Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just cleared Rogue mode in Cryptark for the first time! :toot:

My 3yo picked the exo, so I ended up piloting the Jennet, which I'd previously avoided -- only two weapon hardpoints means you can't pick all of (reliability, firepower, defence, crowd control) like you can with the other exos, and its active ability is pretty disappointing. Having four remote nukes helped a lot in the later arks, though, as did finding a v-laser on level 3, and I ended up successfully clearing the final level with some careful play and a few lucky weapon pods (getting a railgun and being able to take out a bunch of subsystems through walls helped a lot while the ammo lasted).

Next up is Cryptark Excavation mode. I have no idea what to expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I really love cryptark, but I wish there where 'harder' modes for when you've finished the game. Excavation's a nice capstone to the story, but I'd prefer a nastier main campain somehow.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Fairly substantial update for City of the Damned for, perhaps, ARRP 2017.

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=City_of_the_Damned

2 new factions, one of which being some crazy tri-linked Angelic Mimics~

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
There's a few roguelites in the new Humblebundle. 1$ for Dungeon Souls and Neon Chrome and the goon favorite Death Road to Canada for 10$.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So Tangledeep is coming to Switch.

.... Huh, cool.

What's cooler:

quote:

When the Kickstarter launched, and even into the Early Access, our monster corral system was pretty bare-bones. You could capture up to three monsters, which would give you passive combat bonuses. That was all. However, as of now, it's a totally different story - and if you're really into the whole RPG-sim aspect of many classic RPGs, you're going to love it!

The monster corral now supports up to 12 captured monsters at once. You can bring virtually any monster in the game there, and give them custom names. Every captured monster has their own set of traits, ranging from combat stats and powers to Beauty, Happiness, and Weight, as well as relationships to all other captured monsters.

By feeding and grooming your monsters, you can build their Happiness and make them more comfortable with life in the corral. Treat them well enough and they will become fully tamed pets that can be brought into Tangledeep itself, fighting by your side! But that's not where it ends...

Not only can you now have a stable of up to 12 pets, you can now encourage friendships between monsters by cooking the right type of meals (romantic meals). If two monsters have a good enough relationship, an EGG may appear! Eggs hatch into brand-new monsters, which inherit traits from both parents. By doing this, you can create the ultimate monster pets!

I love how big and wild this game is. :kimchi:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just saw the update email. Nice work!

Also cool that Jim has joined.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
That romantic meal better be spaghetti.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

So Tangledeep is coming to Switch.

.... Huh, cool.

What's cooler:

I love how big and wild this game is. :kimchi:

I knew that as soon as the Dungeonmans' guy came on board that I was going to end up throwing my money at it.

I love that they went full "gently caress it, we Monster Ranchin' now".

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

General Emergency posted:

There's a few roguelites in the new Humblebundle. 1$ for Dungeon Souls and Neon Chrome and the goon favorite Death Road to Canada for 10$.

I knew the day would come when Death Road to Canada would be in a bundle. My patience has been rewarded with other games that I will probably never play. Worth it.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

RickVoid posted:

I knew that as soon as the Dungeonmans' guy came on board that I was going to end up throwing my money at it.

I love that they went full "gently caress it, we Monster Ranchin' now".

Freehold is now officially signed as exec producers/investors too. The full weight of something very awful now bears on Tangledeep.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Unormal posted:

Freehold is now officially signed as exec producers/investors too. The full weight of something very awful now bears on Tangledeep.

That's cool as heck.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the ultimate goon roguelike?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Unormal posted:

Cool!

I love that this thread managed to not just get devs together, it led to the creation of something magical, as well as the continuing evolution of pre-existing games.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Unormal posted:

As much as I love Dungeonmans, and Caves of Qud, and Tangledeep, the concept that my three favorite sets of Indy Game Devs have now come together gives me hope that we may one day see a full collaborative work from all of you.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

:siren: goon project spotted :siren:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I'm in as the ideas guy. I called it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Question to all the roguelike developers in this thread: Why aren't there any roguelikes about friendship?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Question to all the roguelike developers in this thread: Why aren't there any roguelikes about friendship?

Friendship is one of the most powerful builds in Caves of Qud! It's just a friendship built on psychic mutant mind control powers and also murder.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Friendship is one of the most powerful builds in Caves of Qud! It's just a friendship built on psychic mutant mind control powers and also murder.

