 556xi so gently caress me I guess.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Now if only we could get some more Counter-Strike features, like, say, muting individual players in chat...

For real, how is this still not a thing.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 19, 2017

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Those MUST be placeholders. Like they're just testing if the fixed spread works at all, so they're using easy to trace spreads, to check for gently caress ups.

Blitz sprinting is a good idea, finally he'll live up to his name.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Gonna just call guns by their recoil patterns. We've got sine-wave, parabola, wet noodle. I like the running as blitz, though, if that's a thing. Charging into obj and flashing sounds like a fun time

Hoo boy that recoil though. This is only because of pro league, right?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I mean, I can kinda understand the idea of having some guns pull more to one side, and others pulling upwards harder. But why the gently caress would they go in a zigzag shape?!

:psyduck:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Operation Bagman update lookin good tho. Check out this footage from the test server:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rKn9BNhQ0Y&t=10s

and apparently Blitz can now sprint while shield up.

:bisonyes:

also there were already plenty of places to put the tripmines where they were practically invisible. i'd take 1 hit kills over that but oh well lol, 40 is still a LOT of damage especially late in the round when ppl are rushing. this is likely more so he is less ignored at pro-tier lol

perhaps the sound of the laser can probably give it away just as easily as seeing the laser though...

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Kikas posted:

Those MUST be placeholders. Like they're just testing if the fixed spread works at all, so they're using easy to trace spreads, to check for gently caress ups.

Yeah, the ubi guy on that subreddit notes in a news post that the patterns aren't final. "Keep in mind that you are not testing a final version of these recoil patterns, or even new patterns for all weapons that will be receiving them." So hey, maybe it won't be as laughable when it actually hits live.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Penpal posted:

Gonna just call guns by their recoil patterns. We've got sine-wave, parabola, wet noodle. I like the running as blitz, though, if that's a thing. Charging into obj and flashing sounds like a fun time

Hoo boy that recoil though. This is only because of pro league, right?

Yes, eliminating randomness in recoil patterns is absolutely a Pro League thing. I'm perfectly fine with them for general gameplay too, to be fair, but I'm very used to CS.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

just one less thing to memorize in this fun game because the first shot is laser accurate

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

40dmg? Feels like gently caress all after what they currently are. I'll take 2/2 for my Kaps tho...

E oh poo poo the laser is gone

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 19, 2017

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Kapkan should have his trap replaced with saran wrap on doors

And yeah those patterns are definitely wip. I can imagine the discussion was had internally with the director during the course of Siege's development, between recoil patterns and the randomized spread we have now, and I'd like to know why they went with what the current option.

Because I thought the entire branding of rainbow games were realism, and set patterns are definitely not. And I'm not someone who will cry if a game goes for "fun and balance" over ***REALISM***. I don't believe I've ever blamed the recoil for losing a firefight.

A decision like random spread vs patterns would have been a huge pivot point considering the game was marketed towards positioning/traps/recon, and changing it two years on just seems like the move a dev would make to try to stop a playerbase from bleeding away or something.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

2/2, 5 traps, no laser on them, no longer instant-kill (40 damage apparently).

and apparently Blitz can now sprint while shield up.

https://i.imgur.com/DJLSrJb.gifv

:v:

:suicide:

Hard, please stop this. Fixed recoil is such a horrible idea.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Do not change the recoil patterns, the gently caress kind of crack are you people smoking up there at Ubi? You're just asking for everybody and their dog to run no recoil macros if you do this, especially if it's that predictable.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Penpal posted:

Kapkan should have his trap replaced with saran wrap on doors

And yeah those patterns are definitely wip. I can imagine the discussion was had internally with the director during the course of Siege's development, between recoil patterns and the randomized spread we have now, and I'd like to know why they went with what the current option.

Because I thought the entire branding of rainbow games were realism, and set patterns are definitely not. And I'm not someone who will cry if a game goes for "fun and balance" over ***REALISM***. I don't believe I've ever blamed the recoil for losing a firefight.

A decision like random spread vs patterns would have been a huge pivot point considering the game was marketed towards positioning/traps/recon, and changing it two years on just seems like the move a dev would make to try to stop a playerbase from bleeding away or something.
Well you kinda figured it all out there. Devs see the current shooter game landscape and are aiming for the competitive crowd.

Also realism is a really bad pitch for Siege. It's a modern shooter at best, and has always been.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

@realism: tbh Siege has always seemed pretty self-aware that the Clancy style of tacticool isn't nearly as serious as it seems at first

we've had some genuinely high tech stuff like the heartbeat sensor since as long as i can remember and there are even mini-cloaking devices.

on the opposite end you got stuff like mira's contraption which will make you :how: if you ever imagine actually deploying it on anything that isn't drywall

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Fix recoil is such a bad loving idea holy poo poo, why are they trying so hard to smother Siege with a pillow now?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Yo Hard i've got a video of 2 guys glitching into the floor on Bank, since i'm on console who do i report this to?

