Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Karma is the greatest comedian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Karma is the greatest comedian.

It comes and goes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

I kinda see where this is coming from. A lot of major industries now are not focusing on creating goods or providing services directly, but rather on bringing those with goods/services together with those who want to buy. Not sure about calling bitcoin a bank tho.

Even if it were, and even if you could liquidate all of the Dunning-Krugerrands at the current price (hint - you can't, a movement of less than 0.1% moves the price 10-15%), it still wouldn't make it into the top 5 banks in the UK, let alone the world. The rest of the measures are similarly bullshit:

- Taxi companies tend to be regional, Uber aren't the largest in any market that I'm aware of
- I don't even know how you measure "most popular media owner", not least because Facebook don't actually own any media, just license it from their users
- Alibaba aren't a retailer and if they were Amazon would swallow them without chewing on actual trade volume (their market cap is massively, massively hyped at the moment, and I think I'm beginning to detect a pattern here)
- Airbnb are big but as they're just non-exclusive listings they're not competing against Hilton and Holiday Inn, but the likes of expedia and hotels.com who absolutely dwarf them in terms of rooms available and bookings

So what's actually happening is we're hitting the peak of Dotcom Boom 2.0, where this time instead of the bubble at least having the pleasant side-effect of funding massive infrastructure and technological improvements, it's disappearing directly up the noses of people with stupid facial hair (and into the pockets of legislators because the business model of all but Facebook is "Wouldn't it be cool if we could do <thing that already exists> but not have to actually obey any of the laws governing that thing?").

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One of the top replies in that twitter feed is another gofundme from a week ago or so, so it’s screaming scam.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It is with a heavy heart I must report that the Google memo guy is at it again
https://twitter.com/JamesADamore/status/910541338961108993
https://twitter.com/JamesADamore/status/910547650407055360

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
That take is undergoing fusion

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/20/emma-kelty-british-kayaker-brazil

quote:

Posting on social media on 10 September, Emma Kelty joked about a warning she had been given about the stretch of the Amazon river she was about to enter. “So in or near Coari (60 miles) I will have my boat stolen and I will be killed too,” she wrote. “Nice.”

The following day, as she neared Coari, on the banks of the Solimões river, an Amazon tributary, Kelty triggered a distress signal. [...] She was shot twice with a 20-gauge sawn-off shotgun and dumped in the river.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Man white people really don't ever think their privilege might not apply huh?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Man that's sad but holy gently caress, everyone told you "do not go there. The people there will steal your expensive white girl poo poo, shoot you, and dump you in a river" and then she went there, and they stole her poo poo, shot her, and dumped her in a river.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

quote:

After Kelty’s distress call, authorities had launched a search operation involving 60 people, including divers scouring the riverbed

Quite an effort for a missing foreigner.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
That's not sad, that's hilarious.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

tyblazitar posted:

I try not to take pleasure in people being robbed and murdered in terror, even if they brought it on themselves by being idiots. I don't always succeed.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

tyblazitar posted:

Ah I remember being an edgy teenager.

gently caress off, mom and dad

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Glagha posted:

Man that's sad but holy gently caress, everyone told you "do not go there. The people there will steal your expensive white girl poo poo, shoot you, and dump you in a river" and then she went there, and they stole her poo poo, shot her, and dumped her in a river.

You know, best case scenario was that she paddles through without incident and gets to :smug: "well, looks like all you people saying it was dangerous were wrong" but the reality is that if she had gone through without incident those people weren't wrong, she was just incredibly lucky.

This happens all the time in online discussions around climbing/canyoneering where someone will boast about some practice that is super unsafe and can be made 500x safer with an extra 4 seconds or with correct equipment/training. Some idiot will say "well, I've done that for 20 years and I'm still alive".
Then whenever there's a fatal accident their weepy family will tell the newspaper that they were so experienced and they just got unlucky and it was a freak accident etc. etc., when 98+% of the time they screwed up badly and obviously in a way that actual experts can recognize right away.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

canyoneer posted:

You know, best case scenario was that she paddles through without incident and gets to :smug: "well, looks like all you people saying it was dangerous were wrong" but the reality is that if she had gone through without incident those people weren't wrong, she was just incredibly lucky.

This happens all the time in online discussions around climbing/canyoneering where someone will boast about some practice that is super unsafe and can be made 500x safer with an extra 4 seconds or with correct equipment/training. Some idiot will say "well, I've done that for 20 years and I'm still alive".
Then whenever there's a fatal accident their weepy family will tell the newspaper that they were so experienced and they just got unlucky and it was a freak accident etc. etc., when 98+% of the time they screwed up badly and obviously in a way that actual experts can recognize right away.

Someone post the photoshop of the Canadian Mt. Everest lady.

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016
Seriously, why bother to hire a guide if your response to their warning about dangerous river pirates is "lol *mimes jacking off*"?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

canyoneer posted:

This happens with every hobby with any sort of dangerous factor to it. After 80 years of using a tablesaw my grandpa shortened his thumb up a little bit. He'll still tell you the way he does things is ok.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

canyoneer posted:

Yes this is an old tale. Like when you see a show about some extreme biker riding on the guard rail on a mountain bridge and you can already see the future interview with his mates "He was always so careful and knew what he was doing"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
OK you can walk on this left path for an hour which has a 1 in 800 chance of serious injury or death but is about 2 minutes shorter than the right side path.
Or you can take the right side path that has a 1 in 800,000 chance of serious injury or death.

