Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

KildarX posted:

What about creating some sort of, national policing organization, train them to police the country instead of having a bunch of different underfunded/well funded/undertrained people in fifty different states. Something to guard the citizens of the US, some sort of national...guard.. :thunk:
If you want to increase the quality of personnel in smaller departments, a national police is maybe the worst thing you could do.

FastestGunAlive posted:

It would be amusing to watch the circular logic and justification of conservatives over a national police force. Big government bad but safety from browns good but taxes bad but sheepdogs
Conservatives would be all over having John Ashcroft or Jefferson Beauregard Sessions being Police Chief of the United States. gently caress up California weed dispensaries and sanctuary cities eery day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

mlmp08 posted:

I'm not the guy who decided the standard for shooting someone to death is "they could do a thing physically maybe that could potentially result in a mortal wound." You did. That was my point, not that we should cut hands off. This is not hard.

I think the phrase "physically maybe could potentially" is sorta kinda maybe trivializing the lethality of a metal blade designed to cut flesh.

Good luck with the reform crusade. Completely reasonable cause.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Victor Vermis posted:

I think the phrase "physically maybe could potentially" is sorta kinda maybe trivializing the lethality of a metal blade designed to cut flesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evWpnnLFLmc

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Victor Vermis posted:

And I think equating an in-progress knife attack with a folded up multitool is kinda maybe exaggerating imminent threat.

Washington Post posted:

Investigators said a multipurpose tool that contained a knife was recovered from the scene. The statement did not say whether the knife was displayed but said no firearms were recovered.

An attorney for Schultz’s family said in a statement Monday night the knife remained in its holder and Scout’s arms were at the student’s side.

Have you even watched the video of the shooting yet?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Don't click this if you don't want to see a person killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_N5EYGM2hc&t=60s

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Dead Reckoning posted:

I honestly don't see what relevance this has, other than, "standardizing national requirements is a thing that is possible."

that is the relevance and was my point

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

at the date posted:

take it down a notch there buddy

no, gently caress cops

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The fact that the other three officers didn't fire really dosen't help his case.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Speaking of which, that's like the first time I've seen a police shooting where they just pop off a single, instead of 5+.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

not caring here posted:

Speaking of which, that's like the first time I've seen a police shooting where they just pop off a single, instead of 5+.

Most training is shoot center of visible mass until the threat is eliminated. Target drops right away in this case.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

not caring here posted:

Also speaking of single shots killing unarmed victims, what's the latest with that Australian lady?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Also speaking of single shots killing unarmed victims, what's the latest with that Australian lady?

Lady still dead, shooter still Not Our Kind of People.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Still dead.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

LingcodKilla posted:

Coast Guard but for the land. Hell just rename the Coast guard and give them 10 years to ramp up and take over all Le enforcement in the nation.

The coast guard already enforces maritime law in an area equivalent the lower 48 states and we have about the same number of personnel as the NYPD.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

no, gently caress cops

Notch level factor- intensifying.

not caring here posted:

So that's a plus, right?*

*edit- oh, right, the kid was white so the cop wasn't scared shitless for his life, only single pop scared

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Last article I see from the star tribune: http://m.startribune.com/freeman-answers-questions-in-damond-shooting/443607803/

All of their articles:
http://m.startribune.com/complete-coverage-of-justine-ruszczyk-damond-s-shooting/435415123/

They searched her house afterwards for some reason.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 20, 2017

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Victor Vermis posted:

I think the phrase "physically maybe could potentially" is sorta kinda maybe trivializing the lethality of a metal bullet designed to cut flesh.

So you're saying that to be safe, we need to indiscriminately kill armed police officers?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Did I stumble into the GBS cops thread or can we shut the gently caress up about this dead horse of national police reform?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Well I made a thread a couple of months ago with this very topic in the title to be a quarantine zone but someone changed the title of it so no one knows about it anymore.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

The coast guard already enforces maritime law in an area equivalent the lower 48 states and we have about the same number of personnel as the NYPD.

Hell, I did a gently caress ton of boardings and I never even heard of a weapon being discharged outside of drug interdiction guys in the gulf. And even then it was a third hand story.

To the larger discussion: why not make the FBI responsible for investigation of all law enforcement related death's?

Edit: I'm sure it would drop as a topic if the cops could find some way to stop killing people in situations that seem real questionable. At least for a little bit.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 20, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Did I stumble into the GBS cops thread or can we shut the gently caress up about this dead horse of national police reform?

You're right, we should all stop talking about this and just let the blood flow, because god forbid a thread move a little bit.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

that is the relevance and was my point
Right, but the fact that it's theoretically possible doesn't mean that it will necessarily solve the problem of "police shootin' folks what didn't need to get shot." IMO, any set of nation wide standards would have to be so vague and general as to be mostly indistinguishable from the way we do business now. The most likely result would be an unfunded mandate for cops to sit through annual sexual assault/trafficking in persons/use of force/etc. training. ADLS CBTs for everyone!

bird cooch posted:

To the larger discussion: why not make the FBI responsible for investigation of all law enforcement related death's?
-Manpower
-No value added
-Feds can already open an investigation & stomp all over your dick if they think you violated a suspect's civil rights.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 20, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

Right, but the fact that it's theoretically possible doesn't mean that it will necessarily solve the problem of "police shootin' folks what didn't need to get shot." IMO, any set of nation wide standards would have to be so vague and general as to be mostly indistinguishable from the way we do business now. The most likely result would be an unfunded mandate for cops to sit through annual sexual assault/trafficking in persons/use of force/etc. training. ADLS CBTs for everyone!

