Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Herr Tog posted:

I call dibs and I hope things go smoothly

Both missions are spoken for in terms of commentators, I just need to arrange things with the lucky people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Psion posted:

Also, for comparison, the Spruce Goose wingspan was 320 feet. The Aigaion's span is over 3000. I'm just saying, you can't just handwave off scale issues like that and say "it's not insurmountable" when the sum total of a hundred years of aviation progress hasn't produced anything flying that's even one percent of the mass of an all-up aircraft carrier and a tenth of the wingspan. Much less built engines that could power the drat thing.

Well, handwaving, yes, obviously, I'm not an engineer.

My point was that the Spruce Goose was more than 60 years ago, right? Howard Hughes did with wood what we do now with aluminum alloys, and it flew for a bit.

I don't think that making something like the Aigaion (so many vowels!) isn't impossible in the near future using present technology, but it is impractical. You could build a giant flying carrier, but why would you? You'd need a massive runway to get it off the ground (you could make it a seaplane, but would it be able to take off on anything but a perfectly placid surface?), it'd be a big expensive target (much as aircraft carriers are in real life), it'd be a pain getting crew aboard and off (do you land the thing? Do you make regular flights off and on using helos or some other aircraft?)...

And that's not taking into account how much it'd cost to make the blessed thing.

The first prototype would be a hot mess, no doubt. There's only so much you can figure out using computer simulations. I agree with you, that scaling something up isn't simple, there's a lot of complications that can come up. And fixing those would take time and money. I don't see anyone in the real world who'd be willing to invest in something like this. If I, with my amateur brain, can see the flaws in having a flying aircraft carrier, I'm sure everyone could.

So, um... yeah. Not "impossible", but rather "implausible". Or preferably, "impractical".

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ahhhhh go danshe wif yur anvels ya drat communists *hic*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm grateful for this thread existing because I know next to nothing about planes. I did know about that ridiculous ice/wood chip boat that was floated (lol) as a proposed warship. It worked and was excellent at taking hits, but the effort to produce and carry all the ice needed to build it meant that the idea never panned out. But I can still dream that somehow Strangereal engineers pulled it off...

Also, someone please post the Ace Combat Zero concept art of Pixie wearing an ISAF hoodie? I'd gladly dance with the angels for that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

EagerSleeper posted:

Also, someone please post the Ace Combat Zero concept art of Pixie wearing an ISAF hoodie? I'd gladly dance with the angels for that.

E: higher res image

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 19, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
"May you rest...........in quiet slumber."

CSI: Miami this ain't. Go dance with the angels, Shamrock.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Mods can't keep up with my Cherubic Charleston or my Seraphim Salsa.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I think the real feat of Belkan engineering is how it's become so easy to fit upwards of 150 missiles and 32 unguided bombs on a single F-16.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

nine-gear crow posted:

E: higher res image

I just don't get loss edits anymore...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Crazy Achmed posted:

I think the real feat of Belkan engineering is how it's become so easy to fit upwards of 150 missiles and 32 unguided bombs on a single F-16.

Nah, that kind of engineering - along with engines that can be set to maximum afterburner indefinitely - is universal. Every faction in Strangereal has figured those two out. Belka just saw that and said "hold my beer" and raised the stakes.

painedforever posted:

Well, handwaving, yes, obviously, I'm not an engineer.

My point was that the Spruce Goose was more than 60 years ago, right? Howard Hughes did with wood what we do now with aluminum alloys, and it flew for a bit.

So, um... yeah. Not "impossible", but rather "implausible". Or preferably, "impractical".

Don't just cherrypick the Spruce Goose, please. None of the other planes I mentioned were made of plywood 60 years ago. When I said the sum of a century of aviation, I meant that literally.

It is not possible to build and fly the Aigaion using current or even near-future technology. I'm sure someone could build a shell the correct size (963m x 433m x 102m) but if you even thought about making it flyable instead of just an enormous manta-ray shaped sculpture, it would snap in half under its own weight (because of how airplanes are constructed vs a building or statute or whatever) and there are no engines in the world which could fly the loving thing.

Impossible is the correct word.

if it were really that easy to make flying aircraft carriers I absolutely and completely loving guarantee you some general over in the USAF would've floated a proposal already and we'd have three under construction in the home state of whatever senator was key to passing the bill. And if not the Air Force, an admiral in the USN would have made the same proposal to have them built at Newport News or something. It's just not possible.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 19, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Wait, are people attempting to argue that the Aigaion is anything but laughably cartoonish and impossible to fly without magical alien technology?

