Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

the old ceremony posted:

RING THE BELLS! RING THE BELLS!

Gimme bi-cameral legislature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

BBJoey posted:

sometimes i think that things will only improve when we bring back political assassinations to maximise accountability, but then i think about how the right would retaliate with assassinations of their own, and then i resign myself to my meaningless bourgeois life.

I think about this more than I should.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

iajanus posted:

Wait people actually go into David Jones stores?

My mum does because she works there as a sales consultant for a brand sold in the store

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
ring the bells that still can ring
forget your perfect christmas pudding
test result: there's poo in everything
that's how the light gets in

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

quote:

Madeline hit back on Tuesday, saying she was not a homophobe and should not have been fired for having an opinion.

hey madeline fyi homophobia is a set of opinions and you should be fired for them hth ttyl

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

bandaid.friend posted:

There's a number of catchphrases going around that strawman the social justice movement, or joke as if a concept (like a gender spectrum) cannot be real. They spread very well on reddit

I think the first time I heard it was the 56 custom gender options on twitter. And of course that gets turned into "They want to make there 76 genders lol!!!"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"I don't understand why people are firing me for being against other people having rights"

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Is it too cynical to wonder if this isn't viral marketing?

[EDIT: It looks like she shut down her company's Facebook page and Instagram, so maybe not]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 20, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Nobody seems to question right wing talking points half the time. On Q&A they had a guy blaming those storm damage blackouts on renewables yet again, and, despite Penny Wong and Sarah Hanson-Young sitting right there clowning him on everything else, they didn’t call him out.

Or like the government talking about poor people paying no taxes and nobody bothering to mention what the T in GST stands for.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Tokamak posted:

I think about this more than I should.

it really is fascinating reading about turn of the (20th) century politics where, in europe, the standard way for registering your displeasure with a government's programs and policies was to shoot the minister responsible

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

I received this in my mailbox today. There are a lot of families with kids in my area so the target is not surprising but the message is nuts.

According to these crackpots schools will be forced to teach our kids gay and lesbian sexual activities in the classroom and all parents will lose rights. Warning: like my usual posts this may trigger you.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The problem with propaganda of the deed was that it was an individual revolutionary action and not one of organisation. Guillotines are more effective than pistols.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Radical Gay Sex Education.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Does it make me a bad person that my only qualms with mass execution of conservatives are practical rather than ethical?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Solemn Sloth posted:

Does it make me a bad person that my only qualms with mass execution of conservatives are practical rather than ethical?

Were you sitting around rubbing your hands together while Irma was bearing down on Florida?

asking for a friend

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Severing posted:

I received this in my mailbox today. There are a lot of families with kids in my area so the target is not surprising but the message is nuts.

According to these crackpots schools will be forced to teach our kids gay and lesbian sexual activities in the classroom and all parents will lose rights. Warning: like my usual posts this may trigger you.

This is going to work, isn't it?

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/drpiotrowski/status/910332591630196737

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
We are gonna get a bunch of boomers and middle class 40yo mothers agreeing with Cory Bernardi temporarily. Aren't we?

52/48 to no, isn't it?

I want to die.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Solemn Sloth posted:

No. Also in regards to practicality, the lowered rate of tobacco smoking makes executions a lot cheaper on resources and I hope you take this into account.

We can also steal the shirts off their backs in order to create blindfolds. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Don Dongington posted:

Were you sitting around rubbing your hands together while Irma was bearing down on Florida?

asking for a friend

Seems like a hurricane would have way worse impact on minorities and vulnerable groups, so not really. Need something way more targeted like Madame guillotine.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Are there leaflets available to counter these claims or vaccinate against them?

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Intoluene posted:

Sadly no. Vaccinating against dumb would be a killer blow to most conservative movements.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Intoluene posted:

Sending such a leaflet would be militant lesbianism and Marxism.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

JBP posted:

Sending such a leaflet would be militant lesbianism and Marxism.

"hard green-left transgender activists"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Alt-left terrorist called me a regressive.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I got my vote thingo in the mail today and the final four letters of the barcode are "NAZ1" :tinfoil:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
https://thewest.com.au/news/australia/warehouses-full-with-baby-formula-stockpiled-to-send-to-china-ng-b88604764z

Wade through the dogwhistle racism for a moment, to the last sentence:

The Worst posted:

Consumer watchdog, the ACCC says they aren't breaking any laws and there are even some in government who support the buying frenzy saying it’s a boost to the economy

Yeah, these people are paying other people cash in hand (tax free), probably a few dollars a tin to buy out entire supermarkets, and sending livegiving baby formula over the sea where it's being sold for $75 a unit, where it is also not generating tax revenue.

Explain how this is boosting the economy again? If the supply was meeting the demand (and resulting in greater revenue for the supermarket and supplier), then people wouldn't be complaining about the inability to get baby formula. Oh yeah baby formula doesn't even have a GST component, so allowing this activity is literally doing nothing for the economy, or tax revenue, and causing big problems for parents.

Fair enough, this isn't the ACCC's problem - but the federal govt could probably pull their finger out of their collective rear end in a top hat on this one.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Cool, I'll just ignore the racism.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Speaking of racism,

Adelaidenow posted:

IN a major political blunder, One Nation has failed to register for the next South Australian election and will not contest any seats.

