Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zegermans posted:

yo so was Mello straight anti-choice or was he the Kerry/Biden "I don't like it but I'm not gonna legislate it" type

The second one from what I can remember, but it basically didn't matter to anyone actually arguing the issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

In the United States, chickens are associated with cooperation. This is why a lot of companies will bring in trained chickens for good luck on big projects. Chicken farmers actually make a lot of money with "chicken consultants" to boost morale.

should be ducks

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/910472242965962753

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

zegermans posted:

60 million people believe that ISIS was still gaining ground until January 20th. They gave credit to Trump for taking Mosul, the careful planning of which he openly mocked Obama for. The media will say this is a great foreign policy victory for Trump.

i wonder if it has dawned on obama yet that his blurb in the history books will be "first black president. generally considered ineffective." before several pages of trump

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

lol if ur dick doesnt get longer around other dudes

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Al! posted:

i wonder if it has dawned on obama yet that his blurb in the history books will be "first black president. generally considered ineffective." before several pages of trump

I might by neocon GWBushing but assuming right wing propaganda ever gets under control (LOL), I think he'll be seen as the guy who took us back from the brink with steady, bubble free (second LOL) growth. If Trump ever gets his plans through, we'll see like 5-6% growth for 2-3 years before we all die. His reelection depends on the bubble collapsing before or after 2020.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Al! posted:

i feel this is why he's so defensive over ACA and so apparently invested in it being perceived as The Ultimate Healthcare Fix. It's literally all he's got, and at the same time he's not content with the idea of it being "stepping stone" legislation.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

zegermans posted:

I might by neocon GWBushing but assuming right wing propaganda ever gets under control (LOL), I think he'll be seen as the guy who took us back from the brink with steady, bubble free (second LOL) growth. If Trump ever gets his plans through, we'll see like 5-6% growth for 2-3 years before we all die. His reelection depends on the bubble collapsing before or after 2020.

tell me, how much do you know about calvin cooledge

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

i feel this is why he's so defensive over ACA and so apparently invested in it being perceived as The Ultimate Healthcare Fix. It's literally all he's got, and at the same time he's not content with the idea of it being "stepping stone" legislation.

the funniest part about the ACA resistance is that when it passed they all screamed about how it couldn't work and it was a stepping stone to single payer, and then their constant kneecapping of the law accelerated that process by a decade.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey now, Obama was the first "tech" president, and will be the first human to be uploaded to the mothernode.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Al! posted:

more like calvin squaridge

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

obama basically had two choices re: the ACA coming out of his term in office: either frame it as an imperfect but important stepping stone on the way to making sure no one ever dies because they couldn't afford health insurance ever again and working to that end; or conduct a hollow PR campaign to make people think it wasn't lovely as gently caress in a whole lot of respects so as to protect his legacy while accomplishing nothing for anyone else

i dont think anyone in 2017 is surprised by the path he took, because it's the only path he's ever taken.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Duck genitalia be crazy, and Republicans get real angry when scientists study them

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/02/the-politics-of-funding-absurd-sounding-science/

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zegermans posted:

yo so was Mello straight anti-choice or was he the Kerry/Biden "I don't like it but I'm not gonna legislate it" type

https://www.thenation.com/article/why-was-heath-mello-thrown-under-the-bus/ posted:

In 2009, he co-sponsored a bill requiring a physician performing an abortion to tell a woman that an ultrasound is available... In 2010, he voted to ban abortions after 20 weeks and to introduce new screening requirements. In 2011, he voted to bar the health exchanges set up under the Affordable Care Act from funding abortions; supported a ban on using telemedicine to perform abortions; and voted to change a parental-notification requirement to one requiring parental consent.

In 2012, Mello voted with Planned Parenthood on two out of three bills tracked by the group—and was excused from voting on the third. After that, Mello, who had become the influential chair of the state legislature’s budget committee, voted with Planned Parenthood 100 percent of the time. By 2015, the group was celebrating a “fourth straight year…without enacting any new abortion restrictions in Nebraska, thanks largely to committed women’s health advocates engaged in the legislative process.”

