Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BlindSite posted:

Saints ideally need a multi year plan with the standard. Fire everyone in the front office and poach some up and coming dudes. Trade or cut everyone who isnt on a rookie contract and good and sign some vet to start while you groom a rookie.

To be honest I've kind of been expecting it for two years now.

I'm guessing with the ownership issues its not likely to happen.

I keep hearing people reference rumors Brees wants out. Probably for a Peyton style 2 year mega money deal for a shot at a ring.

I wouldn't blame him at this point. As long as he didn't go to one of the other NFC South teams (which would be unlikely anyway considering you all have QBs), I'd pull for him to win one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I didn't really expect it going into this season because I thought we'd see some incremental improvement, but the way it looks now I think everything gets blown up at the end of the year. Brees gone, coaching staff gone, Loomis gone.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

BlindSite posted:

Saints ideally need a multi year plan with the standard. Fire everyone in the front office and poach some up and coming dudes. Trade or cut everyone who isnt on a rookie contract and good and sign some vet to start while you groom a rookie.

To be honest I've kind of been expecting it for two years now.

I'm guessing with the ownership issues its not likely to happen.

I keep hearing people reference rumors Brees wants out. Probably for a Peyton style 2 year mega money deal for a shot at a ring.

He is wasted in New Orleans and honestly, he'll be 39 by the end of the season. But then Brady still looks okay so maybe someone would give him a 2 year deal to chase a ring.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

big money big clit posted:

I didn't really expect it going into this season because I thought we'd see some incremental improvement, but the way it looks now I think everything gets blown up at the end of the year. Brees gone, coaching staff gone, Loomis gone.

Guess I need to start watching more college football to see who the top QB candidates will be.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Slowpoke! posted:

He is wasted in New Orleans and honestly, he'll be 39 by the end of the season. But then Brady still looks okay so maybe someone would give him a 2 year deal to chase a ring.

He's been relatively injury free his career and probably juices like other top Tier qbs. If someone throws him a few mill I'm sure hed stick around for a shot.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BlindSite posted:

He's been relatively injury free his career and probably juices like other top Tier qbs. If someone throws him a few mill I'm sure hed stick around for a shot.

Except for that one time in San Diego...... :D

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Got offered free tickets to the Bucs Vikings game Sunday. Debating if I want to make the 16 hour round trip.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Except for that one time in San Diego...... :D

If he went back and replaced Rivers Id probably crack a rib laughing.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Maybe the Dolphins would actually sign him now :eng99:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If dak Prescott continues being poo poo cowboys would give him all the dollars.

If not Jacksonville would probably pony up.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Saints playing checkers while the rest of the division playing chess.

Sorry Saints goons, you don't deserve this.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

weird Asian candy posted:

Eh, we kinda do.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The ring was worth it. My only frustration is watching them do the same dumb poo poo over and over.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Checkers has strategy, were playing Candy Land.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Barudak posted:

Checkers has strategy, were playing Candy Land.

I'd argue Jenga. Keep trying to add and remove pieces on top of a shifting foundation and we're all just waiting until the entire thing collapses.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Silly Burrito posted:

I'd argue Jenga. Keep trying to add and remove pieces on top of a shifting foundation and we're all just waiting until the entire thing collapses.

Oh man... this works scarily well.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Eh, we kinda do.

That Works posted:

The ring was worth it. My only frustration is watching them do the same dumb poo poo over and over. It has to be frustrating and disheartening. Makes me thankful for Quinn.

Oh I'm sure you wouldn't trade a thing, it's just crazy how inept this FO is and how poorly they have managed the talent surrounding what will go down as one of the best QBs of all time.

Silly Burrito posted:

:perfect:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

theyve been very good at finding receivers and lineman for brees. talent around him hasn't been the problem.

they just havent been able to do a thing on the defensive side of the ball. they've blown first rounders, given up on players too early, had insane free agent busts that made no sense at all, had bizarre career ending injuries, had a dude get filmed beating up a woman on a beach, had several high profile defensive coaches flame out.....

i mean theyve failed in every way imaginable. it's impressive.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

FizFashizzle posted:

theyve been very good at finding receivers and lineman for brees. talent around him hasn't been the problem.

they just havent been able to do a thing on the defensive side of the ball. they've blown first rounders, given up on players too early, had insane free agent busts that made no sense at all, had bizarre career ending injuries, had a dude get filmed beating up a woman on a beach, had several high profile defensive coaches flame out.....

