Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Yeah, they may finally have the ability to tell their employer to gently caress themselves as their healthcare is no longer dangled above their heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Begemot posted:

There's a weird idea that more complicated ideas are actually better. Like it's ACTUALLY cheaper and more efficient to make a rube goldberg machine that subtly lowers the price of books than to just build a free books building. Of course that's not actually provable in any concrete way but if you look at these statistics you can see-

It keeps these programs safely enshrouded in political fog. It sounds complicated, so most people will be indifferent or vaguely supportive if the outcomes sound good. It also makes it easier to reduce things to political tribalism. Like how the policies of the ACA were wildly popular, but Obamacare was reviled.

Also plans to lower prices of goods doesn't address the fact that for some people, any price is too high. What do you do with a homeless person dying of pneumonia? There's no way they can afford to pay anything for their own care, so plans to "control costs" don't have any answer. The fundamental premise of libertarian economics is that less government will make things more affordable for everyone, but even if you think that's true it still can't deal with the worst-case scenarios (aside from "let 'em die," which they try not to say out loud but is the inevitable result).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Abyssal Squid posted:

A lot of people apparently liked this cartoon (I tried pulling it directly from twitter but there's no text hooks on the tweet and that account has a zillion posts so I'm not going to infinite scroll a goddamn month and a half back):

"Look how much simpler (and therefore better) it is when you just say what you want, and ignore the steps necessary for making that work!"

Like don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of public libraries, but subsidizing book consumption would be way simpler to implement than running public libraries. Both plans would require funding, but that's about all a well-designed subsidy would need. With libraries you need to build physical facilities, you need to decide where to build those physical facilities, you need to staff them, you need to decide what books to buy and how many, you need to decide when to remove books from circulation, and so on. That cartoon's probably the clearest example I've seen of "My ideas are better than yours because I'm counting on Implementation Fairies to make everything work" on the left. On the right, of course, we have Donald Trump promising endless winning and better health care, and of course Ronald Reagan's famous rebuttal to Jimmy Carter's health care proposal, "There you go again. :)"

That's a really good point and in retrospect it makes it obvious that all the libraries that exist in all cities across all developed countries were, in fact, an illusion, because implementing public libraries is just too complex and pipedreamy, so they cannot have actually been a staple of civilized life for several centuries.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Why do all these comics over-label everything

Now let me drastically misinterpret this simple comic

World Famous W posted:

Yeah, they may finally have the ability to tell their employer to gently caress themselves as their healthcare is no longer dangled above their heads.

Employer provided healthcare might just implode on its own. It is getting worse and worse for both the employee and the employer. Have you seen this "cafeteria benefits plan" horse poo poo?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

e: nm, don't want to get on a tangent.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

The point of the comic is saying "How do we pay for it?" While building another aircraft carrier while the Navy is so understaffed that they're running into cargo ships is stupid.

You're like a Twitter progressive's straw man come to life after they erased Kasia Babis' name.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I'd like to thank Despera for taking the burden of proof off of me to demonstrate that my strawman exists, by being a living breathing example of it

'cause man I was sweating over that one :)

Despera posted:

Details dont matter on a humor website message board but everyone losing their employer given health insurance might cause real world problems.

They wouldn't need it anymore, on account of all the medicare they'd get, on account of being part of "all"

like, this isn't even you willfully ignoring details anymore; that's the central conceit of the bill

Despera posted:

Why dont we just seize the means of production and enter full communism? Work out the details later.

I know this is intended to be an extremely cranky-baby-boomer burn to get me off your lawn or whatever, but

yeah actually, you can't write the Constitution until you kick out the British

You absolutely, 100% have to secure your revolution before you "work out the details." Like, this seems pretty straightforward to me.

I'm not even trying to argue for a revolution here, I just want healthcare. I just had to respond to this post on its own merits.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Like don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of living populations, but robotopia would be way simpler to implement than having pesky humans around. Both plans would require funding, but that's about all a well-designed subsidy would need. With humans you need to build physical housings, you need to decide where to build those physical housings, you need to attribute them, you need to decide who procreates and how much, you need to decide when to cull the flock, and so on. It's really complicated.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"It is frustrating that our representatives in government won't even consider universal healthcare saying that the cost is impractical while simultaneously taking no time to approve spending 700 billion on defense that we don't need." doesn't seem like a message that should spark such a heated debate.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

"It is frustrating that our representatives in government won't even consider universal healthcare saying that the cost is impractical while simultaneously taking no time to approve spending 700 billion on defense that we don't need." doesn't seem like a message that should spark such a heated debate.