Because, uh, it is laughably cartoonish and impossible to fly without magical alien technology.

If you believe otherwise, consider a dance with the angels.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
ok, but consider that in a world where it's possible to strap like 300 missiles to an airplane on lower difficulties, it might be possible to make the aigaion fly

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
If they didn't have to have it use conventional fuel for the whole idea of refueling tankers giving you an opening to attack it, it's conceivable as a nuclear powered ramjet device that would never need to land and could be built ridiculously large to get around the usual weight problem of fuel. You'd need equally crazy ideas to get it into the air in the first place, but once it's up there it could kinda just go forever.

As ever, real life's crazy military ideas manages to out think Strangereal's crazy military experiments.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

ok, but consider that in a world where it's possible to strap like 300 missiles to an airplane on lower difficulties, it might be possible to make the aigaion fly

Psycho Landlord posted:

magical alien technology.

Psycho Landlord posted:

dance with the angels.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Psion posted:

if it were really that easy to make flying aircraft carriers I absolutely and completely loving guarantee you some general over in the USAF would've floated a proposal already and we'd have three under construction in the home state of whatever senator was key to passing the bill. And if not the Air Force, an admiral in the USN would have made the same proposal to have them built at Newport News or something. It's just not possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Akron_%28ZRS-4%29

Just because it's a stupid as gently caress idea didn't mean we didn't build a couple.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Reiterpallasch posted:

well of course it works in Strangereal, that's fine and dandy. Best superweapon fight in the series. But that's not the discussion at hand.

every single step of the aigaion is implausible to impossible otherwise. It just is, and that's okay. Video games are meant to be fun and Aigaion delivers, and we should leave it at that.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Tunicate posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Akron_%28ZRS-4%29

Just because it's a stupid as gently caress idea didn't mean we didn't build a couple.

i'm aware of the Akron, yes. Captive carry was also the rationale behind, say, the XF-85 Goblin and a whole lot of failed projects like FICON (Tip Tow, Tom Tom, etc, etc) ... But I think it's also pretty clear that a) those worked like poo poo if at all and b) they aren't the same as hauling a Nimitz-class carrier around on wings, which is what the Aigaion's approximate size suggests.

as I've been saying this entire drat time, scale matters.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

But not in Strangereal therefore your argument about the real world doesn't matter or something I dunno

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Well, I'll be glad to get to mission 12 so we can post about other things. Namely, how much Shamrock is loving terrible! I had this whole thing ready to go but y'know, spoilers. It's a weird thing - Shamrock's an idiot, yes, but the plot takes this weird detour for no reason? I've been trying to figure out why they did it and nothing. So it'll be interesting to see anyone else's theories on that.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Psion posted:

Shamrock's an idiot, yes, but the plot takes this weird detour for no reason?

Psion posted:

Shamrock's an idiot

Hey Psion I found the reason.

More seriously, I think I remember reading somewhere that the game was supposed to have Shamrock steadily going more and more ahab about the Strigons because he's targeted them personally as the reason he couldn't save his family in Gracemeria, but it got lost in translation/editing or something like that. Not sure how true it is, but it holds up given a conversation with him near endgame. The issue is it comes completely out of nowhere in this instance and also that he is an idiot.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
that would've been way better than what we actually got, though i suppose that's an underground bar

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Psycho Landlord posted:

More seriously

Okay, that makes a lot of sense if true. As is, he just ... well, we'll see what happens but it's out of left field, even for Shamrock. That context would've been valuable.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Psycho Landlord posted:

Hey Psion I found the reason.

More seriously, I think I remember reading somewhere that the game was supposed to have Shamrock steadily going more and more ahab about the Strigons because he's targeted them personally as the reason he couldn't save his family in Gracemeria, but it got lost in translation/editing or something like that. Not sure how true it is, but it holds up given a conversation with him near endgame. The issue is it comes completely out of nowhere in this instance and also that he is an idiot.

Honestly that makes a hell of a lot of sense considering the dipshit things Shamrock does late-game.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
Oh hey, probation's over. Time to dance with the angels again.

I love this thread. I keep learning stuff about things that aren't video games, and that's the best kind of thread to be in. Thanks for teaching me about all the stupid aviation crap you guys know of.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Sword Hunter Gil posted:

Oh hey, probation's over. Time to dance with the angels again.

I love this thread. I keep learning stuff about things that aren't video games, and that's the best kind of thread to be in. Thanks for teaching me about all the stupid aviation crap you guys know of.

Seconded. This has been very informative. And the six-hour probation stints mean I'm actually gonna read all the posts.

Speaking of: Go dance with the angels.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The angels are tired, my friends.

They're so very tired.

They can't dance anymore.:corsair:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

The angels are tired, my friends.

They're so very tired.

They can't dance anymore.:corsair:

Then they ain't no friends of mine.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

So, we get some iron shoes, heat them on the fire, and MAKE THEM DANCE!

VhenRa
Aug 1, 2016

Psion posted:

e: well, them and SHIELD. who are apparently evil or were fronted by an evil org or something I don't follow comics anymore. Hydra is Belka?

Reminds me of an image I once found.

Linked because too big

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Just as a head's up, I've been sitting on some footage for half a year now.

I'm finally doing something with it again.

Soon.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sword Hunter Gil posted:

This is really some of the best parts. also seeing this pretty game

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Ragno Fortress

Mission 10: Operation Into The Pass – March 6th, 2016
Missed Operations #7

Overview: With the Aigaion destroyed, the Estovakians have withdrawn across most of western and central Anea. The bulk of the enemy forces are now concentrated around Ragno Fortress in the badlands northwest of Gracemeria. The old Yuktobanian-inspired fortress is the last major line of defense for the enemy before Gracemeria. If Rango can be retaken, Emmerian command believes the military will be able to liberate the capital by the end of the month.

Guest Commentator: Returning again for this mission is the Wizard of Clancy, Cooked Auto, who also joins the venerable “has appeared in every Ace Combat LP so far” club.

TOSCHA
Callsign(s): Strigon 12
Sex: Male
Nationality: Estovakia
Signature Plane: Su-33 Flanker-D
Voice Actor: Yuri Lowenthal

Toscha is what happens when you slam PJ Beckett and Hans Grimm together, and then have Pixy do his voiceover work.

Toscha Mijsak is the lowest low man on Strigon Team’s roster, yet remains one of its few surviving original members either by skill, luck, or some combination of the two. Despite a slate of new pilots rotating into Strigon to cover the losses incurred during the Emmerian counter strike and eastward push back toward Gracemeria, Toscha remains Strigon 12 (his original number on the squadron), primarily out of superstition. Raised in a traditional Estovakian home, his conservative mother instilled many “old world” beliefs in him that military life hasn’t quite shaken loose yet.

Much like Pasternak, Toscha was a student of Victor Voychek before Voychek’s forced retirement into ground duty. As such, he considers his new commander Pasternak more of a brotherly figure in his life than a father figure like he did Voychek. When Voycheck was shot down over Gracemeria by Garuda 1, it was Toscha who called in the EAF rescue chopper to recover him from the field outside of Gracemeria AFB he landed in. His loyalty to the Federal Republic and to Strigon Team is valued by both Voychek and Pasternak, and their praise of his skills is universal and unanimous.

When the Estovakian Civil War broke out in 2007 after a half decade of the nation smoldering and stewing in Ulysses’s ruins, Toscha was still in high school at the time, dropping out just before graduation to join the Eastern Faction’s air forces. After completing his flight training qualifications, he was assigned to Voychek’s Strigon Team as a replacement pilot, or rather as cannon fodder, as Dvornik’s air commanders believed he wouldn’t survive very long, given the high risk missions Voychek often flew.

And yet he surprised them all in time. While timid and unassuming on land, Toscha possesses a sharp mind, quick reflexes, and decisive judgment, all of which make him a vital component of Strigon Team. The fact that he crossed paths with Talisman and lived is testament enough to that, given how Strigons have been popping like party balloons from Voychek on down every time Garuda Team shows up in a combat zone.

Throughout his career, his high school sweetheart has remained close to his heart, and while they may have lost track of one another since the invasion of Gracemeria, he promised before he left Pythiopolis that he would make an honest woman out of her once he returned home from the war.

Also yeah Toscha wants to gently caress his plane.

RAGNO FORTRESS

Constructed in the early 90s in the model of the modernized Yuktobanian inland fortresses like Cruik Fortress, the Ragno Fortress complex is the largest such fortified locale on mainland Anea. Named after the Old Emmerian word for “spider,” the complex resembles a massive arachnid when viewed from above with its outrigging gun towers, doubly so when its underground components are factored in.

Built along the Kernos River, the hydro electric dam that supplies power to the fortress also serves as the endpoint for the inland river shipping route up the Kernos from the Fuscum Sea. The Estovakians are currently ferrying supplies from Osean and Usean defense firms and other companies upriver to Ragno using container ships from several state-owned shipping lines.

As with other fortresses of its caliber, the majority of Ragno’s truly vital components are hidden underground beneath the bedrock of Grageo Canyon itself and connected via a network of service tunnels. The wartime command center of Ragno Fortress is capable of withstanding a direct nuclear strike and was used as a temporary evacuation shelter for refugees as Ulysses 1994XF04 rained down on the planet 17 years ago.

With the fortress now back under Emmerian control, the military now has a fortified staging area to liberate and hold the eastern quarter of the country. Emmerian command in San Loma is now at long last finalizing their plans for the inevitable liberation of Gracemeria.

While not seen in the video itself, if you were to get close enough to the container ships parked at the docks along the river on the canyon floor on the way to the dam, you’ll see they’re loaded with containers from both General Resource LTD and North Osea Gründer Industries. This confirms that as of at least 2016, General Resource (seen in Ace Combat 3: Electrophere’s future timeline of the 2030s) exists in Strangereal, and that Gründer is also still around and still in business. It also confirms that both defense contractors are outfitting the Estovakians with military hardware, making this the third straight war that Gründer has actively meddled in for fun and profit. Fourth, if you include the Belkan War and their time as the South Belka Munitions Factory. Meanwhile, GR’s little blip cameo makes this one of the few times Electrosphere is acknowledged as even partially existing within the broader Strangereal canon.

And yes, for the curious, “ragno” is Italian for “spider,” continuing the game’s trend of equating Emmeria with Italy in terms of its broader cultural trappings.

THE BECHDEL TEST

Again, because we’ve kind of run out of stuff to talk about here in the dry mid-game desert of Fires of Liberation, let’s learn about the Bechdel Test! :eng101:

Pronounced “Beck-dal” and also known as the Bechdel–Wallace Test, the Bechdel Test is a semi-serious narrative litmus test designed to highlight gender inequality in fiction created by American cartoonist Alison Bechdel (author of the comic Dykes to Watch Out For) and her friend Liz Wallace.

The parameters of the Bechdel Test are as follows:

1. Are there at least two female characters in a story?
  2. Do they have names?
  3. Do they speak to one another at least once?
  4. ...About something other than a man?

If you can answer Yes to all four of those questions, then congratulations, you have passed the Bechdel Test and the barest minimum imaginable for female representation in fiction.

For example: Final Fantasy XV passes the Bechdel Test. Sharknado 2 passes the Bechdel Test. loving 2 Girls, 1 Cup passes the Bechdel Test! Yet Citizen Kane fails the Bechdel Test. Even Empire Strikes Back, the most perfect movie ever made, fails the Bechdel Test.

It’s not a perfect metric nor the sole meter you should judge a story’s quality by, but it certainly is a handy critical analysis tool and conversation starter.

As I joke in the video Ace Combat 6 is only the second Ace Combat game in the franchise so far to pass the Bechdel Test. Ace Combat 5 passes it by a nose by having Nagase and The Major briefly converse over the radio in Heartbreak One.

Also I was wrong with my comment at the end of the mission; 6 passes the Bechdel Test in its opening cutscene when Melissa says goodbye to Matilda and Matilda kicks the Probationpocalypse with her dumbfuckery. Funnily enough though, I can’t recall Melissa and Ludmila ever actually saying anything to one another in the story cutscenes. They each talk to other people, and Melissa never shuts up with her monologue to the audience, but yeah they never say one word to each other that’s at least audible to the audience.

Feel free to come back and check this once we’re done with the game though…

Oblako
    Jakov Vabec
    35, Male, Estovakia
  • Plane: Mirage 2000-5
  • Mission 10
  • Spawn conditions: Appears above Ragno Fortress with the second wave of enemies after the mission update.

quote:

Estovakian Central Forces Precinct Air Force
98th Aviation Regiment, 76th Tactical Fighter Squadron Leader

A member of the Lyes United Front, Jakov Vabec flew on the front lines against the Eastern Faction until the very end of the civil war. During the Ragno defensive operation, his positioning as a sacrificial pawn enraged him to such an extent that despite engaging the Garuda Team, he continued to broadcast a torrent of criticism against Estovakia's high command. After being shot down, he was rescued by allied Estovakian forces, perhaps to his dismay. He was later court-martialed and found guilty of disobeying a direct order, and making slanderous proclamations against a former head of state, but was released from prison at the end of the war.

Fun fact: Vabec is one of only two non-story Named Aces who are confirmed to survive the events of Ace Combat 6 in their assault records :mil101:

Tracks featured in Mission 10:

DISC 2

One of the container ships in Mission 10 with General Resource and Gründer Industries containers onboard:

As of the posting of this update, five missions out from the end of the game now, there have been a total of 208 probations handed out in this thread alone. Well done, you insane morons.

Psycho Landlord – 25
    Jobbo_Fett – 24
    Lazy Bear – 18
    Shinjobi – 17
    Sword Hunter Gil – 10
    Tythas – 7
    Akujiki – 7
    EagerSleeper – 6
    Materant – 5
    Kal-L – 4
    Pythonicus – 4
    painedforever – 4
    Back Hack – 3
    KDavisJr – 3
    GhostStalker – 3
    Paingod556 – 3
    HereticMIND – 3
    Minrad – 3
    LEGO Genetics – 3
    Rorahusky – 3
    Blind Sally – 2
    Strayed – 2
    LostCosmonaut – 2
    Captain Hygiene – 2
    Triggerhappypilot – 2
    TyrantSabre – 2
    nine-gear crow – 2
    Calax – 2
    buglord – 2
    Roobanguy – 2
    Thefluffy – 2
    AirborneNinja – 2
    Dreamsicle – 2
    KnoxZone – 2
    PBJ – 2
    M_Gargantua – 2
    Tunicate – 2
    Atomikus – 1
    Son Ryo – 1
    NHO – 1
    XavierGenisi – 1
    IronSaber – 1
    OddHaberdasher – 1
    NobleSixFour – 1
    Phy – 1
    OutofSight – 1
    Icedude – 1
    MrLonghair – 1
    Mraagvpeine – 1
    Argas – 1
    Herr Tog – 1
    loving love Fiona Apple – 1
    Condoleezza Nice! – 1
    Nostalgia4Infinity – 1
    Yvonmukluk – 1

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 17, 2023

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Woo, second place! Gunnin' for you next, Jobbo! I'm gonna out-dance you and all the angels!

(This is what happens when you have no life.)

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Oh, Toscha. You naive little man.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Love me a good tunnel to fly through, but After Burner Climax has the best of them. Bonus content?

e: Japan and the US are yin and yang when it comes to source code, Sega erased on purpose to free up space on tape backups and drives, while Bethesda still uses bits of code from the 90's in their walking sims.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 20, 2017

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

I nearly choked on a bagel when Toscha started talking about how charming his captain is. He seems like he wants to gently caress his plane and Captain Daddy :V

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
Man, I am just way behind with my angel-dancing. I need to stop stalling and get some lift.

EDIT: Before I get probated, I'm actually curious. You pull off a LOT of shots that seem like they shouldn't hit, particularly from perpendicular approach angles. What's the secret to doing that? Is it just a matter of getting good, or is there something I'm not quite understanding about the way missiles work? I feel like I tried a lot of shots like that in Ace Combat Zero and they'd wind up just going off into the wild blue yonder.

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

That portrait of Toscha is... unfortunate.

Sword Hunter Gil posted:

EDIT: Before I get probated, I'm actually curious. You pull off a LOT of shots that seem like they shouldn't hit, particularly from perpendicular approach angles. What's the secret to doing that? Is it just a matter of getting good, or is there something I'm not quite understanding about the way missiles work? I feel like I tried a lot of shots like that in Ace Combat Zero and they'd wind up just going off into the wild blue yonder.

It's because the games appreciate all the hard work that crow has done showcasing Strangereal and are throwing him a bone.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

I realize this is an easy mistake to make but it feels weird to see in a modern game on a major console.

Also I bet someone's getting payed big bucks to rebuild all the infrastructure you blow up. Military-Industrial Complex and all that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Grizzwold posted:

Also I bet someone's getting payed big bucks to rebuild all the infrastructure you blow up. Military-Industrial Complex and all that. :v:

Cipher's outsourcing.