Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Senor P. posted:

I'm not going to hold my breath. There was Gupta-gate and he survived that.

After the NWC meeting and Mantashe coming out accepting Zuma's firing of Gordhan directly and Ramaphosa seemingly willingly taking the blame for cancelling the Kathrada memorial I think Zuma has shown he is still v much in charge of the party, the letter from the Integrity Committee that was circulating calling on Zuma to resign was also subsequently withdrawn after members of the committee said it was drafted without their consultation.

So with Zuma's hands firmly back on the reigns I don't think there's gong to a widespread revolt from ANC MPs come vote time, even with the pressure from the marches.

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
The war nerd podcast was talking about massacres in the Kasai province in Congo. Anyone in the thread know much about it?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Possibly a stupid question, apologies. I'm travelling in southern Africa for my first time and now in Mozambique. When I was in South Africa pretty much every white person didn't like Zuma. That's fine,he isn't great. My question is that they with only one exception called him a baboon and several suggested his head was like a butternut. Is there anyway that isn't racist? Being from the UK that sounds massively so, but I might just be hearing things.

Intriguing talking to the locals. A farmer in his 60s that I stayed with was fast to assure me that a war was coming in the next couple of years as the whites finally rise up to fight against the Blacks.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sad Panda posted:

Possibly a stupid question, apologies. I'm travelling in southern Africa for my first time and now in Mozambique. When I was in South Africa pretty much every white person didn't like Zuma. That's fine,he isn't great. My question is that they with only one exception called him a baboon and several suggested his head was like a butternut. Is there anyway that isn't racist? Being from the UK that sounds massively so, but I might just be hearing things.

Intriguing talking to the locals. A farmer in his 60s that I stayed with was fast to assure me that a war was coming in the next couple of years as the whites finally rise up to fight against the Blacks.

Was the only one exception Breyten Breytenbach?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeDk6ZeGNnU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Sad Panda posted:

Calling Zuma a baboon/bobbejaan is 100% massively indefensible racist.

Butternut head not - the EFF in particular bring that up and have in the past carried around butternuts on sticks and Malema himself has joked about it, most of the editorial cartoonists in the country exaggerate zuma's head shape for comic effect. Though if they're calling Zuma a baboon in one breath and then mr butternut in the next that's well well dodgy

tekz posted:

The war nerd podcast was talking about massacres in the Kasai province in Congo. Anyone in the thread know much about it?

Here's a massive long read on the insurgency - Kasai is an opposition stronghold, throw in the current tumultuous political situation with Kabila clinging to power, local grievances and the death of a local chief in conflict with the government and you've got yourself a recipe for an insurgency.

https://www.crisisgroup.org/africa/central-africa/democratic-republic-congo/kamuina-nsapu-insurgency-adds-dangers-dr-congo

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Sad Panda posted:

White privilege is a hell of a drug.

Did you try talking to locals who weren't white? I mean, white South Africans are probably about 50/50 on the casual racism, depending on the area, but I think you would have heard more interesting and diverse opinions from a more diverse group of people.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Oh don't worry, I stayed with non-whites too. It was just that baboon comment was the most commonly heard one. I'm in Mozambique now, where it's lovely meeting South Africans who don't spend the whole time warning me that some bugger is going to kill me or steal my bicycle.

I'm sure I'll have more questions about this part of the world as I make my way slowly back to Joburg via the nearby countries maybe as far as Angola.

If there are suggestions for reading materials (ones with audiobook preferred as I have so many hours a day to listen) about the area in general or must reads about a place in particular is love to hear.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't ran into any openly racist whitey in SA, though I'm sure there are plenty of them. Probably depends on who exactly you talk to, as always, but I did speak with a middle-class hostel operator and some workers travelling to install solar panels or some poo poo. "Farmer in his 60s" sounds like it would be the most racist demographic in any country, pretty much.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Sad Panda posted:

Oh don't worry, I stayed with non-whites too. It was just that baboon comment was the most commonly heard one. I'm in Mozambique now, where it's lovely meeting South Africans who don't spend the whole time warning me that some bugger is going to kill me or steal my bicycle.

I'm sure I'll have more questions about this part of the world as I make my way slowly back to Joburg via the nearby countries maybe as far as Angola.

If there are suggestions for reading materials (ones with audiobook preferred as I have so many hours a day to listen) about the area in general or must reads about a place in particular is love to hear.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3664178-dark-continent-my-black-arse

He's a bit of a sexist rear end in a top hat, but it's good to read a travelogue written from a black perspective. Also he's from my home town.

