Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Standard would be in a pretty dire state if the rest of the field couldn't answer a mono red deck, of all things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Tubgoat posted:

It'd probably be okay to unban Snuggler's Copter now that Ligtning Strike and Abrade are both in the format. Right?

Not sure but I'm hearing a rumor that Reflector Mage will be unbanned on 9/29

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

whydirt posted:

Possibly, but I don't see WotC ever unbanning things in Standard given the controversy of any bannings in the format to begin with and that the card will rotate out eventually.

it isn't rotating out for an entire year.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
There's enough lifegain attached to incidental things, like Arborback Stomper surviving Abrade and giving 5, that might see work. Life Goes On's 8 life for G reminds me too much of Feed The Clans for me to completely ignore it.

Shame that Rampaging Ferocidon is a pretty good counterplay to that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There's enough lifegain attached to incidental things, like Arborback Stomper surviving Abrade and giving 5, that might see work. Life Goes On's 8 life for G reminds me too much of Feed The Clans for me to completely ignore it.

Shame that Rampaging Ferocidon is a pretty good counterplay to that.

The current mono red deck in standard isn't a burn deck that bad cards that gain you life are good against unless they are big and wide like Regal Caracal...

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

mcmagic posted:

The current mono red deck in standard isn't a burn deck that bad cards that gain you life are good against unless they are big and wide like Regal Caracal...

horses are relevant, but they lose a lot with gideon rotating out making them susceptible to Hour

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

gif Probst posted:

horses are relevant, but they lose a lot with gideon rotating out making them susceptible to Hour

Maybe but that is an entire archtype in itself, a pretty bad one. Caracal is a decent SB option against Red which is what I was referring to.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Tubgoat posted:

It'd probably be okay to unban Snuggler's Copter now that Ligtning Strike and Abrade are both in the format. Right?

My worry with that would be that monored could easily end up being the deck both best equipped to use it and best equipped to answer it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
That fake scavenging ooze dinosaur aint shabby as far as incidental lifegain goes and I'm pretty sure it's better than ranging raptor as a 3 drop

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

My worry with that would be that monored could easily end up being the deck both best equipped to use it and best equipped to answer it.

The problem is that every single deck that includes creatures is best equipped to use it

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I haven't enjoyed much Standard in the past decade, but I'm up for any environment where Regal Caracal is a good metagame choice. :catdrugs:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

I haven't enjoyed much Standard in the past decade, but I'm up for any environment where Regal Caracal is a good metagame choice. :catdrugs:

It was winning games out of the sideboard at the GP a few weeks ago.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

SB metagame choice...

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
gently caress that, Cat Tribal all the way

Play a turn one sacred cat and watch your Desert Red opponent cry

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I want to reiterate how good of a dude InterrupterJones is. The cards he sent me in return for bringing them out to him at the tournament are already here.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

gif Probst posted:

it isn't rotating out for an entire year.

A year is basically nothing on the timetable WotC works from.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The most braindead deck is obviously Robot Merfolk. Just play dudes and turn them sideways. Sometimes your opponent just loses because you have enough dudes and/or played Shaper's Sanctuary and they can't get rid of your guys.

Deck: UG Merfolk

//Lands
4 Botanical Sanctum
6 Forest
4 Hashep Oasis
6 Island
4 Unclaimed Territory

//Spells
4 Shapers' Sanctuary

//Creatures
4 Herald of Secret Streams
4 Kumena's Speaker
4 Merfolk Branchwalker
4 Metallic Mimic
4 River Sneak
4 Tishana's Wayfinder
4 Verdurous Gearhulk
4 Vineshaper Mystic

//Sideboard
2 Nissa, Steward of Elements
3 Aethersphere Harvester
2 Negate
3 Spell Pierce
2 Unsummon
1 Lifecrafter's Bestiary
2 Dissenter's Deliverance

Display deck statistics

A big flaming stink posted:

That fake scavenging ooze dinosaur aint shabby as far as incidental lifegain goes and I'm pretty sure it's better than ranging raptor as a 3 drop

That would depend on whether you were intending to ramp into Ballista and just shoot your opponent dead after you repeatedly shoot your raptor for ramp.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 20, 2017

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

That would depend on whether you were intending to ramp into Ballista and just shoot your opponent dead after you repeatedly shoot your raptor for ramp.

its really not worth contorting to make it fit. Honestly alot of builds of dinosaurs aren't even playing ballista, ripjaw is great without ballista (and ranging sucks without it so dont play it)

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

sit on my Facebook posted:

gently caress that, Cat Tribal all the way

Play a turn one sacred cat and watch your Desert Red opponent cry

having googled that card, what's so special about it?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Omar al-Bishie posted:

having googled that card, what's so special about it?

Nothing, it's bad. Best case scenario it soaks a couple attacks and gains you two life, worst case scenario it eats a magma spray.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

The most braindead deck is obviously Robot Merfolk. Just play dudes and turn them sideways. Sometimes your opponent just loses because you have enough dudes and/or played Shaper's Sanctuary and they can't get rid of your guys.

[b]Deck: UG Merfolk

I actually really like this. Thoughts on Deeproot Waters? I like the hexproof tokens with the +1/+1 subtheme, but does it detract too much from the playing dudes and turning them sideways plan?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

The Shortest Path posted:

Nothing, it's bad. Best case scenario it soaks a couple attacks and gains you two life, worst case scenario it eats a magma spray.

just wait till i cast it with metallic mimic in play, you'll see

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

The Shortest Path posted:

A lifelinking one drop that brings itself back is actually pretty backbreaking against 2/1 tribal if they don't have an out for it.

Of course they have like 8 ways to stop it from blocking so that's not the biggest obstacle to overcome.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Read the Blue limited review on CFB and U seems really decent but at the same time, I haven't felt confident enough to pick it in Sealed on xmage yet, it never seems to quite get there. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong things.

Also that reminds me that I have seen people say "Air Elemental is back in Standard now" when he has already been in Standard due to being printed in Welcome 2017. Just had to get that off my chest. :eng101:

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 20, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

tzirean posted:

I actually really like this. Thoughts on Deeproot Waters? I like the hexproof tokens with the +1/+1 subtheme, but does it detract too much from the playing dudes and turning them sideways plan?

I think it doesn't want to play that kind of card; it's the same reason you don't play Kopala either. Shaper's Sanctuary costs a single mana and stacks in multiples to refill your hand. The idea is play dudes, get them counters and then hopefully get Gearhulk or Secret Stream out so they just can't block anymore. There's almost certainly a build of this deck you could do with Itlamoc (or maybe even just Rishkar) that tries to go way bigger, e.g. playing Tishana or more likely, just dumping out Nissa, Steward of Elements with some ridiculous loyalty count to use her as a flying land fireball.

The game plan in this deck is almost certainly be on beatdown all of the time beyond the ideal first turn that has Shaper's Sanctuary in it, which sometimes is Spell Pierce if your opponent is playing something you actually need to interact with, e.g. they're playing sweepers that don't target you.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 20, 2017

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Speaking of Merfolk, it looks like Pat Chap's SCG article today hinted at him concluding that they're terrible. Anyone with SCG premium, what reasons does he give? I'm looking at the list posted above, and strongly considering running it for future FNMs just because it looks fun and easy to play.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is Shaper's Sanctuary likely Modern playable?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

InterrupterJones posted:

Speaking of Merfolk, it looks like Pat Chap's SCG article today hinted at him concluding that they're terrible. Anyone with SCG premium, what reasons does he give? I'm looking at the list posted above, and strongly considering running it for future FNMs just because it looks fun and easy to play.

I dunno if I'd go so far as to say they're terrible but after playing a few games with them on xmage they don't feel that great. You just have no interaction to speak of, at all. And your guys aren't really super strong at any point on the curve. Like, how does Merfolk beat glorybringer? Hazoret? Bristling Hydra? Torrential Gearhulk? The answer I've found so far is; you don't

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
The Hascon exclusive three card silver boarder set is now online for order for $30 a people are saying it comes out to just over $40 after tax and shipping.

https://www.hasbro.com/en-us/product/the-2017-magic-the-gathering-hascon-collection:5ADD1F4C-9012-4E1D-B698-ABA78F23D991

Posting in case anyone wants them for their cube, EDH, or casual deck

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dehtraen posted:

The Hascon exclusive three card silver boarder set is now online for order for $30 a people are saying it comes out to just over $40 after tax and shipping.

https://www.hasbro.com/en-us/product/the-2017-magic-the-gathering-hascon-collection:5ADD1F4C-9012-4E1D-B698-ABA78F23D991

Posting in case anyone wants them for their cube, EDH, or casual deck

Never in my life have I wanted so dumb for EDH.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Count Bleck posted:

Never in my life have I wanted so dumb for EDH.

My favorite part is how people were listing the cards online for $50-80 after getting them at Hascon.... and people were buying them.

Also - lol @ carnage tyrant preordering for $25 now

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 20, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dehtraen posted:

My favorite part is how people were listing the cards online for $50-80 after getting them at Hascon.... and people were buying them.

It's stupid convention scalper bullshittery. I've gotten more patient with just waiting for Things I Want after I started collecting Amiibo I liked.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I was going to order one and then I noticed 30$ shipping, lmaoh Canada

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I was going to order one but then

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Count Bleck posted:

I was going to order one but then

MTGO team doing web work for Hasbro confirmed

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I dunno if I'd go so far as to say they're terrible but after playing a few games with them on xmage they don't feel that great. You just have no interaction to speak of, at all. And your guys aren't really super strong at any point on the curve. Like, how does Merfolk beat glorybringer? Hazoret? Bristling Hydra? Torrential Gearhulk? The answer I've found so far is; you don't

You win before they cast it. You win by Turn 4 or so. Because 1 for 1 removal is horrible if Shaper's Sanctuary is on the battlefield.

Like, Torrential Gearhulk isn't a problem for that deck unless you mulligan to oblivion.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Yeah, it seems like it's a deck that gets stronger with its answers boarded in game 2. Ideally you just seem to race first game, and hope you hit Herald + Gearhulk and they stick one more turn.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is Shaper's Sanctuary likely Modern playable?

It is more flexible than Ancient Ziggurat, so it's quite possible. If Control gets too much more prevalent, though, tribal strategies may not be able to afford not having Cavern of Souls.

EDIT: What I meant to say was...maybe. Elves might like it, but Glimpse of Nature it is definitely not. (Pardon me being dumb and not realizing which card you meant.)

InterrupterJones fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 20, 2017

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

If someone is ordering one of these, or just wants to be a cool guy, I will pay postage from the US to Scotland plus kick a bit extra in, to avoid having to buy on ebay.

PM me and we can agree price.

e: "these" being the hascon cards

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

InterrupterJones posted:

Yeah, it seems like it's a deck that gets stronger with its answers boarded in game 2. Ideally you just seem to race first game, and hope you hit Herald + Gearhulk and they stick one more turn.

It is more flexible than Ancient Ziggurat, so it's quite possible. If Control gets too much more prevalent, though, tribal strategies may not be able to afford not having Cavern of Souls.

I think you're talking about Unclaimed Territory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

They really messed up the new Jace by not making him Beard Jace like in the story they put out today.

They also mention his newfound sexy muscles like 3 times.