Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Considering changing my title in memoriam once rotation hits

damnatio memoriae to yog point oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

:perfect:

Oh man, looking at this and TD, and Steve + Doppleganger + Pheremones is hilarious. Throw on a Bank Job or two and baby you got a stew going.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I think FFG must be reading my emails because below is a "Top 20 cards I’ll miss post-rotation" that I sent to friends a full year ago, with asterisks next to every card that has been saved. A full 14/20 of the cards have been saved from rotation, and all of the top nine! Good news for me.

* 01) Caduceus
* 02) Chaos Theory
* 03) Indexing
* 04) Project Vitruvius
* 05) Ronin
* 06) Dedicated Response Team
* 07) Darwin
* 08) Yagura
* 09) Test Run
10) Eli 1.0
11) Fetal AI
* 12) Trick of Light
* 13) Bernice Mai
* 14) Project Atlas
15) Janus 1.0
* 16) Braintrust
17) Shinobi
* 18) Hive
19) Deep Thought
20) Subliminal Messaging

AgentF fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 13, 2017

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I thought everyone agreed Brain Trust was the worst 3/2 by miles, why the love?

E: oh because it's still a 3/2

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 13, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

General Battuta posted:

I thought everyone agreed Brain Trust was the worst 3/2 by miles, why the love?

E: oh because it's still a 3/2

Yeah I'm kind of mad because if it rotated they could give Jinteki a good 3/2

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

AgentF posted:

I think FFG must be reading my emails because below is a "Top 20 cards I’ll miss post-rotation" that I sent to friends a full year ago, with asterisks next to every card that has been saved. A full 14/20 of the cards have been saved from rotation, and all of the top nine! Good news for
* 02) Chaos Theory

CT not #1, shameful list.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Kaethela posted:

CT not #1, shameful list.

Chaos Theory herself would put Dinosaurus at #1.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Chaos Theory herself would put Dinosaurus at #1.

This is a good point and the only reason CT at #2 would be acceptable. :colbert:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I'm going to miss Fetal for sure, but there were a lot of good salvages. I would just like to see NBN not be an arguable best corp for a while. And I'd like to see Weyland actually be good at killing runner again.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I think you're meant to deal meat damage in little chip-damage amounts, and snipe cards the runner needs later and/or force them to hold back cards they need to protect them. CS2 Weyland plays almost like a rigshooter deck.

With Ronin and Junebug, it looks like Net damage is supposed to be the "big gulps of damage" flatline threat.

From the last page, but I wonder if they're just trying to have damage in general be chip instead of big burst. It's more manageable and interactive to have to deal with lots of small damage over time because you need to constantly manage it and worry about it. It also has a better chance of avoiding the problem new players run into of "Oh, you only have 4 cards in your hand and fewer credits than I do? I win then" after not taking any damage the whole game. If a player is constantly getting pegged with small amounts of damage, then even new players will understand that having a small hand is dangerous, and then they get the interesting decision of trying to balance game tempo with risking a flatline.

Of course, they recently printed BOOM, so who the hell knows.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Karnegal posted:

I'm going to miss Fetal for sure, but there were a lot of good salvages. I would just like to see NBN not be an arguable best corp for a while. And I'd like to see Weyland actually be good at killing runner again.

In a similar vein, I'd like to see Anarch not the de facto best runner faction for once.

e:

CodfishCartographer posted:

From the last page, but I wonder if they're just trying to have damage in general be chip instead of big burst. It's more manageable and interactive to have to deal with lots of small damage over time because you need to constantly manage it and worry about it. It also has a better chance of avoiding the problem new players run into of "Oh, you only have 4 cards in your hand and fewer credits than I do? I win then" after not taking any damage the whole game. If a player is constantly getting pegged with small amounts of damage, then even new players will understand that having a small hand is dangerous, and then they get the interesting decision of trying to balance game tempo with risking a flatline.

Of course, they recently printed BOOM, so who the hell knows.

To be fair, we are losing Breaking News, which means 24/7 BOOM! isn't a thing anymore. Getting two tags to stick will be a lot harder than it used to be.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm excited to see Reina's new art.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Kaethela posted:

In a similar vein, I'd like to see Anarch not the de facto best runner faction for once.

Shaper might finally be the best faction for the first time in Netrunner history, which is sort of cool.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Prepaid Kate had a pretty good run from Lunar to late SanSan, no?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I thought Anarch was pretty weak up until around Order and Chaos where they went crazy. I remember the theme was basically you could get their best cards for little influence into other faction decks.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hannibal Rex posted:

Prepaid Kate had a pretty good run from Lunar to late SanSan, no?

Prepaid Kate was basically The Best Runner until the MWL hit and really kneecapped her, if I remember right. Andromeda was the only other one that came close.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Prepaid's dominance roughly coincided with Anarch becoming good IIRC

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

PPK was very good and popular, but I'm not sure it was ever the actual best deck. Even if it was, there were always very close contenders -- people seem to forget how dominant criminal, and especially andysucker, was.

In any case, it seems like there might be a decent gap between core 2 shaper and the rest of the field. Shaper gets the best wincons (DDM and indexing, the latter actually getting better with jhow leaving) and two decks that were already quite good (Hayley lock and smoke) lost almost nothing, while pretty much every other runner lost major pieces.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 13, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

My impression was that shaper was always pretty solid tier 2, with anarchs trading top dog with criminal sometime between order and chaos and data and destiny?

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

Anarch was hot, dirty garbage up until Faust came out and started a trend of shoveling ludicrously overpowered cards into the faction.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
At some point in Anarch's dominance, Criminal kind of slipped into garbage territory for a while, too. I think around SanSan/Mumbad? They eventually scraped their way back, but there was almost never any reason to play Crim, since Anarch could pressure economy harder without needing to import all their breakers + R&D pressure.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah criminal fell off when the first MWL hit. Losing 3 influence to desperado and then having limited tools to deal with IG and caprice/ash meant that they couldn't deal with most corps that weren't weyland. Once Temujin hit, they started gaining traction, and after aaron marron and TD they actually had some good tools. Sadly the game was also dominated by Sifr bullshit and people just started leaving.

That being said, criminal with a desperado and a sec testing was second only to Whizzard for dealing with CTM bullshit during it's height.

But crims didn't start seeing any real gains until MWL2.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Andy was utterly dominating for a long time and only started to lose some steam when Lotus Field made Yog non-viable as your only code gate solution. Crim only fell behind when they couldn't utilize Clot. Anarch lacked the basic card draw/tutoring to make use of all their power cards until IHW, but then they took off like a rocket during SanSan. PPK was probably the strongest after Clot, before Faust and pre-errata Pavilion.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 13, 2017

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Yeah Shaper had a time at top, and they've never been garbage tier, which is big.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm fairly certain they were the worst runner faction before C&C, but I didn't play that early.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Yithian posted:

Anarch was hot, dirty garbage up until Faust came out and started a trend of shoveling ludicrously overpowered cards into the faction.

A part of me will miss Virus Solitaire.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any other good teaching decks besides these from TheBigBoy? Also curious if anyone has taken what will be the new core set starter decks for a spin yet.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Are there any other good teaching decks besides these from TheBigBoy? Also curious if anyone has taken what will be the new core set starter decks for a spin yet.

These ones are pretty good. A friend put them together solely from Core 2 cards for players new to the game. The deck description include thoughts about the deck includes as well as potential good matchups to run.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kaethela posted:

These ones are pretty good. A friend put them together solely from Core 2 cards for players new to the game. The deck description include thoughts about the deck includes as well as potential good matchups to run.

Thanks! I'll take those for a spin. I'm getting the itch to play again and thought I'd put together something to try and get some friends on board.

I'm mostly just playing with my older collection (up through Order and Chaos), but I'm kind of thinking of grabbing a few more packs or at least the deluxes I'm missing (Data and Destiny/Terminal Directive). I'm curious though, if I don't really have any interest in NBN or the mini-factions, would I be okay just skipping D&D? And would it be much of an issue if I just skipped the SanSan/Mumbad/Flashpoint cycles? I normally want to go in order but I like the theme of Red Sands and want to try my hand at janky casual Jemison decks.