Long Walk to Freedom (Mandela autobiography) is a great read too.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3664178-dark-continent-my-black-arse

He's a bit of a sexist rear end in a top hat, but it's good to read a travelogue written from a black perspective. Also he's from my home town.

Long Walk to Freedom (Mandela autobiography) is a great read too.

Perfect, I'll definitely give that first one a look. Being me (tall, white, British male) colours my travels so much it's great to read from such a perspective.

Long Walk to Freedom - abridged or unabridged? Abridged is 6 hours, unabridged 27:40.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Sad Panda posted:

Perfect, I'll definitely give that first one a look. Being me (tall, white, British male) colours my travels so much it's great to read from such a perspective.

Long Walk to Freedom - abridged or unabridged? Abridged is 6 hours, unabridged 27:40.

Get the unabridged. The prose is beautiful and engrossing; I'd imagine that'd translate well to audio.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is there any reasons for white South Africans to be so tense against Zuma and black South Africans besides blatant racism?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sad Panda posted:

Hey, you're back on the road! Congrats and I'm super jealous. Did you come all the way down East Africa?

What are your plans after possibly Angola, heading up the west coast? It's probably paved and traverse-able the whole way to Port Harcourt.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is there any reasons for white South Africans to be so tense against Zuma and black South Africans besides blatant racism?

A quick google suggests that Zuma is viewed unfavorably, albeit less unfavorably, by black South Africans, so while there's probably some racism involved, there are probably legitimate reasons to dislike/criticize Zuma too. I don't know the ins and outs of the situation enough to comment beyond that, though.

It's still unacceptable for whites to frame their criticism in racist terms regardless, mind you.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

punk rebel ecks posted:

Zuma is the best more blatant example of corruption, so if you have something against that I guess you can be tense without blaming it on racism.
The fact that his own party has done everything just short of actually impeaching Zuma should tell you something. Though they are also a bunch of idiots and believe in party over country so take their condemnations with a grain of salt.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sad Panda posted:

Diamonds, Gold and War is a pretty good historical book about the origins of Europeans in South Africa and how the discovery of diamonds and gold pretty much lead to a lot of fighting between the boers and the Brits with a lot of Africans caught in the middle.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

There are legit reasons to be concerned about Zuma, but a lot of the way those are framed from white South Africans comes across as pretty racist. As for being tense about black South Africans, it's basically the same thing as white Americans crossing the street to avoid African Americans (ie straight-up racism).

As I said earlier, white privilege (aka white supremacy) is a hell of a drug, and a lot of white South Africans react very poorly to even the suggestion that some of that should be taken away and distributed more fairly. This attitude is quite racist, but it's probably easier to persuade a heroine addict to go cold turkey than to persuade the average super-privileged white South African of that.

Basically this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8AEwiDRYf8

* Obviously this is not universal, but it is pervasive.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Happy Freedom Day, thread!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Day_(South_Africa)

:toot:

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Aliquid posted:

Hey, you're back on the road! Congrats and I'm super jealous. Did you come all the way down East Africa?

What are your plans after possibly Angola, heading up the west coast? It's probably paved and traverse-able the whole way to Port Harcourt.

I did not, no. I got a cheap return flight to Joburg from the UK. 7 months for £220 so a loop in SA/Swazi/Moz/Zam/Zim/Botswana/Nam/SA/Lesotho before I have to get to Joburg at the end of October. Congo visa a pain in the arse, Angola would be feasible but only 7 months would make it a rush.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-39799961

quote:

Security forces on patrol came across a vehicle blocking the road and, thinking it was being driven by militants, opened fire, police Major Nur Hussein told Reuters news agency.
Mr Abas was killed "by mistake - they opened fire on his car accidentally. May God rest his soul", Mogadishu mayoral spokesman Abdifatah Omar Halane was quoted as saying.
President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed Farmajo said he had ordered security chiefs to "immediately get to the bottom of this unfortunate tragedy" and make sure the perpetrators were "brought to book".

Find the book and throw it down a well.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I hear that a lot of these African countries, including South Africa, have extremely high levels of unemployment. However I also believe that they don't have any kind of welfare system. How exactly do these people survive without money coming in from a job or the government?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I hear that a lot of these African countries, including South Africa, have extremely high levels of unemployment. However I also believe that they don't have any kind of welfare system. How exactly do these people survive without money coming in from a job or the government?

South Africa has a fairly well-established social welfare system, with extensive (but cheap) government housing being built, basic amounts of electricity and water free, and (very modest) income grants to cover food.

Also "these countries" ... "these people" ?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Also "these countries" ... "these people" ?

:rolleyes:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

lollontee posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-39799961

Find the book and throw it down a well.

