Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Sprint's been pretty good for me these days in terms of reception on the West Coast (most of my experience being LA and Seattle, but I've had no problems in the bay area as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Sprint is good in KC, for obvious reasons.

I last had an LG G4 that did the usual pants making GBS threads and got a refurb from LG since it decided to die in less than 12 months. Is there any way to activate this loving thing and avoid paying another activation fee for a phone I already paid this poo poo on?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

RodShaft posted:

There's no root for it apparently. I tried foxfi and pdanet for tablets and I can connect them(over Bluetooth) and browse the internet. But Pokemon Go says there's no internet connection when i try to use that. Any ideas?

That's a tricky one. The way Pokémon Go works to avoid rooted devices might have some other things that keep it from working over a sort of Proxy but I am completely guessing on that here. I also haven't played GO in months so can't help much there either. Sorry.

LiquidFriend posted:

Sprint is good in KC, for obvious reasons.

I last had an LG G4 that did the usual pants making GBS threads and got a refurb from LG since it decided to die in less than 12 months. Is there any way to activate this loving thing and avoid paying another activation fee for a phone I already paid this poo poo on?

You should be able to activate a phone from LG for free. The only time you pay an activation fee is when you buy the phone from Sprint themselves. Why this is I haven't a friggin clue but its a thing all of them do and is stupid as hell.

I've activated over 10 phones on Sprint for various reasons and while they sometimes try to say I need to upgrade my plan (From SERO 500 with Premium+LTE) to SERO Unlimited or whatever they call it, I say Nope, and they usually don't bother to argue and just activate and be done with it.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 17, 2017

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Does anyone know if the freedom plan has international roaming? The store employee didn't know. My wife travels for work and we have sero and we apparently have it with our plan, but are thinking of switching to the freedom plan because with our work discounts it would be $90 a month instead of $100 and we'd get tethering. But the international roaming thing is a deal breaker.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

I have the SERO Premium 500 plan and decided to upgrade to the iPhone 8. It's been about 3 1/2 years since my last upgrade. Do I still need to activate it over the phone with the SERO sales line, or can I do it online?

If I need to call to activate, is the number the same as the one in the OP? (888 882 4030) Or has it changed?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I'm on sero and use a fair bit of data.

As it stands I can't use my phone as a wifi hotspot and REALLY want to. What are the pros and cons of switching to the freedom plan? According to the store guy out would be cheaper with my work discount(if i brought my wife over) and have Wi-Fi hotspot.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

heavy liquid posted:

I have the SERO Premium 500 plan and decided to upgrade to the iPhone 8. It's been about 3 1/2 years since my last upgrade. Do I still need to activate it over the phone with the SERO sales line, or can I do it online?

If I need to call to activate, is the number the same as the one in the OP? (888 882 4030) Or has it changed?
The correct number for SERO activations is 866-264-1282. Most likely you're going to need to call in to stay on the same plan. Last time I tried to activate a phone online it tried to move me to SERO Unlimited so called in and got it activated with no plan change.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

RodShaft posted:

As it stands I can't use my phone as a wifi hotspot and REALLY want to. What are the pros and cons of switching to the freedom plan? According to the store guy out would be cheaper with my work discount(if i brought my wife over) and have Wi-Fi hotspot.

We'll just remember the hotspot data isn't unlimited, just your standard data.

And be careful about work discounts - I was set to dump SERO for Unlimited earlier in the year because I calculated it to be cheaper with my work 20% discount, but I found out shortly before I pulled the trigger that for Unlimited the discount maxed out at like $5, regardless of work percentage.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

RodShaft posted:

If you can Root your phone, its a single edit to the build.prop to enable unlimited tethering on the device itself. Been able to do that for literally years.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
If I were to get the Note 8 now I'd pay my SERO monthly rate plus the monthly lease fee, correct?

That would push my monthly bill close to $100.

I'm coming up on 2 year contract with my Note 5 being up. No more 2 year contracts.

I'm not paying $1000 out of pocket for a Note8

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Medullah posted:

We'll just remember the hotspot data isn't unlimited, just your standard data.

And be careful about work discounts - I was set to dump SERO for Unlimited earlier in the year because I calculated it to be cheaper with my work 20% discount, but I found out shortly before I pulled the trigger that for Unlimited the discount maxed out at like $5, regardless of work percentage.

By my maths...
65 for first line
45 second line

-5 per line auto pay discount
-5 per line work discount

90 total pre tax

Right now we pay 100 for 2 seros.

I'm not worried about hotspot being unlimited. Im just going to be using it for my son to Patti pokemon. All my other phones could do it easily, rooted or not could so I was surprised.

EdEddnEddy posted:

If you can Root your phone, its a single edit to the build.prop to enable unlimited tethering on the device itself. Been able to do that for literally years.

There's no root for the LG G6. :smith:

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

McPhearson posted:

The correct number for SERO activations is 866-264-1282. Most likely you're going to need to call in to stay on the same plan. Last time I tried to activate a phone online it tried to move me to SERO Unlimited so called in and got it activated with no plan change.

Perfect, thanks so much! I had 4 different numbers for SERO written down, and wasn't sure which was the correct one.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

So win Sprint you can't just swap a SIM and have the phone be active? I have an iPhone 6s and wanted to try a Galaxy S8 I had in my possession, swapped the sim and it failed to activate.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So win Sprint you can't just swap a SIM and have the phone be active? I have an iPhone 6s and wanted to try a Galaxy S8 I had in my possession, swapped the sim and it failed to activate.

https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/device/activate-your-new-phone.html

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea that is one big bummer with Sprint. It's not too hard to get around, but it is a hassle when you just wanna swap phones (and might be on a plan they want to get you off of like us SERO users).

The new leaks about Sprint and T-Mobile merging again sounds interesting. Probably going to screw us on SERO, but the combined tower coverage should make for one of the strongest networks around after I would hope. Except maybe some of the rural areas that have always been Verizons bag.

Rob was taken
Mar 8, 2006
I just activated an iPhone 8 through the chat function and the agent was able to do it without switching me from SERO.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tiny Lowtax posted:

After having sprint for free for three months, I don't understand how anyone pays for this poo poo service. It's horrriiibbllleeeee. I live in the third most populated city in Michigan and work in the fourth, and the service is horrible. There's times literally nothing will load. Seriously how does this company still exist?

Yep. If I was paying for this I'd be super mad. But with it free, it's just good enough in Madison, WI that I won't go back to Verizon.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Yep. If I was paying for this I'd be super mad. But with it free, it's just good enough in Madison, WI that I won't go back to Verizon.

Rumors about sprint and T-Mobile merging. Please be true.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I bought a phone off eBay, and when I went to activate it they said that it was ineligible for transfer due to financial reasons and suggested I contact the seller and tell him to pay off his phone. I messaged him. But how long should I wait before opening a dispute if i don't hear back from him? According to his transaction history, he just bought a phone, so I'm sure it's an honest mistake.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

RodShaft posted:

I bought a phone off eBay, and when I went to activate it they said that it was ineligible for transfer due to financial reasons and suggested I contact the seller and tell him to pay off his phone. I messaged him. But how long should I wait before opening a dispute if i don't hear back from him? According to his transaction history, he just bought a phone, so I'm sure it's an honest mistake.

Open the dispute right away. You can always cancel it. Some people will try to string you along until the window to open a dispute is closed, and then you're screwed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Rumors about sprint and T-Mobile merging. Please be true.

Seriously, I think it would be really bad for T-Mobile. The networks aren't compatible, it would take years to combine the networks. A bad idea.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Duckman2008 posted:

Seriously, I think it would be really bad for T-Mobile. The networks aren't compatible, it would take years to combine the networks. A bad idea.

They could always do it Google Fi style! Works on both

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Duckman2008 posted:

Most recent Sprint phones will work on TMobile anyway, and generous incentives will take care of the legacy crap.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003
Ok, I've got two fully paid phones still on SERO 500, paying $50 a line. I'm finding myself in need of some mobile data for my new job, because the wifi at the extended stay where I am is horrible.

Is there any downside to the new unlimited plan that I'm not seeing? It looks like at $60 for the first line, and $40 for the second line, with 10 GB a line of hotspot data, and a $5 a line credit for autopay that SERO lines are eligible for, I'll come out way ahead of buying a mobile hotspot or paying $10 per GB to add hotspot to SERO.

I mean, if I could still get subsidized phones it might make sense, but I don't see how I lose out here. Unless I'm missing something.

The only alternative is to try to get my MSL from a CSR and try to use a hack I found to make the hot spot work for free, but that risks getting my account banned. I have a Note 5 and an S6, if it makes any difference. Still happy with both phones.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I believe the older SERO lines don't get throttled where any new line puts you under the newer definitions of "Unlimited" that are throttled at either after a certain usage amount, or when towers are loaded and you're a high user of sorts.

Not a major issue, but you never know when they can move that unlimited bar where on Sero 500, I have yet to hit any level of throttling outside of just crappy tower bandwidth in areas with slow towers.

I cannot confirm this completely, but I still am wary to leave SERO for SERO Unlimited as I don't talk on the phone enough to need more than 500 minutes, and with Root you can tether unlimited for free anyway.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah I'm on old sero and stream all day at work. Usually hit 50 gigs a month with no throttling.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

bigpolar posted:

Ok, I've got two fully paid phones still on SERO 500, paying $50 a line. I'm finding myself in need of some mobile data for my new job, because the wifi at the extended stay where I am is horrible.

Is there any downside to the new unlimited plan that I'm not seeing? It looks like at $60 for the first line, and $40 for the second line, with 10 GB a line of hotspot data, and a $5 a line credit for autopay that SERO lines are eligible for, I'll come out way ahead of buying a mobile hotspot or paying $10 per GB to add hotspot to SERO.

I mean, if I could still get subsidized phones it might make sense, but I don't see how I lose out here. Unless I'm missing something.

The only alternative is to try to get my MSL from a CSR and try to use a hack I found to make the hot spot work for free, but that risks getting my account banned. I have a Note 5 and an S6, if it makes any difference. Still happy with both phones.

I don't know if your phones allow rooting, and am too lazy to look it up, but if you can root one of them you can usually enable tethering, then you wouldn't have to change plans.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I don't know if your phones allow rooting, and am too lazy to look it up, but if you can root one of them you can usually enable tethering, then you wouldn't have to change plans.

Been doing it for over 10 years, starting with a touch pro, never had a problem. If they could tell, I would have been banned years ago I'm sure.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

I believe the older SERO lines don't get throttled where any new line puts you under the newer definitions of "Unlimited" that are throttled at either after a certain usage amount, or when towers are loaded and you're a high user of sorts.

Not a major issue, but you never know when they can move that unlimited bar where on Sero 500, I have yet to hit any level of throttling outside of just crappy tower bandwidth in areas with slow towers.

I cannot confirm this completely, but I still am wary to leave SERO for SERO Unlimited as I don't talk on the phone enough to need more than 500 minutes, and with Root you can tether unlimited for free anyway.

Yeah, I see the throttling disclaimer - 2g hotspot speeds after 10GB, and unspecified "deprioritized" data speeds after 23 GB. Which I'm sure can be changed to lower numbers later by a clause elsewhere in the contract. Looks like I try to get my MSL.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I just wish SERO had better Roaming. I don't really know exactly when it changed, but sometime I think around the "Free 1G and Unlimited International Roaming" option that they gave to users, I feel that was when SERO went from Unlimited 2G Data Roaming to only 300MB of 3G roaming. And when you run out, you have no data at all until it resets which was a real buzzkill while I was up visiting family in Alaska. Plenty of service, but so limited internet.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Unlimited Freedom has the same roaming restrictions, for what it's worth.

Whatever roaming level of service Sprint negotiated with Verizon is also complete and utter trash, but that's about what you'd expect.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea well if that is the case, I am never giving up SERO as long as I can.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003
Well, I got on chat and the CSR gave me the MSL for both lines just for asking. Was a lot easier than I was expecting. Didn't even have to give a reason for it.

Then I tried the simple hotspot hack and found out it was patched in the most recent OTA update. There is another multistep hack that involves downloading multiple programs and editing a lot of files. Not sure I'm going to do that.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003
Ended up just buying a sprint hotspot and plan from unlimitedville. Somehow sprint will sell 500GB unthrottled plans to a reseller that charges $99 a month, but they won't let me add it onto my plan and just use my phone. I don't know how they stay in business.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Welp, I can't do it anymore. Even free is too much for sprint. I'm switching back to T-Mobile. Sprint, you are horrible and need to die.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Welp, I can't do it anymore. Even free is too much for sprint. I'm switching back to T-Mobile. Sprint, you are horrible and need to die.

Yes, yes, let the hate flow through you. :getin:

9axle
Sep 6, 2009
Sprint has, after nearly 20 years of abuse broken me. I reupped in September, and added a line with an unlimited plan and leased 3phones. The bill is 140.00 more than it should be, due to the new phone being on its own plan. Several calls to customer service resulted in promises to merge the 2 and a credit for the overpayment. This never happened. Several trips to to various Sprint stores also resulted in assurances that this would be fixed, credits issued, billing corrected, and the end result is that nothing changed.

I am done with them, and just want to switch to a new carrier. My jailhouse lawyer skill have decided that their inability to fix this has resulted in a change of contract that I didn’t agree to, and therefore I won’t have to pay the etf. Am I correct, or am I screwed and stuck paying for this abortion? I understand I would have to turn in the phones, which I don’t have a problem with.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

9axle posted:

Sprint has, after nearly 20 years of abuse broken me. I reupped in September, and added a line with an unlimited plan and leased 3phones. The bill is 140.00 more than it should be, due to the new phone being on its own plan. Several calls to customer service resulted in promises to merge the 2 and a credit for the overpayment. This never happened. Several trips to to various Sprint stores also resulted in assurances that this would be fixed, credits issued, billing corrected, and the end result is that nothing changed.

I am done with them, and just want to switch to a new carrier. My jailhouse lawyer skill have decided that their inability to fix this has resulted in a change of contract that I didn’t agree to, and therefore I won’t have to pay the etf. Am I correct, or am I screwed and stuck paying for this abortion? I understand I would have to turn in the phones, which I don’t have a problem with.

I think if you call them up to cancel, you'll probably either end up getting it actually fixed, or you'll have to pay an ETF.

Good luck though.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

While irritating, this sort of scenario is in no way unique to Sprint alone. It's something I have seen and heard from all carriers at one point or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

What should the price for an unlimited plan with 2 lines cost?
Trying to figure out if I'm getting shafted too.