Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Broken Record Talk posted:

Great start, but it's missing some "pop" to make the model come to life. Right now, it all kind of blurs together. Might I suggest some orange glow on the Plasma Gun, and some brighter metal work on parts of the trim?

I wonder if green glow wouldn't provide a better contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Hamshot posted:

Wow, y'all are harsh as gently caress. He's got the armor the same color and texture of old leather bleached in a desert sun over decades, the eye looks like one from a harlequin baby and he's got great application of glossy black cables like jet black deep-sea worms writhing through a whale carcass. The thing looks like it was mummified and ancient, like a mammoth calf recently thawed. What's not to love?

It's technically strong but kind of hard to read, and people are offering feedback on that basis.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Having read the Death Guard codex, it's pretty drat good and makes me want the new units. Certainly the plague surgeon and a choppy unit of plague marines.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Seeing some cool Death Guard dudes got me to finish the 5 I've had staring me in the face for the last couple of months. 3 of them were almost done with 1 base-coated, and one in (grey) primer, as a break from painting Age of Sigmar Nurgle guys.

After taking the picture, I noticed I painted the other 4 guys base in rims in Mournfang, which definitely is not Rhinox Hide.

I think his half-brother is cuter (and his base is bigger) :x

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Some good looking Death Guard ITT recently, great work richyp, jadebullet and Pierre.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Thanks guys. I'm really happy with how it is coming together. And yeah, I agree that a bit more pop would bring it together. I will probably go with picking our some detail with weathered brass like on the icons and doing something else with the plasma coils. Originally I was going with that kind of rust effect from the heavy metal scheme, but I agree that it doesn't pop enough.

Hamshot posted:

How did you do it?

I used the Vallejo rust paint pack to build up a nice rusty under coat, sprayed on some chipping medium, and then based with a bleached bone white, which I then chipped.

Then I used the various Vallejo streaking paints and several washes to grime it up as well as some weathering powders.

The tentacles are painted with a 50/50 mix of black and a hexed lichen(vallejo), highlighted in hexed lichen, and then glazed over with a layer of Badger ghost tints purple to give them the slimy look.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 20, 2017

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed

ineptmule posted:

I have these guys. Don't have a planned use for them as I got the Goliath for use in Gorkamorka.

I'm away from home for a few weeks though so wouldn't be able to send them for a fairly long while.

That's fine, I'm not in any sort of rush. PM sent.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wonder if green glow wouldn't provide a better contrast.

I was gonna say blue myself. But keep it a really dark blue, like the thing is just barely turning on.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Hamshot posted:

Wow, y'all are harsh as gently caress. He's got the armor the same color and texture of old leather bleached in a desert sun over decades, the eye looks like one from a harlequin baby and he's got great application of glossy black cables like jet black deep-sea worms writhing through a whale carcass. The thing looks like it was mummified and ancient, like a mammoth calf recently thawed. What's not to love?

There is a difference between composition and technique. At this point, there's very little contrast or anything to guide the eye around or anything, so, to me, it just looks muddy, and I can't really see or appreciate the technique.

Most of the best painters are always talking about their color choices, at least in youtube videos, but generally people don't talk about composition too much in miniatures, despite how important it is. You can 100% have visual interest and pretty art with just composition and very little technique. (See a lot of abstract/modern art) Technique without composition not so much.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

richyp posted:

Seeing some cool Death Guard dudes got me to finish the 5 I've had staring me in the face for the last couple of months. 3 of them were almost done with 1 base-coated, and one in (grey) primer, as a break from painting Age of Sigmar Nurgle guys.

After taking the picture, I noticed I painted the other 4 guys base in rims in Mournfang, which definitely is not Rhinox Hide.

I think his half-brother is cuter (and his base is bigger) :x

How are you doing your bases? Is that just Astrogranite and Valhallan Blizzard?

I'm trying to decide how to do my Deathwatch, and I might just steal your bases.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Zuul the Cat posted:

How are you doing your bases? Is that just Astrogranite and Valhallan Blizzard?

I'm trying to decide how to do my Deathwatch, and I might just steal your bases.

Yep, astrogranite, some astrogranite debris in places. Primed grey with model, washed black , drybrushes of dawnstone and everyone's favourite ulthuan grey. Stab on Valhallan blizzard and hit with hairdryer.

Grass is some wasteland thing from Army Painter.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

So, you've been shot, guardsman? Well, take a look at this handy flowchart to determine the proper treatment for your wounds!

99% of all injuries require no medical attention. In 98% of cases this is due to immediate death.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

DiHK posted:

I think that if you took a water colors course and planned your poo poo out real good you'd probably do a really great job with white primer.

I should take a water color course.

I'm a big fan of rustoleyms new candy apple red. I have blood angels.

Speaking from experience, water colours handle completely differently to acrylics, even when you wet blend or glaze. They are always semitransparent and if you layer with watercolours you end up with a brown mess.

Also classical watercolour painting techniques absolutely hate the hard lines and angles of our miniatures.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

richyp posted:

Yep, astrogranite, some astrogranite debris in places. Primed grey with model, washed black , drybrushes of dawnstone and everyone's favourite ulthuan grey. Stab on Valhallan blizzard and hit with hairdryer.

Grass is some wasteland thing from Army Painter.

I'm wondering if I should do a tan base, like Agrellean Badlands, instead of Astrogranite, since the deathwatch will already be black and grey. I don't want the base and the model to blend into one.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

Speaking from experience, water colours handle completely differently to acrylics, even when you wet blend or glaze. They are always semitransparent and if you layer with watercolours you end up with a brown mess.

Also classical watercolour painting techniques absolutely hate the hard lines and angles of our miniatures.

Watercolors also require amazing planning to make them look nice, which transfers to models, if not super directly.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm wondering if I should do a tan base, like Agrellean Badlands, instead of Astrogranite, since the deathwatch will already be black and grey. I don't want the base and the model to blend into one.

Paint it on before priming then you can paint it whatever colour :)

Grey would work well as like black it's a "free colour". Depending on what colours you go for chapter badges wise, a neutral colour might work better.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

richyp posted:

Paint it on before priming then you can paint it whatever colour :)

Grey would work well as like black it's a "free colour". Depending on what colours you go for chapter badges wise, a neutral colour might work better.

Good point! I was planning on making the chapter badges really vibrant as I want them to really stand out anyway. Grey it is then!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Felime posted:

Watercolors also require amazing planning to make them look nice, which transfers to models, if not super directly.

You can overpaint models very easily unless you've gone into full THIN UR PAINTZ mode.

Also IMHO it's less about amazing planning and more about 'feeling'. You don't really go into a piece with "I want to do a rock in this exact shape right here." You kind of splodge colours around and see what feels like the best shape for a rock and then you make it so in the painting process. My art teacher (who was into classical watercolours) never did do anything but the barest of sketches before putting paint to paper - you have some degree of planning and conceptualization, but probably not to the degree that you need on a miniature.

To quote him when I showed him mini-painting, "It's the skill of no-skill." i.e. it's closer to paint by numbers than traditional art.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

You can overpaint models very easily unless you've gone into full THIN UR PAINTZ mode.

Also IMHO it's less about amazing planning and more about 'feeling'. You don't really go into a piece with "I want to do a rock in this exact shape right here." You kind of splodge colours around and see what feels like the best shape for a rock and then you make it so in the painting process. My art teacher (who was into classical watercolours) never did do anything but the barest of sketches before putting paint to paper - you have some degree of planning and conceptualization, but probably not to the degree that you need on a miniature.

To quote him when I showed him mini-painting, "It's the skill of no-skill." i.e. it's closer to paint by numbers than traditional art.

I agree with you. Whenever someone sees my miniatures and comments on my skill, I tell them it's just paint by numbers.

That being said, there are some painters (definitely a bunch on here) that i would consider actual artists.

When I paint my minis, I do a little planning but mostly just go by what I think looks right. That Star Justicar I did was almost totally by accident. I just though a blue and purple dude would look cool.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

You can plan or not plan out a scheme, but the core concepts of composition (contrast, spacing, balance and movement) apply either way. Doing it well with a gut check just means you understand those concepts well enough to apply them as you go. If you don't understand them it doesn't matter what the approach is.

I also take issue with the skill of no-skill comment, but I've been hearing that poo poo from "artists" criticizing designers for 15 years, so I'm saltier than most about it.

OptimusWang fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 20, 2017

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Z the IVth posted:

Sure you can't layer too much but there is some layering going on with watercolors. I've seen lovely models ITT that are white or gray base with just wash buildups.

