Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Magnus Praeda posted:

I was going to post more in-depth about them later but I will say that I just got two Jinhao 159s from Goulet's BOGO sale and a Wing Sung 3008. The 3008 has a Lamy-style (knock off) nib in F and the 159s are both M #6 nibs. I've inked up the 3008 and one of the 159s and both of those have been writing quite well for the past week.

I look forward to reading your in-depth bit, looking for something different/not super expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Got a pack of the Lanbitou 3059s in today. The bodies and piston mechanisms are actually better made than I expected. The piston seals up pretty well and once I added a little silicone grease it's actually pretty smooth. Nibs suck, though, so I'm going to completely regrind the tipping. Not bad for $2.50 a piece.

Absolutely shameless ripoff of the Eco, though.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Found these things at the local flea market today. Super cool Mucha tin (and my new pen box), a full bottle of Pelikan dip ink in the neat inkwell bottle and a little cheapie plastic dip pen with an oblique nib in it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Heath posted:

Found these things at the local flea market today. Super cool Mucha tin (and my new pen box), a full bottle of Pelikan dip ink in the neat inkwell bottle and a little cheapie plastic dip pen with an oblique nib in it.

Do Indian public schools still use dip pens?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
No idea. I think they use fountain pens more widely in India than the US does, not sure about dip pens.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Would anybody be interested in trading something for a $20~ kuru toga plus some fancy art pencil leads? I had a good run with it, and I wouldn't mind giving it to an interested person via trade or sell.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The only people at work that noticed I was even using a fountain pen were from India or Pakistan, and that was all ages. I didn't really get too deep into their experience with it, but I can say at least some were using them in school ~20 years ago.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The only people at work that noticed I was even using a fountain pen were from India or Pakistan, and that was all ages. I didn't really get too deep into their experience with it, but I can say at least some were using them in school ~20 years ago.

India still uses them in schools today.

Actually, that was one of the more odd things to me when I came to America for college - people were routinely submitting work to professors done up in pencil on the back of scrap paper. In Singapore, past a certain age in school no teacher would accept work in pencil; it's pens or bust. And you definitely would use a fresh sheet of paper rather than the cover sheet from your printouts and so on.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kessel posted:

Actually, that was one of the more odd things to me when I came to America for college - people were routinely submitting work to professors done up in pencil on the back of scrap paper. In Singapore, past a certain age in school no teacher would accept work in pencil; it's pens or bust. And you definitely would use a fresh sheet of paper rather than the cover sheet from your printouts and so on.

To be honest in Canada you'd never see that pencil poo poo after probably grade 8 or so. Did you go to a liberal arts college?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress that, if I had to do engineering homework in pen and not pencil I'd have to rewrite the drat thing like 30 times before I was done.

Mechanical pencils 4 lyfe

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

VelociBacon posted:

I look forward to reading your in-depth bit, looking for something different/not super expensive.

Ask and ye shall receive:
First up the 3008:

Of the three, this is probably my favorite. The piston mechanism is smooth and works really well--after my eyedropper Charlie, this holds the most ink of any pen in my stable. The nib, as I mentioned is a Lamy knock-off and the F is pretty much a Lamy F. It's very smooth and I haven't seen any skipping or hard starts in the week I've had it inked. I've got it inked up with Noodler's Nikita and I love how the red looks in the clear feed. I'm definitely thinking of ordering another couple of these.

Now the 159s:

These are fatty cigars and have some significant heft--they look and feel like much more expensive pens than they are. They're both #6 M nibs and they're definitely a western M. A bit wider than I typically go for in my daily driver but nice if you're signing "important documents" or whatever. I've been using the black one at work inked up with (admittedly boring but work-appropriate) Pelikan Brilliant Black. I've gotten more comments about it than I have with other, more expensive pens I've brought to work with the possible exception of my VP (since that gets a "they make a clicky fountain pen!?" reaction from at least half the people that see it). I actually delayed this post primarily because I was waiting for the ink I bought for the orange one to arrive. Now it's inked with J. Herbin's Orange Indien (because I had to have an orange ink for an orange pen).

And, of course, the writing sample page with my dumb block caps and stupid doodles:

Like any Chinese pen, ymmv as far as nib quality, etc. goes. But all three of these are writing very well and, at least for the last week, have been nice to carry around. The only thing I've noticed is the 3008 gets some slight condensation forming in the cap since it's been in my shirt pocket going in- and out-of-doors with the accompanying fluctuations in temperature and humidity. It doesn't really affect it in any way, though, and I'm sure my other pens get similar condensation but none of them are demonstrators.

Kessel posted:

VelociBacon posted:

To be honest in Canada you'd never see that pencil poo poo after probably grade 8 or so. Did you go to a liberal arts college?

At both of my liberal arts colleges (in the US), I was required to type all papers and bluebook exams had to be taken in blue or black ink. The one class I could use pencil for turned-in assignments was math. Either Kessel went to a school with much more lenient professors or just didn't see when those assignments were returned with "redo and resubmit" across the top.

Even most of my high school teachers required typed work if it wasn't a worksheet or something.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I went to Purdue, which is very engineering-heavy, so I'm not surprised to hear that the professors were more lenient about these things.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Caran d'Ache 849 loving blows.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

grack posted:

:( But they look so cool. What's wrong with it? Bad nib? lovely weight distribution?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Magnus Praeda posted:

:( But they look so cool. What's wrong with it? Bad nib? lovely weight distribution?

The step down in the grip is really uncomfortable and it makes long writing sections unpleasant. I've also now seen two 849s (including mine!) where the tipping material was split so badly off-centre that they simply wouldn't write without considerable work to the nib.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Those stepped sections suck, its why I hated pilot metropolitan.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

grack posted:

Dammit, mine just got here! I was looking forward to picking it up after work. :(

Second opinion/confirmation incoming I guess?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Well, hopefully your nib is less of a piece of crap than mine was.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Went to a Pelikan hub/pen meetup last night, holy poo poo some people have too much money. On the plus side I got to play with so many awesome pens, now I am super keen for the next one.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Noodler's flex pen really brings out the shading in a lot of inks, I'm really impressed. I've used it with normal nibs but was disappointed in the results.
Here are a few samples on a rhodia dot pad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Premature posted:

Went to a Pelikan hub/pen meetup last night, holy poo poo some people have too much money. On the plus side I got to play with so many awesome pens, now I am super keen for the next one.

Maybe I could have mooched a cap off a rep. An M200 I found on the ground without a cap was what got me interested in fountain pens, but I refuse to pay €50 for a cap as a matter of principle.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 23, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Premature posted:

Just got back from one tonight. You ain't wrong, but I can't really say much because I own like, 15 Deltas.

Ink is better than last year, though, so that's nice.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Parasol Prophet posted:

Dammit, mine just got here! I was looking forward to picking it up after work. :(
Second opinion/confirmation incoming I guess?

The nib on mine is fine, and it's a good writer. I don't mind the step in the section. The thing that bugs me about mine is the barrel is a different, slightly-lighter shade of eye-watering orange than the cap. I didn't notice until I got it home, and it's bugging me more than I thought it would. I inked it with the included cart, and I'm looking forward to trying something like Jentle or Iroshizuku in it, with a smoother flow. I'm not wild about it, like I hoped to be, but I'm not sorry I bought it.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
That's good to hear, although that sucks about the color. That'd bug me to no end.

My experience is about the same so far-- my nib was good, and it writes well overall (I got the EF and the pen itself is blue, incase that might have anything to do with this nib thing). I inked it with a cartridge of Diamine Midnight and the flow is excellent.

The step doesn't bother me because I hold pens in a weird grip halfway up the barrel like a drat child. The only thing I don't like about mine is that the cap wobbles when posted, which makes the already-unbalanced pen feel even stranger. I guess i can always just not post the cap, but I like being able to do it because I'm paranoid about losing caps.

So yeah, I like it but I don't love it as much as I wanted to. Ah well, I still think it'll be a good work/study writer!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Magnus Praeda posted:

Ask and ye shall receive:
:words:

Thanks for this. I might have to pick up one of these soon.

Any cool and good recommendations here for a dark blue/purple/etc ink? I need to use it for charting in healthcare so I can't use anything that wouldn't photocopy/scan well.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Buglord
I just bought a pilot parallel too, are there any good resources on calligraphy? I seem to recall some have been posted before and I checked the OP but couldn't see them.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

VelociBacon posted:

Any cool and good recommendations here for a dark blue/purple/etc ink? I need to use it for charting in healthcare so I can't use anything that wouldn't photocopy/scan well.

Noodler's 54th Mass. is my go-to blue ink. Pretty well behaved in any pen I put it in and it's got some lovely shading. I use it at work pretty regularly because it shows up well even in faxed documents.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

If you want something permanent KWZ Iron Gall Blue Black is my go to "professional" ink. Very well behaved on all the paper I've used it on.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Megabound posted:

If you want something permanent KWZ Iron Gall Blue Black is my go to "professional" ink. Very well behaved on all the paper I've used it on.

Would Iron Gall inks be safe in a pilot metro? I know it's a cheap pen but I don't want to intentionally ruin it.

e: is the Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo dark enough in the flesh for professional writing? I love what I'm seeing from it.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 23, 2017

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Yes, it's definitely dark enough.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Premature posted:

I just bought a pilot parallel too, are there any good resources on calligraphy? I seem to recall some have been posted before and I checked the OP but couldn't see them.

This:

https://www.amazon.com/Spencerian-Penmanship-Theory-Rogers-Spencer/dp/088062082X

Plus the workbooks if you want to get started, depending how bad your handwriting is now.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Premature posted:

With a parallel are you talking calligraphy as in cursive writing or calligraphy like the gothic style of lettering?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Would Iron Gall inks be safe in a pilot metro? I know it's a cheap pen but I don't want to intentionally ruin it.

e: is the Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo dark enough in the flesh for professional writing? I love what I'm seeing from it.

KWZs IG inks are really safe. Safe enough that I use them in my vintages without worry.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

VelociBacon posted:

Sailor Jentle Shigure

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Buglord
I'm happy with my cursive (mostly), I'm just looking for stuff like Gothic script. Anything big and ostentatious.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I like Iron Gall and pigmented inks. The new formulations of IG inks are generally pretty safe (though heard KWZ IG can stain some demonstrators or something).

I like Sei-Boku (Blue black and sheens) and Kiwa Guro pigmented inks. R&K Salix and Scabiosa are quite good too.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Premature posted:

I'm happy with my cursive (mostly), I'm just looking for stuff like Gothic script. Anything big and ostentatious.

This looks like a good resource for learning gothic script

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

A new pen arrived in the mail yesterday, Mabie Todd Swan with a No. 2 nib. No idea on year made, I think is older than my other Swan based on the clip style. Maybe pre 1935? Research is needed.

e: Sources say early 1920s

Megabound fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 27, 2017

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
So as it turns out, pens are like pipes to me. I'm up to 4 now, though 2 of them require repairs before they can actually be used. I think I'm going to enjoy hitting up all my normal junk shops for pens now instead of just pipes.

What's the thought on inkwells? A friend of mine is a ceramicist and suggested he would like to make me an inkwell, I think it would be fine and cool to have a custom inkwell. even if I don't use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

And this is why you practice grinding nibs on cheap pens before you touch anything valuable, kiddies. Christ, it looks like it was ground by dragging it behind a pickup truck going down the highway.