Wish i had gotten a shot of me TK'ing them when they tried to get into the spot on the last round but the stupid xbox DVR only got the aftermath when they quit right afterwards.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

this will be the reason it joins the ranks of the division and never gets played again. this is loving retarded.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
CS GO has fixed recoil and it is alive and kicking, fixed recoil won't be the reason Siege dies.

Not saying it is a good idea mind you.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I like how half of those are "will get you a head shot if you just spray long enough" and half are "weeee look at our circles! :yayclod:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Azran posted:

CS GO has fixed recoil and it is alive and kicking, fixed recoil won't be the reason Siege dies.

Yeah I think siege has a really "sticky" playerbase and I'm certain the # of console players dwarfs the PC, which is sitting at like 40-60k avg players. That's more than enough level 200+ players and whales to sustain some monetary momentum to weather through some bad design decisions.

40-60k is not including Uplay copies, but I doubt there is more than 5-15k people playing Uplay tbh.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Azran posted:

You're right they should just make this game CS GO.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
If four months without new content didn't kill this game, fixed recoil shouldn't :v:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Azran posted:

If four months without new content didn't kill this game, fixed recoil shouldn't :v:

Its almost like the core gameplay was good and shouldn't be hosed over.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

if one day another game lets me use my headphones to shotgun ppl through walls and then kill them with smoke grenade impact damage i might eventually consider quitting siege

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

You're right they should just make this game CS GO.

It hurt, the player base did drop for three months but it seems to have bounced back after a free weekend and new season.

I only started playing in Feb, but there was a 25% (!) drop in the player base last September, does anyone know what happened?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Penpal posted:

It hurt, the player base did drop for three months but it seems to have bounced back after a free weekend and new season.

I only started playing in Feb, but there was a 25% (!) drop in the player base last September, does anyone know what happened?

School?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Hahahahaha you are probably 100% right. I thought it might be a design change or bad year 2 start but that's most likely it.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Yo Hard i've got a video of 2 guys glitching into the floor on Bank, since i'm on console who do i report this to?

Wish i had gotten a shot of me TK'ing them when they tried to get into the spot on the last round but the stupid xbox DVR only got the aftermath when they quit right afterwards.

https://support.ubi.com/en-US/Cases/new?template=R6CheatReportPC

Don't let the url stop you just pick the console of your choice.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tumble posted:

It's funny how Ubisoft has Siege, which has some of the best gunplay in a modern shooter and then totally disregarded everything and made Wildlands an ugly mess of a game with horrible shooting mechanics

Nah that's just Ubisoft

Its actually very consistent for them (to be massively inconsistent)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The thing to understand about UBISoft is that they are probably the biggest game developer in the world. They have like 10 game studio's all working together on the same games at the same time, with like one or two that are the primary dev studios. The Assassin Creed games have had like 9 studios working together at once on a single game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

The thing to understand about UBISoft is that they are probably the biggest game developer in the world. They have like 10 game studio's all working together on the same games at the same time, with like one or two that are the primary dev studios. The Assassin Creed games have had like 9 studios working together at once on a single game.

And worse, the games are picked by execs and then all 9 studios have to do what they say.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I don't know enough about shooter mechanics to know if/why the recoil change will be bad, but I'm pretty against any major change to the shooting on such a fundamental level after nearly 2 years.

Penpal posted:

40-60k is not including Uplay copies, but I doubt there is more than 5-15k people playing Uplay tbh.

Uplay players aren't just people that elected to for some reason buy it directly through Uplay rather than Steam; it's everyone that got a boxed copy off Amazon, a retail store etc. With all the Steam sales I think it might have changed but iirc there were at one point more Uplay players than Steam players. More than half my group don't have Steam copies.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
im mad that wildlands has that sick blow-apart gun customisation thing and then rainbow six has like two options for each gun and you cant even paint the attachments

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
If those fixed recoil patterns make it into live I'm just uninstalling. It's so loving retarded.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
The new gadgets are well balanced, which is surprising. They are pretty low impact on the game as a whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9VXf9l_ocw

The guns aren't OP either, despite what people say about a middling SMG with 20 extra bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ela and Echo are pretty hard counters to Rook. Throwing a stun mine will also stop someone from defusing. Their ability to interrupt held actions is much bigger than their combat effectiveness.

• Locked thread