Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Twitter fugue state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

so doug's job is just to hang out and look like he's staring at the ark of the covenant at northwestern games

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

quote:

“No, (there’s) no different account,” he said. “I was just on there talking. It kind of looked that way – it did kind of look that way.”
lol what??????? this is worse than just flatly denying everything/ignoring it until it goes away

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

xbilkis posted:

It's hard to say what happened really, he basically blacked out

KD posted:

“I played a little too much, and that (expletive) really hurt me,” Durant, who first addressed the situation on a TechCrunch panel about athletes and branding, told USA TODAY Sports afterward. “To know that I affected Billy Donovan and the Thunder – like I love those people and I don’t never (want to hurt them).

“That was just me being a total (expletive) idiot. I own up to it. I want to move on from it. It probably hit me probably harder than what everybody (thought). Everybody else was telling me to relax, to snap out of it, but I was really, really upset with myself more than anything. It’s not the fact that people were talking about me, because I deserve that, but I’m just more upset with myself that I let myself go that far, you know what I was saying? It was a joke to me at first. I was doing it all summer, and it went too deep. I went too hard… I haven’t slept in two days, two nights. I haven’t ate. It’s crazy, because I feel so (expletive) pissed at myself and I’m mad that I brought someone into it.”

As for the suspicions that he meant to send the tweets from some sort of secret account, he swears that’s not the case.

“No, (there’s) no different account,” he said. “I was just on there talking. It kind of looked that way – it did kind of look that way.”

And truth be told, he shared, it all became a blur once he realized what he had done.

“I was at home (in his Oakland Hills home),” Durant said. “I fell asleep watching football. I woke up, had charged my phone, and I just happened to look on Twitter. And I see (the person’s comment that sparked his response), and I just don’t remember it. I remember what I said and how I said it, but I just forget everything else. I forgot everything else. I was only focused on that convo, and that was unfortunate. I look like an idiot. My peers are going to look at me like an idiot. All the jokes – bring ‘em. I deserve it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/09/19/remorseful-kevin-durant-feels-terrible-twitter-incident-disappointed-myself/682654001/

He was stoned out his gourd and tweeting in the 3rd person, I called it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

At some point LAL, NYK and Chicago are going to get good again and the list of teams losing money is going to balloon.

Looking at the Knicks franchise totals (WP%, SRS etc.) year by year the mediocrity is remarkable. 70+ seasons and only one team with an SRS over 7 (nearly fifty years back). A sad legacy.

Chicago is dangerously close to zero (and negative) population growth. Twenty years from now if all three of those teams have remained junky I wouldn't be surprised. In a few decades Chicago may be #4 in population overtaken by Houston if things continue at this trajectory.

A century seems like a safer bet as that's how long it took the Cubs to win again. Although by then society may've undergone an irreversible paradigmatic shift. There's always that point where a society collapses and all sports are destroyed as the poorest in the population are weaponized and attack. Raiding marauders, barbarians etc. always show up and nobody will have time for sports when the hordes are looting millionaire/billionaire mansions and devising ways to break into the trillionaires underground lairs. It always happens.

He'll grind the Bulls youngsters into the ground if they follow his mantras. I remember that 76ers squad that played well for a few months and then died in the second half.

Niwrad posted:

Unfortunately this city was dumb enough to build the White Sox a stadium because he threatened to move them down to Sarasota or something.

It's a giant parking garage. Baseball in a giant parking garage.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zogo posted:

Looking at the Knicks franchise totals (WP%, SRS etc.) year by year the mediocrity is remarkable. 70+ seasons and only one team with an SRS over 7 (nearly fifty years back). A sad legacy.

Chicago is dangerously close to zero (and negative) population growth. Twenty years from now if all three of those teams have remained junky I wouldn't be surprised. In a few decades Chicago may be #4 in population overtaken by Houston if things continue at this trajectory.

A century seems like a safer bet as that's how long it took the Cubs to win again. Although by then society may've undergone an irreversible paradigmatic shift. There's always that point where a society collapses and all sports are destroyed as the poorest in the population are weaponized and attack. Raiding marauders, barbarians etc. always show up and nobody will have time for sports when the hordes are looting millionaire/billionaire mansions and devising ways to break into the trillionaires underground lairs. It always happens.

The best Zogo post I have ever read. This offseason never stops delivering.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Zogo posted:

He'll grind the Bulls youngsters into the ground if they follow his mantras. I remember that 76ers squad that played well for a few months and then died in the second half.

It's a giant parking garage. Baseball in a giant parking garage.

zogo you rule

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Lockback posted:

In 2010 the New Orleans Hornets had to be taken over by the league because they couldn't produce money for payroll. The situation was an outlier, but its not like something like that couldn't happen again. That was not a negotiating tactic. Also, the NBA PA and Owners came to an agreement very recently that kept the money in the split the same without an real disruption. If they are playing hardball they are pretty bad at it this time around.

In 2010 the cap (the players' money) was 58 million which means the owners got about 43 million and the BRi was about 102 million (57/43 split).

Last year it was 94 million with a 50/50ish split. That means the owners are taking home about 94 million themselves.

If a team was breaking even in 2010 they'd have to have increased (non player) spending by 118% in the last 7 years from 43 to 94 million to be break even again.

I don't buy it, personally.

