Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I like the new thread title.

It betrays a certain anxiety.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

http://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...b-a7954496.html

quote:

Global warming may be occurring more slowly than previously thought, study suggests
Previous climate models may have been 'on the hot side'

Computer modelling used a decade ago to predict how quickly global average temperatures would rise may have forecast too much warming, a study has found.

The Earth warmed more slowly than the models forecast, meaning the planet has a slightly better chance of meeting the goals set out in the Paris climate agreement, including limiting global warming to 1.5C above pre-industrial levels.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

So why does this seem to conflict with literally everything else posted in this thread?

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤

Great! To celebrate, I'm flying to australia to kick off a cruise round the world

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Heres the actual article

It’s basically the opposite of this thread and saying if we take the lower bound of the models and get net carbon emissions to 0 by 2030 we can warm by only 1.5C!

It won’t let me copy paste out of the article but just read the very last paragraph. The scenario portrayed is not going to happen.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

hobbesmaster posted:

Heres the actual article

It’s basically the opposite of this thread and saying if we take the lower bound of the models and get net carbon emissions to 0 by 2030 we can warm by only 1.5C!

It won’t let me copy paste out of the article but just read the very last paragraph. The scenario portrayed is not going to happen.

It also ignores the 'feedback' mechanisms with the permafrost melting and the release of methane. Ditto on the methane hydrides in the Oceans.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Oh good, a 'slightly better chance', fills me with hope and joy :/

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So we're at the point of "everything is fine" people defining "fine" as 1.5C warming by 2100.

Cool. Cool.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Seaside Loafer posted:

Oh good, a 'slightly better chance', fills me with hope and joy :/

Russian roulette is cool and good :yayclod:

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

call to action posted:

So why does this seem to conflict with literally everything else posted in this thread?

The article closes with the assertion that it is within the realm of physical possibility that we keep warming to 1.5C, as opposed to it being literally impossible, which seems both consistent with this thread's consensus (as much as there is one) and not especially comforting.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 20, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

So we're at the point of "everything is fine" people defining "fine" as 1.5C warming by 2100.

Cool. Cool.

Well, at this point, limiting the damage to 1.5C by 2100 would be a laudable achievement. Considering the sociopolitical challenges to doing so.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Well, at this point, limiting the damage to 1.5C by 2100 would be a laudable achievement. Considering the sociopolitical challenges to doing so.

Physically possible as in "0 net carbon by 2030"

So politically impossible.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Physically possible as in "0 net carbon by 2030"

So politically impossible.

I mean, politically unlikely, gently caress yes. But impossible? I can think of a few ways it could happen and not all of them involve mega-deaths.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It should be associated with climate denial to model any scenario that assumes zero net carbon by 2030. Might as well just insert happy hopes and dreams in there, too.

Trabisnikof posted:

I mean, politically unlikely, gently caress yes. But impossible? I can think of a few ways it could happen and not all of them involve mega-deaths.

OK, how do we get there in a way that's politically unlikely but possible?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“call to action”" post="“476590858”"]
It should be associated with climate denial to model any scenario that assumes zero net carbon by 2030. Might as well just insert happy hopes and dreams in there, too.

OK, how do we get there in a way that’s politically unlikely but possible?
[/quote]

"It is physically possible to do this" is a fine article for a scientific journal. This is different from a policy position.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

hobbesmaster posted:

"It is physically possible to do this" is a fine article for a scientific journal. This is different from a policy position.

I disagree. There's no basis in physical reality for the amount of carbon sequestration they assume. And scientists that put forth "[if we went full communism now] everything will be fine" fuel deniers and gently caress up the intensity of the message that's needed to make real change.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

call to action posted:

I disagree. There's no basis in physical reality for the amount of carbon sequestration they assume. And scientists that put forth "[if we went full communism now] everything will be fine" fuel deniers and gently caress up the intensity of the message that's needed to make real change.

quote:

Nature Geoscience is a monthly multi-disciplinary journal aimed at bringing together top-quality research across the entire spectrum of the Earth Sciences along with relevant work in related areas.
The journal's content reflects all the disciplines within the geosciences, encompassing field work, modelling and theoretical studies.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Good on Nature, then, they helped advance the "climate change isn't as bad as libtards made it out to be" message. For science!

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

I agree, researchers and scientists should definitely only publish their work if it's politically expedient. I can't imagine why that's a crazy or ridiculous thing to advocate.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Breitbart is on top of it

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Static Equilibrium posted:

I agree, researchers and scientists should definitely only publish their work if it's politically expedient. I can't imagine why that's a crazy or ridiculous thing to advocate.

Ironic, considering the reason they publish this kind of ridiculously optimistic bullshit is because it's politically expedient to do so.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

That's not what that means

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah it falls under modeling, the point is it isn't a political policy journal.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

call to action posted:

OK, how do we get there in a way that's politically unlikely but possible?

