Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Cause we are living in a material world
And I am a material frog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I dunno, use Something.apk instead? Link should be in the OP.

Also lol at everyone discovering the YOSPOS button in 2017. Please don't make me do a tutorial / "did you know" popup for this app :negative:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

I dunno, use Something.apk instead? Link should be in the OP.

Also lol at everyone discovering the YOSPOS button in 2017. Please don't make me do a tutorial / "did you know" popup for this app :negative:

While it's been one of my most wanted features for a long time, it wasn't until Something broke that I started using Awful so I probably just missed its addition.

Also Something has a really annoying bug where it opens the next page scrolled down to the bottom but it doesn't have a frog.

For what it's worth I like the material frog (he's the reason I switched to Awful) and I don't think it looks like Pepe but I can definitely understand why someone might prefer one of their most used apps to not flash a cartoon frog in this day and age. If there was to be icon change, I'd nominate :v: which I feel is the quintessential SA emoticon.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Mister Facetious posted:

Hit the dropdown arrow next to Serious Hardware/Software Crap > YOSPOS (Your OS is a POS). The default is green, but you can change it to amber. It's an homage to the DOS/command line interface days of old. :iia:

Thanks for the explanation :allears:

I really need to read the manual :kiddo:

XenJ fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 19, 2017

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What are you doing with your phone that you see the frog multiple times a day? I'll see it maybe once a day.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The Bloop posted:

And it's not so much that I care what strangers may think of me, although of course I do a little.

Actually a lot. That's your whole concern. You also have unrealistic expectations for how many people see a frog and think White Nationalist. It's an extreme niche internet culture reference. It's not normalizing anything and the swastika reference is hilariously off point.

And this is coming from someone who hates the frog.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The Dave posted:

Actually a lot. That's your whole concern. You also have unrealistic expectations for how many people see a frog and think White Nationalist. It's an extreme niche internet culture reference. It's not normalizing anything and the swastika reference is hilariously off point.

There are very, very few people who would see a frog logo flash by for 2 seconds and think "Nazi".

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

There must be so many Mom's hiding in fear because their children have Frogger installed on their phones.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Dave posted:

It's on the national news regularly now. My parents, who don't use the internet at all beyond yahoo mail, weather dot com, and netflix on their roku stick recognize the symbol and associate it with hate groups. (they don't inderstand it but they recognize it) And no, if you read my post it is not my whole concern. It's honestly a very small part of it. If some rando sees it, regardless of what they think of me it normalizes the symbol. More exposure to it deadens its impact and reinforces the idea that it is a legitimate subculture symbol rather than a hate symbol. Someone who has been a target of hate may not want to see it and I don't want to be even a small part of making the world worse for them. And it does look a lot like a knockoff pepe, it's a green cartoon frog with prominent red lips.

Again though, and I cannot stress this enough, it's something that has crossed my mind, and I thought to ask about it, but it is not a huge deal to me, or in the world. It may have a minimal impact at most on anything, but small things to matter in small ways so I asked about it. I was not trying to create a huge derail and this is probably not the thread to discuss pro-social icon choices or the impact of alt-right iconography on society.

I am not the one making histrionic claims about the effects of frog spotting, just a simple inquiry with a bit of the reasoning behind it.

Thanks again to the Devs for a fantastic app.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We're taking it back. No longer will the nobel frog be a sign of tyranny. Frogs for freedom!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Bloop posted:

It's on the national news regularly now. My parents, who don't use the internet at all beyond yahoo mail, weather dot com, and netflix on their roku stick recognize the symbol and associate it with hate groups. (they don't inderstand it but they recognize it) And no, if you read my post it is not my whole concern. It's honestly a very small part of it. If some rando sees it, regardless of what they think of me it normalizes the symbol. More exposure to it deadens its impact and reinforces the idea that it is a legitimate subculture symbol rather than a hate symbol. Someone who has been a target of hate may not want to see it and I don't want to be even a small part of making the world worse for them. And it does look a lot like a knockoff pepe, it's a green cartoon frog with prominent red lips.

Again though, and I cannot stress this enough, it's something that has crossed my mind, and I thought to ask about it, but it is not a huge deal to me, or in the world. It may have a minimal impact at most on anything, but small things to matter in small ways so I asked about it. I was not trying to create a huge derail and this is probably not the thread to discuss pro-social icon choices or the impact of alt-right iconography on society.

I am not the one making histrionic claims about the effects of frog spotting, just a simple inquiry with a bit of the reasoning behind it.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Meta information on the families of emoticons would be awesome.

Type frogout and you'll get normal frogout but also everything that is a parody of that emoticon.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kermit is the loving best

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

quote:

White nationalism, frogs, and stuff.

God I just realized what everyone's been talking about. :doh:

Well if it's any consolation I haven't exactly been living in a cave (but I have been living on the internet :v:), and it took me this long to even remember that Pepe is a thing.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

hooah posted:

What are you doing with your phone that you see the frog multiple times a day? I'll see it maybe once a day.

If you have an older device (2gb or less RAM, Android 6 or below, etc) and use the same device for lots of stuff while keeping mobile during the day, it tends to kick Awful out of memory enough to trigger the frog splash a good three or more times a day.

I'd had the same concerns about it, but it'd also be nice to be able to change the splash screen anyway for night.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

EVIL Gibson posted:

Meta information on the families of emoticons would be awesome.

Type frogout and you'll get normal frogout but also everything that is a parody of that emoticon.

Curating this sounds like one of Satan's ironic punishments

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I have similar concerns but in the other direction - I live in Brooklyn, an extremely ironic place, so I need to display some amount of countercultural iconography in order to avoid funny looks. This knock off Pepe doesn't do it for the folks on my subway commute - do you think the next version could have an option to display a picture of the fuhrer himself on my home screen?

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Probably better :frogout: than :fedora:

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I vote for party parrot :parrot: still animated of course.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Compromise with :frogsiren: but instead of sirens, it has swastikas made of photo-realistic dicks (swasticocks for future reference). Also a duration over 30 seconds but it only counts the time when the screen is on with the app in-focus.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

sweart gliwere posted:

Compromise with :frogsiren: but instead of sirens, it has swastikas made of photo-realistic dicks (swasticocks for future reference). Also a duration over 30 seconds but it only counts the time when the screen is on with the app in-focus.

IAP: Disable rotating swasticocks on loading screens.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

This app will never have IAPs

*Account feature "no-ads" required to disable rotating swasticocks on loading screens.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sereri posted:

This app will never have IAPs

*Account feature "no-ads" required to disable rotating swasticocks on loading screens.

Can we pay to put rotating swasticocks on other people's screens instead?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
see, rotating swasticocks would actually be better since they would unambiguously be satire

I still don't think I want mandatory swasticock, though

Can you also make the app turn up my volume to max level and scream FETAL BLOODFART when it launches?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The app should play the boogieman video at full volume when not logged in imo

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

Can you also make the app turn up my volume to max level and scream FETAL BLOODFART when it launches?

Don't make the app produce audio. Integrate face detection and mic permissions, engage any proximity sensors and IR emitters+ receivers, and make sure the user has to warble "Do you have stairs in your house?!?" at least 3x as loud as any ambient noise level. While still keeping the splash screen timer. Maybe make us trace the swasticocks as a form of captcha?

It'll be like those Resident Evil 4 button mashing challenges, but for being an idiot goon in public.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe there is a way it will only let you see GBS if you poo poo your pants first.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is anyone having problems with Oreo? I upgraded last night and now Awful either:
- Crash after about 10 seconds (no notification of a crash, it just disappears)
- If it loses focus and I come back to it reloads from start (presumably having crashed invisibly in the background)
- Hangs and eventually produces a "not responding wait/close" message

Nexus 6p, Android 8.0.0, Security Patch Sept 5, Kernel 3.10.73-g10836006bc5 July 24 2017, Build Number OPR6.170623.019
Awful version 3.3.1

Something is weird with this update overall so I'm not even sure Awful is to blame, battery is going down hella fast since this morning, and Chrome is throwing the occasional "cannot load this page" message as well when it didn't before.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I haven't had any issues with Awful over the past week or so of running Oreo on my Nexus 5x. Same version of Awful as you, 3.3.1.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Restarted a couple times and now it's lasting a minute or so before disappearing. Pretty sure Awful isn't to blame here, but in case it is here's the new, more stable behaviour:
- Mostly stable while in use, but only for minutes at a time
- If screen locks will refresh like starting from scratch, but in the forum you're currently in (not the thread, it steps back to the forum)
- If it loses focus/switches to another app it's gone immediately and restarts on the forum list (aggressive garbage collection or invisible crashing?)

The reason I think Awful isn't to blame is that Chrome is acting roughly the same, and battery usage is crazy. On battery saver I have a predicted 12 hours life now, without battery saver 3 hours. Before the Oreo update I'd usually get 18-20 without battery saver.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Been fine on Oreo on my 5x over the past week or so.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
Hey, I'm wondering if it's a software issue on my end that can easily be changed but when I'm using the dark theme the text is next to impossible to read when I'm out and about in the sun. I go to correct a misspelled word and I cannot read at all the dark grey over black text. I can read what I type just fine, just not when I use spellcheck. Something wrong just on my end?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You mean in the editor view? Doesn't it look like this?

God that's huge what the hell

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

baka kaba posted:

You mean in the editor view? Doesn't it look like this?

God that's huge what the hell

I can see what he is saying. Turn down your brightness all the way in a lit room to simulate a bright rear end day.

It's just a theme issue. Would black text on white selection background be good?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Bloop posted:

see, rotating swasticocks would actually be better since they would unambiguously be satire

I still don't think I want mandatory swasticock, though

Awful.apk: I still don't think I want mandatory swasticock, though

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

EVIL Gibson posted:

I can see what he is saying. Turn down your brightness all the way in a lit room to simulate a bright rear end day.

It's just a theme issue. Would black text on white selection background be good?

Well they mentioned black text, but it should always be white in that theme (even when it's selected) so it sounds like something's up!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

baka kaba posted:

Well they mentioned black text, but it should always be white in that theme (even when it's selected) so it sounds like something's up!

Oh yeah, totally agree. It is totally white in the theme.

I see the same thing he does with white text but white on grey can blend together if it's dim enough.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah true, but I think a lot of people use dark themes as a sort of comfortable night mode too. So we gotta be careful we're not cranking the contrast and ruining that, just to counter situations where are people using the app in extreme conditions

But we could probably do with running all the themes through contrast checkers, maybe look at stuff like this and adding accent colours, make sure it's at least hitting the minimum standards. I don't know if colours were chosen with that in mind (I'm guessing probably not!)

Oh yeah while we're on the subject, does anyone else have any accessibility issues? Stuff that's making the app hard to use, or things that are missing if you're using accessibility tools, that kind of thing. You can PM me if you don't want to post about it here

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Why can't I copy an email address that's in a PM? I can copy text, but not emails. Is that an Android thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

baka kaba posted:

True in a quote (I just checked) but in the normal thread view I see dark text when selected

Only registered members can see post attachments!