Let me know if I'm loving up some of this napkin math or being dumb somehow. Obviously some teams spend more on players and that gets spread to other teams but the averages should hold true.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/KatzM/status/910209058900254721

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Nationalize the NBA

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://www.modernluxury.com/san-francisco/story/kd-and-the-vcs-how-kevin-durant-became-made-man-silicon-valley

quote:

He and Kleiman were in China for a weeklong tour of the country sponsored by Nike Basketball, and the flak he was taking from people in Oklahoma City who had once professed deep affection for him was overwhelming. “To have so many people just say, ‘gently caress you,’ that really does it to you,” Durant tells me, still clearly anguished. “Because I truly had invested everything I had into the people I played for…. And for those people that I know and love and trust to turn their back on me after I was fully invested in them, it was just…more than I could take. I was upset.”

WHY DID YOU TURN YOUR BACK ON ME :cry:

quote:

‘Why the gently caress did you let me do this to my life?’

not shook

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/09/19/remorseful-kevin-durant-feels-terrible-twitter-incident-disappointed-myself/682654001/

quote:

“That was just me being a total (expletive) idiot. I own up to it. I want to move on from it. It probably hit me probably harder than what everybody (thought). Everybody else was telling me to relax, to snap out of it, but I was really, really upset with myself more than anything. It’s not the fact that people were talking about me, because I deserve that, but I’m just more upset with myself that I let myself go that far, you know what I was saying? It was a joke to me at first. I was doing it all summer, and it went too deep. I went too hard… I haven’t slept in two days, two nights. I haven’t ate. It’s crazy, because I feel so (expletive) pissed at myself and I’m mad that I brought someone into it.”

KD makes it sound like he went into some crazy Heath Ledger method acting binge

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 20, 2017

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
"To add injury to insult, Kevin's game was never the same. He seemed distracted and sullen, didn't play with the same fire and as is often the case the body broke down with the mind- shockingly fast. He quickly succumbed to foot and knee injuries and retired at the end of the 2019 season; a sputtering, disappointing end to what should have been a longer and even more legendary career."

-Excerpt from An Oral History of Kevin Durant's Downfall published on Grantland2.com

Brolander fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 20, 2017

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

does... does he not understand he turned his back on them first?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
still need my Durant Supersonics jersey

Or Sonics w/e it is

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

He's not used to the Cali weed yet.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

KD was shook so hard he had an out of body experience

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
kd have two personalities
Nicest person you will ever meet
And...
TWISTED loving PSYCHOPATH

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Dexo posted:

He wasn't even a Kevin who had the worst weekend.

10 million!? man would snitch on himself too lmfao. bloody 10 million!!!! ring the alarm

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

bitch wants 10 million us dollaRS lord have mercy

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Spite posted:

He's not used to the Cali weed yet.

:xd: weed :xd:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

who would be the classic NBAers who would be best online during their prime? I'd say either Walton or Marvin Barnes.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

R.D. Mangles posted:

who would be the classic NBAers who would be best online during their prime? I'd say either Walton or Marvin Barnes.

i read a kareem abdul-jabbar interview where he said he wished social media was around when he played because it would've helped fans relate to him better

heh

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

R.D. Mangles posted:

Wilt Chamberlain with twitter would end up having sex with an even more ridiculous amount of women.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

chunkles posted:

i read a kareem abdul-jabbar interview where he said he wished social media was around when he played because it would've helped fans relate to him better

heh

Kareem was a collasal rear end in a top hat for most of his career.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

prime wilt on instagram? no one would be safe everyone can get it

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

also while im here: kevin durant is softer dennabitch

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Wilt would have washed out of the league in today's time

Tinder and Instagram would mean he would never ever showed up to a game ever.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

How does KD manage to not fall completely apparently when a women says no to farting in his face

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Spacebump posted:

Wilt Chamberlain with twitter would end up having sex with an even more ridiculous amount of women.

A Wilt in modern times probably would have invented Tinder.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

R.D. Mangles posted:

Bill Russell would have been woke as gently caress

Marvin Barnes would be the thread favorite for batshit hilarious stuff

Shaq would have try hard as gently caress, but we would have all pretended we loved it

Kobe would have been constantly subtweeting Shaq

Rasheed would have been the king of IG

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rodman's twitter usage would be the cause of at least one international incident.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

90s phil jackson unfollowing scottie pippen as part of an elaborate mind game

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Bill Russel's twitter after he left Boston would have been him doing nothing but making GBS threads on Boston and it's fans.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

There would probably be a lot of Gilbert Arenas' out there

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

The Glumslinger posted:

Bill Russell would have been woke as gently caress

Marvin Barnes would be the thread favorite for batshit hilarious stuff

Shaq would have try hard as gently caress, but we would have all pretended we loved it

Kobe would have been constantly subtweeting Shaq

Rasheed would have been the king of IG

Bill Russell would be some weird combo of Tim Duncan and Colin Kaepernick.

Marvin Barnes would be dril-esque and just Twitter inane and esoteric stuff in fragmented sentences.

Shaq would, and did iirc, use any form of social media to shill for any product.

Kobe would take himself far too seriously and end up being Marvin Barnes 2.0 without realizing it.

Rasheed would get suspended so often for weed pics.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

80s pat riley complaining about being hacked at least four times

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Wilt with modern online dating tools and modern women in general would be responsible for significantly altering the gene pool a la Genghis Khan

I'm imagining Nick Anderson would have entered an even worse career spiral if Twitter was around for the four missed free throws

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Loyalty is important to KD. That's why it's a good thing Draymond has his back in all of this
https://streamable.com/qmq4k

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

quote:

I'm imagining Nick Anderson would have entered an even worse career spiral if Twitter was around for the four missed free throws

quote:

quote:

quote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

imagine frederic weiss (rip)

• Locked thread