Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

BadOptics posted:

:same: Some games I'll pre-order the dlc and others I'll wait. Really depends on the game/dev/how much I've been playing said game.

Pre-ordering/pre-loading is great for when I want a large game to download ahead of time, or for steam to automatically have something ready for me by the time I get home. Unfortunately Steam doesn't always want to cooperate and won't do something until I'm there to give it a slap in the back of the head. That hasn't stopped me from pre-ordering poo poo when I know there's no benefit to doing so with physical media being a thing of the past.

A super fair and unbiased source, to be sure.

Zesty posted:

Tell me more about how you hang out with young teens.
It's pretty great - what else is there to know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
wiz please be more unbiased about the game you are making

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Soup du Jour posted:

https://twitter.com/martin_anward/status/910268878420357120

Actually, Wiz, Stellaris is garbage and can never be fixed

(but really I'm super excited to play 1.8 and to see what they have planned next)

In 2.0 both space and ground combat will see a massive overhaul. Cruiser hulls will be made slightly more expensive and battleships will be limited to 1 per fleet. Ground troop upgrades will be removed and replaced with a unit designer with 12 slots.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cease to Hope posted:

wiz please be more unbiased about the game you are making

Shut up nerd.

Stellaris is cool and good and it's gonna get cooler and gooder so loving deal with it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Wiz posted:

Shut up nerd.

Stellaris is cool and good and it's gonna get cooler and gooder so loving deal with it.

Release it early and stop hogging all the stellaris

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Wiz posted:

Shut up nerd.

:hai:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Videos like this are just too much (spoilers if you care)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkDRKB4HAYc

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 20, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wiz posted:

Shut up nerd.

I'm going to take this with a grain of salt until LordMune weighs in.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Is there a dang Legend of the Galactic Heroes mod yet

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Average Bear posted:

Yes

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Bloody Pom posted:

I kinda wish they weren't dead set on each hull size having a specific AI behaviour. The new corvette/missile-interceptor AI for destroyers is going to render their artillery core kinda useless.

Yeah the one-behaviour thing is kind of a problem and doesn't mesh with the sections having (at least on paper) different use cases. I think eventually if we do get a fleet designer it'll get fixed one way or another. Until then, computer slots being a thing means mods can stop gap fix it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Average Bear posted:

Only thing it's missing is music.

No Space Battleship Yamato mods yet though :(

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Psycho Landlord posted:

There's a classical music mod on the workshop that specifically includes tracks featured in LoGH.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

LordMune posted:

Pre-order through Paradoxplaza to buy Johan, not Gaben, a bigger yacht. Please

Okay.

PittTheElder posted:

Why on Earth do people want to preorder a DLC? It's not like you get it any sooner, or get any free stuff.

To express my interest, trust, and gratitude.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Wiz posted:

Shut up nerd.

I'll deal with it when you give me the Stellaris

PRESS THE loving BUTTON ALREADY just blame the C:S devs or something "Oh yeah Mariina was visiting to discuss the direction to take Skylines for the next couple of DLCs and being Finnish she just stumbled around drunkenly and accidentally hit 'Release' so Synthetic Dawn was released so was the news we're making Rome 2 and Vicky 3."

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 20, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wiz posted:

Shut up nerd.

LET ME PREORDER YOUR EXPANSION, SPACE NERD. :argh:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

If you think $10 is too much for a DLC pack with this amount of content in it then you're either a cheapskate or in dire straits.

I've seen indie games sell their soundtracks for more, for gently caress's sake.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

If you think $10 is too much for a DLC pack with this amount of content in it then you're either a cheapskate or in dire straits.

I've seen indie games sell their soundtracks for more, for gently caress's sake.

Yes, but music is art unlike video games.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Psycho Landlord posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=935337268

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

I'll deal with it when you give me the Stellaris

PRESS THE loving BUTTON ALREADY just blame the C:S devs or something "Oh yeah Mariina was visiting to discuss the direction to take Skylines for the next couple of DLCs and being Finnish she just stumbled around drunkenly and accidentally hit 'Release' so Synthetic Dawn was released so was the news we're making Rome 2 and Vicky 3."

Amen. You know what I could be doing right now? Playing Stellaris 1.8. You know what I will be doing on Friday and this weekend? Agonizing over Stellaris or the new Guild Wars 2 expansion. Bad timing Wiz, but you can fix it right now.

nessin fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 20, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

While I'm happy this exists and immediately subscribed to it, I'm a little sad you weren't proving me wrong about the second point.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I tried making an account on paradoxplaza but it doesn't do anything after I click on 'create account'. I guess paradox doesn't want me to buy directly from them? :shrug:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Away all Goats posted:

I tried making an account on paradoxplaza but it doesn't do anything after I click on 'create account'. I guess paradox doesn't want me to buy directly from them? :shrug:
Same happened to me. It's a bug but I'm pretty sure it means you already have an account...

edit: never mind. No email received, and the "forgot password" feature says to check your email no matter what you type in there.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 20, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

nessin posted:

Amen. You know what I could be doing right now? Playing Stellaris 1.8. You know what I will be doing on Friday and this weekend? Agonizing over Stellaris or the new Guild Wars 2 expansion. Bad timing Wiz, but you can fix it right now.

