Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

WampaLord posted:

Ehhhhhhh

You beat the Bears and a completely injured Packers squad. Maybe slow down on the "best team" hype.

I mean, he's not really wrong. No one has looked dominant in the NFC so far (besides the Bucs :cool:) and they beat the Packers soundly, despite the injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wandler20 posted:

(besides the Bucs :cool:)

This is kinda what I was getting at. :v:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I mean, in the end, aren't we all better versions of Andy Dalton?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Andy Dalton has overall been a good qb in the league. Theres no reason the Bengals shouldn't have had success with him.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Good is a very subjective term.

Also your second statement is an indictment against your first.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
A good read:

https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/910536653801971713

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Matt Ryan is a better Andy Dalton. I mean it's not an outlandish claim or anything.

https://www.pro-football-reference....n00&idx=players

It's even closer when you take out last season, which is a statistical outlier for both players. Although right now it looks like dalton might be done.

Dalton is going through now, what Ryan did in 2013/14... he has no offensive line. Dalton's always been a decent QB when given protection, same with Matt Ryan, but Matt can actually win in games after the sun goes down.

If the Bengals get some loving linemen next year, they'll be alright, but I've got a feeling that Marvin is done and Cinci is about to reboot.

edit:

That being said, comparing Matt to Dalton is intentional; in that you're trying to dress Matt down by comparing him to a QB he's better than.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 20, 2017

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

^ "But I said he was a better Andy Dalton" post incoming

Why is Gerald McCoy so awesome? Also, I absolutely love these player blogs.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

like what part?

Lets do the play-by-play.

FizFashizzle posted:

Dimitroff has never had a qb as good as brees he's had to deal with.

I'm not comparing Matt to Brees, Brady, or Rodgers, but he's closer to those three than he is to Dalton. It's irrelevant that Dimitroff hasn't had to sign Brees specifically, because he gave a monster contract to a different franchise QB.

FizFashizzle posted:

With the exception of one year, ryan has always been a better andy dalton.

This is an attempt to dress down Matt Ryan, not give him credit. Dalton has always had problems in big games and with consistency under pressure. Matt Ryan has only had those issues when his offensive line was turn-styles.

FizFashizzle posted:

And that's also not true about their cap. They've never had a hideous contract hanging over their head,

I'll give Dimitroff poo poo all day every day with you. I loving hate him. I tell WAC this alot, and I've literally shittup up threads with other Falcons fans because I refuse to give him credit for the drafting turn-around under Quinn.

That being said, he is a loving great cap manager, and the contract situation, even during our rebuilding years, has never been unmanagable like it has been in New Orleans. Mikey Loomis is an all-loving pro at spending money the franchise just doesn't loving have. They should have have blown it up and rebuilt years ago.

FizFashizzle posted:

but trading away 8 years worth of drafts for Jones freed up some space at the expense of competing for about a year and a half.

I know this is just hyperbole, but gently caress off; for two reasons:
1.) It was like 2 years worth of drafts spread over 3 years.
2.) It was loving worth it. Julio Jones is the opposite of a draft bust.

FizFashizzle posted:

And Quinn probably has more to do with drafting the defensive players that TD, especially considering who they drafted before he got there...

This is the only part of your post with any intellectual honesty, and I 100% agree, but it doesn't save your post from going 7-9 and narrowly missing the playoffs to my 8-8 posting.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 20, 2017

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

FizFashizzle posted:

Andy Dalton has overall been a good qb in the league.

no

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

dont hate the playa posted:

Andy Dalton vs Matt Ryan? Lets see...

Andy Dalton:
games: 95
Record: 56-37-2
Comp: 62.6
Y: 22608
Y/A: 7.2
TD: 142
INT: 85

Matt Ryan:
games: 95
Record: 53-40-1
Comp: 58.4
Y: 22171
Y/A: 7.4
TD: 138
INT: 79

Wow okay those are way closer than I thought....wait, wait, my bad. That second QB isn't Matt Ryan, its Cam Newton.

Yeah, they are pretty close, you're right.