This doesn't sound like the type of person I would want to be friends with at all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Snooze Cruise posted:

This doesn't sound like the type of person I would want to be friends with at all.
Tuxedo Catfish didn't say anything about you getting a choice in it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Snooze Cruise posted:

robot finds kitten

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Perform the water ritual for great friendship.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

crawl orc priests of beogh are all about making friends

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Snooze Cruise posted:

Luckily for the psycho mutant, that doesn't matter as long as your mental save is low enough.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Friendship is Psychically induced slavery in a post-post-post apocalyptic paradise.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Unormal posted:

I mostly just lurk these threads but :eyepop:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
hey remember when I said all roguelikes should come to switch

Tangledeep down, Sproggiwood to go :kimchi:

(plus you will have experience from the first Switch experience to make the second one work, riiiiiiight?)

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

Calibanibal posted:

crawl orc priests of beogh are all about making friends
Donald says, "Beogh's pretty racist."

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
What's a Switch?

With Tangledeep, Zircon remains the primary creative force. He has a grand plan, points the tanglejeep at the horizon, and hits the gas. I offer up some minor course corrections and help deepen the ideas that make up the plan, including looking for pitfalls down the road.

Code wise I've been running around in the codebase having fun fixing this and that, making more stuff data driven, and helping Zircon up his code game by pointing out language features and programming concepts he's not yet familiar with. I still get to do some writing stuff too!

Obviously there's less time for dmans dev, but I did about four hours worth of it on stream today and fixed up a mess of bugs. Oh, I also coalesced weapon/armor item cards so that multiple stat displays will combine. For example if you have Stellar on a weapon 4 times, you won't see "Deal 5% more Starlight damage" four times, but rather "Deal 20% more Starlight damage" once.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

That's pretty cool about Tangle deep. I haven't played it yet but it looks good

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Between D:OS2 and Tangledeep 2017 is turning into the year my Kickstarts delivered.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Now we just wait for Barkley 2, right?

...right? :negative:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Honestly my biggest problem with Qud, Dmans and Tangledeep is that I boot up steam, look at my roguelikes, and get hit by decision paralysis because they're all good and fun to play.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Do it one at a time.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Honestly my biggest problem with Qud, Dmans and Tangledeep is that I boot up steam, look at my roguelikes, and get hit by decision paralysis because they're all good and fun to play.

Or, you know, you could try out a copy of Neurovoider (which this thread turned me on to) until you decide which fantasy roguelike you want to play...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Or, you know, you could try out a copy of Neurovoider (which this thread turned me on to) until you decide which fantasy roguelike you want to play...

How difficult is it if I have problems getting past the second area of Nuclear Throne?

Also I've been playing Golden Krone Hotel because it has a bunch of achievements and I want at least one, but... I'm bad at it........

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

How difficult is it if I have problems getting past the second area of Nuclear Throne?

Also I've been playing Golden Krone Hotel because it has a bunch of achievements and I want at least one, but... I'm bad at it........

Well, FWIW, with some luck, I have almost beaten the final boss, and i generally suck at these games, so read into that what you will. It is fast, and just the littlest bit silly, and offers a lot of customization options, so there's that. (I also have yet to get past level 2 of NT.)

Also, sucking for a long while is part of the Roguelike experience. Then, one day, it clicks. Had that with Neurovoider and FTL, among others. Still waiting for it to happen with DMans.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Well, FWIW, with some luck, I have almost beaten the final boss, and i generally suck at these games, so read into that what you will. It is fast, and just the littlest bit silly, and offers a lot of customization options, so there's that. (I also have yet to get past level 2 of NT.)

Also, sucking for a long while is part of the Roguelike experience. Then, one day, it clicks. Had that with Neurovoider and FTL, among others. Still waiting for it to happen with DMans.

Excellent!

I love playing twin-stick shooters despite my lack of skill, so I'll slide it back up the wishlist! Thank you!

DMans: I actually beat it! ... before madjack gave the Final Boss a bunch of buffs, so my strategy of stat-grind until you're super beefy probably won't work. Probably.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Excellent!

I love playing twin-stick shooters despite my lack of skill, so I'll slide it back up the wishlist! Thank you!

DMans: I actually beat it! ... before madjack gave the Final Boss a bunch of buffs, so my strategy of stat-grind until you're super beefy probably won't work. Probably.

No worries. I have to help out a "JesusChristThereCan'tBeAnotherPoorSonOfABitchWithInsomniaAsBadAsMine" bro whenever I can. Besides, if you have some skill at bullet hell stuff, it will pay off, methinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

hyperbowl posted:

Donald says, "Beogh's pretty racist."

https://youtu.be/ucPwrZRhXkA