I dunno man. My wife is an actual artist (watercolors and oils mainly) but I'm not about to have her try and teach me something in addition to all the other poo poo I do "wrong". I will say that she takes a standard approach when she paints mini's with my acrylics.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Z the IVth posted:

Man gently caress this guy. Tell him to go look at Roman Lappat, Matt DiPietro, or Jeramie Bonamont and then tell me there's no artistic vision or skill in miniatures.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

Man gently caress this guy. Tell him to go look at Roman Lappat, Matt DiPietro, or Jeramie Bonamont and then tell me there's no artistic vision or skill in miniatures.

These are the dudes i'm talking about. Skill on this level is outstanding. Truly artists in every sense of the word. Like I said earlier, even on here there are some incredible artists.

There are some other dudes as well that do really great freehand art on the panels of titans that depict prior battles. i don't know their names, but you can't say there's no skill involved there.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Z the IVth posted:

There's something about art teachers where I swear part of the hiring process must be gauging them for how demoralizing they can be to their students. They're like spoilers hired explicitly to discourage artistic endeavor instead of promote it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Update on the 'Shockeh rediscovers how to paint' story - Test Marine #3!

I think I'm happier painting this; I'm enjoying the very simple palette, and I find it personally really striking. Eye lenses are teal, Sergeants get white helmets, captains & lieutenants get white helmets with a teal marking of some variety (stripe, slash, etc.) Critique welcomed! So far pretty happy a lot of knowledge is tumbling out of my brain; My highlights still feel scruffy, but each Marine is looking sharper.

E: Base isn't done there. Obviously.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's really well done, but I think it needs something to add interest. The eye is drawn to the chest eagle and that's about it. I'm not sure what it should be, though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The bolter might be better as a different color. Right now, it just blends with the armor despite the metallic parts. Even a simple black casing would stand out.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zuul the Cat posted:

These are the dudes i'm talking about. Skill on this level is outstanding. Truly artists in every sense of the word. Like I said earlier, even on here there are some incredible artists.

There are some other dudes as well that do really great freehand art on the panels of titans that depict prior battles. i don't know their names, but you can't say there's no skill involved there.

Oh I sort of understood the point he was getting at. It wasn't that there was a lack of technical skill, but that painting a free-standing model didn't carry the same degree of "artistry" traditional art did. I personally preferred graphic design-type projects myself, and I knew he had a low opinion of those as well.

Most miniature freehand is impressive because of the crazy brush control required to achieve it, not because of the composition of said freehand is inherently artistic. I've freehanded plenty of poo poo onto my models but I don't think I used any additional skills I didn't learn painting with poster paints in primary school.

This was ages ago, but I suspect he would not argue that constructing a diorama like some of the aforementioned master painters was art, or the act of sculpting a miniature. Also I think that stuff like monochrome models would very much appeal to his sense of 'artistry'

Alternatively he could just be an elitist watercolour dick...

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Any advice on how to base my Orks?

I'm going for yellow primary (which will be more subtle once I get all the non yellow colours blocked in)

This is Armageddon Dunes, Astrogranite Debris, and Martian Ironearth (which I put on way too thick, so it hasn't really worked)

I'm looking at the November 2016 WD article on basing for examples, but cant figure out which one goes best with my schene. Most Ork armies I see online seem to be using using a generic browny/grey mud. Should I stick with Astro?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Harkano posted:

Any advice on how to base my Orks?

I'm going for yellow primary (which will be more subtle once I get all the non yellow colours blocked in)

This is Armageddon Dunes, Astrogranite Debris, and Martian Ironearth (which I put on way too thick, so it hasn't really worked)

I'm looking at the November 2016 WD article on basing for examples, but cant figure out which one goes best with my schene. Most Ork armies I see online seem to be using using a generic browny/grey mud. Should I stick with Astro?

For what it's worth I've been using Armageddon Dunes on my own dues and I think it looks cool in general.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Shockeh posted:

I think I'm happier painting this; I'm enjoying the very simple palette, and I find it personally really striking. Eye lenses are teal, Sergeants get white helmets, captains & lieutenants get white helmets with a teal marking of some variety (stripe, slash, etc.) Critique welcomed! So far pretty happy a lot of knowledge is tumbling out of my brain; My highlights still feel scruffy, but each Marine is looking sharper.

Definitely add some decals to the shoulders. Also, consider painting the tubes and side thingies on the helmets, adds a nice bit of contrast.

If teal is your color, maybe doing a kneepad in the color would be nice? It does look rather uniform atm.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Pendent posted:

For what it's worth I've been using Armageddon Dunes on my own dues and I think it looks cool in general.