I mean, accidents happen.

Especially to rising stars with substantial control over a buttload of federal money.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Also just a note from that week's worth of groceries photo series:

Mali:

Chad:

You can live off rice and beans for a long time if you really have to. It can be a lovely existence, and doesn't speak to the meeting of other needs (e.g. access to education or medical services), but it is "surviving".

It's also traditional for families to share resources, even across generations, so one employed person may be feeding 15 other people.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I see. I guess being from a highly developed nation we tend to forget how little we can technically survive on.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Subsistence farming, corruption, organized crime or general black market activity. It's when all of these options fail that you get starvation, emigration and civil war.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-k...SKCN1BC4A5?il=0

:piss:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Which is interesting, because international observers said everything seemed OK.

So were they wrong? Did the court know something they didn't? Or did they take this step knowing that the opposition would never accept the results, and just have another election in an effort to avoid violence?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

So far the court has just annulled the result as the election violated the constitution but haven't given an indicator as to what those violations actually were. And they won't release those findings for 21 days.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Mozi posted:

Which is interesting, because international observers said everything seemed OK.

So were they wrong? Did the court know something they didn't? Or did they take this step knowing that the opposition would never accept the results, and just have another election in an effort to avoid violence?

The case hinged on accusations of irregularities with the electronic transmission of individual polling station results to the central electoral commission (the opposition contested that their servers had been compromised)

The court ordered the commission to open their servers to scrutiny and apparently the limited access provided did show some irregularities with missing signatures with stored copies of individual forms from polling stations.

So the actual counting and voting is considered generally sound (what observers where monitoring) and the opposition has been contesting that their constituency level counts did not match the final declared numbers.

Interestingly the short form of the judgement which was released stressed they found no evidence of illegality on the part of Jubilee but the issue was purely with irregularities with the electoral commissions procedures.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mugabe why are you still alive?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Grouchio posted:

The Just-world Hypothesis of national leaders.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Grouchio posted:

The good die young.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Grouchio posted:

As long as those shitbag settlers keep trying to retake their formerly stolen land, he has work to do

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Does anyone know the history of the word baboon in Afrikaans here in SA? I'm just wondering cos when I've mentioned baboon being a word that shouldn't be used for describing others (Zuma in particular) I've been told that it's not racist and it just comes from baboons being stupid animals and is used about people irrespective of their race.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Sad Panda posted:

Does anyone know the history of the word baboon in Afrikaans here in SA? I'm just wondering cos when I've mentioned baboon being a word that shouldn't be used for describing others (Zuma in particular) I've been told that it's not racist and it just comes from baboons being stupid animals and is used about people irrespective of their race.

Um the reason why it's not OK for a white person to call a black person an ape has nothing to do with the etymology of the word for baboon in either English or Afrikaans.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

And yes it is racist as gently caress, and has a long history of being racist as gently caress, and the racists who told you that it isn't are morons on top of their racism.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

And yes it is racist as gently caress, and has a long history of being racist as gently caress, and the racists who told you that it isn't are morons on top of their racism.

Different words have different connotations in different languages. In the US, there's a long history of racist cartoons and hate speech that portrayed African Americans as apes, and that's why it's a racially charged term today. For instance, dog is a nasty thing to call someone, but there's no racist connotation with it because that's not a line people tried to draw historically. But if they had, and dog was a common slur for black people, calling anyone a dog today would have a whole different meaning. And if there was a society in which dog had a history as a racial slur, I'm sure that society would be appalled at people from another society not recognizing that context.

That said, "ape" is a common one across multiple languages, and South Africa and the US have very similar histories re: race.

quote:

On January 26, 1990, a heartbeat ago in historical terms, a father took his son to a cricket match. During the lunch interval, they paused on a grass bank behind a chain-link fence and watched riot police set dogs on protesters.

It was a pleasantly warm day. From the verdant plateau of the De Beers Diamond Oval in Kimberley, the father looked down on to a dusty plain, where 3,000 fellow human beings choked on teargas and stampeded for safety. “Look,” he said to the boy, “Baboons. They’re baboons.”

I thought of that man when Mandela passed away. His blind, bitter prejudice, given additional toxicity by the trust in the eyes of his son, remains my most haunting memory of the second, and last, England rebel cricket tour of South Africa.

It's definitely a leftover term from apartheid.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The sa courts have confirmed a couple of times that yes calling a black person a baboon is hate speech and even struck down the defence "gosh gee I didn't know black people thought it was racist!" as being outright unbelievable.

Ask your friend if he would call one of his black friends a bobbejaan to their face. The answer will probably be hilarious.