"Pfftt, pussies. I am experienced and know what I'm doing"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

mds2 posted:

This happens with every hobby with any sort of dangerous factor to it. After 80 years of using a tablesaw my grandpa shortened his thumb up a little bit. He'll still tell you the way he does things is ok.

Well he's already cut off the part that was in danger.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What're you gonna do, steal my boat and kill me?

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

There is certainly the schadenfreude aspect of her publicly mocking the warnings on social media.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/stavvers/status/910199858207838209

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Sarcopenia posted:

Someone post the photoshop of the Canadian Mt. Everest lady.

I got ya.

As I've said in the Everest threads, this image is a particular type of ridiculous. She photoshopped herself into a location that's an hour and a half from a major international airport, 15 minutes from the main highway in the country, to a lake with paved wheelchair access year round. To prove she was set to climb Everest.

She wasn't.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

It's not for nothing that Stetson Kennedy, who infiltrated the Klan in the 1940s, compared KKK members to children pretending to be spies: both groups invent complicated systems of mysteeeerious codenames and counter-signs so they can feel like they're part of something important. The main difference - besides the racist terrorism - is that the children know deep down that they're playing a game, but the "adults" in the KKK think they're doing something real and meaningful.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I remember a friend of mine knew a girl who's father had a yacht somewhere around India (Can't remember exactly where) and she wanted to get some of her friends together to sail the boat down the east coast of Africa around the horn and up to Spain. These were all supposedly intelligent college students with minor outdoor survival training. Pretty rich and privileged (To use the parlance of our times). My point is, none of them were S.A.S. or Delta force operators.

I remember asking my giddy excited friend if he was a total moron and after 3 tries he managed to guess the country on the east coast of Africa that was known for piracy. But it took an insane amount of arguing before he would admit I had a point. (very little training, the fact it would take months, harbor, fuel, protection and all that good poo poo. Despite my warnings and asking him to tell her to call the embassy in at least one of the countries they would be passing to ask if they thought it was safe. They still went on as if they were planning a convention. Thankfully in the end her father put the kibosh on the whole farce. But it amazed me at the time how so many supposedly educated intelligent people could be so stupid and reckless. They would have gone ahead with it (or tried) if her father had not stepped in. They had the money.

The kinda sad thing about the woman on the Amazon is that she has been through a ton of survival poo poo before and I wonder if it was pride more than anything else that stopped her from popping smoke and getting the gently caress out of dodge. I mean, it still amounts to stupidity. But her motivation must have been "I won't let them scare me" eh, sorry love. That's why fear exists.

I always remember that underwater cave that has the grim reaper sign outside and has killed nearly triple digits of divers or something and last year or so some rear end in a top hat brought his sons there. (They all died)

Lonos Oboe has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Sep 20, 2017

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Dejawesp posted:

There is certainly the schadenfreude aspect of her publicly mocking the warnings on social media.

I think we can probably feel sorry for her murder and feel horrified at her foolhardiness at the same time? Hope others will learn from this, at least.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
What an important lesson that'll hopefully resonate with every other stupid person wanting to do poo poo like that.

Naah.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

:negative:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
can someone tell me once and for all...is this because of TOO much bullying or NOT enough bullying?

need to adjust my behavior accordingly

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

canyoneer posted:

The parallels are uncanny.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Picnic Princess posted:

I got ya.

As I've said in the Everest threads, this image is a particular type of ridiculous. She photoshopped herself into a location that's an hour and a half from a major international airport, 15 minutes from the main highway in the country, to a lake with paved wheelchair access year round. To prove she was set to climb Everest.

She wasn't.

did she die?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

can someone tell me once and for all...is this because of TOO much bullying or NOT enough bullying?

Not enough. The problem is we stop bullying after high school.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's actually severe, late stage irony poisoning

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

CommonShore posted:

did she die?

Very much so.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I reverse image searched the photo to find an article and google identified it as Lake Louise. Fuckin' lol.

my sympathy to her family

oh poo poo CBC even used that image in their articles about her:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/everest-team-moves-toronto-woman-s-body-lower-down-mountain-1.1198741
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/everest-victim-s-husband-says-family-not-seeking-government-help-1.1246000

CommonShore has a new favorite as of 21:00 on Sep 20, 2017

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Pyramid schemes are messed up.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

CommonShore posted:

did she die?

btw when you die on everest your body will stay there (because no one has the energy to spare to carry the body around) and not decompose (because of the cold)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

btw when you die on everest your body will stay there (because no one has the energy to spare to carry the body around) and not decompose (because of the cold)

Not if you're willing to pay!

quote:

[She] had standard repatriation insurance that should help cover the cost of the recovery attempt, which some have estimated could run as high as $50,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Seems like a pretty dope place to die honestly. Just wait until you're like 90, get as high as you can (and then get as high as you can on Everest) and then future generations have to deal with your stupid Ice Mummy forever and name some landmark after you like The Dead Chode With Zubaz Pants On Cave.