"Trying to cut carbon emissions is actually just climate denial."

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Thug Lessons posted:

Read the article, sweetheart.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

I don't know how it's possible to read the journal article and come to the conclusion that it's "ridiculously optimistic," considering the path it imagines to 1.5C is explicitly described as both historically unprecedented and no where near our present political reality.

Edit: missing an un-

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 20, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Why even discuss the use of carbon sequestration that will not and cannot exist? Why not just make scientific models that assume the God Spirit will inhale the world's atmospheric carbon on February 20, 2020?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

call to action posted:

Sample bias.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Thug Lessons posted:

Zero net emissions by 2030 means that in less than 15 years we no longer emit to generate power, no longer drive ICE cars, no longer fly airplanes or operate ships that emit CO2, etc. It's not practical in any sense and it's not something that can be seriously discussed, unless you actually do want to start talking about how a totalitarian world government focused on solving climate change would actually be a good thing.

I saw an article on this study a few days ago and I was surprised anyone even bothered to post about it here, because the "optimistic" assumptions in it are pretty much the crazy carbon reduction curves that everyone always writes off entirely. I don't know why it's even news.

Edit- Like, it's really weird to see a post like this from you because the only way this happens is if you acknowledge that all the people who are always screaming "not good enough!" are right and we start crash decarbonization right this instant.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Zero net emissions by 2030 means that in less than 15 years we no longer emit to generate power, no longer drive ICE cars, no longer fly airplanes or operate ships that emit CO2, etc. It's not practical in any sense and it's not something that can be seriously discussed, unless you actually do want to start talking about how a totalitarian world government focused on solving climate change would actually be a good thing.

I saw an article on this study a few days ago and I was surprised anyone even bothered to post about it here, because the "optimistic" assumptions in it are pretty much the crazy carbon reduction curves that everyone always writes off entirely. I don't know why it's even news.

Edit- Like, it's really weird to see a post like this from you because the only way this happens is if you acknowledge that all the people who are always screaming "not good enough!" are right and we start crash decarbonization right this instant.

This paper is valuable if all it does is show us the cost of our political and social choices. We're going to choose not to phase out carbon emissions fast enough, for the reasons you imply, that the social costs are too high and our decision-making too diffuse. But just because we won't choose to stop burning coal et al doesn't mean we shouldn't study what would happen if stopped.

Just because society will choose to do the wrong thing doesn't mean we shouldn't study what we would do if we did the right thing.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I'm not actually criticizing the paper at all, I just find the articles about it (which, aside from the Independent, mostly seem to be coming up from right-leaning publications) kind of eye roll worthy. They mostly amount to saying that climate change actually isn't all that bad as long as we completely reinvent society tomorrow which, I mean, yeah, I think most people in this thread would agree with that.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Assuming carbon sequestration is a horrible loving gamble.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Paradoxish posted:

In this specific instance I'm just objecting to someone saying obscenely stupid poo poo. We aren't going to hit zero emissions by 2030 but calling a paper that outlines such a scenario climate denial is garbage and it annoys me.

Edit: I think what I said is a fairly accurate characterization of what he and a bunch of people here actually believe. They don't believe carbon emissions can be cut, and if they could it would make no difference, and we are going to blow past RCP8.5. And as far as I'm concerned that's an entirely pernicious narrative with no redeeming value.

Thug Lessons fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 20, 2017

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
have any of you pointless human tragedies planted any trees yet

i'm volunteering 20 hours a week to reforest the wetlands near my house

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

the old ceremony posted:

have any of you pointless human tragedies planted any trees yet

i'm volunteering 20 hours a week to reforest the wetlands near my house

Reforestation is not viable carbon capture.

Good luck fighting coastal erosion tho!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

call to action posted:

Why even discuss the use of carbon sequestration that will not and cannot exist? Why not just make scientific models that assume the God Spirit will inhale the world's atmospheric carbon on February 20, 2020?

Massive changes in agriculture would sequester carbon but people would have to eat far less animal product.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

lma writers name is Harry Cockburn

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's been gone over countless times in this thread that we are well within the time frame of averting catastrophic climate change if you ignore everything but physical possibility. This is not news. A great deal of things are physically within humanity's reach, that does not mean for a second that any of those things will ever get done. Anyone who thinks that that article is anything new hasn't been paying attention.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Conspiratiorist posted:

Reforestation is not viable carbon capture.

Good luck fighting coastal erosion tho!
it captures more carbon than posting on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

the old ceremony posted:

it captures more carbon than posting on the internet

Posting on the internet carries a lower risk of accidentally spawning more humans than going out for community activities :smug: