Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EVIL Gibson posted:

So this is the reason larger is now a bless. Makes match ups super awkward. Human barely able to hit a giant in the head with a long rear end Pike might not be able to if the giant is made larger .

I have now more concrete data:

Enlarge Bless: +1 size +30% HP +3 strength -1 defence +2 mapmove.
Does nothing for size 6, also size 4+ units now get an automatic +1 weapon length.

I think it's the same as before, except for the added +2 mapmove? I haven't played in ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
having 30% more map hp and 3 strength is cool for surviving remote attack spells and also sieging good

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some new spells

And some items

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Time stop? Sounds great for communion casting

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It's effectively a world slow rather than a real stop, where a caster gets 500 auts of casting in 100 auts of turn (which do still occur as it's going on).

More useful for innate spellcasters who don't have additional casting time ever, less so for regular bums. Also really really finicky about getting fired, seems to need a higher "trigger" than most gem-requiring casting.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
please make a gif of the first couple time stopping and casting smite 14 times

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Dirk the Average posted:

Might be a good suggestion to give weapons bonuses or penalties vs damaging or getting around shields on a per weapon basis instead of based on damage types.

Yes, all 677+ weapons :rolleyes:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I edited my previous summary posts, adding a few extra things. You may want to take another look. I will re-quote imo the most important part, more UI changes:

quote:

A dotted colored line indicates province connections. Color indicate :
Road between province, green
Normal connection, orangey yellow
Mountain is red (fades to indicate passability)
River is blue inside yellow (again fades)
Blue is underwater/to water province.

Spell lists show gem cost and type (ritual or not) more clearly.

Magic sites show up as square icons in the map.

Events show thumbnail image of the location of where it happened.

Reorganized battle orders screens so 'choose target' is integrated in the same window.

You see magic paths while placing a mage in the battlefield (editing the position in army setup).

You can move squads in the Position Army Box by right clicking them without having to go to previous screen. And Commanders are rounded squares unlike normal squads (squares as always).

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 13, 2017

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Any news on how much scripting we can do? Is it still going to be limited to 5 turns?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

Any news on how much scripting we can do? Is it still going to be limited to 5 turns?

Yeah, I don't think that part changed. I requested a pair of times a 'hold 3/4 turns and attack' order in Steam forums, but it doesn't seem I'm going to have luck.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The lines on the map are this:

Road between province, green
Normal connection, orangey yellow
Mountain is red (fades to indicate passability)
River is blue inside yellow (again fades)
Blue is underwater/to water province.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 13, 2017

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ty jBereton, I updadet my previous post..

Some new stuff

Kailasa
Guhyaka generals are not StR.

Sidhe nations get a national item: Shillelaigh (Const 0, luck and retinue 1 sprite)

Ulm
National items like Black Halberd (with extra AoE damage to sacreds)
Discount to blacksteel shield and copper arms

MA Marignon
Discounts on the Flambeau

Jomon
Ryujin 20% cheaper, it has a dragon pearl (1 water gem for battle)

Insane commanders revert to previous orders when they go sane again.

New UI screen: Battle Overview, pressing F1 in a battle. Shows a list of every unit participating. It can filter by unit type, nation, HP, FP, XP. There's also a "status" column, but not filterable. ("Status" shows things like "dead" or "stunned.")

Box Army setup: you can see the all the troops contained in a selected squad, and the map has lines indicating 25%, 50%, 75% distance (in the X axis).

Casting spells works this way: if a spell needs one round (100% casting time), 0.5 rounds is used preparing the spell (mage could be interrupted here), then it's casted, then the following 0.5 rounds is time recovering (mage does nothing).

Blood spells are slower than normal (125%-150% ). Hell Power is 200%. Blood Rain at 275%.

Battlefield spells are slow. Examples:
Light of the Northern Star 225%, Power of the Spheres is 125%, Will of the Fates 225%. Antimagic is 150%.

Spell Conj3 N2 10gems sumons 5+ buffalos, for Middle East Nations

You need X3 in magical path to gain the related passive resist

Gloves of the Gladiator buffed (+3 str, +1 MR, +1 att than before)

Thunder Whip now has less base damage but 'chain shock' effect (3 AN chaining 3)

Ring of Returning. Const 6 S3. Returning on damage. It's the 'safe' returning.

The heart of Quickness. Const6 B3. Reinv2, Quickness, map Move +12, cursed.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

My heart is augmented.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Have they given any thought to a "do not cast" list? Some spells can be devastating to your own armies, or just aren't worth wasting fatigue on.

Like, if you want to skelespam, you might want some dudes who can only cast skeleton raising spells and who don't bother with anything else.

Edit: Another question, what happens when the last target a mage has in range dies as they are casting a spell? Also, do they only start casting when enemies come into range or are they smart enough to anticipate?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Hot drat!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dirk the Average posted:

Have they given any thought to a "do not cast" list? Some spells can be devastating to your own armies, or just aren't worth wasting fatigue on.

Like, if you want to skelespam, you might want some dudes who can only cast skeleton raising spells and who don't bother with anything else.
That's not in.

quote:

Edit: Another question, what happens when the last target a mage has in range dies as they are casting a spell? Also, do they only start casting when enemies come into range or are they smart enough to anticipate?
Spell targeting/prep happens at the start point of the cast, and transfers over to the target when the spell finishes. They won't preempt movement into range. If the target is no longer valid the time is wasted.

So the most common example is that you want to bless some guys but they would run out front, well if you start the cast when they're in range for it, the bless area will follow them.

There have been murmurings by IW that they do want to put "move to cat range" in there and hopefully (I have asked specifically for this) they will put range indicators on the army setup screen so you at least know roughly how far a mage will be from the centre (keeping in mind ofc that the battlefield does still scale based on army size).

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 15, 2017

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Conserve communion slaves

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I hope buff spells (especially small troop buffs) are universally faster than most damage dealing spells.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

Extremely unthematic

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So I ended up having my dwarf pretender get shrunken in the lab...

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Quote =/= Edit
Also my imgur pic isn't loading :/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

IAmThatIs posted:

So I ended up having my dwarf pretender get shrunken in the lab...

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, I don't think that part changed. I requested a pair of times a 'hold 3/4 turns and attack' order in Steam forums, but it doesn't seem I'm going to have luck.

Awww... how will this interact with the new multi-turn spells? Are we scripting 5 actions or 5 turns? Say a spell takes 3 turns to cast, will we only have 2 turns of scripting left?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if his negative size gets large enough he turns into a Vastness, fyi

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If a unit is size 0 does that mean trampling does infinite damage?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

Awww... how will this interact with the new multi-turn spells? Are we scripting 5 actions or 5 turns? Say a spell takes 3 turns to cast, will we only have 2 turns of scripting left?

I think you are scripting 5 actions, so it will work like always.

----

Some Dominions fans have been in deep thought of the new balance, trying to determine a good bless or in what tier is going to be a nation now. I think it's a bit a waste of time. In these two months balance of nations can change a good amount, and the bless system is so new that trying to theorize purely on paper just doesn't work.

In the other hand, I would like to speculate how some of the changes in this version could mean two important things: more viable Thugs and less powerful mid-late Battle Magic.

Less powerful criticals, less repels per square, less surrounded penalties to defense, and reinv1 for everyone seem a buff to me for thugs/SCs. The only point against this is the new possibility of breaking magical shields. Also they are commanders and have the advantage of having less chance of losing themselves while retreating.

Magic in the other hand, has received an overall small nerf. Reasons:
Big spells need more time to cast (so less spells casted on say, 10 turns, slower 'combo' effects like storm/summon stormpower/thunder, and enemies will be closer when you finish), communions are more prone to kill slaves if abused (5 fatigue points : 1 hp, instead of 10?), spells can be interrupted if you damage the mage with the new casting system, some of the popular spells (ie. RoS, GoH, Stellar Cascades) have been nerfed, and very fast units could 'evade' the evocations thrown to them with the new real timecombat. Against this is the point is already mentioned: 1 point of fatigue recovered per turn will benefit more mages than a random spearman; also default magic sites has gone slightly up so there should be more gems to use.

Of course, this is all idle speculation of a non-beta tester.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 17, 2017

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I don't think anyone really misses 3's gem gens and other lategame bullshit, but I do miss SCs. Tarts were pretty bullshit but SCs in general was a huge part of the draw of the game to me. There's just something about a 50 foot tall 12 fingered 6 winged angel of death chewing up whole armies that is so thematically satisfying. Or dieing to a turkey, whatever. But if D3 was all about SCs it seems to me D4 was all about battle magic, it would be nice if they could strike a balance.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The anti-thug spells are still there, they are one of the reasons people stopped using SCs in Dom4, right?
Although MR is not capped at 18 now, that's another point in favor of thugs in Dom5.

I know resists have changed from 4 to 5, and i think that's another factor that affects thugging, but I don't even remember how it was in Dom4 to compare.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

I know resists have changed from 4 to 5, and i think that's another factor that affects thugging, but I don't even remember how it was in Dom4 to compare.

IIRC, the change from Dom3 to Dom4 was from easy full immunities to certain damage types, to not, which is really what killed SCs.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Turin Turambar posted:

I think you are scripting 5 actions, so it will work like always.

I think it still needs clarification. If I cast a spell that takes 2 turns to finish 5 times are you , in essence, programming the first 10 turns of a commander?

It is correct though that if multiple turn spells/actions (I can see the difficulty of using things like crossbows or artillery taking more than 2 turns to "cast"*) that normal units need a way to customize the length of time they should wait for.

It will become a downward spiral of suck if there is no way to stop units from running into a wall of instant death that is summoned right on top of them as they charge in without a way for them to wait until the mages are done casting.

* A commander ability or misc army artifact where crossbows are preloaded or take significantly less time to reload would be great if the range game is going to change.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

EVIL Gibson posted:

It will become a downward spiral of suck if there is no way to stop units from running into a wall of instant death that is summoned right on top of them as they charge in without a way for them to wait until the mages are done casting.

Actually, that sounds metal-as-gently caress and very :dominions:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

EVIL Gibson posted:

In other words, nothing will change? :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

How are u posted:

Actually, that sounds metal-as-gently caress and very :dominions:

Libluini posted:

In other words, nothing will change? :v:

Lol, this.

It isn't that different from seeing your flying monsters suicide themselves because the game don't have a more granular order system to make them wait until your infantry start fighting. Or mages that ignore your orders because they judge the enemy isn't worth casting that spell. Or your archers firing upon your own guys despite another having a bigger enemy squad without friendlies close by in their rage, because they don't know how to switch targets.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Decrepus posted:

Using communion slave you have to accept you'll get 4 or 5 battles out of them, before 20 of your slaves are slain by masters spamming rage for 40 turns on an unconscious thug surrounded by a swarm of half unconscious milita.

The dominions way!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Applebee123 posted:

Using communion slave you have to accept you'll get 4 or 5 battles out of them, before 20 of your slaves are slain by masters spamming rage for 40 turns on an unconscious thug surrounded by a swarm of half unconscious milita.

The dominions way!

OR if you're an idiot, like me, you will get 1 battle out of them because your scripting kills all 110+ mages you had as communion slaves thanks to your 20+ masters casting stellar cascades one time too often. :suicide:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
After catching up on my news post-hurricane Irma, I have a question I never thought to ask before:

Are there any Insane Clown Posse/Juggalo mods?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

LordSloth posted:

After catching up on my news post-hurricane Irma, I have a question I never thought to ask before:

Are there any Insane Clown Posse/Juggalo mods?

Mu. posted:

I don't know anything about Dominions 4. I've played five games total. I lack basic artistic talent. I'm an actual retard. Think any of those things can stop me from making a custom nation? Think again.

With 6 armours, 14 weapons, 14 commanders, 15 units, 3 national heroes, 4 custom summons, 2 pretenders and 9 custom events, CLOWNS.DM represents the single biggest waste of energy that I have ever expended.

Can you lead Kirkostaculis to victory? Learn the rich and complex backstory of this illustrious nation, recruiting creatures ranging from the lowly Sideshow to the mysterious Big Hat and the powerful Ancient Clown.

Ready to clown around? Before long you'll be probing the ancient mysteries of Comedy, summoning creatures as bizarre as the Imaginary Clown and the Clown Sublime.

INSTRUCTIONS:
  • DOWNLOAD >>> CLOWNS.RAR <<<
  • internally, ask yourself, "is this really a mod about clowns??"
  • extract the archive into your mods directory (C:\Users\fartlover69\AppData\Roaming\Dominions4\mods)
  • enable "Clowns" in the in-game modlist
  • out-loud whisper, "this is a mod about clowns..."
  • select KIRKOSTACULIS from the list of EARLY AGE NATIONs
  • post in the thread, "i can't believe you made a mod about clowns."

Every gold cost and unit value has been pulled completely out of my shapely rear end, for reasons listed in the first line of this post. Despite appearances, CLOWNS.DM is a SERIOUS MOD and deserves SERIOUS FEEDBACK regarding balance, so that I can make it the best mod about clowns in all of Dominions 4.

Anyway have fun and thanks for reading.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Please port the Wu Tang mod to Dom5 immediately on release tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Archenteron posted:

Please port the Wu Tang mod to Dom5 immediately on release tia

If the modding is still easy to do in 5 then I will waste some hours at the office doing this at some point shortly after release, and maybe implement some of the other dumb ideas I never got around to. I swear on my honor as a Wu Tang Modsman.

• Locked thread