Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

You lose all progress if you uninstall pocket frogs fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

mrkillboy posted:

The Kingdom Rush people have a new RTS game out called Iron Marines. It looks very Starcraftish.

Five bucks and you still have to pay for additional unlocks? Yeesh. It's not really clear from the reviews if everything is unlockable eventually with ingame currency or not, but that's a pretty big turnoff.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Gadzuko posted:

Five bucks and you still have to pay for additional unlocks? Yeesh. It's not really clear from the reviews if everything is unlockable eventually with ingame currency or not, but that's a pretty big turnoff.

That's how all of their games have been basically.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Gadzuko posted:

The stuff you can only buy with real money are more heroes. There are three different heroes you get with the game. Everything else is purchased with ingame currency. If you want to you can buy ingame currency.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
In more new release news, there's a new Adventure Time hero collection battler out if any of you are fans of that sort of thing. Square Enix have also released King's Knight, a F2P hybrid dungeon crawler/smup that's a remake of an old NES game.

Also I'm really liking Cat Quest. It''s more simplified and streamlined than most RPGs but it makes for a nice experience on mobile.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
With all the Pocket Frogs talk, I'm surprised the goons from Nimblebit haven't shown up in here yet, I remember they used to look for beta testers for their games here on the forums

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Phrosphor posted:

The stuff you can only buy with real money are more heroes. There are three different heroes you get with the game. Everything else is purchased with ingame currency. If you want to you can buy ingame currency.

4 hereos if you buy it soon, you get a free one as an early adopter gift.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
The Kingsman game out today; it's a puzzles-and-dragons like where you try to match colors. The gatcha is character shards, costume shards, and pet shards. Yeah, the pug follows you around.

You can train the pets, collect different weapons and outfits, and if you do you get bonus stats. Each costume/weapon can be leveled up and such. Has a guild system.

Music is real repetitive, but otherwise I'm enjoying it a bit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've been playing Fire Emblem a lot. I bought $30 worth of orbs as a bit of a head start on having some hero variety (I didn't even think of doing the bullshit reroll thing) and can't foresee a reason to spend money on it again. The stamina recharges fast enough that I can play when I want and I can pick a thing I want to do (earn power ups for my guys, or earn some new guys) every session without doing disappointed face.

I've played a few mobile games in a similar vein, but this is really the highest quality one I've seen. It's really fun.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Any opinion on Cat Quest? Spotted it on Androidpolice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-eNX81XWsg

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4lcw5fAzJI

PC version, but should give you a decent idea of how it plays.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

DemonMage posted:

PC version, but should give you a decent idea of how it plays.

I just want to note that the controls are different in the mobile version: it's all tap to move and target enemies, and attacks happen automatically, and subsequently there's no roll dodging as you see in the video (the enemy attack circles move slower to compensate). It works pretty decently, though I find it gets a bit too chaotic when you're swarmed by enemies.

The game's pretty great, though even at level 10 I'm still getting my rear end beat by the first proper dragon boss, so it looks like there's a bit of grinding involved.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's the best way to play Android games on PC?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Nox or Bluestacks.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

I'd say try LeapDroid first. It stopped development and doesn't support the newest engines (as in Unreal and Co) but most of the time its the smoothest and most stable choice.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Thanks for the suggestions. Am now playing Through the Ages like a boss.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

mrkillboy posted:

The game's pretty great, though even at level 10 I'm still getting my rear end beat by the first proper dragon boss, so it looks like there's a bit of grinding involved.

I'm level 15 and the game told me to go level up some more before I could even get to the first dragon boss.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm level 15 and the game told me to go level up some more before I could even get to the first dragon boss.

Fwiw I fought it at like 18 and just dodged around a lot. I'm at 27 right now, basically just from doing little side quests as opposed to just grinding mobs.

It's really a great game for mobile, it reminds me of crashlands but more focused and more cat puns.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It's quite fun, I just killed the second dragon and got the key for gold chests and holy poo poo the equipment in them is beastly.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

It's quite fun, I just killed the second dragon and got the key for gold chests and holy poo poo the equipment in them is beastly.

