Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/910251338805760000

edit: dog tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Oh my word he loving didn't.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
Something just struck me.

If we ever get UHC in this county, Breaking Bad is not going to age well at all.

Seriously, imagine kids watching it in 30 years and asking "Why doesn't he just go get treated? Why does he need to make meth just because he has cancer?"

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm ok with this outcome.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Oh my word he loving didn't.

Fits with his platform though, which seems to be 'okay stuff' mixed with 'pure garbage'.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

twice burned ice posted:

If we ever get UHC in this county, Breaking Bad is not going to age well at all.

Seriously, imagine kids watching it in 30 years and asking "Why doesn't he just go get treated? Why does he need to make meth just because he has cancer?"

My recollection is that he wasn't making meth to fund his cancer treatment (at least at first), his initial decision was based on his assumption that he was going to die but wanted to leave a nest egg big enough to make his family comfortable.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Just FYI, Graham-Cassidy rearranges into

Acid harms gays

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

twice burned ice posted:

I guess European viewers of the show were confused by it too, since that sort of thing is impossible over there

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

twice burned ice posted:

Nah, that will age well because it's apropos of Breaking Bad's central theme: the mythos of the individual exceptionalism of the middle class white male American consuming itself. That the entire plot is set in motion by something entirely contrary to that self-perception, literally a situation he can not overcome and a society built around individual exceptionalism is not equipped to help him with, is intentional. This isn't some deep reading; I recall this being common water cooler talk when the show came out, although in a different tone because people were still viewing Walter as a tragic hero early on.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
the entire point of the show is that hes a smart white guy with connections whose business partners give him an out to a cushy gig where he'll make huge money and he rejects them out of hubris and a desire for some misguided revenge, endangering his family and destroying the lives of everyone who gets close to him and spinning webs of excuses because he won't confront that his problems are his own responsibility.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

The Muppets On PCP posted:

and then there's the mormons

They the ones in the FBI/CIA/other similar orgs? I seem to reading a post that mentioned that recently.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

berserker posted:

Acid harms gays

:aaaaa:

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Breakfast All Day posted:

Nah, that will age well because it's apropos of Breaking Bad's central theme: the mythos of the individual exceptionalism of the middle class white male American consuming itself. That the entire plot is set in motion by something entirely contrary to that self-perception, literally a situation he can not overcome and a society built around individual exceptionalism is not equipped to help him with, is intentional. This isn't some deep reading; I recall this being common water cooler talk when the show came out, although in a different tone because people were still viewing Walter as a tragic hero early on.

This is an interesting and good reading of the show.

But Jesus Chris where do work that that was water cooler conversation? I work with reasonably smart people but 13 Reasons Why is considered deep television around here.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

berserker posted:

Acid harms gays

Also, magic hydra rear end and sarcasm hid gay

Phayray fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 20, 2017

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Yeah, one of the smartest writing decisions Breaking Bad made was giving him an obvious financial out right off the bat (his ex-partners offering to fully pay for his treatment) and having him decline in, thus making it clear the show was all about his personal hubris and not an actual financial need.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Asimov posted:

e: Actually jet fuel may be complicated and not as easy to make less toxic, I am not an expert but unleaded airplane fuel where feasible seems like a good thing to encourage.

Jet fuel isnt complicated and it already is unleaded. Av Gas is what has lead, and is used by prop planes, not jets and turbo props. Most passanger planes are turbo or jets, so im not really sure what point your trying to make at all.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Breakfast All Day posted:

I'd say it's more about the follies of pride rather than one of class / race, though you can read it that way; Gus proves my point, I think.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Jet fuel isnt complicated and it already is unleaded. Av Gas is what has lead, and is used by prop planes, not jets and turbo props. Most passanger planes are turbo or jets, so im not really sure what point your trying to make at all.

leaded gasoline burns hotter; jet fuel has to be able to melt steel beams, therefore it is leaded to give the extra oomph to the fire.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 20, 2017

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

My ill-informed point is that we should strive to move toward unleaded Av Gas in the aeroplane industry in the way that the automobile industry has embraced unleaded gasoline. Glad that jet fuel is already on board. Let's try and use as clean and safe a fuel as reasonably possible; one that contains up to 10% ethanol and cannot melt steel beams. Someday.

Asimov fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 20, 2017

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Coal might be another big lead into atmosphere polluter. I have zero knowledge on lead in particular in coal but it's loving coal.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Coal is why there's mecury in fish.

Also coal releases more atomz than nuke plants.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

PhazonLink posted:

Coal is why there's mecury in fish.

Also coal releases more atomz than nuke plants.

Yeah you always hear about mercury but not lead in coal. Curious if anyone knows since the acceptable discharge limits for mercury and lead (pre-pruitt epa) are the same for water: if you can reliably detect it it's too much.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Asimov posted:

My ill-informed point is that we should strive to move toward unleaded Av Gas in the aeroplane industry in the way that the automobile industry has embraced unleaded gasoline.

100LL has already been slated for replacement for years and they're still working their way towards phasing it out. It'll probably be in the 2020s.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Party Plane Jones posted:

100LL has already been slated for replacement for years and they're still working their way towards phasing it out. It'll probably be in the 2020s.

And 100LL is already low lead, so it is being phased out. Really though most of the airports out there aren't putting out that much lead. Like I said, jet fuel is lead free, and turboprops are becoming more and more popular for even small utility planes like crop dusters. They're just way more efficient.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

I'd say it's more about the follies of pride rather than one of class / race, though you can read it that way; Gus proves my point, I think.

I'd go to the mat for it being more specific than just pride, to being the pride/hubris of the exceptionalism of white men in America as I said. I mean it's literally a boomer middle class white guy wreaking chaos in the world (mostly by exploiting and killing POC) just to live out a fantasy of power he felt he was promised, built off the labor of a millenial.

The entire early hook is a bit of a superiority fantasy, that someone "smart" (read: white middle class man) can suddenly disrupt an entire drug economy with their bootstrappy cleverness -- though the show is careful to temper the fantasy with reality just often enough to keep us mindful of the conceit. It's playing out the cliche of the driven American entrepreneur in an intentionally perverse way to question what the stereotype is really revering. And of course as the show goes on we stop viewing Walter's success as a product of superior ingenuity so much as one of pride (I'd prefer to call it something else because there's also an inherent superiority/exceptionalism), callousness, and indifference to consequences despite claiming to be motivated by supporting his family. Gus still works fine in this reading. The characters are great, but it always seemed to me to be clearly about the interplay of boomer/whiteness/millennial/collapse of American superpower myths surrounding the great recession. Of course those are even more relevant now, but differently amplified.

But I should stop derailing or make an effortthread now that it's been enough time that it might be possible to talk about the show on SA without it just being an endless stream of SKYLER IS SUCH A BITCH posts.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

oh. ok then.

Above article states that, in Shanghai at least, the primary source of lead in children's bloods due to coal combustion.

I think as far as sources of lead is concerned: gently caress coal.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mustached Demon posted:

oh. ok then.

Above article states that, in Shanghai at least, the primary source of lead in children's bloods due to coal combustion.

I think as far as sources of lead is concerned: gently caress coal.

Coal really does need to die for the health of the planet and all its people. I get the feeling that 100 years from now, people will look back on our current pro-coal policies and fetishization of the coal miner as a beacon of masculinity the same way we look back on leaded gasoline.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mcmagic posted:

It doesn't matter if it's politically possible in the near term. Democrats should be not cede'ing that ground.

I usually disagree on this sort of thing, but in this case he really ought to have been able to give a vague answer/not-answer. He IS a politician, isn't he?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Right to work laws are extremely popular, even among a portion of the population who otherwise support unions. The only reason a right-to-work Constitutional Amendment failed here last election cycle is because the argument that we already had a right to work law and an amendment wasn't necessary was fairly effective. It's not super great, but those are the facts on the ground; for whatever reason, Americans are more interested in simple arguments about fairness than complicated discussions about free-rider problems.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Democrats are so loving terrible at messaging. Why do they agree to use the phrase "right to work"? Nobody even blinks when Republicans say "death tax" instead of "estate tax".

Can they not afford even one Frank Luntz type rear end in a top hat to work on their side?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Who is to blame for the Democrats having poo poo charisma and drive? Are there any other firebrands besides Bernie and Ellison?
How hosed are we short/mid-term?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Inferior Third Season posted:

Democrats are so loving terrible at messaging. Why do they agree to use the phrase "right to work"? Nobody even blinks when Republicans say "death tax" instead of "estate tax".

Can they not afford even one Frank Luntz type rear end in a top hat to work on their side?

In fairness, the Democrats aren't the ones who get to coordinate with popular media outlets to ensure the term is driven into the public consciousness .

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Inferior Third Season posted:

We're less likely to notice successful Democratic/left-wing messaging taking hold because we already think in those terms. Like how even Republicans refer to DACA recipients as DREAMers, with all the positive connotations that term implies, or the widespread use of "nazi" to describe far-right groups like those at Charlottesville even though most of them aren't literal nazis or would describe themselves as such.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Acebuckeye13 posted:

In fairness, the Democrats aren't the ones who get to coordinate with popular media outlets to ensure the term is driven into the public consciousness .

It's common knowledge that liberals don't have any connections to the mainstream media.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 20, 2017

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

MizPiz posted:

It's common knowledge that liberals don't have any connections to the mainstream media.

Liberal media not interested in ending right to work laws? I'm shocked, I tell you.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Coal plants in developed countries have to capture their fly ash which is nice. The resulting ponds of concentrated heavy metal and radioisotope slurry aren't but it's better than all that poo poo gently falling back to earth.

Coal is bad.

Bonus fact: all the little nooks and crannies in fly ash particles are perfect places for a number of pathogenic viruses and bacteria to collect and travel.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

What about the other military academies? They got any weird poo poo like the Air Force academy?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

MizPiz posted:

It's common logic that liberals don't have any connections to the mainstream media.

The group that's been falling all over itself to Both Sides harder in the aftermath of Charlottesville? The set whose styleguide forbids reporting GOP lies as "lies", because we can't know if they're duplicitous or merely morons? Or perhaps you mean the portion that will dutifully transcribe officer involved shootings in the Passive Exonerative Tense, until video emerges to disprove the narrative?

Definitely the same thing as the talk radio/Fox News sphere.

Grouchio posted:

Who is to blame for the Democrats having poo poo charisma and drive? Are there any other firebrands besides Bernie and Ellison?
How hosed are we short/mid-term?
The DNC, the establishment, Hillary, DWS, and Wall Street, if I recall my Bad Dems Mantras correctly. "Firebrand" is a goalpost begging to be put on wheels, but many of the most effective Dem communicators are considered insufficiently pure: Booker (preemptive shutthefuckup Maj/mcmagic), Harris, Warren, Castro, Gabbard, and Franken.

This ignores, of course, that the national GOP has run McCain, :mitt:, Santorum, :smugdon:, Huck, and Cruz over the same period the Dems had Barack, Edwards, Sanders (and Hillary x2).

As far as Dem fuckedness goes: as of July they've recruited more than 200 legitimate challengers for GOP house seats (2009 GOP was at 78) and have won a slew of city/state level victories in purple and deep red districts, including the Manchester mayoral primary last night. You're already starting to see GOP resignations with heavy whispers more are on the way. It'll still take hard work, and not shooting themselves in the foot, but right now you're seeing a lot of the signs nationwide that presage a wave.

We'll have gridlock and an embattled executive if Dems retake the house. All bets are off if they grab the senate as well (holding all of their seats, and the riskiest are looking marginally safe, while grabbing AZ, NV, and at least one of TX, TN, or AL), though that scenario still appears unlikely. A Dem agenda is unlikely before 2021, but it's not as if we're staring down the barrel of a Rovian "Permanent Majority".

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

PhazonLink posted:

They the ones in the FBI/CIA/other similar orgs? I seem to reading a post that mentioned that recently.

The NSA.

The massive NSA Intel headquarters is in Utah and there was a scandal (but nothing illegal) involving the NSA asking the Mormon Church for hiring recommendations. The idea was that the Church would know who was trustworthy in the community and hiring multiple people who knew each other from the community would create incentives for people to stay in their jobs and not do anything that would risk their position.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

The group that's been falling all over itself to Both Sides harder in the aftermath of Charlottesville? The set whose styleguide forbids reporting GOP lies as "lies", because we can't know if they're duplicitous or merely morons? Or perhaps you mean the portion that will dutifully transcribe officer involved shootings in the Passive Exonerative Tense, until video emerges to disprove the narrative?

Definitely the same thing as the talk radio/Fox News sphere.

This drives me nuts. NPR is loving awful about it.

For example, this morning David Greene was interviewing Michèle Flournoy about Trump's speech to the general assembly and he asked about Trump calling Kim Jong Un Rocket Man, and threatening total destruction on North Korea. Instead of asking if this rhetoric is as ridiculous as it seems he asks "Isn't there an argument to be made that this kind of rhetoric can influence the regime to cease its nuclear testing?"

no no no NO NO NO.

Like, what is wrong with these people that they want to normalize loving everything. I feel like media organizations have an obligation to shout "this isn't loving normal" every time Trump says anything about foreign policy, not to pretend this is all part of the normal diplomatic process.

twice burned ice fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

"Human capital isn't actually a thing," - Forums Poster and Economic Genius Jizz Festival

• Locked thread