Looking at the possibilities here I just chucked some Seraphim on it and I like it a lot more now.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Z the IVth posted:

Oh I sort of understood the point he was getting at. It wasn't that there was a lack of technical skill, but that painting a free-standing model didn't carry the same degree of "artistry" traditional art did. I personally preferred graphic design-type projects myself, and I knew he had a low opinion of those as well.

Most miniature freehand is impressive because of the crazy brush control required to achieve it, not because of the composition of said freehand is inherently artistic. I've freehanded plenty of poo poo onto my models but I don't think I used any additional skills I didn't learn painting with poster paints in primary school.

This was ages ago, but I suspect he would not argue that constructing a diorama like some of the aforementioned master painters was art, or the act of sculpting a miniature. Also I think that stuff like monochrome models would very much appeal to his sense of 'artistry'

Alternatively he could just be an elitist watercolour dick...

Both are true. 90% of wargamers just use color by number level skills on armies becuase they aren't in it for art, they just want nice looking game pieces. That's fine.

But assuming that's the limit and extent of the medium is elitist bullshit.

On a personal note, I had a game lined up tonight at the FLGS. Was pretty pumped for some hams, until my opponent scooped on turn 1 at the very first sign of a setback. Thanks for deciding we both don't get to play tonight! Sure am glad I lugged the bigass 40k bag on the metro for that.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Starting to get closer with this model.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that was the last game I ever got to play, about two years ago. Turn 2, wiped a squad and a half of some type of marines with a basilisk barrage and homeboy just decided that was enough and conceded and packed all his dudes lol

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Shockeh posted:

Chapter and squad markings on the shoulderpads (even just in black), a campaign badge or just a solid company color on one or both kneepads, and a black bolter casing (as said before) would let you keep the palette but add focal points to the model and break up the color a bit.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

that was the last game I ever got to play, about two years ago. Turn 2, wiped a squad and a half of some type of marines with a basilisk barrage and homeboy just decided that was enough and conceded and packed all his dudes lol

This is the ideal game. No bullshit, just an immediate ragequit.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Babe Magnet posted:

This was my Carcharadons vs his Sisters plus Roboute. He scouts his repressors full of meltas up, I pop one with a charging dread and wipe a couple 5-woman sisters squads and most of a Crusader squad. He takes long-distance miltimelta shots at my centurions, whiffs, vaporizes my dreadnought with the meltas, wipes a squad of scouts, Celestine charges my terminators and whiffs, and he quits at the bottom of 1 saying he can't possibly win so why bother.

He's been saying sisters suck since 8th stated, he claimed this was him trying to see if Roubute could salvage them. One turn of one game in which Roboute did nothing apparent,y was enough to show him he couldn't. A lot of "I don't know why I play dice games" and belaboring every roll that came up below average while ignoring the ones above average (like making a couple 6+ lascannon saves with a rhino).

To clarify, I have no problems whatsoeevr with scooping out of a game that is a real forgone conclusion. But if you're gonna quit on turn 1 becuase you took the slightly worse end of a trade, just do me a favor and tell me beforehand, we'll roll off on random.org to see who wins and save me the trouble of showing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

JoshTheStampede posted:

This was my Carcharadons vs his Sisters plus Roboute. He scouts his repressors full of meltas up, I pop one with a charging dread and wipe a couple 5-woman sisters squads and most of a Crusader squad. He takes long-distance miltimelta shots at my centurions, whiffs, vaporizes my dreadnought with the meltas, wipes a squad of scouts, Celestine charges my terminators and whiffs, and he quits at the bottom of 1 saying he can't possibly win so why bother.

He's been saying sisters suck since 8th stated, he claimed this was him trying to see if Roubute could salvage them. One turn of one game in which Roboute did nothing apparent,y was enough to show him he couldn't. A lot of "I don't know why I play dice games" and belaboring every roll that came up below average while ignoring the ones above average (like making a couple 6+ lascannon saves with a rhino).

To clarify, I have no problems whatsoeevr with scooping out of a game that is a real forgone conclusion. But if you're gonna quit on turn 1 becuase you took the slightly worse end of a trade, just do me a favor and tell me beforehand, we'll roll off on random.org to see who wins and save me the trouble of showing up.

Sisters are very good right now, I've only lost 1 game with them out of 10. And I don't even have the crazy OP repressors

Celestine is a loving beast, but I likely wouldn't put her into terms.