Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Some people shouldn't be allowed to have kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My Disney friends said the kid is autistic and Disney just gave them a lecture instead of the trespassing charge

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Autistic or not, you have to control your child. Those parents should be shamed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Agreed, I don't blame kids for being kids, but it does bug me when parents let kids be terrible in public. That said, I'm happy that kid had a good time :v:

Anyone doing Mickey's Halloween party Oct 1st? We're going as a group dressed as Luke, Rey, Kylo, and Han. Got the old Luke outfit and dying my beard grey and all, pretty excited!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
God I am having to hold my tongue on this one..

gently caress it.. this is why they need alligators in that pool.

There, I said it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Planning my x-mas trip and was relieved to see we'll be able to see the normal fireworks once if we go the day after we arrive.

I've got breakfast on lock and lunch at the Skipper Canteen but am at a loss for dinner. What's worthwhile? Is Sleepy Hollow open late enough to qualify as dinner?

This is my annual statement about how much I hate the Jingle Cruise and love the Jungle Cruise.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I dunno about everyone else but my favorite dinner in MK is liberty treen tavern. I book it every time I go and there is always a slot open even the day of. Love me some Thanksgiving like feastin. Skip the salad and get the unlimited meat sweats going ,but save room for the bread.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Beachcomber posted:

Planning my x-mas trip and was relieved to see we'll be able to see the normal fireworks once if we go the day after we arrive.

I've got breakfast on lock and lunch at the Skipper Canteen but am at a loss for dinner. What's worthwhile? Is Sleepy Hollow open late enough to qualify as dinner?

This is my annual statement about how much I hate the Jingle Cruise and love the Jungle Cruise.

Aside from Skipper Canteen, I don't think there's anywhere in MK that really impresses me food wise. There's a good chance sleepy hollow will be open late during holiday season, so hit up that chicken waffle sandwich.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Beachcomber posted:

Libertry Tree Tavern is probably the best sit down dinner option that isn't Skipper's. Columbia Harbor House is good, as is Plaza Restaurant (loaded fries, yay).

After 4 trips in a row around the holidays, I'm psyched this time to go and not have the Jingle Cruise crap again. Like how I felt with Disneyland and the Nightmare Before Christmas mansion overlay. Fun for a bit, but man it gets old fast

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
How is crystal palace for dinner?

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Quixotic1 posted:

I dunno about everyone else but my favorite dinner in MK is liberty treen tavern. I book it every time I go and there is always a slot open even the day of. Love me some Thanksgiving like feastin. Skip the salad and get the unlimited meat sweats going ,but save room for the bread.

Liberty Tree Tavern is top notch - after our latest trip its our favorite spot too. The food is good, and the atmosphere is pretty fun with a good personable staff.

I was super excited to return to Le Cellier at Epcot/Canada after loving it our first time there around 4-5 years ago. The menu changed and the food doesn't hold up at all compared to the pepper steak of old. Also, it's the only place on the entire set of properties (that I've been to) that doesn't do drink refills.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

santanotreal posted:

I've heard good things.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

santanotreal posted:

We like it. One of the better buffets (along with Tusker and Biergarten). The menu is pretty unique and has some unexpected flavors like the friend plantains and other Caribbean inspired flavors (at least that was the case two years ago). The Pooh characters are also pretty charming, in particular the Tigger we saw accidentally take out a toddler with his tail.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

santanotreal posted:

It's a good character meal. Tigger has a lot of personality usually. Food is good.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Quixotic1 posted:

Also save room for dessert. The toffee cake is divine.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Getting some more ink tomorrow on my arm and it's a Haunted Mansion design. Already have some PotC work on the flipside of that arm. Stoked.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Quixotic1 posted:

My concern with a buffet is that we almost never get our money's worth because we both fill up pretty quickly...

Do they have mashed potatoes and/or are they good?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Beachcomber posted:

Do they have mashed potatoes and/or are they good?

Yes, yes.

But you'll fill up quickly eating them.

So just eat more meat.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
We've had Cocina Fronterra, Morimoto's, and Blaze Pizza at Disney Springs. Loved them all.

What should we try next?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Went to Crystal Palace for dinner a few months ago, menu has been americized. Bangers and Cabbage was the most exotic it got, no Carrie an Food. Good but not exceptional.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Reinanigans posted:

We've had Cocina Fronterra, Morimoto's, and Blaze Pizza at Disney Springs. Loved them all.

What should we try next?

D-Luxe Burger! Get all the sauces and a milkshake. The southern burger with the fried green tomato and pimento cheese is my favorite.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Boathouse is pretty good. You can get away with some quality food for decent prices if you look to the lower end of the menu.
Speaking of Disney Springs dining, are there any updates on the opening of The Edison?

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Campbell posted:

Liberty Tree Tavern is top notch - after our latest trip its our favorite spot too. The food is good, and the atmosphere is pretty fun with a good personable staff.

I was super excited to return to Le Cellier at Epcot/Canada after loving it our first time there around 4-5 years ago. The menu changed and the food doesn't hold up at all compared to the pepper steak of old. Also, it's the only place on the entire set of properties (that I've been to) that doesn't do drink refills.

I'll have to disagree, LTT was easily (by a mile) the worst meal we had on our entire vacation, including the Chili's in the nasty airport. Biggest waste of money of the trip, it was disgustingly bad.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

poolside toaster posted:

I'll have to disagree, LTT was easily (by a mile) the worst meal we had on our entire vacation, including the Chili's in the nasty airport. Biggest waste of money of the trip, it was disgustingly bad.

what

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I was considering doing WDW for my 30th birthday. I have a handful of friends that are already in for it and was trying to find info on group pricing. Some are hanging around as maybes until I can get real quotes for them. Is there a good way to figure this out? I was thinking of staying off site in a cheap hotel since some of my friends aren't ballers, but still maybe want to go. We were going to road trip from KY and do a few days at WDW then beach it.

Basically point me in the way to do WDW on the cheaper side? My tentative dates are March 1-March6/7.

If not prob change it to going somewhere like Tampa or Miami.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 20, 2017

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

They only way to get group rates at Disney is to get 10 rooms. Not 10 people, 10 rooms. The best way to do Disney onsite cheap is to put 4 people in an All Star room. Or you can do family suites at All Star Music.

Offsite hotels are cheaper, but you have to watch for their resort fees. A lot of them charge $15 - $30 per night in resort fees, basically negating any savings. And if you plan to drive to the parks everyday, it's $20 per day to park at Disney park. A lot of offsite resorts do have shuttles, but they stop running at stupid hours. For instance, I called a Holiday Inn on behalf of a client once and their shuttle ran from 8 am to 3 pm daily. That's it.

Just keep those things in mind, is all I'm saying.

KabukiJoe
Nov 19, 2002

cheese eats mouse posted:

I was considering doing WDW for my 30th birthday. I have a handful of friends that are already in for it and was trying to find info on group pricing. Some are hanging around as maybes until I can get real quotes for them. Is there a good way to figure this out? I was thinking of staying off site in a cheap hotel since some of my friends aren't ballers, but still maybe want to go. We were going to road trip from KY and do a few days at WDW then beach it.

Basically point me in the way to do WDW on the cheaper side? My tentative dates are March 1-March6/7.

If not prob change it to going somewhere like Tampa or Miami.

To be honest "cheap hotels" aren't going to be much cheaper than the convenience of staying in the value resorts or splitting a larger room after you consider parking and renting a car/ubers and other costs that are just built in when you stay on-site.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I have a post a while back in here if you click the question mark to view all my posts, but I compared several hotels surrounding Disney and Universal to the rates at mid-level Disney resorts and found that Disney was only slightly more expensive and came with a ton of benefits (closeness to the parks and bus services, food, stores, customer service, etc.). There's really no reason to stay at an offsite resort unless you're totally unable to book a room at Disney because they're at capacity.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Braksgirl posted:

Just keep those things in mind, is all I'm saying.
And she won't say it, but I will... Get Braksgirl to plan your trip.

She has helped dozens of goons navigate the confusing labyrinth of Disney booking, and she's gotten many of us a good bit extra for our money (which is surprisingly hard to do when you're dealing with Disney).

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Look to see if your employer has any kind of "Tickets at Work" service. We use my wife's service and find offsite hotels at nice discounts ($20-40 a night off), which covers the resort fees and more.

We always stay at the resorts right next to Disney Springs which have direct shuttles that run at least an hour or two after closing. Paying for parking and driving to Disney sucks.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Group ticket rates start at 32 people also.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
drat OK then I guess to make things more accessible for my other friends I'll ex this idea and look into a Florida/Savannah/maybe Asheville trip.

The weather is so poo poo where I live in the winter something like WDW sounded like fun :(

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

If you'd like me to put something together for you, I'd be happy to do that. Before you nix the idea altogether. Also, there aren't any 2018 discounts yet. There will most likely be one available for March later on this year.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I stayed at B Resort right next to Disney Springs and never had to wait for a bus or had any problems with the schedule. They even ran until 1am for Halloween party goers.

If I go again, I'm definitely either staying onsite or at one of the six hotels on that street. Walking distance to disney springs was actually so nice I might lean toward the latter.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Funkmaster General posted:

I stayed at B Resort right next to Disney Springs and never had to wait for a bus or had any problems with the schedule. They even ran until 1am for Halloween party goers.

If I go again, I'm definitely either staying onsite or at one of the six hotels on that street. Walking distance to disney springs was actually so nice I might lean toward the latter.

This guy gets it.

I think your trip and mine actually overlapped. We stayed at the Best Western on that street. Trying the Windham in November.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also wanna say that if money is tight don't feel bad about staying at a place like Pop. After being stuck in a room at the AKL for three days I was wishing to be at Pop because it's a lot more spread out so you don't have a million children screaming and running right outside your doors. Granted it felt and looked nicer but push comes to shove Pop is nice also.

Just don't stay at a All Star.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I have a friend wanting to go to Universal for Halloween Horror Nights, and she's wondering if they shut other things down while it's going on (Harry Potter stuff in particular). Does anyone know?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

I also wanna say that if money is tight don't feel bad about staying at a place like Pop. After being stuck in a room at the AKL for three days I was wishing to be at Pop because it's a lot more spread out so you don't have a million children screaming and running right outside your doors. Granted it felt and looked nicer but push comes to shove Pop is nice also.

Just don't stay at a All Star.

All Star Movies is awesome you heathen :colbert:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

WhiteHowler posted:

I have a friend wanting to go to Universal for Halloween Horror Nights, and she's wondering if they shut other things down while it's going on (Harry Potter stuff in particular). Does anyone know?

Diagon Alley remains open during HHN and isn't any different

I do wish they'd do a death eater and/or dementor overlay during HHN one of these years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

Diagon Alley remains open during HHN and isn't any different

I do wish they'd do a death eater and/or dementor overlay during HHN one of these years

I'm now imagining scare-actors hassling any guests in wizard robes or Harry Potter apparel.