If you've convinced yourself that politicians who are unwilling to push for universal healthcare have legitimate reasons for doing so instead of them just being cowards in the pocket of insurance companies, then obviously single payer or anything resembling it seems insane and impossible. If it was that easy they'd have already done it!

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I was referring to "Pragmatism Man" specifically, but I'm really deep in the weeds on this and may have overinterpreted things.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SCENE: Green Dragon Tavern, 1773. A meeting of the SONS OF LIBERTY. JOHN HANCOCK and JOHN ADAMS are arguing animatedly at a table.

HANCOCK: drat you, Adams, such a high marginal tax rate would merely serve to punish the act, nay sir, the very idea of job creation! You would strangle the industry of our fledgling hypothetical nation in its crib!
ADAMS: Confound you, Hancock! Such a rate is instrumental to our already-agreed-upon subsidies for the flour-mill industry! Would you stifle innovation in our delicate, imaginary, and very much theoretical sovereign state just for the sake of your own coffers, sirrah???
(enter SAM ADAMS from offstage)
ADAMS, S: Gentlemen! Friends! Cousin! The British have gone too far with this damnable Tea Tax! I say it is time to make our voices heard! We shall approach a vessel whose holds are packed to the brim with this vile substance, under cover of darkness and in disguise, and seize the cargo! Not for ourselves, but for the welcoming bosom of the ocean! Only then will the King understand --
ADAMS, J: Wait just a minute, cousin. You propose to force out the colonial government... before we have absolutely every facet of the hypothetical government we would use in their stead agreed upon in committee?
HANCOCK (laughing out loud): lol
ADAMS, S: My friends, if we spend all our time arguing over details, we'll never cast off the yoke at all! Now, a simple peaceful protest action --
HANCOCK: Peaceful? But think of the poor, innocent capital you would destroy simply to make your tired "point" and win your, ahem, "revolution"! Yes, let us simply just force the British out! So easy! Such fairytale whimsy! Details can wait! Why haven't we done this already?
ADAMS, J: (laughing his rear end off) lmao
HANCOCK: I think you should leave this whole "politics" thing to the adults, Sam. John, you simply must keep your relatives in check. They're not pragmatic in the least!
ADAMS, J: Hear, hear. Sam, we'll talk later. Now, about that marginal tax rate...

SwitchbladeKult posted:

and yet here we are

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Let Two Bulls take the pain away

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Jay Rust posted:

Let Two Bulls take the pain away

Did they go back in time???

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Avirosb posted:

Silly Ramirez, that's not how you make a loss comic.

:effort:

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Darth Windu posted:

Did they go back in time???

It's an oral tradition passed down for generations from uncle to nephew. This is three generations of an uncle giving the same "cousin talk" to his nephew

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I remember Enemy at the Gates being a good sniper movie

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Dr. Doom for PM imo

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

I've actually been more on board with the Trump admin after the debut of their giant skull poster.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

I'd complain that Graham isn't depicted as literally Satan but you know something, Cassidy really did go out of his way to earn this caricature. Like, way, way, way
out of his way.

Oddly enough AHIP came out against Graham-Cassidy, which is... different.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Office Pig posted:

I'd complain that Graham isn't depicted as literally Satan but you know something, Cassidy really did go out of his way to earn this caricature. Like, way, way, way
out of his way.

Insurance companies hate uncertainty. Radically changing regulations and healthcare policy seemingly at random and for no real reason is pretty bad for business. Especially since there would be a decent chance it gets entirely reversed in a few years, throwing everything into chaos again.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chip Bok posted:

Amy Coney Barrett is a Notre Dame Law professor. She was nominated by President Trump for a seat on the seventh court of appeals.

But first she has to get past Senate Judiciary Committee member Diane Feinstein. The Senator wanted answers about an article Professor Coney Barrett co-authored 20 years ago. It was a meditation on what a Catholic judge might do in a capital punishment case. The authors concluded he/she should recuse.

