Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

..."grand wizard"'s a d&d term? I can't find it anywhere.

Cripes, if the guy wanted to try to defend it from that angle, cite Isle of the Ape!

it totally isn't, he's trying to make a lame joke about wizards being cool and he's loving it up because it turns out he's too privileged to edit his own speech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

boner confessor posted:

it totally isn't, he's trying to make a lame joke about wizards being cool and he's loving it up because it turns out he's too privileged to edit his own speech

If anything, he could've said that the KKK are terrible for ruining a "cool D&D term" like grand wizard.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
"Hey guys, wanna have a klonvokation at my klavern tonight and play some d&d? Wait where are you going"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mojo1701a posted:

If anything, he could've said that the KKK are terrible for ruining a "cool D&D term" like grand wizard.

he could also not be a lame rear end unfunny nerd trying to comically juxtapose race hate and role playing games while setting up a "liberals made us be racist" whiny guilt trip argument

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wasn't going to join a white terrorist organization but then girls laughed at me for talking about my level 10 orc paladin incessantly at parties.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fallenturtle posted:

I discounted and therefore didn't consider day to day decisions that could add up to life changing decisions, and for that I apologize. I thought she was talking about large decisions like what college to go to, what car to buy, etc.

I know I'm being antagonistic but... how? How, in a conversation about little, every day choices, do you discount little, everyday choices? And even then, it's not like the probability of being raped is only constrained to "little" choices. My own wife considered passing up a full four-year scholarship because it was to a "party school", and party schools mean drunk dudes on the prowl and that meant potential rape for her.

I can still remember countless times being on the phone with her while she walked from her car to her dorm or wherever because what if she was attacked while on the line with me? I remember her narrating every step of the way from her car to her dorm door because that's what her college suggested she do if she, as a woman, was walking home late at night.

And it's not like this is a secret, either. If you've watched a movie or TV show set in college in the last twenty years, I can almost guarantee that they had a scene where a bunch of people (probably all women and maybe one dude for comedy purposes) all sat in a big lecture hall and discussed rape statistics.

"Look to your left. Then to your right. One of these people will be raped" the presenter probably said. And the guy was probably front and center there in the shot, as if to say, "thank God he isnt on the left or right, he's safe!".

If you gave me a day I could probably come up with a dozen movies that used that "joke". The "joke" that college rape stats are insanely high.

And it's not just a joke, it's a feature of daily news and statistics. I can almost guarantee every news publication in America features a story about rape at least once a month, if not every week or even every day.

So this message is pervasive, it's goddamn near all-consuming! So how, how can you have possibly missed it?

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Who What Now posted:

I know I'm being antagonistic but... how? How, in a conversation about little, every day choices, do you discount little, everyday choices? And even then, it's not like the probability of being raped is only constrained to "little" choices. My own wife considered passing up a full four-year scholarship because it was to a "party school", and party schools mean drunk dudes on the prowl and that meant potential rape for her.

I can still remember countless times being on the phone with her while she walked from her car to her dorm or wherever because what if she was attacked while on the line with me? I remember her narrating every step of the way from her car to her dorm door because that's what her college suggested she do if she, as a woman, was walking home late at night.

And it's not like this is a secret, either. If you've watched a movie or TV show set in college in the last twenty years, I can almost guarantee that they had a scene where a bunch of people (probably all women and maybe one dude for comedy purposes) all sat in a big lecture hall and discussed rape statistics.

"Look to your left. Then to your right. One of these people will be raped" the presenter probably said. And the guy was probably front and center there in the shot, as if to say, "thank God he isnt on the left or right, he's safe!".

If you gave me a day I could probably come up with a dozen movies that used that "joke". The "joke" that college rape stats are insanely high.

And it's not just a joke, it's a feature of daily news and statistics. I can almost guarantee every news publication in America features a story about rape at least once a month, if not every week or even every day.

So this message is pervasive, it's goddamn near all-consuming! So how, how can you have possibly missed it?

White, straight dudes are totally oblivious to things that don't affect them directly. Speaking for experience as a white, straight dude. This is why having this stuff thrown in our faces can sometimes be so shocking.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pembroke Fuse posted:

White, straight dudes are totally oblivious to things that don't affect them directly. Speaking for experience as a white, straight dude. This is why having this stuff thrown in our faces can sometimes be so shocking.

I feel like anyone who has spent any time in the company of a woman should probably pick up on it, though.

It's pretty hard to ignore.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he's. so. loving. dumb.

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/910506272054697984

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like anyone who has spent any time in the company of a woman should probably pick up on it, though.

It's pretty hard to ignore.

People are super dumb/myopic/socially incompetent. Also, women won't really discuss these issues with random dudes/coworkers/one-night-stands.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i've seen several women on okcupid put stuff in their profiles about why they want to talk before meeting because of how dangerous it is for them to meet a stranger. as a man i've never had that fear and never will. men are clueless in general.

the margaret atwood quote is eternally true.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pembroke Fuse posted:

People are super dumb/myopic/socially incompetent. Also, women won't really discuss these issues with random dudes/coworkers/one-night-stands.

I've found that while women won't lead off conversations with this topic, many (but not all) are all too happy to explain in detail their views on the dangers to them in society with very little goading. I suppose it's very possible that PL hasn't talked to many women.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Who What Now posted:

I've found that while women won't lead off conversations with this topic, many (but not all) are all too happy to explain in detail their views on the dangers to them in society with very little goading. I suppose it's very possible that PL hasn't talked to many women.

You need to want to be receptive to this kind of stuff. Most dudes aren't receptive to anything that doesn't describe their dicks in the most glowing of terms (or simply believe minorities are the real rapists, and it gets worse from there).

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Pembroke Fuse posted:

You need to want to be receptive to this kind of stuff. Most dudes aren't receptive to anything that doesn't describe their dicks in the most glowing of terms (or simply believe minorities are the real rapists, and it gets worse from there).

This is the thing, if you never signal that you're receptive to these types of conversations you may very well never hear them. It's unfortunate that the ones who need this barrage of anecdotal evidence - the not malicious but ignorant and suppressive - will probably never be trusted in 1 - 1 conversations about it in the first place, but it's not the woman's fault for not trusting them.

History and society has taught them to constantly vet others for fear of attack, which must be god drat exhausting compared to the white male existence I enjoy where I can pretty much go wherever I like and talk to whoever I want and feel safe.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Well poo poo, now I'm the one making assumptions about the loved experiences of women, thinking that they want to share their stories with friends. Even so, there's no dearth of examples of rape affecting women's decisions in popular media.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Who What Now posted:

Speaking as a white guy, we generally don't like bringing it up as well. Because then you're the guy talking about rape in a casual conversation. So there's that. But another part of it is just programming.

We're taught that women are different, that they do and say things differently, so when you see a woman texting her friend where she is, or travelling in packs, or never leaving her drink somewhere, you sort of just file that under 'things that women do.' It's not inherently malicious from the person, but it's a preconception that never gets discussed.

EDIT: I mean, if you think about it, the pressure a woman goes through in her daily life is somewhat comparable to a soldier in an active cimbat zone, and no one asks a soldier why they aren't 'taking in the sights.'

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 21, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Who What Now posted:

Well poo poo, now I'm the one making assumptions about the loved experiences of women, thinking that they want to share their stories with friends. Even so, there's no dearth of examples of rape affecting women's decisions in popular media.

Yes but that is on the cinema, those sorts of things don't happen. It was certainly a thought I had when I started uni.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Pretty much everyone gets probated sometimes. It's a fact of life. I think Gyuorvich or whatever their name is, probated me for some petty reason. :p

boner confessor posted:

also getting probated is no big deal it happens

Yea, I kind of figured. Its just annoying.

boner confessor posted:

imo it's because you were trying the "just asking questions" bit trying to tease an explanation out of another poster as to why it's skeevy for a grown man to hit on a 13 year old in the context of why that shouldn't be reportable to youtube moderation

just asking "why?" with a contentious opinion like that is tedious posting, if you're going to go against the grain of a thread and get dogpiled it's better to fully substantiate your own opinion rather than demand someone else explain theirs to you, or just drop it

Ah... I wasn't asking why its skeevy, that's obvious... I was asking why it should be censored because I didn't feel it met the threshold, imo, for that action. I think I ultimately did drop it, but then the probate happened two days later. So basically I need to be careful of coming off as a sea lion.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I didn't know terms like "Grand Wizard" were created by the KKK because they intentionally wanted to sound goofy. I thought it was for the same reason so many alt-righters wear fedoras, cause they legitimately think it makes them appear cool despite the rest of the word laughing at them.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Mr Interweb posted:

I didn't know terms like "Grand Wizard" were created by the KKK because they intentionally wanted to sound goofy. I thought it was for the same reason so many alt-righters wear fedoras, cause they legitimately think it makes them appear cool despite the rest of the word laughing at them.

Yeah, IIRC the KKK kept those terms, and their general structure, hidden from the public... until the Superman radio show exposed them in the 40's.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

they came up with this terminology back in the 19th century when people were all about secretive organizations with all kinds of grandiose sounding offices

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Who What Now posted:

I'm sure women are more or less fine with sharing that kind of information with people they believe they can trust. The women I've spoken to have shared their issues with me, but usually after a variable period of friendship/trust. However, respecting or even wanting women as friends, is something that a lot of men struggle to do or completely ignore the need for. It's pretty depressing how many sentiments you hear from the manosphere about "men and women can't be friends" as if boning everything in sight is the only thing a guy capable of doing. :(

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Seth Rogan has to stop saying things that make me like him. :smith:

https://twitter.com/Sethrogen/status/910670046166441984

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Apparently, he heard you. He deleted it. What did it say?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

boner confessor posted:

the dude was an academic wonder who developed his arrogance through his rapid climb up the educational ladder. this is just him headbutting the "real world" over and over to hilarious, self destructive effect

turns out once you've left schooling and you're holding down a job at a private company, the technical correctness of your opinions no longer outweighs the liability you present to your employers

I agree that this will probably result in him making less money (at least in the short-medium term) than he would have otherwise, but if he's actually a good programmer he'll have no problem finding something that is still quite high paying (and god knows there are unfortunately plenty of programmers who likely share his beliefs).

The sad reality is that most privileged bad people will likely never be significantly punished for their sins.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

Apparently, he heard you. He deleted it. What did it say?

Feh. Knew he couldn't be trusted. :argh: He responded to that D&D tweet by calling him a loving idiot.

Ytlaya posted:

I agree that this will probably result in him making less money (at least in the short-medium term) than he would have otherwise, but if he's actually a good programmer he'll have no problem finding something that is still quite high paying (and god knows there are unfortunately plenty of programmers who likely share his beliefs).

The sad reality is that most privileged bad people will likely never be significantly punished for their sins.

There are plenty of lovely right-wing tech developers that would have no problem hiring a douche like him. And even if he never got another programming/engineering related job, he'd still have the wingnut welfare circuit to go on speaking "truth to power" and such.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 21, 2017

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Who What Now posted:

I know I'm being antagonistic but... how? How, in a conversation about little, every day choices, do you discount little, everyday choices?

This is what Alison said that lead to my post in this thread:

"I've been told all my life I am more likely to be a victim of rape as a man and I look at the statistics they don't bear it out... At the very very best you can say we don't know, but I've been told all my drat life that I'm a victim.. and then I find out that no, no actually it's probably not true, yeah maybe I'm a little pissed. Maybe I'm a little pissed because I've been carrying that weight around... I wonder what I could have done if I had let it go in my... if it had never been put on me instead of letting it go in my 20s."

I didn't think it was a conversation about little, everyday choices and I assumed she was talking about larger life changing decisions.

quote:

And even then, it's not like the probability of being raped is only constrained to "little" choices. My own wife considered passing up a full four-year scholarship because it was to a "party school", and party schools mean drunk dudes on the prowl and that meant potential rape for her.

I'm very well aware of odds of rape, women being scared to walk alone at night, etc. Heck, I even participated in a Take Back the Night march back in college. It wasn't that I didn't know of them, its that I didn't consider them life altering... I falsely assumed that women, when they wanted to do something, that they figured out away to do it while getting around a high risk of rape situation. I was naive. And I didn't realize, which is why I asked my original question, that women did, in fact, factor in the risk of rape, when making large decisions like what college to attend.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

There are plenty of lovely right-wing tech developers that would have no problem hiring a douche like him. And even if he never got another programming/engineering related job, he'd still have the wingnut welfare circuit to go on speaking "truth to power" and such.

i think people are overlooking the fact that even though he may be a perfectly competent programmer, he has a proven history of writing whiny subversive gossipy nonsense about how the policy enacted by executives is ruining the company, and then when pressured on that point doubles down and turns it into a big media shitfit. you'd have to be real drat talented for your skill to outweigh the tremendous liability you pose as someone who is prone to generating scandals for stupid reasons

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

boner confessor posted:

i think people are overlooking the fact that even though he may be a perfectly competent programmer, he has a proven history of writing whiny subversive gossipy nonsense about how the policy enacted by executives is ruining the company, and then when pressured on that point doubles down and turns it into a big media shitfit. you'd have to be real drat talented for your skill to outweigh the tremendous liability you pose as someone who is prone to generating scandals for stupid reasons

this. its happend to a left wing devs/programers and right wing devs/programers too. if your a weird rear end in a top hat who says stupid weird poo poo all the time in public, creating drama or scandals, eventually even if the higher ups agree with you, your rear end will eventually get fired or you will be "let go" when they dont need you and you might get quietly blacklisted. most just go indie or on the pateron teat after that because you can just get money from people who agree with you. Damore is just the newest one. he will just make a patreon for a book/"documentery" about his side of the story, and he will make like 3 million dollars.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 21, 2017

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. its happend to a left wing devs/programers and right wing devs/programers too. if your a weird rear end in a top hat who says stupid weird poo poo all the time in public, creating drama or scandals, eventually even if the higher ups agree with you, your rear end will eventually get fired or you will be "let go" when they dont need you and you might get quietly blacklisted. most just go indie or on the pateron teat after that because you can just get money from people who agree with you. Damore is just the newest one. he will just make a patreon for a book/"documentery" about his side of the story, and he will make like 3 million dollars.

Maybe he'll start a GWGTOW movement.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It sounds like he's perfect to go work with Randy Pitchford at Gearbox.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fallenturtle posted:

Maybe he'll start a GWGTOW movement.
Goddamn Whiny Geeks Talking Outright Wank? He's off to a good start.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pembroke Fuse posted:

It sounds like he's perfect to go work with Randy Pitchford at Gearbox.

yeah. randy is a giant sack of poo poo. borderlands sucks and isnt funny(and written by the saddest man on the net) he got into a fight with femfreq over something and he wants to sue them or some poo poo now because they made death threats. he tries to play victim constantly and legit virtue signals so he can make money from people who dont know he is dick and ignore his awful loving businesses practices. i cant wait until loving gearbox crashes and burns. the only way they are surviving is attaching themselves like leeches to games(good ones) to act as a "free" publisher. yeah i hate them. i will never forgive them for loving up aliens colonial marines.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 21, 2017

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. randy is a giant sack of poo poo. borderlands sucks and isnt funny(and written by the saddest man on the net) he got into a fight with femfreq over something and he wants to sue them or some poo poo now because they made death threats. he tries to play victim constantly and legit virtue signals so he can make money from people who dont know he is dick and ignore his awful loving businesses practices. i cant wait until loving gearbox crashes and burns. the only way they are surviving is attaching themselves like leeches to games(good ones) to act as a "free" publisher. yeah i hate them. i will never forgive them for loving up aliens colonial marines.

Randy is also an Objectivist, and deserves all the Nazis he can get working for him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Randy is also an Objectivist, and deserves all the Nazis he can get working for him.

oh is he, that explains alot.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKRCqGMpaYU

This guy wants to use Industrial Safety inspectors to root out and fine grade school teachers who are teaching Marxism and Gender Fluidity (which he believes are directly link for some unexplained reason).

Money quote: "you're promoting an incurable mental disease by agreeing with them to use their ridiculous communist pronouns". I'm sure you guys remember the chapter on the 71 gender pronouns in Das Kapital, right?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

fallenturtle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKRCqGMpaYU

This guy wants to use Industrial Safety inspectors to root out and fine grade school teachers who are teaching Marxism and Gender Fluidity (which he believes are directly link for some unexplained reason).

Money quote: "you're promoting an incurable mental disease by agreeing with them to use their ridiculous communist pronouns". I'm sure you guys remember the chapter on the 71 gender pronouns in Das Kapital, right?

i am always amused how Marxism= things on/from the left/liberal spectrum i hate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, one of the legitimate criticisms of orthodox Marxists is that they're lovely at addressing trans issues (ranging from dismissal as irrelevant all the way up to being a full on TERF), which is usually because there's no room for a fluid view of gender and sex under an originalist interpretation of dialectical materialism. That's not to say there aren't some trans Marxists and trans ally Marxists, but they usually stick to the economic side of Marxism and stay well away from the materialism as a rejection of metaphysics type areas.

I agree with him about not doing transgenic surgery on children though, we shouldn't be putting glowing jellyfish genes in kids until we know what's going on. :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
What the hell are communist pronouns? "он/ему"?

• Locked thread