For getting the key, is the trick just Using freeze spells to slowly whittle down the chests? I've just been trying to whittle them down with ice/fire, which is taking forever but I guess is the best way to avoid getting one shot?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

foutre posted:

For getting the key, is the trick just Using freeze spells to slowly whittle down the chests? I've just been trying to whittle them down with ice/fire, which is taking forever but I guess is the best way to avoid getting one shot?

Well, it won't be your main source of damage, but yeah. If you have them slowed, you can usually get a full three-hit combo and peace out before they attack if you're quick.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
What are some decent game controllers out there?

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Uncle Kitchener posted:

What are some decent game controllers out there?

I think people really like 8Bitdo controllers, and they're on sale today.
https://twitter.com/KinjaDeals/status/908525820511178753
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/8bitdo-fc30-pro-or-nes30-pro-bluetooth-gamepad

Zander13
Apr 6, 2011

8Bitdo has some great controllers for mobile.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
The NES30 Pro is a great controller especially for mobile. There's a separate phone clip you can buy, also works nicely.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I have both the NES version of the 8bitdo and clip, and it's a really great thing. I have an S7 with a bulky case and it has no problem fitting and staying. I've heard some people complain about the center of gravity and angle being weird but I haven't had any issues with that. My only complaint is that the controller itself is a little bit small for my gigantic goon ham hands, so hitting l1/r1 is a bit tricky/cramp indusing.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

mrkillboy posted:

In more new release news, there's a new Adventure Time hero collection battler out if any of you are fans of that sort of thing.

I picked this up and have been enjoying it . I can definitely see the cash-grabby elements, but I haven't felt compelled to really spend. You get Finn or Finona at the outset and I got Ice King fairly quickly, plus some other minor folks like an unnamed Penguin (Gunter is presumably in the game too) and "Fire Kingdom" Cinnamon Bun. I recognize Cinnamon Bun but not his blue lance-wielding Fire Kingdom version with a little flame on his head. There are a TON of characters from what I can tell.
I haven't watched the show in the past year or so but definitely want to go back, we've just been too busy..

Combat has you swiping over the enemy or enemies that you want to attack, and your team does their thing on a timer. You have to time blocks and such, and as you defeat enemies or the turns progress you get points that you can spend on powers for more devastating hits, AoE attacks, heals, or other effects. There's also equippable items but they seem to run out over time.

If you're a fan of Adventure Time, its pretty entertaining! If you've never seen Adventure Time, you're going to have no loving clue what's going on.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Well, it won't be your main source of damage, but yeah. If you have them slowed, you can usually get a full three-hit combo and peace out before they attack if you're quick.

Oh ok that's a much better way to get the damage out, thanks!

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

I seem to remember people playing Pocket Mine 2 a bunch when that came out. Well it seems that 3 came out recently and I've been playing it a bit today. The main changes that I've noticed so far are gear with attributes/modifiers and enemies. Here's my friend code link.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.roofdog.pm3&hl=en

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Tap Titans 2 clan has openings. I know there were some goons waiting for it a few weeks ago.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Nexon have a new game out in soft launch called Tango 5. It sounds a bit strange: a 5v5 MOBA played like a turn based tactics game but in real time with each round lasting 99 seconds. It kinda works though.

Right now it's officially out in the Phillipines and South Korea so there should be no problems matchmaking with other players.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Through The Ages is an amazing board game that finally has a really incredible android app version.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Impermanent posted:

Through The Ages is an amazing board game that finally has a really incredible android app version.

I will play and likely love everything Chvatil-designed, please tell me this game has that signature "plan for the best without knowing all the facts and then let it all unfold while you sit there and curse everything" element.

I wish more people I know IRL wanted to play Space Alert with me :smith:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I will play and likely love everything Chvatil-designed, please tell me this game has that signature "plan for the best without knowing all the facts and then let it all unfold while you sit there and curse everything" element.

I wish more people I know IRL wanted to play Space Alert with me :smith:

This game's high level play is basically entirely "plan for the best and yell mournfully"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Impermanent posted:

This game's high level play is basically entirely "plan for the best and yell mournfully"

Holy gently caress, then I'm SO in.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

bunky posted:

I seem to remember people playing Pocket Mine 2 a bunch when that came out. Well it seems that 3 came out recently and I've been playing it a bit today. The main changes that I've noticed so far are gear with attributes/modifiers and enemies. Here's my friend code link.

