Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

everdave posted:

What are you looking for in a vehicle? Looking at a $9k 9 year old vehicle I'm kinda wanting to suggest you look into putting 5-9k down on something new in the 15k range.

The big things are AWD/4WD and either an SUV (preferable) or a truck. My real preference would be either a Subaru or Toyota but in my price range those tend to have have LOLMILES. This MKX has about 90k vs. upwards of 160k on some of the other stuff I looked at.

Like I said, this is replacing a 98 Accord and on a considerably earlier timeframe (by a good 1-2 years) than I was hoping so I'm actually going to be financing up to $10k with between 1-2k down (depends on what we end up with after the Accord's totaled out). Also, I prefer buying used vs. new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
$2300 (after tip) and 12 hours later, the majority of my things are now in the new house!

I have no loving clue how I managed to move everything by myself before... It took 3 very large dudes plus myself and a whole lot of pain to get me into the new place.
Granted, when I did it solo, I moved a little bit at a time over the course of a week, not everything in a 12 hour sprint.
Most of the stuff came straight off the truck and into the garage so I'm still gonna have to move it in later. But it's done.
Utilities are all set up, and I'm ready to get comfy.
Last night, I even got to sleep in my own bed for the first time in 5 months!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I found this thing on the road, so i took it, naturally. It's got a gearbox inside and a bunch of spiders/hornets. What is it, besides cool?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Steering wheel for a boat

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Gingerbread House Music posted:

I found this thing on the road, so i took it, naturally. It's got a gearbox inside and a bunch of spiders/hornets. What is it, besides cool?

I'm so sure I know exactly where this is from, I just can't quite remember...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:golfclap: Well played.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

rdb posted:

Steering wheel for a boat

That cupholder screams boat.

Time to make an airboat, dude.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Specifically for a center console boat. Its pretty close to the one on my flats boat, minus the (terribly cracked) windscreen and throttle controls. And storage cubbys for radios of the "mayday halp" and music variety.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Has UPS and fedex gone up in price recently in the US?
Ordering parts from the US to AU right now and it's even more pricey than usual. Two little suspension links* are $80-90 shipping with UPS.
In the past I've got medium size boxes from pelican parts for about $55 fedex. Also I often used FCPeuro because they were $40 UPS (and even only $70 for a huge heavy box with 4 control arms, sway bar links and steering - a full front suspension rebuild). Now fcpeuro want $90 US for two little rear pitman arms sent through UPS.
Pelican parts aren't even offering fedex shipping for them, just $65 USPS. Best deal I can get right now is a bav auto and it's still $57 USPS (or $90 UPS) The parts are cheaper there than pelican anyway.
So have prices gone up generally in the US, or have these shops just got a new bad deal with couriers for international freight or something?

* I can buy from ebay or local or other shops in europe for ~$20ea but they're all generic ones. If I want lemforder or meyle or a brand name for ~$30-40 I still have to buy from the US, (or local dealer OEM which would be $150ea)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 20, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Catching up on AI project threads is always a great reminder why this forum is so amazing. Trucks in a field, ridiculously huge motors in small cars, mindblowing metal work on an old van, Audis stacked in driveways, Jeeps of all kinds in various stages of disrepair, unexpected four door American muscle, Corvettes and Type R Integras, Ferraris and Lotus Europas, MR2's, enormous piles fo RX7's in a garage or in a field dependong on location let alone WRC.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Fo3 posted:

Ordering parts from the US to AU right now and it's even more pricey than usual. Two little suspension links* are $80-90 shipping with UPS.
In the past I've got medium size boxes from pelican parts for about $55 fedex. Also I often used FCPeuro because they were $40 UPS (and even only $70 for a huge heavy box with 4 control arms, sway bar links and steering - a full front suspension rebuild). Now fcpeuro want $90 US for two little rear pitman arms sent through UPS.
Pelican parts aren't even offering fedex shipping for them, just $65 USPS. Best deal I can get right now is a bav auto and it's still $57 USPS (or $90 UPS) The parts are cheaper there than pelican anyway.
So have prices gone up generally in the US, or have these shops just got a new bad deal with couriers for international freight or something?

* I can buy from ebay or local or other shops in europe for ~$20ea but they're all generic ones. If I want lemforder or meyle or a brand name for ~$30-40 I still have to buy from the US, (or local dealer OEM which would be $150ea)
Nothing significant that I know of, but if it isn't prime or someone with a flat shipping deal, I'll only get stuff shipped from the US if it's USPS due to horrific courier rates to Canada. Other than that and a must-have, I'll just duck across to my box and pick it up.