But the professor came across as a little too Catholic for the senator. Feinstein told her, “I think in your case, professor, when you read your speeches, the conclusion one draws is that the dogma lives loudly within you, and that’s of concern.”

Of course, the professor might have taken that as a compliment.

But no dogma lives within Senator Durbin. The apparently unorthodox Catholic senator from Illinois demanded to know if Coney Barrett is an “Orthodox” Catholic.

A WSJ opinion piece by theology professor C.C. Pecknold had this to say about the dogma:

Mr. Durbin’s attempt to make such a distinction shows that this affair is about more than Catholicism. It is about an ideology—a politically progressive civil religion—that makes comprehensive claims to which all other religions are expected to conform.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

What does this even mean?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ranter posted:

Trump strong manly man; Obama limp-wristed fairy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Even for Ramirez that's way too easy to AGC.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Ranter posted:

Obama weak! Trump strong! *farts!*

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Lurdiak posted:

Even for Ramirez that's way too easy to AGC.

Obama: Sorry for American war crimes
Trump: The world will be sorry I was voted President

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Office Pig posted:

out of his way.

I like the version he posted earlier on twitter:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

albany academy posted:

It's a post in the D&D subforum of dead comedy forums Something Awful, in a thread obsessing over bad political cartoons. Don't read too much into it, it's not like the goons wishing death on political cartoonist Ben Garrison are holding public rallies about how political cartoonist Ben Garrison should be exterminated.

I am

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheBigAristotle posted:

Not quite a politoon, but timely and accurate. Although I'm not sure if Wizard of Id is another in the long line of right-wing newspaper strips

When I was a kid, Wizard of Id was all medieval, wtf

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Insurance companies hate uncertainty. Radically changing regulations and healthcare policy seemingly at random and for no real reason is pretty bad for business. Especially since there would be a decent chance it gets entirely reversed in a few years, throwing everything into chaos again.

You realize the irony, right? Their entire business is centred around dealing with uncertainty. There is an insurance company whose mascot is the personification of uncertainty itself!

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 21, 2017

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

D.N. Nation posted:

Also military spending in the US is to the nth power of insane, and the fact that no Democratic legislature of any clout spends the bulk of their time decrying it is a real bummer. On the subject of pipe dreams and such, defund the Pentagon entirely for one year and use the money to solve US poverty entirely, FFS.

Y'know defunding everything would have rather severe side-effects as far as unemployed soldiers and unmaintained useful property goes.

Now their gear budget, even with its keynesian effects, is absurd, that much is true.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

Y'know defunding everything would have rather severe side-effects as far as unemployed soldiers and unmaintained useful property goes.

Now their gear budget, even with its keynesian effects, is absurd, that much is true.

We could take that 700 billion and cut checks for $100,000 to every active duty service member and everyone that works in the US manufacturing weapons for the military and still have 460 billion left over to fight poverty.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Fun facts: the block grants go exclusively to the states that rejected the Medicare expansion, the states that accepted it get defunded, and the grants don't have to be spent on anything even remotely healthcare-related.

Not to mention that the bill prohibits states from adopting single payer systems. So much for "states' rights".

SeersuckerSoldier
Nov 1, 2016

Despera posted:

Why dont we just seize the means of production and enter full communism? Work out the details later.

A bill passed Congress earlier this week raising the military's budget by $700 billion over 10 years. That's enough to cover the cost of every 4-year college student's tuition for the next 10 years. But instead it's going towards aircraft carriers and F-35s that can't fly in rain, and it didn't raise a peep amongst people. Free healthcare and education through higher taxes in a land of low taxes isn't a pipe dream

Btw the Medicare-for-All bill is 30 fairly detailed pages, not the summary you read. That's on the long side for legislation before it goes through the amendments process - the ACA got 161 of those tacked on.

And now I'm back to the toons

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

VideoGameVet posted:

And Lower Costs while we're at it.

But lower costs are bad, because we measure economic health in terms of stock prices and corporate profits, not people actually having access to what they need.

Obama apologized for things that were his responsibility, while Trump just blames others and threatens them? Seriously how is Two Pulitzers so bad at this?

Keiya fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 21, 2017

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

• Locked thread