Bring back Gregggggggggggg

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the farther we get from 2009 the more realistic saints fans are about that defense that season

2009: uh no they are expertly trained to cause turnovers and be in the right place at the right time

2017: yeah that poo poo was a fluke

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I don't really blame the FO as for the most part, like Fiz has said, they've made moves that look good on paper. Byrd and Keenan Lewis should have been good gets. Shipping Jimmy Graham to get a really good center and a first round pick was a good move because his production was replaceable. Galette was a very good pash rusher and deserved a big contract.

All of those things are good moves in a vacuum, but then it just doesn't work out at all for reasons of coaching and injury and the player being a violent woman beating rear end in a top hat.

There have been a few head scratchers, like giving Fleener a big contract or picking up Peterson, but those aren't crippling the team.

I'd blame the defensive coaching, but after seeing the same problems with four different coaches and a wide variety of players I'm just going to assume it's a gypsy curse.

Worth it.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah, I should have specified but the defensive side of the ball is what I was more referring to in regards to talent. Although they've also done fun things like trading away Brees top weapons at various points.

It is pretty impressive.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I was livid when they signed Byrd because I was sure he was going to be an absolute star for the next decade. Dude was the second coming of Ed Reed in Buffalo for a little while, what the gently caress happened?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

oldskool posted:

I was livid when they signed Byrd because I was sure he was going to be an absolute star for the next decade. Dude was the second coming of Ed Reed in Buffalo for a little while, what the gently caress happened?

The Saints uniform is kryptonite for defensive players.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I also don't think Loomis is bad. Like they kinda make radio call in show coordinator hires on the defensive side of the ball, but overall he's just as good as say dimitroff is. Or hell, even hurney before he destroyed the panthers cap and had two bad drafts in a row.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

oldskool posted:

Yeah, I was pissed when they signed Byrd as well. The Saints happened.

Also, here is a list of their FA signings during Payton's tenure:

2006: Drew Brees, Scott Fujita, Mark Campbell, Omar Stoutmire, Terrance Copper, Curtis Deloatch, Danny Clark, Billy Miller, Anthony Simmons, Rob Petitti, Chris Horn, Tommy Polley, Jay Foreman
2007: Jason David, Troy Evans, David Patten, Dhani Jones, Kendrick Clancy, Eric Johnson, Kevin Kaesviharn, Brian Simmons
2008: Randall Gay, Aaron Glenn, Mark Brunell, Dan Morgan, Bobby McCray
2009: Darren Sharper, Jabari Greer, Heath Evans, Dan Campbell, Anthony Hargrove, Paul Spicer, Pierson Prioleau, Darnell Dinkins
2010: Clint Ingram, Alex Brown, Jimmy Wilkerson
2011: Darren Sproles, Shaun Rogers, Aubrayo Franklin, Will Herring, Olin Kreutz, John Kasay, Korey Hall, John Gilmore, Turk McBride
2012: Curtis Lofton, Ben Grubbs, Chris Chamberlain, David Hawthorne, Brodrick Bunkley, Rafael Bush, Elbert Mack
2013: Keenan Lewis, Benjamin Watson, Victor Butler, Jim Leonhard
2014: Marcus Ball, Jairus Byrd, Jonathan Goodwin, Champ Bailey, Erik Lorig
2015: C.J. Spiller, Brandon Browner, Kyle Wilson, Anthony Spencer, Joe Morgan
2016: James Laurinaitis, Nick Fairley, Craig Robertson, Nathan Stupar, Erik Harris, Josh Scobee, Coby Fleener

gently caress you forever Curtis Lofton! :colbert:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

I also don't think Loomis is bad. Like they kinda make radio call in show coordinator hires on the defensive side of the ball, but overall he's just as good as say dimitroff is. Or hell, even hurney before he destroyed the panthers cap and had two bad drafts in a row.

Completely disagree. Loomis has made many a horrible contract which is one thing Dimitroff has been pretty darn good at. Cap room under the TD era has been pretty great and now coupled with Quinn, the talent is starting to stack up.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Completely disagree. Loomis has made many a horrible contract which is one thing Dimitroff has been pretty darn good at. Cap room under the TD era has been pretty great and now coupled with Quinn, the talent is starting to stack up.

Dimitroff has never had a qb as good as brees he's had to deal with. With the exception of one year, ryan has always been a better andy dalton. And that's also not true about their cap. They've never had a hideous contract hanging over their head, but trading away 8 years worth of drafts for Jones freed up some space at the expense of competing for about a year and a half.

And Quinn probably has more to do with drafting the defensive players that TD, especially considering who they drafted before he got there...