Oh poo poo, you forgot about the 2,600 rushing yards and 30 rushing TD gap though :)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ozymandius1024 posted:

Oh poo poo, you forgot about the 2,600 rushing yards and 30 rushing TD gap though :)

Yeah, Cam is worlds better than Dalton, but that was a very good joke nonetheless.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, Cam is worlds better than Dalton, but that was a very good joke nonetheless.

But........my QB :cry:

I would seriously love to see Andy Dalton throwing to Ted Ginn and Philly Brown (and Greg Olsen), with Byron Bell and Mike Remmers at tackle. I guess this this year is going to test that :shobon:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Extremely pro click. I loving love McCoy so much.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ozymandius1024 posted:

I would seriously love to see Andy Dalton throwing to Ted Ginn and Philly Brown (and Greg Olsen), with Byron Bell and Mike Remmers at tackle. I guess this this year is going to test that :shobon:

Yup. I'm glad the Bengals have lost their way.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

ozymandius1024 posted:

Andy Dalton can't even throw to AJ Green and Mo Sanu with Andrew Whitworth and Kevin Zeitler protecting him.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

weird Asian candy posted:

I mean, in the end, aren't we all better versions of Andy Dalton?

Yes

Also Matt Ryan owns and isn't a reason for the Falcons not having succeeded in most seasons. I hate typing that but it's true. All in all, every current NFCS qb is 'good enough' to get their team to a Superbowl provided they are not surrounded with trash.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Actually dalton was quite good in 2015.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Nick Foles was quite good in 2013.

RG3 was quite good in 2012.

etc etc

Nov 6, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

Actually dalton was quite good in 2015.

So was Cam.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I loved this.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Memories :smith:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

He'll get there again :cry:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ozymandius1024 posted:

He'll get there again :cry:

I don't think so fam. Too much working against him.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009

ozymandius1024 posted:

True, add those numbers in and you could almost say Cam is a slightly better version of Andy Dalton!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i like how the andey meme and his current level of play is making everyone think that Andy Dalton Was Always Bad when he's actually Not

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
He's neither bad or good, he is the Mendoza line of Qb's

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

i like how the andey meme and his current level of play is making everyone think that Andy Dalton Was Always Bad when he's actually Not

Nah, he's always been a capable starter. Nobody could perform behind the Bengals current line, except maybe Russell Wilson who's both scrambly and is used to playing behind dogshit lines.

Imagine Russell Wilson with a top-tier wide receiver like AJ Green :allears:

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 20, 2017

Nov 6, 2002

dont hate the playa posted:

He's neither bad or good, he is the Mendoza line of Qb's

There's a reason it's called the Dalton line.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

There's a reason it's called the Dalton line.

I thought that the Dalton line was "It's my way or the highway"?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Chilichimp posted:

Nah, he's always been a capable starter. Nobody could perform behind the Bengals current line, except maybe Russell Wilson who's both scrambly and is used to playing behind dogshit lines.

Imagine Russell Wilson with a top-tier wide receiver like AJ Green :allears:

Like Jimmy Graham?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Like Jimmy Graham?

Thats one trade ya'll got right, I guess

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Thanks for this, surprisingly in depth. Great read.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Lets do the play-by-play.
I'm not comparing Matt to Brees, Brady, or Rodgers, but he's closer to those three than he is to Dalton. It's irrelevant that Dimitroff hasn't had to sign Brees specifically, because he gave a monster contract to a different franchise QB.

Uh, I dunno about that. I think it's kinda those three are in their own tier right now. They're just a league of their own. Ryan is in the Newton (assuming he's not damaged goods), Wilson, Roethlisberger, MAYBE Stafford tier. But I also think you can win a super bowl with andy dalton so who knows what I'm thinking. I mean poo poo Joe Flacco won a drat super bowl. Eli's won two.

Ryan got a big contract, but that's not my point. Brees has a similar cap hit and similar dead money, but it's just been compounding for loving ever. It's like some bizarre swamp monster. And this year he can get another huge contract because he has all the leverage on them.

I don't know how much you can fault Loomis for this, because it was kinda by design. When they signed Byrd it was pretty clear they were planning on blowing up the team and they just never had because things keep working out so badly.

I don't know, I think Loomis is stupid like a fox. Like obviously Dimitroff has kept the books in better order, but we've established that a lot of the Saints bad moves looked fine on paper. We keep predicting them having to sell off the stadium but every year they somehow make the cap work, they somehow sign free agents and get all their draft picks on the team.

Considering their ownership situation, I would not be surprised if we see a situation where they beg for a cap reprieve to help boost the value of the team at some point. Obviously the situation is messy as hell and a competent NFL commissioner would step in and force a sale. But I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually said "we can't sell the team with our cap penalty :qq: "

I dont think you and I disagree here.

quote:

This is an attempt to dress down Matt Ryan, not give him credit. Dalton has always had problems in big games and with consistency under pressure. Matt Ryan has only had those issues when his offensive line was turn-styles.

I guess I have a higher opinion of Andy Dalton from until 2015 than the rest of this board. Let's also not forget that it wasn't too long ago that Matt Ryan couldn't win a big game either.

quote:

I'll give Dimitroff poo poo all day every day with you. I loving hate him. I tell WAC this alot, and I've literally shittup up threads with other Falcons fans because I refuse to give him credit for the drafting turn-around under Quinn.

That being said, he is a loving great cap manager, and the contract situation, even during our rebuilding years, has never been unmanagable like it has been in New Orleans. Mikey Loomis is an all-loving pro at spending money the franchise just doesn't loving have. They should have have blown it up and rebuilt years ago.

I think we're in agreement here?

quote:

I know this is just hyperbole, but gently caress off; for two reasons:
1.) It was like 2 years worth of drafts spread over 3 years.
2.) It was loving worth it. Julio Jones is the opposite of a draft bust.

Julio is one of the 10 or so best player in the league regardless of position.

That said, that trade, plus the disaster in 2012, had repercussions for the Falcons and contributed to the dark dark times. Remember them not trading Tony Gonzalez because they didn't have enough lineman who could block? Or them sending poor steven jackson into the hole to die for 2 yards a carry to keep matt ryan alive 30 times a game? Getting one player in two drafts will do that.

The two things can both be true.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Ryan is in the Newton (assuming he's not damaged goods), Wilson, Roethlisberger, MAYBE Stafford tier. But I also think you can win a super bowl with andy dalton so who knows what I'm thinking.

I guess I have a higher opinion of Andy Dalton from until 2015 than the rest of this board. Let's also not forget that it wasn't too long ago that Matt Ryan couldn't win a big game either.

I didn't think your opinions on this topic could get any more idiotic and yet here we are. At least you have the balls to double down on the lunacy :shrug:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i don't think matt ryan is a hall of famer

i think he's in the hall of very good

that's pretty reasonable

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I think your opinions on the matter belong in the hall of very stupid. We can put this opinion on display next to your opinion of Devin Funchess.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

are you going to formulate an argument or state your disagreement and wait for other posters to bail you out

not even DNS is going to claim matt ryan is a hall of famer

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

are you going to formulate an argument or state your disagreement and wait for other posters to bail you out

not even DNS is going to claim matt ryan is a hall of famer

I don't need to formulate poo poo when all you do is change direction, move goal posts and throw in random arguments like Matt Ryan being a hall of famer. Like lol where did that even come from? Did any of us claim that?

You clearly are beyond reason on the topic so why should I even bother? No one agrees with you here but you, lol I'm not the one needing bailout.

V

I'm over this, I can't even with you anymore. Oi vey.

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

weird Asian candy posted:

I don't need to formulate poo poo when all you do is change direction, move goal posts and throw in random arguments like Matt Ryan being a hall of famer. Like lol where did that even come from? Did any of us claim that?

you called me idiotic for this opinion.

if he's on the same tier as rogers, brees, and brady, he's a hall of famer.

if he's below it, he's on the tier of good qbs who've had a ridiculous season that blew a super bowl, so newton and wilson.

Also I think roethlisberger, maybe eli, maybe rivers, and maybe stafford are there as well. obviously ben and eli have won superbowls, but i dont think anyone would claim they're as good as the other three.

keep in mind this is in response to someone saying ryan is closer to the top three than they are to dalton, but a.) i dont think that's reasonable because those three are just beyond the pale and b.) apparently i think higher of dalton than the rest of this board

• Locked thread