Also, was looking around and came across this, which seems like they're possibly getting rid of MWL and just straight up banning and restricting cards.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Also, was looking around and came across this, which seems like they're possibly getting rid of MWL and just straight up banning and restricting cards.

Given the source, this is probably legit. This is the same guy that also leaked (among other things) the MWL tier system. Friends being banned is probably the best thing about that list, holy poo poo.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'll put it in an easier to read format, but actually this has me pretty excited if they're willing to shake things up this much.

quote:

With a new lead designer, who's also a completely new figure in the company, the hierachy within changes a bit, which basically means that higher-up FFG empoyees get to do a bit more poo poo, so the MWL is dead.
It's gone.
We're going straight into Game of Thrones-style banned and restriction. I dunno if they'll call this NAPD KILL LIST or some fancy poo poo, maybe just banned and restricted, who the gently caress knows.
Restricted means you can only choose 1 card off of the list (per side), but you get to play the whole playset, e.g. you can play 3 Magnum Opus but then no Levy or Employee Strike or Clone Chip.
Also Gang Sign is on the list, which is a Gang Sign of the Times I guess, kudos to you crazy brits, you loving did it, you absolute mad lads Gang Sign got the hammer. Ps. Alex White is the most handsome Netrunner player.
Alright onto the good stuff:

BANNED (Straight banned put that poo poo in one of your spare Kit deckboxes-tier):
Aaron Marrón
Bloo Moose
Faust
Rumor Mill
Sifr
Temüjin Contract
Salvaged Vanadis Armory
(lol 9 Runner cards in Crimson Dust, 2 of them already banned a month later)

Clone Suffrage Movement
Friends in High Places
Mumbad City Hall
Sensie Actors Union

RESTRICTED (Choose one then cry during deckbuilding because you're missing all the others-tier):
Aesop's Pawnshop
Clone Chip
Employee Strike
Film Critic
Gang Sign
Inversificator
Levy AR Lab Access
Magnum Opus

Bio-Ethics Association
Estelle Moon
Fairchild 3.0
Global Food Initiative
Hunter Seeker
Mumba Temple
Museum of History
Obokata Protocol

With this, rotation and Revised Core Set I gotta say the meta is more interesting than ever and I'm more interested in Netrunner than I've been in two years, but I'd be more interested if FFG upped their business practices and didn't ignore the playerbase for 4 months, just to name one example.

Also if any FFG folks or scoop troops or who knows what wanna get in touch e-mails still spoilerken@hotmail.com.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Bit of interesting insight from Damon, via Facebook:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sorry, I fell off the side of the internet for a few weeks but

Midjack posted:

Core 2 coincident with rotation will be nice.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

If that banned list is true, crim is going to be hurting a lot. Their money will be a lot more limited without desperado, temujin and siphon and bloo moose at their disposal. With gang sign restricted, it's even going to be difficult to fisk lock a corp.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Banning film critic makes so many canards playable.

It probably doesn't make them GOOD, but I'll at least get to have fun with them.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I don't believe that leak because nobody even plays Magnum Opus anymore, why would it need to go on a "pick 1 from these" list. EmpStrike getting put there with Film Critic makes me happy, though.

Straight-up banning Bloo Moose was probably correct if that leak is legit, though. Card is straight busted in half.

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

If the banned and restricted lists are legit, I'll be excited to play the game for the first time in probably a year.

Edit: it would also indicate that FFG is finally putting on their adult pants and acknowledging that they aren't perfect and some cards just need to go for the good of the game.

Yithian fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 20, 2017

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I'll put it in an easier to read format, but actually this has me pretty excited if they're willing to shake things up this much.

Not that he was any good in the first place, but I appreciate that Exile will reach a level below dumpster tier with that restricted list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Yithian posted:

If the banned and restricted lists are legit, I'll be excited to play the game for the first time in probably a year.

Edit: it would also indicate that FFG is finally putting on their adult pants and acknowledging that they aren't perfect and some cards just need to go for the good of the game.

It really is about time FFG got serious about this poo poo.

• Locked thread