In my opinion, it's legitimate to take issue with his record on abortion, provided that you raised exactly the same concerns about Tim Kaine's record over the same time period.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

lol birds with dicks are weird

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh Snapple! posted:

obama basically had two choices re: the ACA coming out of his term in office: either frame it as an imperfect but important stepping stone on the way to making sure no one ever dies because they couldn't afford health insurance ever again and working to that end; or conduct a hollow PR campaign to make people think it wasn't lovely as gently caress in a whole lot of respects so as to protect his legacy while accomplishing nothing for anyone else

i dont think anyone in 2017 is surprised by the path he took, because it's the only path he's ever taken.

And after he played it up the website crashed lol

"You know I like that they're calling it 'Obamacare' because I really do care."

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

that website is loving awful and I will never not dread having to use it

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

lol birds with dicks are weird

All chicks should have dicks imo

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Frijolero posted:

All chicks should have dicks imo

chicks dont have dicks and cocks dont have cocks p sure its only ducks that have a peen which is what make it so w e i r d

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
In my inbox this morning

quote:

EMAIL RECIPIENT--

It has been a joy to see so many of you during the first days of touring for "What Happened" and my new children's book, "It Takes a Village." Your smiles and stories warm my heart, and your promises to keep fighting inspire me. I'm looking forward to seeing many more of you over the next few weeks, across the country and even at home in our favorite independent bookstore in Chappaqua.

One thing I'm hearing over and over again is a question I've gotten a lot since the election: "How are you doing?"

The answer, EMAIL RECIPIENT, is that, as an American, I'm pretty concerned. But as a person, I'm okay. It's nice to be able to spend so much time at home with Bill and our dogs, and to catch up with friends I haven't seen in a while. I've even been doing a little gardening with our granddaughter -- Charlotte is particularly proud of our peas and peppers.

Last week, I had the opportunity to speak at a memorial service for Edie Windsor, whose Supreme Court case helped pave the way for marriage equality. Her service, much like her life, was a reminder that in the fight for a more perfect union, love will always be stronger than hate. I'll be thinking of Edie this week as we forge ahead in our own fight, and I hope you will, too.

Onward!

Hillary

P.S. Thank you to everyone who has made a donation to Onward Together, posted about it on Facebook, or talked to your friends about this team. I'm thrilled to share a little bit in the profile below about one of the groups that Onward Together has endorsed, Color of Change, and the work they're doing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

mister magpie posted:

In my inbox this morning

thanks for sharing, EMAIL RECIPIENT :)

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

thanks for sharing, EMAIL RECIPIENT :)

you are very welcome

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

*proudly pins medal on own lapel reading 'EMAIL RECIPIENT'*

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Do you think Maddie is still an email recipient?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hillary continuing to use dead women as political footballs.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Al! posted:

terse fella

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Joementum posted:

In my opinion, it's legitimate to take issue with his record on abortion, provided that you raised exactly the same concerns about Tim Kaine's record over the same time period.

so, strategic voting when it didn't matter, 180 when it did - except unlike Kaine who was governor, his votes didn't really matter.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i do not understand. this is how a human looks while walking.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Ah, 999, the Cain page.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

How is it that zuck looks like a fresh grad early 20's slob in every picture? I mean, with his billions you'd think he'd manage to buy some gravitas.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

he's a man of the people

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Calvin Cool-edge-edge

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Calvin Cool-edge-edge

calvin coolijudge

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

have we discussed itt that zuck literally keeps that haircut because he's obsessed with Augustus Caesar

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Jon Stewart or Dave Barry or Somebody posted:

President Calvin Coolidge was known as “Silent Cal” because of his extraordinarily laconic speech. A famous anecdote tells of a dinner party during which the person sitting adjacent to the Coolidge said: “Mr. President I’ve made a large bet that I would be able to make you say more than two words.” Coolidge considered this proposition carefully and then replied slowly and emphatically, “gently caress you.”

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

Clinton did not get enough credit for attempting to remove Tim Kaine from his position of having power over women's reproductive health and to place him in a ceremonial role where would he would have no power to harm women further

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

america the book owned for its time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Behitched/status/886439841356955648

• Locked thread