Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
hes obviously a tea kettle
a tea kettle is a machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

David Lynch: [screams] IT IS NOT A TEA KETTLE

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The one thing Lynch is willing to explain and nobody wanted to hear it.

Y'know if the viewing community could just agree on a single vision for what everything in the show means, we could probably get actual answers out of Lynch. It's just that we'd all have to agree to the stupidest and silliest idea instead of anything worth any gravitas.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
its interesting that this was the first hint we've gotten that lynch has any idea what pop culture is saying about his show. i kind of didn't think he cared.

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

acksplode posted:

David Lynch: [screams] IT IS NOT A TEA KETTLE

I think you mean Gordon Cole

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

But I actually get what he means because it's really obviously just one of those machines that The Fireman has like dozens/hundreds of in his Tower Dwelling, except it's been modified with a spout that allows somehow for Jeffries to speak through it. And Jeffries's words/consciousness is represented by some combination of the steam/smoke that is coming out of the spout and what the zygote-type thing is that the steam/smoke is focused on.

I actually understand Lynch's frustration because I'm sure it's a very precise conceptual idea, and it probably sort of horrifies him to have everybody thinking he literally intended that object to be some sort of tea kettle.

Though I mean, it's so evocative of one that I thought it was semi-intentional in a weird sort of way - you know, like he was saying Jeffries had been steeped in time like tea steeps in water. Or you could go with percolator/coffee if you like. But that's a pretty silly idea and a great example of the sort of backwards reasoning we do in these threads to try and understand some of this crap :v:

But it is interesting. Him pointing that out makes me think that maybe we weren't TOO far off the mark as a fan community in terms of how we responded/reacted to some of what we were seeing. I actually bet that Lynch really enjoys the gently caress out of going online and reading/seeing how people react to this stuff. I mean, this is the first time he's made something in the true, uh, age of social media over-sharing. I can see him being fascinated by some of the reaction videos people make or expansive theories they came up with - and pretty much every Lynch fan sort of analyzes his material in the spirit of how Lynch has even said he wants his material to be analyzed and seen, so I don't see how he could be unhappy about the overall reception for this season. All the true fans were generally really happy and engaged and entertained all the way through the 18 episodes, and it generated a lot of continually active and new and interesting discussion all season long on here, reddit, youtube, etc etc.

Does make me wonder where exactly he goes to gauge how people are reacting. Or maybe one of his assistants or friends just does and was like "David, everyone is called David Bowie a tea kettle and they think you're just being weird and silly for the sake of weird silliness - nobody is analyzing the actual scene, they're only talking about Tea-Kettle-David-Bowie. Thought you should know since you kept talking on set about how it wasn't going to look like a tea kettle even though we told you it would."

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Weren't people just saying the Bowie teapot thing to be funny though?

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Strangely enough I never really thought it looked that much like a tea kettle myself.

I'm pretty surprised at the quote from Lynch because I thought he was all about allowing people to interpret things in their own way. Maybe he was being a bit tongue-in-cheek?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love how he's all like "Christ's sake you guys, it's just a machine"

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

MonoAus posted:

Strangely enough I never really thought it looked that much like a tea kettle myself.

I'm pretty surprised at the quote from Lynch because I thought he was all about allowing people to interpret things in their own way. Maybe he was being a bit tongue-in-cheek?

I think he wants people to know what's something is so that they can correctly interpret what's going on. He might think that thinking its a tea kettle would be distracting.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
imma little tea pot

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

Weren't people just saying the Bowie teapot thing to be funny though?

That was my take. Didn’t realise anyone thought it was actually intended as a tea kettle.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Escobarbarian posted:

That was my take. Didn’t realise anyone thought it was actually intended as a tea kettle.

I thought it was genuinely supposed to evoke a tea kettle. A bit like the thing about "steeping in time" kaworu wrote up. This show has coffee, motor oil, creamed corn, chewing gum and rubber gloves as signs of magic. Turning into a magic tea kettle isn't really that crazy when there is a woman who turns into a door knob, y'know.

Baloogan posted:

imma little tea pot

Pour me out.

And More fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 20, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cromulent posted:

I want to personally report to David Lynch about the guy in this thread who not only watched on his phone, but watched on his phone with the sound off.

Ha, that's totally me. I had a newborn!! :argh:

Edit:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You know, I watch this show late on Sunday nights/Monday mornings usually, while I'm rocking my 3 month old to sleep. I'm watching it on my loving phone, with the sound off, and sometimes, I'm WAYY too tired.

I had COMPLETELY missed this, holy poo poo. :stare:

To be fair, I used headphones more often than not.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 20, 2017

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
SONNY, YOU'RE LOOKING AT A FRONT THREE QUARTERS VIEW OF TWO ADULTS REUNITING AFTER MANY YEARS, NEITHER OF WHOM IS A TEA KETTLE

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

And More posted:

I thought it was genuinely supposed to evoke a tea kettle. A bit like the thing about "steeping in time" kaworu wrote up. This show has coffee, motor oil, creamed corn, chewing gum and rubber gloves as signs of magic. Turning into a magic tea kettle isn't really that crazy when there is a woman who turns into a door knob, y'know.

Yeah, I somewhat thought the magical tea kettle tied in with coffee

I thought that maybe the giant/fireman just had a much of magical hot beverages in all those tea pots in his fortress of cinema

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

FREDDIE: drat good Bovril, guv!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I wonder if Gordon and possibly Albert have actually been to the motel room to see Jeffries/teapot. Gordon mentions in episode 17 that Jeffries is something entirely else now, so he obviously knows that he's changed. Unless Jeffries turned into a machine a long time ago, or Jeffries has actually made appearances to Gordon since changing.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
a Tea Kettle stumbles off the elevator accusing Cooper of being something different

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
You're not gonna believe this, there was a fish in philip jefferies!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kaworu posted:

Does make me wonder where exactly he goes to gauge how people are reacting. Or maybe one of his assistants or friends just does and was like "David, everyone is called David Bowie a tea kettle and they think you're just being weird and silly for the sake of weird silliness - nobody is analyzing the actual scene, they're only talking about Tea-Kettle-David-Bowie. Thought you should know since you kept talking on set about how it wasn't going to look like a tea kettle even though we told you it would."

Lynch is def seeing this stuff first hand. The guy loves trawling through youtube for one thing;.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bird in a Blender posted:

I wonder if Gordon and possibly Albert have actually been to the motel room to see Jeffries/teapot. Gordon mentions in episode 17 that Jeffries is something entirely else now, so he obviously knows that he's changed. Unless Jeffries turned into a machine a long time ago, or Jeffries has actually made appearances to Gordon since changing.

I could see Gordon having visited Jefferies. Just before they go into the yard Hastings led them to one of albert or cooper asks the other 'do you think we'll find another one' or something along those lines.

Also, it doesn't seem like this is the first magical portal they have experienced.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'd guess in the 26 years we haven't seen him, Gordon has done a lot of things. Maybe that's why he wasn't surprised to see the transport hole in the sky and how Albert calmly pulled him back. Maybe they knew that it wasn't a good time to go back in, what with "Diane" and the others there?

Or maybe Gordon was shopping for his niece's wedding gift at Macy's and there among the small kitchen appliances was a 15 foot tea kettle with his former partner inside. Wouldn't surprise me. Probably wouldn't surprise Gordon either.

edit: ^^^^ This is what happens when I don't refresh the drat thread.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ha, that's totally me. I had a newborn!! :argh:

We tossed our newborn in an extra pack-n-play in the living room during his day naps. I was totally surprised at the amount of noise he happily slept through. Now that he's 2, there is no chance for that.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Those magical portals seem pretty evil, so y'all are thinking gordon went through one, saw MIKE, and walked down the hall?

Maybe jefferies went the same way, too.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Baloogan posted:

Those magical portals seem pretty evil, so y'all are thinking gordon went through one, saw MIKE, and walked down the hall?

Maybe jefferies went the same way, too.

not evil. the one at jackrabbits palace went to the white lodge after all. And didn't evil coop need to go up the staircase that Cole saw through the portal on his way to the Jeffries Motel?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

cjg posted:

We tossed our newborn in an extra pack-n-play in the living room during his day naps. I was totally surprised at the amount of noise he happily slept through. Now that he's 2, there is no chance for that.

Ha, "during the day". I wasn't going to wait, I was watching the show at like.... 1am, when he'd wake up, and I'd rock him back to sleep. Meanwhile, I'd be watching Evil Coop be creepy and evil.

Eventually, I went back to work, so I just watched it there, with sound and everything.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

moist turtleneck posted:

a Tea Kettle stumbles off the elevator accusing Cooper of being something different

https://imgur.com/tcz6rlu

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
The trick is to suggest insanely dumb theories for the finale to Lynch until he just goes NO YOU IDIOTS IT WAS ABOUT THE BUNNIES or whatever.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/skeletonrealm/status/910666042640302081

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

omg cant breathPFFTBAHHAHAHHAHAHAH

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Doing my yearly rewatch and discovered that:

The mayor's brother was named Dougie. :aaa: And he died from vigorous sex. :aaaaa:

Little Nicky's case worker was named Judy. :aaaaa:

This information could kickstart whole new theories...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

cjg posted:

Now he is the eraserhead baby

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

DaveKap posted:

The one thing Lynch is willing to explain and nobody wanted to hear it.

Y'know if the viewing community could just agree on a single vision for what everything in the show means, we could probably get actual answers out of Lynch. It's just that we'd all have to agree to the stupidest and silliest idea instead of anything worth any gravitas.

The obvious answer is to just come up with and uniformly spout the worst, most wrongheaded interpretation, which would spurn him to produce a fourth season.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I always thought it looked more like a diving bell rather than a tea kettle.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

ruddiger posted:

I always thought it looked more like a diving bell rather than a tea kettle.

Before the tea kettle thing seems to have replaced it, most of the people I knew thought it looked like a bell in a way, and someone on here posted a video of someone resonating meditation bowls? i think. My memory was that the sound of the bells being "played" was exactly the hum from The Return

Also season 2 episode 20: Benjamin first hears the hum in his office after Audrey leaves and asks Pete to use his truck, "runs like a dream" he tells her.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 21, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
whoa the hum noise was from s2? i totally had forgotten.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't remember the hum in season 2 at all. Is there a clip online anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It's not exactly the same hum, but there's a similar noise every time the giant appears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfou9cwyygE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCojjLtZA58&t=9s