My guess is just companies trying to pad their profit margins with shipping and "handling"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

they can "handle" my balls

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

nah cuz theyre fragile hazardous and liquid

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I think you'd be upset with the outcome.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

they're oligarchs, morty, i dont respect them

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Look at the bitter person who chained himself to a corporation.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seminal Flu posted:

Look at the bitter person who chained himself to a corporation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-omR1rXcPrE

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I am giving some SERIOUS thought to redesigning my SASC-90 entry as Sneezy XL

For those who don't know SASC-90, please join us

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833227

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

slothrop posted:

I am giving some SERIOUS thought to redesigning my SASC-90 entry as Sneezy XL

For those who don't know SASC-90, please join us

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833227

also if u dont know what Sneezy XL is then get the gently caress out of mah face, bitch!!!

srsly though holy poo poo

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
it's a 45 horsepower with anti-lock brakes....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FwVYeeY1Ew

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
23 years ago I had a cassette tape of an album called "a real live one". 3 days ago my kid said he was afraid of the dark. For the last 3 days I have been going insane with the remembered song "fear of the dark" - solos and crowd chanting and singing with everything that makes it superior to the studio record version IMO. I haven't been able to get it out of my head, I remember it all.

I just had to listen to it again, hoping it would put an end to the madness in my head and put it to rest.
Now you have to as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlwANsLSaJk

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

Gas prices are going crazy cuckoo fuckass because some important parts of the American South were just obliterated by a vengeful God.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

:golfclap: Well played.

Perfect day for it too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Catching up on AI project threads is always a great reminder why this forum is so amazing. Trucks in a field, ridiculously huge motors in small cars, mindblowing metal work on an old van, Audis stacked in driveways, Jeeps of all kinds in various stages of disrepair, unexpected four door American muscle, Corvettes and Type R Integras, Ferraris and Lotus Europas, MR2's, enormous piles fo RX7's in a garage or in a field dependong on location let alone WRC.

Every available surface covered with Subarus...

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Darchangel posted:

Perfect day for it too.

Oh my sweet baby jesus, It's talk like a pirate day isn't it? I'd like to claim that but what a co-ink-i-dink

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Is anyone familiar with or have contacts with the Key Largo/Tavernier area? I have a friend down there who has lost everything and I am trying to get him supplies. Literally nothing he needs is available at the WalMart for me to purchase and him pick up today. Please let me know if anyone knows of anyone or resources, etc...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So I'm on a consultancy trip to another plant in France with a bunch of randos and the Russian continent have bought a translator with them and she's the cutest thing and pushing all my buttons so I'm trying to reign in the creep and focus on work, then she went and asked for my room number earlier which I ducked, then she mentioned really wanting to see the privilege suites (guess where I am) and we managed to convince the Russians to go to one particular restaurant and we went elsewhere and she said she was disappointed not to join us and why do I find Russian accents so loving sexy?

Basically why did life wait until I was very happily married before it started throwing gorgeous women at me?

Most important though hire car is a diesel manual fiat 500 with the worst throttle response around town.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
It's simple. When a person is in a relationship there's zero neediness. Like how you ducked the room number question, that is the opposite of needy. Would you have done that as a single man lol

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
It's a well known factoid:

Stick a ring on a man and he becomes irresistible to women.

Stick a ring on a woman and she becomes invisible to men.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

spog posted:

Stick a ring on a woman and she becomes invisible to men.

I know several women with dozens of stories each that would imply otherwise.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sounds like AI will have a new cakesmith handyman piss tape soon.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm gonna need you to ask local suppliers for a box about yay big. It'll need air holes.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

cakesmith handyman posted:

So I'm on a consultancy trip to another plant in France with a bunch of randos and the Russian continent have bought a translator with them and she's the cutest thing and pushing all my buttons so I'm trying to reign in the creep and focus on work, then she went and asked for my room number earlier which I ducked, then she mentioned really wanting to see the privilege suites (guess where I am) and we managed to convince the Russians to go to one particular restaurant and we went elsewhere and she said she was disappointed not to join us and why do I find Russian accents so loving sexy?

Basically why did life wait until I was very happily married before it started throwing gorgeous women at me?

Send her this way

InitialDave posted:

I'm gonna need you to ask local suppliers for a box about yay big. It'll need air holes.

How do y'all feel about the Eiffel Tower?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

We need a pic to gauge your standards.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Seminal Flu posted:

We need a pic to gauge your standards.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Enourmo posted:

I know several women with dozens of stories each that would imply otherwise.
Not an empty quote

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

cakesmith handyman posted:

Are you implying that you are not married to a gorgeous woman?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

New "me at ur posting":

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
LoL, my identity got thefted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

LoL, my identity got thefted.
Oh God, those poor bastards. Did they not know?

• Locked thread