Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

ya but enough about you what's up with that tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Herm why yes, the infographic doesn't contain all the citations of the scientific paper linked in the article:

Hurr durr stupid scientists with their childlike understanding of the economy.

stupid scientists with their childlike understanding of economics, a fake science

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Your Parents posted:

stupid scientists with their childlike understanding of economics, a fake science

it's a good thing that they used sociology instead

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

Herm why yes, the infographic doesn't contain all the citations of the scientific paper linked in the article:

Hurr durr stupid scientists with their childlike understanding of the economy.

You don't understand either. While an individual child might benefit from having a higher income, that isn't money that's being magicked into existence in the economy as a whole. It simply means that that child is able to compete for higher wage jobs.

The infographic that I quoted was counting those higher incomes as a "return" that the country as a whole would get by investing in lead removal. I fully support lead removal, btw, but because it's the moral thing to do, not because it will somehow make more money appear out of nowhere.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jazerus posted:

it's a good thing that they used sociology instead

Get back to me when they prove it with particle physics actually never mind my praxiology can't be refuted
-an idiot in this thread, basically

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Jizz Festival posted:

You don't understand either. While an individual child might benefit from having a higher income, that isn't money that's being magicked into existence in the economy as a whole. It simply means that that child is able to compete for higher wage jobs.

The infographic that I quoted was counting those higher incomes as a "return" that the country as a whole would get by investing in lead removal. I fully support lead removal, btw, but because it's the moral thing to do, not because it will somehow make more money appear out of nowhere.

Ah, it's the "Trolling or just an idiot" point.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Taerkar posted:

Ah, it's the "Trolling or just an idiot" point.

Please then explain my error, wise one.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Money is not economic activity. You can have the latter without increasing the supply of the former.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jizz Festival posted:

Money is literally magicked into existence. Where do you think it comes from? The ground?

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Taerkar posted:

Money is not economic activity. You can have the latter without increasing the supply of the former.

So please explain how these kids having higher IQs, and thus being able to compete for higher wage jobs, increases economic activity. Do you think that their higher IQs increase the number of higher wage jobs?

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

Money is literally magicked into existence. Where do you think it comes from? The ground?

It's magicked into existence by the increasing of IQs? Fascinating stuff here.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!
http://jacksonville.com/news/public-safety/2017-09-19/jacksonville-naval-hospital-removes-employees-patient-care-after

quote:

Jacksonville Naval Hospital removes employees from patient care after disturbing photos with newborns go viral

Employees have been removed from their post at the Jacksonville Naval Hospital after disturbing photos with newborns surfaced on social media Monday.

Times-Union news partner First Coast News was flooded with emails and messages sharing the Facebook post, which garnered at least 100,000 shares as of 11 p.m. Monday.

The viral post shared a photo from a Snapchat account that showed the employee giving the middle finger to a newborn, followed by a caption that read “How I currently feel about these mini Satans.” The post also read the “navy nurse” and her friend made a baby dance to rap music.

Let's guess what race the babies were

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Asian-Pacific Islander.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jizz Festival posted:

It's magicked into existence by the increasing of IQs? Fascinating stuff here.

You don't have any clue how the economy works lmao

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Both houses of the state legislature have Republican majorities. One of them a supermajority. He's gotta pick his battles.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

You don't have any clue how the economy works lmao

Please correct my error then and explain how increasing the IQs of children creates money.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Okay, new vote for him: Sea Lion.

Pakled posted:

Both houses of the state legislature have Republican majorities. One of them a supermajority. He's gotta pick his battles.

Also you've got a long way to go to tear down the whole Puritan Work Ethic that infests this country.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pakled posted:

It doesn't matter if it's politically possible in the near term. Democrats should be not cede'ing that ground.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jizz Festival posted:

Please correct my error then and explain how increasing the IQs of children creates money.

people with higher intelligence are, in general, more capable of being more efficient and productive than people with lower intelligence, assuming they are otherwise literally the same person. their increased abilities allow them to generate more economically useful labor, and take on more complex tasks which generate a higher economic value than less complex tasks.

it does not create money necessarily (although it might! imagine any corporation built around a very intelligent inventor or team of inventors, then imagine they huffed lead constantly as children and what that might do to their entrepreneurial prospects) but it will almost certainly increase economic activity

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Isn't Colorado Springs the lovely libertarian town that no longer has street lights and other basic gov things?

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Jazerus posted:

people with higher intelligence are, in general, more capable of being more efficient and productive than people with lower intelligence, assuming they are otherwise literally the same person. their increased abilities allow them to generate more economically useful labor, and take on more complex tasks which generate a higher economic value than less complex tasks.

Ok, so it could increase the productivity of labor. If increasing IQ does indeed increase productivity then that could be the case, I accept that.

The reasoning that the infographic used, though, is that people with higher IQs get higher incomes. It was using the difference between the incomes people receive at the improved IQs and the income they would receive at the lower IQ as the "return" that would be received on this investment.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Pakled posted:

Don't argue with Mcmagic

PhazonLink posted:

Isn't Colorado Springs the lovely libertarian town that no longer has street lights and other basic gov things?

I'm pretty sure it is. Might be a suburb with those issues though.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Unfortunately, given Virginia's current legislative condition, he has no effective means of repealing right-to-work.

If by some grace of God we manage to win enough legislative seats in a right-to-work state, then right to work legislation needs to be top priority. We don't have a Democratic Infrastructure without unions. Right-to-work should be non-negotiable.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

PhazonLink posted:

It was a suburb in Colorado Springs, but Colorado Springs is not a libertarian city. It is a full-fledged religious conservative bastion. They were rated "The Most Religious City in America" based on average church attendance and self-identified religiosity. They are home to most of the major megachurch headquarters and have "Christ-Centered Communities" where you have to sign a pledge to live a Christian life to own property in the neighborhood and the HOA can evict you and force you to sell your home if they feel you aren't being Christian enough.

