Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Pakled posted:

How loving dense do you have to be to think this is because of politics and not because fewer people are watching TV in general? Is it because boomer cartoonists grew up in a world where TV is the sum of American culture and can't imagine a world where it's no longer the dominant form of media in America?

Right-wingers have been predicting for forty years that Hollywood's embrace of left-wing values will lead to them being ignored by mainstream America, and this year, they're finally right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Hey Ramirez, how's the IBD doing these days?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I'll say

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Regular Nintendo posted:

what's the dog supposed to be

dinner?

youseebecauseobamaeatsdogs

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Darth Windu posted:

If you wish death on others on the basis of their political belief then you, yourself, deserve death.

Yeah I saw that episode of South Park too. I liked the part where Kyle said you bastards.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

This is a really silly thing for me to get mad about, but here goes:

If you're going to personify the concept of gerrymandering, why not use Elbridge Gerry, whom the thing is named after? Yeah, no one would get it, but you could just call him "the father of gerrymandering" and it would take no more space.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Jurgan posted:

If you're going to personify the concept of gerrymandering, why not use Elbridge Gerry, whom the thing is named after? Yeah, no one would get it, but you could just call him "the father of gerrymandering" and it would take no more space.

I mean, at least that picture is the original gerry-mander political cart- wait I'm defending prickly city gently caress that

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Jurgan posted:

You can even bring back the READY sign from 2015, and replace READY with GERRY and oh god what am i doing with my life

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

D.N. Nation posted:

Hey Ramirez, how's the IBD doing these days?

Presumably not that great given he continues to poo poo all over his drawing paper

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/MartinRowson/status/910468126432776192

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

endlessmonotony posted:

I don't know if you two are ironically this stupid or actually this stupid, but one side's trying to kill a whole lot of people (that whole healthcare thing) and strip basic human rights from a lot more.

I guess the only way to fight unhinged deranged speech is with more unhinged deranged speech.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

Presumably not that great given he continues to poo poo all over his drawing paper

(they had to shut down their print operation)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Zesty posted:

I guess the only way to fight unhinged deranged speech is with more unhinged deranged speech.

I feel about this the same way I feel about punching Nazis: yes, on an abstract level I agree people shouldn't do it, but it's about #5023 on my list of priorities, so I'm not going to spend my time arguing about it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about the advice this lady is giving Zelda. Like, nothing she's been saying has been wrong but it's also been kind of generic? Like, Zelda is telling her about some extremely personal stuff ("I used to do an angry person who thought I was right all the time, but as I've gotten older I've become more self-reflective and I'm wondering if I should make some changes in my life since my current situation brings me little joy or fulfilment") and the other lady is responding with platitudes about the patriarchy which, while all true, don't directly connect to the things Zelda is upset about. It sort of comes off like the woman doesn't really care about Zelda and just wants to hear herself talk.

I dunno, maybe I'm misreading it or something was lost in translation.

Zelda finally met someone that's more gung-ho about feminism than herself and is learning about how annoying that is.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Jurgan posted:

I feel about this the same way I feel about punching Nazis: yes, on an abstract level I agree people shouldn't do it, but it's about #5023 on my list of priorities, so I'm not going to spend my time arguing about it.

I mean you're fine there, but it's super creepy when people use the exact same arguments that were used to justify war crimes during the Bush years. I don't personally think the post hoping Garrison suffers ironic punishment was over the line, but there should be a line somewhere and it's not a waste of resources to remind people of that.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bad Reporter, best reporter :allears:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

D.N. Nation posted:

(they had to shut down their print operation)

It was a pun

Irritable Bowel instead of Investor's Business

e: or maybe I'm the only person whose first thought is violent diarrhea when I see an IB<blank> acronym

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Zesty posted:

It's a post in the D&D subforum of dead comedy forums Something Awful, in a thread obsessing over bad political cartoons. Don't read too much into it, it's not like the goons wishing death on political cartoonist Ben Garrison are holding public rallies about how political cartoonist Ben Garrison should be exterminated.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I remember a particular rally recently where protestors gathered to label very large things with "DEBT" and put effigies of Ben Garrison under them, and then clapping and cheering as if Ben Garrison himself was being crushed by DEBT

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

albany academy posted:

It's a post in the D&D subforum of dead comedy forums Something Awful, in a thread obsessing over bad political cartoons. Don't read too much into it, it's not like the goons wishing death on political cartoonist Ben Garrison are holding public rallies about how political cartoonist Ben Garrison should be exterminated.

Oh. Oops. Guess my Tuesday just freed up.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I noticed many of the protestors were wearing t-shirts of what I think were snakes, with the text "DONT DRAW LABELS ON ME" under them, but I wasnt sure

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Abyssal Squid posted:

I mean you're fine there, but it's super creepy when people use the exact same arguments that were used to justify war crimes during the Bush years. I don't personally think the post hoping Garrison suffers ironic punishment was over the line, but there should be a line somewhere and it's not a waste of resources to remind people of that.

Is telling him (in a place he'll never hear it because touching the poop is a bad idea) to gently caress himself with a cactus on the safe side of the line?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

It was a pun

Irritable Bowel instead of Investor's Business

e: or maybe I'm the only person whose first thought is violent diarrhea when I see an IB<blank> acronym

ahhhhh. Nice.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

albany academy posted:

I remember a particular rally recently where protestors gathered to label very large things with "DEBT" and put effigies of Ben Garrison under them, and then clapping and cheering as if Ben Garrison himself was being crushed by DEBT

One of my friends went there and when I asked him what happened he shouted "Thing happened!" and laughed maniacally

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wishing someone would die isn't really a wish, since it will always come true. Think of it more as a reminder of mortality.

Remember that Ben Garrison is going to die.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Keiya posted:

Is telling him (in a place he'll never hear it because touching the poop is a bad idea) to gently caress himself with a cactus on the safe side of the line?

Yes that is not only unobjectionable it is laudable.

On the other hand, wishing Martin Shkreli gets AIDS from being raped in prison is super lovely, even though Shkreli is one of the more cartoonishly evil people on the planet.

This is a good take:

Fister Roboto posted:

Wishing someone would die isn't really a wish, since it will always come true. Think of it more as a reminder of mortality.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Not quite a politoon, but timely and accurate. Although I'm not sure if Wizard of Id is another in the long line of right-wing newspaper strips

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Longform comic: Reid Psaltis on the EPA.

Preview:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yes, how dare those dastardly Democrats deny American citizenship to American citizens

Lubchansky owns

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

"If I make the other kid black, those idiots can't criticize me! I am very insightful." - Branco, probably

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

TheBigAristotle posted:

Not quite a politoon, but timely and accurate. Although I'm not sure if Wizard of Id is another in the long line of right-wing newspaper strips

It's debatable.

e: I almost forgot Bruce Tinsley's look at meeeee! LOOOK AT MEEEEE! cartoon when Johnny Hart died:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tell that to your own party, dipshit.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Zesty posted:

thank u for ur service, keyboard warrior :patriot:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Fister Roboto posted:

As relevant as it was when it was written four years ago.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

D.N. Nation posted:

It's debatable.

e: I almost forgot Bruce Tinsley's look at meeeee! LOOOK AT MEEEEE! cartoon when Johnny Hart died:

That said, both B.C. and Wizard of Id are now being done by Hart's grandson Mason Mastroianni, who does not share Hart's religiosity (or if he does, he keeps it out of the strips). He even did a pot joke a couple days ago.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

TheBigAristotle posted:

Typically Wizard of ID and other zombie strips are just schlock going for cheap puns or airline food caliber of jokes. It's not trying to make any pointed political commentary.

Although unlike cartoons such as Dennis the Menace (the US one, Brits), I don't think Wizard was ever good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

D.N. Nation posted:

It's debatable.

Of course Tinsley would worship a guy whose comic is more bland that Heathcliff.

• Locked thread