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

The Falcons are rebuilding, the Saints have been desperately trying to make one more run before Brees is gone and their window is closed. Very different situations. There's no trophy for having cap space, and they still found money for guys like Lewis and Browner and Byrd who then promptly sucked when they got here.

For all the talk of being in cap hell it really hasn't prevented them from doing things they want to do. The issue is that those things never work.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Dimitroff has never had a qb as good as brees he's had to deal with. With the exception of one year, ryan has always been a better andy dalton. And that's also not true about their cap. They've never had a hideous contract hanging over their head, but trading away 8 years worth of drafts for Jones freed up some space at the expense of competing for about a year and a half.

And Quinn probably has more to do with drafting the defensive players that TD, especially considering who they drafted before he got there...

So much lol

The Falcons are rebuilding, the Saints have been desperately trying to make one more run before Brees is gone and their window is closed. Very different situations. There's no trophy for having cap space, and they still found money for guys like Lewis and Browner and Byrd who then promptly sucked when they got here.

For all the talk of being in cap hell it really hasn't prevented them from doing things they want to do. The issue is that those things never work.

The Falcons are not in a rebuild mode though. Not anymore at least, and they really didn't have the "sell the farm" mentality more than letting go of all of the old and overpriced veterans from the Smith era.

And yeah, it will always amaze me how Loomis and co. can sign big ticket free agents with no drat money. Tip of the cap.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

The Falcons are not in a rebuild mode though. Not anymore at least, and they really didn't have the "sell the farm" mentality more than letting go of all of the old and overpriced veterans from the Smith era.

Well, I mean, the farm was like 90% old overpriced veterans from the Smith years. Outside of Ryan and Jones the team looks very different than it did just a few years ago. Which is what you expect when you bring in a new coaching staff, they want their guys.

For most of the post Super Bowl era the Saints were just trying to keep the team mostly together and plug in a few pieces to get them over the top again. Like I said, very different goals and one leads to different spending habits than the other.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Well, I mean, the farm was like 90% old overpriced veterans from the Smith years. Outside of Ryan and Jones the team looks very different than it did just a few years ago. Which is what you expect when you bring in a new coaching staff, they want their guys.

For most of the post Super Bowl era the Saints were just trying to keep the team mostly together and plug in a few pieces to get them over the top again. Like I said, very different goals and one leads to different spending habits than the other.

Yeah, I got you.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

This is a really bad post.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

This is a really bad post.

like what part? ryan never being as good as brees (last year being the exception)? he hasn't been unless you want to make a game management v pure stats argument which i'd actually be receptive to but its difficult to prove.

poo poo, it wouldn't be hard at all for me to find both you doubting matt ryan after 2015, when he was inferior to andy dalton. of course andy dalton has completely collapsed so who the gently caress knows whats going on there.

early dimitroff was more bad than good. smith didn't get fired because of how talented the team was. (also a certain game in london) He and dimitroff had many feuds at the end about how to approach the building of the team, that's not a secret. it's also not an insult. plenty of GMs need a good coach input and vice versa. Marty Hurney fell apart after he forced out Fox, and Andy Reid.....yeah.

regardless now they're working pretty well.

you guys are so loving reactionary. the falcons are probably the best team in the nfc right now you don't need to be hyper defensive about drafting peria jerry, or the sam baker situation, or all of the 2012 draft.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Andy Dalton vs Matt Ryan? Lets see...

Andy Dalton:
games: 95
Record: 56-37-2
Comp: 62.6
Y: 22608
Y/A: 7.2
TD: 142
INT: 85

Matt Ryan:
games: 95
Record: 53-40-1
Comp: 58.4
Y: 22171
Y/A: 7.4
TD: 138
INT: 79

Wow okay those are way closer than I thought....wait, wait, my bad. That second QB isn't Matt Ryan, its Cam Newton.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

like what part?

Basically all of it :shrug:

It's cool though, we are used to the Fiz Falcon takes. You do you boo :wink:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Matt Ryan is a better Andy Dalton. I mean it's not an outlandish claim or anything.

https://www.pro-football-reference....n00&idx=players

It's even closer when you take out last season, which is a statistical outlier for both players. Although right now it looks like dalton might be done.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
^^ lol yes, let's take out his best year to make a point.

FizFashizzle posted:

:thunk:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

You guys are so loving reactionary. the falcons are probably the best team in the nfc right now

Ehhhhhhh

You beat the Bears and a completely injured Packers squad. Maybe slow down on the "best team" hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Ehhhhhhh

You beat the Bears and a completely injured Packers squad. Maybe slow down on the "best team" hype.

...you?

• Locked thread