The Air Force Training Academy is there and there was a scandal involving air force cadets being expelled for reporting sexual assault. They would send them to a mental health counselor and they would cite bible verses to them about women's role in society and ask them why they were there in the first place. Then, if they "agreed" with the statement that they were confused or traumatized by the sexual assault, they would use that as grounds for a mental health dismissal.

quote:

Once victims are labeled with a serious mental illness, they can be expelled and even forced to reimburse the Academy for their education.

They also had cadets do their "Christian Duty" of rooting out the impure among the cadet class:

quote:

But new scandals have since come to light, including reports that the Academy uses cadets as confidential informants to ferret out drug abuse and those who claim to be atheist, agnostic, jewish, or muslim to be singled out for dismal under the guise of "unit cohesion."

quote:

The superintendent of the school was forced to accept a demotion after contents of a shared drive on the university network labelled "Promote List" were briefly publicly accessible. The file contained attendance logs for the evangelical chapel services offered by the school.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 20, 2017

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It was a suburb in Colorado Springs, but Colorado Springs is not a libertarian city. It is a full-fledged religious conservative bastion. They were rated "The Most Religious City in America" based on average church attendance and self-identified religiosity. They are home to most of the major megachurch headquarters and have "Christ-Centered Communities" where you have to sign a pledge to live a Christian life to own property in the neighborhood and the HOA can evict you and force you to sell your home if they feel you aren't being Christian enough.

There's also the air force academy.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

The Air Force Training Academy is there and there was a scandal involving air force cadets being expelled for reporting sexual assault. They would send them to a mental health counselor and they would cite bible verses to them about women's role in society and ask them why they were there in the first place. Then, if they "agreed" with the statement that they were confused or traumatized by the sexual assault, they would use that as grounds for a mental health dismissal.

They also had cadets do their "Christian Duty" of rooting out the impure among the cadet class:

Uhhh, source on that AFA stuff?
e: found it https://www.csindy.com/coloradospri...ent?oid=6402040

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

All the high IQ people I know are useless idiots who watch anime

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Babies love dancing. Anyone who hasn't made their baby, their friend's baby, or their family's baby dance just doesn't get kids. Bunch of easily offended people getting riled up over this. Yes, posting pictures of you flipping off babies is not a good career move. No, it is not detrimental to the poor infant who probably can't even see the the middle finger.

Also the babies pictured had most of their bodies redacted to protect their baby identities and I'm not hunting down unedited pictures of dumb poo poo. Baby looked down to dance to It's Your Birthday though.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Babies WILL gently caress you up if you let your guard down. not kidding.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Moatman posted:

Uhhh, source on that AFA stuff?
e: found it https://www.csindy.com/coloradospri...ent?oid=6402040

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/30/air-force-academy-suspends-counselors/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_United_States_Air_Force_Academy_sexual_assault_scandal

http://www.salon.com/2014/09/17/air_forces_mind_boggling_violation_members_forced_to_swear_religious_allegiance/

They also refused to commission 17 officers because they declined to swear an oath of service to "almighty god" and recite a daily pledge that contained "so help me god" and "with god's grace" and the Department of Defense had to step in and commission them. Instead of punishing the officials who did it, the DoD under Bush just commissioned the officers and then transferred them out "to avoid retaliatory actions and preserve morale at the academy."

lol

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 20, 2017

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Calibanibal posted:

Babies WILL gently caress you up if you let your guard down. not kidding.

One minute your changing them and the next minute you're dodging a stream of piss.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Mustached Demon posted:

There's also the air force academy.

The Air Force Academy is an interesting place. By far the most prominent building there is the church, and its interior layout supports one giant nave with two smaller downstairs chapels. The giant nave features pews that are angled in such a way as to make it impossible to kneel in prayer. Orthodox and Catholic students can't use it, they have to go downstairs in order to have a proper mass.

It is very much an Evangelical school as much as a military academy.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Has anyone high up given any thought to moving the AFA out of Colorado? A relocation to another locale that's not so steeped in religious dogma might do it some actual good.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Domestic Amuse posted:

Has anyone high up given any thought to moving the AFA out of Colorado? A relocation to another locale that's not so steeped in religious dogma might do it some actual good.

The air force base is there and all the higher-ups in the Air Force graduated from the academy and stuck through, so they are all heavily opposed.

Plus, no politician or general wants to spend billions of dollars to build a new air force base and academy to "keep the Christians away."

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

The air force base is there and all the higher-ups in the Air Force graduated from the academy and stuck through, so they are all heavily opposed.

Plus, no politician or general wants to spend billions of dollars to build a new air force base and academy to "keep the Christians away."

I imagine for them, the religious aspect is a feature and not a bug.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Eh the federal academy with widespread drunk whoremongers isn't any better.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Wow what the gently caress, like over the years I heard that the AF has a strange fundie bias but not anything that crazy.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

Wow what the gently caress, like over the years I heard that the AF has a strange fundie bias but not anything that crazy.

It is a big problem.

The right wing nuts in Colorado Springs go out of their way to recruit and indoctrinate cadets at the Academy.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Democrazy posted:

The Air Force Academy is an interesting place. By far the most prominent building there is the church, and its interior layout supports one giant nave with two smaller downstairs chapels. The giant nave features pews that are angled in such a way as to make it impossible to kneel in prayer. Orthodox and Catholic students can't use it, they have to go downstairs in order to have a proper mass.

It is very much an Evangelical school as much as a military academy.

You post as if that's not the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

and then there's the mormons

• Locked thread