That is a problem. What is your solution?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

When you end up accidentally killing more unarmed civilians than the US military, you know you're doing something wrong.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bored As gently caress posted:

Yes clearly it's just as simple as that. No person wanting to commit suicide by cop has ever hurt a cop before, and he couldn't have a gun or different knife hidden on him.

Calmly walking up and putting hands on him is retarded. They should have tased him. If they didn't have tasers, they could have kept backing up until someone could get behind him and tackle him, but if they had to use deadly force (If he suddenly charged with the knife, pulled out a gun) that person would be in the line of fire, so that's probably why they didn't do that. They had their weapons drawn because he wasn't listening to verbal commands and was continuing to approach them. For all they knew, he could have a knife anywhere, and could decide to pull it out and charge them at any time during the confrontation.

They did the best they could in a lovely situation. They're not superhuman. They are going through a body alarm reaction, and they may be experiencing perceptual distortions (tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, etc) due to the adrenaline and other chemicals being dumped into their system. The guy turned out to not have a big gently caress off knife on him, but he easily could have and hindsight is 20/20. They didn't know that at the time. All they knew was the guy was armed with at least one knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od5W5evJkJU&t=15s

Yeah, US police wouldn't be able to handle something like this, no way in hell. They'd just ice the dude and be done with it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

orange juche posted:

Yeah, US police wouldn't be able to handle something like this, no way in hell. They'd just ice the dude and be done with it.

I've been thinking of that video for a while. Saw it years ago and haven't been able to find it again until now.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

psydude posted:

When you end up accidentally killing more unarmed civilians than the US military, you know you're doing something wrong.

What's it mean when the cops end up taking more stuff than the robbers nationwide?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

The police are currently the defenders of capital. They will need to be replace with men and women dedicated to the ideals of the proletarian revolutionary vanguard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POH14-HMGFc

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

orange juche posted:

US police handle poo poo like this all the time without shooting but it never makes the papers.

Hell I can think of three incidents like this in my precinct in the last few months.

poo poo, we lock people up who are carrying guns without shooting anyone on an almost daily basis.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Smiling Jack posted:

Most training is shoot center of visible mass until the threat is eliminated. Target drops right away in this case.

Hm yes this aligns with what we usually see

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Smiling Jack posted:

US police handle poo poo like this all the time without shooting but it never makes the papers.

Hell I can think of three incidents like this in my precinct in the last few months.

poo poo, we lock people up who are carrying guns without shooting anyone on an almost daily basis.

I know. Which is why when officer McDumbfuck screws up, he should either be fired or in prison.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

-Manpower
-No value added
-Feds can already open an investigation & stomp all over your dick if they think you violated a suspect's civil rights.

As a requirement. The public is obviously unhappy with the self-auditing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Mr. Mambold posted:

Notch level factor- intensifying.

My personal feelings aside, I've witnessed professionally a DA/PD covering up a nearly 300k embezzlement by an officer's son from a client of mine. Getting that case to go anywhere took a 'courtesy call' from the local FBI SAC.

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 20, 2017

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

This is actually an interesting article

http://www.copinthehood.com/2016/09/theyre-just-sooner-to-shoot-in-oklahoma.html?m=1

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

The most interesting part is that he clearly cares and spent a lot of time, but jesus christ learn how to lay out a thesis and argument and get to a point and not just lay out a stat soup then pronounce something at the end. Dude may well be super smart and on to something, but communication skills are important. I know it's a blog post and not a journal, but ugh, that whole thing reads like he was maybe kinda onto something, but couldn't keep the threads together.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

That is a problem. What is your solution?
To the "police shootin' folks what didn't need to get shot" part, or the "any national set of standards would be too general to be useful" part?

psydude posted:

Police aren't the military. Like, I don't think you want the LAPD doing high risk warrant service by leveling the suspect's building with an air strike.

orange juche posted:

TBH, I think they were lucky that guy wasn't actually keen on loving them up. Because it can go like this too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75RTkGbiJpk&t=400s
:nws:/:nms: for folks getting stabbed/shot to death

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

To the "police shootin' folks what didn't need to get shot" part,

I guess that one. I dunno. I'm just not a fan of the "can't can't can't improve" crowd who doesn't bring solutions. Call it my military indoctrination brain-damage.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don't think anything will improve very much if you don't increase funding. Which means increased taxes.

If presidents can run on increasing military spending I don't know why politicians can't run on increasing police spending.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Or, there's another option:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

mlmp08 posted:

The most interesting part is that he clearly cares and spent a lot of time, but jesus christ learn how to lay out a thesis and argument and get to a point and not just lay out a stat soup then pronounce something at the end. Dude may well be super smart and on to something, but communication skills are important. I know it's a blog post and not a journal, but ugh, that whole thing reads like he was maybe kinda onto something, but couldn't keep the threads together.

He's actually a professor but yeah he gets a bit sloppy on his blog.

• Locked thread