Oh nice I remember having fun with the 2nd game. Time to try and clear some space on my phone.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I have been playing on my phone a good bit lately and I'm really, really sick and tired of "yet another battery-chugging MMO-lite" and "yet another citybuilder with pay to win PVP" and "yet another card-based kljsdfhjklaasdfsdf" so i poked aruond and found some interesting games I don't think anyone has mentioned in here yet.

Beholder https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.creativemobile.beholderfree&hl=en (free trial version, or you can buy full game for $2.99) , a sort of CYOA-lite with a dark, Orwellian atmosphere (it reminds me a bit of Papers, Please in that regard), where you play as an apartment complex manager/maintenance man, whose family have been moved into the building and given the position by the state, and who is ordered to spy on all of your residents. You have to walk around the building talking to people, sneak around the building going through others' drawers and cabinets, installing security cameras, and observing your residents' behaviors in order to write up reports on them, or turn them in to the authorities if they misbehave (which garners money). You have to make KODP-esque choices along the way on how to deal with certain events (usually with little to no advance warning of what will happen based on your choices,) decide to plant evidence or not, steal stuff from residents (to sell - you're almost always shockingly low on money which leads to very tough choices), turn people in or help them survive, and also just day to day issues such as your wife making requests for treats for the children, your son's future and potential career path, requests for repairs around the building, etc.

It's a really simple game with a nice aesthetic tat lends itself very well to the attitude and atmosphere, and the game doesn't give a poo poo to explain much to you - I spent an hour or so trying to figure out why the game was so busted that my wife's request for chocolate candy wasn't completing, until i realized there was a "chocolate" item, and a "chocolate candies" item.. A minor detail but it can add a bit of stress to playing, because almost everything is on a timer and some stuff has drastic consequences if not finished on time, such as illness, debt, etc.

I'm not sure if the game has more than one or two replays in it however, it does a great job of keeping you engrossed in the day to day life and responsibilities of your character.

The only quibble I have is that the game save only occurs when you turn in a quest, so you can do a ton of things, quit the game and come back later to realize you didn't quite finish any one quest, so you need to go through a couple small steps again.

Redungeon
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nitrome.redungeon&hl=en is a Roguelike puzzler, which feels a lot like an old Zelda-style platformer. There're lots of floor tiles with effects (ice, break over time, teleport, etc), urns that giev a strong zelda vibe, fire chains that look a lot like an old Mario Castle obstacle, etc.. It's a lot of fun and puts the stress on you pretty heavily, although it starts off fairly simple after you learn to recognize the first three or four kinds of tiles that can mess with you.

Mushroom Wars: Space https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zw.mushroom.wars.space&hl=en I'd never heard of this franchise, apaprently it'smaybe Kind of a Big Deal on PS4? It seems like a cutesy Galcon knockoff to me, which is fine, and fun enough for a short while.

I tried Trump Wall https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.build.trumpwall&hl=en from harambe Games (is this the one that Baked Alaska made, which was supposed to be taken down due to copyright infringement over Pepe imagery?) I didn't see any frogs in this game, but you DO have to tap one of two buttnos to hop onto tiles, and outpace Hillary Clinton. it was funny for almost 45 seconds before its crossy road ripoff graphisc and boring-rear end gameplay killed it to me.

There are a frightening number of games which have "trump" and "wall" in the title, they're all exactly what you'd expect.

Qubiso a puzzle game where you rotate stationary pieces until tehy form a continuous whole with no frayed ends. It was fun for a few minutes but then i realized that you literally only do one thing - tap pieces until they fit, then tap other pieces until they fit, rinse repeat. It basically feels like "paint by numbers: the puzzle game!"

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

bunky posted:

Added you. And been playing for the day. It's a pretty fun little game and enjoying it so far.

Took me a while to figure out not to actually find the monster and fight them. Avoiding them is key as is finding the easiest path down J the least amount of hits.

Edit: Here's my code link as well
http://www.pocketmine3.com/invite/index.html?uid=zxkv5232

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 21, 2017

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
It looks like Terra Battle 2 seems to be available for download but apparently the servers won't be switched on until 11PM Pacific Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

mrkillboy posted:

It looks like Terra Battle 2 seems to be available for download but apparently the servers won't be switched on until 11PM Pacific Time.

I love how many reviews are already posted. App store reviews are pure trash :allears: