Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

thats neat

How has the business lobby not killed the WDEA yet? Does the law have any actual teeth?

There have been some pushes to get rid of it, but it isn't a huge deal.

It's only relevant if an employee contests their firing or a businesses contests an unemployment claim. As long as you have some documentation to show that it was a legitimate businesses need to fire them, then you're fine. Most businesses already keep a paper trail anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

cochise posted:

Nearly had a heartattack since my dad asked me to check his info on that site. Him and I have been following the situation and he was worried. He finally bugged me enough to use the equifax check site. It wasn't even an hour ago that I checked for him since he doesn't have a comp or any tech literacy. Luckily it wasn't the phishing site, but the address still caught me for a second.

isn't the equifax check site still only there to trick people into waiving their right to sue? or do you have to sign up for the complimentary credit score protection to do that?

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

thats neat

How has the business lobby not killed the WDEA yet? Does the law have any actual teeth?

There are a lot of ways around this. Underperformance is really easy to prove:
1) Assign insane workload/workload employee isn't familiar with.
2) Wait for employee to get frustrated/fail.
3) Document.
4) Fire.

In some cases you can just fire an employee for being late a certain number of times. Normally a business wouldn't care, but if you want to get rid of an employee, suddenly its a fireable offence.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Condiv posted:

isn't the equifax check site still only there to trick people into waiving their right to sue?

No, they "clarified" that you are only subject to mandatory arbitration if you buy their premium identity fraud monitoring system.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jizz Festival posted:

This isn't about statistical analysis, it's about how raising IQ (or in my example, training engineers) doesn't necessaeily change the composition of jobs that exist. Just because you train a bunch of engineers doesnt mean that more of the economy will be made up of higher paying enginewring jobs. In the same way, raising the IQ of children does not mean that a larger portion of jobs will be higher paying.

You have literally no idea what you're talking about. Feel free to dig up some evidence that supports any of your idiot ideas (you won't find any), but until you do people are going to quote you and say "moron" over and over until you shut up.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Mustached Demon posted:

Shut up condiv.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Shut up Condiv.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

nah

i think dems trying to have a bipartisan bill that slashes ppaca is a bad idea. it only helps the republicans pick ppaca apart, it doesn't defend obamacare at all

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

thats neat

not really. the law doesn't require an employer to prove good cause, just reasonable belief of good cause. it's really hard to win a lawsuit under it, damages are limited by statute and can be as little as zero if the employer gets a comparable job, and there's basically no enforcement other than employees filing suit.

also, it's montana. it has more bears than people.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

You have literally no idea what you're talking about. Feel free to dig up some evidence that supports any of your idiot ideas (you won't find any), but until you do people are going to quote you and say "moron" over and over until you shut up.

Lol "you're wrong you're just gonna have to trust me on this though because I can't actually explain why. I'm sure the answer is in some book somewhere."

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pretend I posted a YouTube of all the times Wesley was told to shut up on Star trek except it's actually condiv.

Shut up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mustached Demon posted:

Pretend I posted a YouTube of all the times Wesley was told to shut up on Star trek except it's actually condiv.

Shut up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edflm7Hh3hs

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jizz Festival posted:

Lol "you're wrong you're just gonna have to trust me on this though because I can't actually explain why. I'm sure the answer is in some book somewhere."

People have explained it to you repeatedly and you quote them and say "I disagree, I think something I made up is going on instead"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Mustached Demon posted:

Shut up.

did you know the something awful forums have an ignore function? if you don't want to read my posts you can use it and save yourself some pain

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

People have explained it to you repeatedly and you quote them and say "I disagree, I think something I made up is going on instead"

Nope.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

It's amazing.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've been pretty specific about what my issue is with that i infographic and have gotten vague appeals to human capital as a response. Jazerus responded with how an increase in IQ could increase productivity, but that doesn't mecessarily change the composition of jobs so that there are more higher-paying, higher skill ones.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jizz Festival posted:

I've been pretty specific about what my issue is with that i infographic and have gotten vague appeals to human capital as a response. Jazerus responded with how an increase in IQ could increase productivity, but that doesn't mecessarily change the composition of jobs so that there are more higher-paying, higher skill ones.

It's because we all think you have a really low IQ and are tired of talking with you. Take the hint.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Explorer posted:

It's because we all think you have a really low IQ and are tired of talking with you. Take the hint.

Because you can't actually explain how I'm wrong because I'm not.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jizz Festival posted:

Because you can't actually explain how I'm wrong because I'm not.

Your conjectures were pulled out of your rear end and would require someone taking you step by step through basic economics and nobody wants to bother because you're not very smart.

Again, feel free to post your actual hypothesis and some data or research backing it up. You aren't going to, so nobody's going to waste their time on you.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

not even the black aliens can catch a break

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Here's a vox article interviewing GOP senators about their idiotic repeal attempts

Inhofe posted:

Jeff Stein

What’s the policy explanation for the Graham-Cassidy bill? What substantive problems does this solve?
Jim Inhofe

Well, first of all, as a general rule the states do things better than the federal government does [things]. And that is essentially what the bill is. We actually had a bill that passed, except at the last minute — as you know — we had one deciding vote against it that was unforeseen. And I think what we’re looking at right now is essentially the same thing.

It’s a stronger position for the states to be in, and generally, Republicans agree with that.
Jeff Stein

I understand what you’re saying with the states having the ability to make these decisions, but the bill doesn’t just “give states more freedom” — it also cuts federal funding to the states. So it’s not just about giving the states more control; it’s also about cutting federal expenditures, right?
Jim Inhofe

Well, yes, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to be — I think the efficiencies that come with transferring the funding to the states can very well make up the difference between what the federal thing would be.

A philosophical difference — you know?
Jeff Stein

No, what do you mean?
Jim Inhofe

I mean it’s more efficient when it’s done from the states, and so they can do it with less money.
Jeff Stein

Are you confident, and how do you know those savings will be close to enough to protect everyone?
Jim Inhofe

Well, nothing protects everyone.

my senator is such a shitbag :ughh:

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

Your conjectures were pulled out of your rear end and would require someone taking you step by step through basic economics and nobody wants to bother because you're not very smart.

Again, feel free to post your actual hypothesis and some data or research backing it up. You aren't going to, so nobody's going to waste their time on you.

I'd love to see the research showing that raising someone's IQ makes their job pay them more, rather than higher IQ people getting jobs that pay more.

My hypothesis is that someone with a higher IQ makes more money because they're able to attain the skills necessary to compete for higher-paying jobs. Not a particularly wild hypothesis, in my opinion.

If this is the case, raising the IQ levels of a generation of children will not becessarily result in higher-paying jobs for everyone because the composition of higher-paying jobs has not necessarily increased from the raising of IQ levels.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lemming posted:

He did. It was that the article didn't make sense.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I feel repealing Obama care is the pragmatic solution to the problem of the markets collapsing from no federal help.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jizz Festival posted:

Nope, not my argument at all. I was pointing out how wrong it is to use data on how IQ affects income as a way to calculate the return you would get from raising the IQ of future children.

It's like if I started a program to train 100,000 new engineers and claimed that the return on this investment would be the average engineer's income - unskilled income * 100,000. 100,000 new engineering jobs, all paying at current rates, are not going to replace 100,000 unskilled jobs to meet the new supply of talent. That infographic I was criticizing was essentially doing this but with IQ.

If there are 100,000 unfilled engineering positions, then yes it will almost exactly like that. But your narrow focus on "jobs" of one particular type is causing you to completely miss the point. If overall IQ/intelligence/productivity of a population increases, their economic output will increase. Economic output is not just "salaries from employment." Even taking your example, which is dumb and misses the point, lets say we train more people to have engineering skills than there are current open positions for engineers. Those people will find other work and be better at it because of the skills and training they have. I'm a lawyer and accountant by trade, but because I've been the youngest person in the small offices I've worked for, I've also done a lot of the IT around the office. I'm not "in an IT job" but having basic computer skills has allowed me to be better at the jobs I did have, which improved company performance and improved my pay.

Let's put it another way. Imagine you take the economy we have now, then we immediately halve the IQ/intelligence/productivity of the population. Do you think that will decrease economic output?

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Jizz Festival posted:

I'd love to see the research showing that raising someone's IQ makes their job pay them more, rather than higher IQ people getting jobs that pay more.

My hypothesis is that someone with a higher IQ makes more money because they're able to attain the skills necessary to compete for higher-paying jobs. Not a particularly wild hypothesis, in my opinion.

If this is the case, raising the IQ levels of a generation of children will not becessarily result in higher-paying jobs for everyone because the composition of higher-paying jobs has not necessarily increased from the raising of IQ levels.

This only works if you think that there is a finite limit on high-skill jobs, rather than jobs being a product of productivity of the economy.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Right To Work Is A Rip-Off according to two or three bumper stickers a day around here.

Tell me more, so I can win the local red-district election using this one weird trick centrists don't want you to know.

afraid you've conflated two different problems there, friend

democratic language that tests well includes things like "medicare for all" and "better wages." this is not a secret. they are part of the reason why the most popular politician in America is Bernie Sanders.

unfortunately, the reason democrats will not use the language that focus tests well is because, unless committed to whole-heartedly, it actually reduces their chances of winning elections.

see, if you're operating in a world where people vote for the person they've heard a good thing about most recently, the thing that decides elections is money. and it is a much more efficient moneymaking scheme to sell your vote to rich people than it is to ask a bunch of people for small donations.

and it turns out, for some reason, the people in a position to hit the donation cap to a campaign get really skitchy about donating to people running on "I'm Going To Redistribute Your Money To Poor People."

a half-assed embrace of these incredibly-popular-but-not-with-donors policies does nothing but reduce the amount of money you have to run on, and as in any discipline, faced with the choice between gambling everything and trying to conserve a slowly dwindling power base, pretty much everyone picks option 2.

end result: the party that lost every level of the federal government to Donald Trump both knew and knows what messages test well with voters. and they will refuse to use them until such time as their hand is forced, because you don't make it to the top by being willing to gamble with your entire business model.

systemic incentives: huuuuge pain in the rear end.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jizz Festival posted:

It's not wrong but it's also not complete. Someone with a higher IQ within a population will be more competitive for the best jobs in that population. Yes, great. But when a population has a higher IQ, the total economic output of that population will increase. It's not as though "jobs" is some number fixed by an outside source. The available employment opportunities are based on the economic output and activity of an area. Higher IQ employees will do better at work and their salaries will increase. Have you ever gotten a raise before? Often when you get a raise, it's because you've done a good job, and you might not have been able to do a good job if you were significantly dumber. If you've never gotten a raise before then, uh, well I've got some news for you.

IQ is obviously a dumb stand in for intelligence, and all the normal criticisms of the IQ test apply. We're using it here as the best measurable stand in for intelligence at the moment.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

PerniciousKnid posted:

Right To Work Is A Rip-Off according to two or three bumper stickers a day around here.

Tell me more, so I can win the local red-district election using this one weird trick centrists don't want you to know.

we've had a few dems win in blood red states like oklahoma on messages like "more funding for public schools", "fight for workers' rights", "fight back against corporate influence", and "rehabilitation not incarceration". running to the left pulling in wins isn't as crazy as you're making it out to be

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

meh, we already have catastrophic care plans (I assume copper would be slightly better than those). 'wide waivers' is rather concerning.

I think it's more, Schumer thinks that stabilizing insurance markets is worth giving relatively minor* concessions.

*again 'wide waivers' might be a majorly bad thing, dunno what exactly that would entail

True, but I think there's a fair point that a lot of Democratic leaders have the mindset that they will win points with voters if they show themselves to be more willing to be bipartisan, when that's unfortunately not the case. Being the "adult in the room" doesn't seem to earn politicians extra credit at this moment in time.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

Higher IQ employees will do better at work and their salaries will increase. Have you ever gotten a raise before? Often when you get a raise, it's because you've done a good job, and you might not have been able to do a good job if you were significantly dumber. If you've never gotten a raise before then, uh, well I've got some news for you.

What's this centrist bullshit about how you get a raise if you do a good job? In America when productivity goes up 10%, the owner gets a raise and 10% of the workers get laid off.

Also the guy who invented NCAA brackets was probably an egg head and I'm pretty sure he kills productivity almost as much as ol' Midge.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 20, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
stop blathering about iq

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

What's this centrist bullshit about how you get a raise if you do a good job? In America when productivity goes up 10%, the owner gets a raise and 10% of the workers get laid off.

Also the guy who invented NCAA brackets was probably an egg head and I'm pretty sure he kills productivity almost as much as ol' Midge.

Overall there are plenty of things to gently caress up wage growth but it doesn't mean intelligence isn't an upwards pressure.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
IQ is crap and not real and really something cognitive scientists actually use much anymore so stop talking about it.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lemming posted:

Overall there are plenty of things to gently caress up wage growth but it doesn't mean intelligence isn't an upwards pressure.

which for some reason hasn't functioned since 1980

weird

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

Just because you've never gotten a raise doesn't mean I'm a centrist.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lemming posted:

it doesn't mean intelligence isn't an upwards pressure.

It probably is, but probably not a large one.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ze Pollack posted:

which for some reason hasn't functioned since 1980

weird

I guess lead causes wage growth

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Hellblazer187 posted:

Just because you've never gotten a raise doesn't mean I'm a centrist.

tbh, i've never gotten a raise either. though i'm supposed to get one this year after working here for 3 years, so hopefully :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The real benefit independent of IQ is you have a bunch more people working and contributing to the economy instead of rotting in jail or bouncing between social services due to lead-related behavioral issues

• Locked thread