I agree, Paradox should delay the update for 1d100 days.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Relevant Tangent posted:

I agree, Paradox should delay the update for 1d100 days.

and rolling a 1 will be a critical failure :argh:

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
So I've played Stellaris a bit and I've been invited to play with some friends this weekend to celebrate the new expansion. Question: If I build a machine empire that cannibalizes biologicals will I be able to ally with them if they're bio or will that rule stay in force?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Libluini posted:

As fascinating as this troll-off over SR2 is, I have a far more important question: Are there any extra goodies for pre-ordering Synthetic Dawn? I'm always a sucker for companies giving out free stuff if you pre-order their stuff.

If not, it's OK, too! In that case I'll just patiently wait a couple days more! It's fine!

I pre-ordered off the Pdx store and it gave me two copies of the DLC?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Soup du Jour posted:

https://twitter.com/martin_anward/status/910268878420357120

Actually, Wiz, Stellaris is garbage and can never be fixed

(but really I'm super excited to play 1.8 and to see what they have planned next)

Wiz's fun is making things anti-fun. Preorder cancelled.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

V for Vegas posted:

I pre-ordered off the Pdx store and it gave me two copies of the DLC?

One's for Steam, one's if you bought Stellaris direct originally.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Mulloy posted:

So I've played Stellaris a bit and I've been invited to play with some friends this weekend to celebrate the new expansion. Question: If I build a machine empire that cannibalizes biologicals will I be able to ally with them if they're bio or will that rule stay in force?

If you mean the assimilators, they have a pretty hefty opinion malus that will make alliances hard. The extrerminator ones can't do diplomacy at all.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Splicer posted:

I'm going to take this with a grain of salt until LordMune weighs in.
Stellaris has come a long way since its 6.3/10 from IGN, I'm going to have to defer to Wiz on this one

(Don't play any version before 1.8 though lmao, literally unplayable)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

nessin posted:

:same:

A Bug posted:

If you mean the assimilators, they have a pretty hefty opinion malus that will make alliances hard. The exterminator ones can't do diplomacy at all.

And I highly recommend against picking a diplomacy disabled civic for your first run, because it'll mean everybody is super loving keen on murdering your rear end, real easy to get dogpiled if you don't know what you're doing. There's nothing stopping you from just playing the same way without the civics either.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 20, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://twitter.com/ShitpostBot5000/status/910390608933654528

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

I too like meta humor

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

hobbesmaster posted:

Videos like this are just too much (spoilers if you care)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?jkDRKB4HAYc

Videos like what? The link given leads to 'video does not exist. Recheck the link, maybe?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

LordMune posted:

Stellaris has come a long way since its 6.3/10 from IGN, I'm going to have to defer to Wiz on this one

(Don't play any version before 1.8 though lmao, literally unplayable)

Lol was that what it got from IGN? Man Paradox sucks, I'm going to uninstall.

That being said 6/10 is probably a fair score for Stellaris 1.0, good ideas but fairly thin on content and some stuff clearly didn't have the desired effects on the game.

After 1.8 and without the DLC though I reckon it's probably only gone up to a 7/10, and the reason I say that is because I think a lot of the content I enjoy in the mid and late game comes from Leviathans and Utopia. Then while 1.8 looks like it will bring in lots of individual changes that address some key bug bears the really cool bit is the robot empires.

I think as long as war is genuinely a chore beyond the early game and as long as diplomacy mainly feels static and pointless outside of 1) big blocs of defensive pacts and 2) ganging up on people as a Federation i would struggle to give it more than 7/10 despite having put like 1,000 hours into the game.

Luckily we know these are on the to do list, so I'm pretty jealous that future me is probably already playing 9/10 Stellaris while I'm stuck with 7/10 Stellaris

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

as a guy with the tiniest budget ever how much is the new dlc? I went to the steam page to see and it doesn't have a price? I guess I am glad its free, that fits in my budget.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's 10 dollars / euros on the paradox store.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
God damnit I just came back after a long absence from Stellaris and now I want to play the version of it that I can't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

God damnit I just came back after a long absence from Stellaris and now I want to play the version of it that I can't have.

Release is literally tomorrow

• Locked thread