According to a report in The Australian, One Nation had confirmed it had missed its chance to contest the election, due on March 17, 2018. Leader Pauline Hanson had predicted they would be a major player.

Under South Australia’s Electoral Act, parties must register six months before a state election to be eligible for consideration and that crucial cut-off was on Friday.

One Nation, which will be a key participant in the Queensland poll, had expected to field “dozens of candidates” and hoped its strong performance in the last year’s federal election would give it a bold showing in SA.

But with no One Party candidates, it leaves the door open for Nick Xenophon’s new SA Best Party and Cory Bernardi’s Australian Conservatives.

A statement on the One Nation website stated: “We are currently not registered to contest territory elections in South Australia, however we would love to.”

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
The original Facebook post got deleted, but it was full of dickheads complaining about "chines" going around buying all the formula and good "local" babies going without. The original news article was even worse with dog-whistle poo poo. My sister's friend ended up writing to them and got the language amended.

loving infuriating to see that poo poo and no one should skip over it.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Don Dongington posted:

https://thewest.com.au/news/australia/warehouses-full-with-baby-formula-stockpiled-to-send-to-china-ng-b88604764z

Yeah, these people are paying other people cash in hand (tax free), probably a few dollars a tin to buy out entire supermarkets, and sending livegiving baby formula over the sea where it's being sold for $75 a unit, where it is also not generating tax revenue.

Explain how this is boosting the economy again? If the supply was meeting the demand (and resulting in greater revenue for the supermarket and supplier), then people wouldn't be complaining about the inability to get baby formula. Oh yeah baby formula doesn't even have a GST component, so allowing this activity is literally doing nothing for the economy, or tax revenue, and causing big problems for parents.

Fair enough, this isn't the ACCC's problem - but the federal govt could probably pull their finger out of their collective rear end in a top hat on this one.

Ah, gently caress. I know the exact thing going on here. They're the reason why my old store enacted that people can only buy 4 tins of baby formula a day.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Chinese people aren't buying Australian baby formula because they want to make drugs out of it, they're buying it because they have good reasons to believe Chinese baby formula will poison their babies.

To an extent the dangers of that are overblown but it's pretty repulsive that this of all things is the issue that keeps reappearing to justify Chinese people as evil plotters trying to loot the country.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

rapeface posted:

The original Facebook post got deleted, but it was full of dickheads complaining about "chines" going around buying all the formula and good "local" babies going without. The original news article was even worse with dog-whistle poo poo. My sister's friend ended up writing to them and got the language amended.

loving infuriating to see that poo poo and no one should skip over it.

I didn't see the original, and I never said we should ignore it; I was just drawing people's attention to that particular issue, but ok.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Chinese people aren't buying Australian baby formula because they want to make drugs out of it, they're buying it because they have good reasons to believe Chinese baby formula will poison their babies.

To an extent the dangers of that are overblown but it's pretty repulsive that this of all things is the issue that keeps reappearing to justify Chinese people as evil plotters trying to loot the country.

I have to wonder why baby formula companies aren't seeing this demand and catering to it directly.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Don Dongington posted:

I'd guess even without GST it still provides a pretty sizeable economic boost. There are transport costs, wages for the buyers and exporters and all the other ancillary costs. They also increase the profits of the manufacturers, supermarkets and everyone else in the supply chain, and they (are supposed to) pay tax on those.

Isn't the problem here simply that the manufacturers aren't producing enough to keep up with demand?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

open24hours posted:

I'd guess even without GST it still provides a pretty sizeable economic boost. There are transport costs, wages for the buyers and exporters and all the other ancillary costs. They also increase the profits of the manufacturers, supermarkets and everyone else in the supply chain, and they (are supposed to) pay tax on those.

Isn't the problem here simply that the manufacturers aren't producing enough to keep up with demand?

It's more that without any increase in supply, there's no actual improvement to the economic bottom line as a result; just a massive detriment to people trying to feed their loving kids.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Severing posted:

I have to wonder why baby formula companies aren't seeing this demand and catering to it directly.

I suspect it's because a) doing business in China is hard and b) the more that a company is officially involved in the Chinese market, the more people will suspect the products might be made in China or subject to poor standards somewhere along the process like other Chinese baby formulas (whereas you have more confidence in something that your friend or relative bought in Australia and carried to you on a plane)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Severing posted:

one tried

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-02/bellamy-shares-tumble-40-per-cent-as-chinese-rules-sour-business/8087446

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Coles has a whole area of their phone support to dealing with this baby formula stuff. Orders on Coles Online get flagged if you order multiples of it, too.

But yeah, walk around Melbourne and you'll find dozens of little shops with nothing but a desk, one young man or woman sitting behind it, and boxes upon boxes of A2 Baby Formula cartons. They make a fair bit of money doing it.

But yeah, the reason it's done is because there was a big issue a few years ago where some Chinese baby formula was found to contain a whole lot of heavy metals or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Other things that were in the baby formula powder circles: certain brands of multi vitamins and supplement tablets, Minion-branded Tic Tacs.

• Locked thread