Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

dismas posted:

Gil isn't so bad in that respect. His mom seems stressed about being a single parent and not having a ton of money but she doesn't make it seem like it's Gil's fault.

Also she looks genuinely happy when Gil is happy, rather than rolling her eyes or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

One Big Happy's ok, they don't actively loathe their children.
Just other people's.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Mikl posted:

...idgi.

All I've been able to come up with is maybe autocorrect will turn Fi to F.U. or something like that. Still doesn't make a lot of sense.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garfield

Zippy

Ripley's

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2003 Spiderman

This is how science works. Totally.

The Amazing Tyrannus

Nancy

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Come on, Gilchrists.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Wait, did MJ not know Peter was Spider-Man in 2003?

Also, Modesty Blaise kicks rear end, this is great.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

Come on, Gilchrists.

Guy and Brad: Hmmmm this old Bushmiller strip was pretty funny, but you know what would be even funnier? If it was baseball and we added a bunch of unnecessary details to the panels we directly copy.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

catlord posted:

Wait, did MJ not know Peter was Spider-Man in 2003?
It's an extended flashback sequence. Although I understand the confusion since there's not a WAY BACK WHEN... narrator box in each comic. :v:

Come on, Gilchrists.

Goddammit Gilchrists.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy is a good strip about kids :v:

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

What's that thing on the batter's cap? It looks like a smirking cat wearing an eyepatch.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Selachian posted:

What's that thing on the batter's cap? It looks like a smirking cat wearing an eyepatch.

The New Britain Rock Cats. Because of loving course it is.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

The New Britain Rock Cats. Because of loving course it is.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
There is a reason
Gilchrist's banned from the zoo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I thought the logo was a reference to Gilchrist's other strip Mudpie which is about an anthropomorphic cat that loves baseball. It was in the paper when I lived in RI many years ago before I knew who Gilchrist was.

Looks like the same art style.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Calaveron posted:

So Cul de Sac and Wallace the Brave are the only comic strips that involve parenting or parent-child relationships that don't boil down to my child is an idiot and I loathe the day he or she escaped from my testicles/womb right?

Caveat: I discount Rose is Rose because everyone is a simp in that

Actually, I can't believe I forgot Baldo, whose joke is often "my children are TOO special and wonderful and I am TOO good of a father to them, how wacky!"

BC

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Wallace the Brave, written and illustrated by Vargo's very best friend Will Henry

So, Will Henry actually contacted me on Twitter today and offered to send me an advance copy of the upcoming Wallace the Brave book as a thank-you for all the times I've promoted the strip on social media. I graciously accepted, and then we talked about kayaking. I'll take a picture when it gets here.

Curtis

Baby Blues

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave, written and illustrated by Vargo's very best friend Will Henry

So, Will Henry actually contacted me on Twitter today and offered to send me an advance copy of the upcoming Wallace the Brave book as a thank-you for all the times I've promoted the strip on social media. I graciously accepted, and then we talked about kayaking. I'll take a picture when it gets here.

That's really lovely!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What is the known water-hater doing standing in water?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Guess who designed the Rock Cats logo?
http://www.courant.com/sports/baseball/hc-guy-gilchrist-rock-cats-0325-20150324-story.html

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Johnny Walker posted:

:lol: I just noticed you really gave up on keeping up with the comic title after the other day. This works.
There's at least two more title changes to come - I can't keep up!

Vargo posted:

This isn't right - I post my comics on social media all the time - and none have reached out to me. ... sigh.

Winsor McCay Comic Strip(click for huge)

And He Did. (February, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (April, 1917)

Doings of the Duffs. (January, 1919, click for big)

Fritzi Ritz (click for big) So, I'm out of the old, old Fritzis. I'm reposting the ones from Bushmiller's run. I don't think this encroaches on the Nancy postings, she doesn't show up for a long time.

The Gay Thirties (December, 1935, click for big)

They'll Do It Every Time (December, 1940, click for big)

Dick Tracy (April, 1941, click for big)

Mopsy (May, 1941)

Archie (May, 1956, click for big)

Marmaduke (August, 1959)

Mr. Tweedy (September 1970, click for big)

Feiffer (1975, click for big)

Andy Capp (February, 1972, click for big)

Wee Pals (April, 1972, click for big)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Slammy posted:

Andy Capp (February, 1972, click for big)

What is the maintenance?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

...and the pitch! posted:

What is the maintenance?

Alimony.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Andy Capp may be repulsive but I enjoy picking up mid-century British terms like National Assistance and Labour Exchange

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Darthemed posted:

Today's Garfield

did you know?

in the wild, fish are not part of a cat's diet. fish in cat food was popularized during world war II as a cheap source of protein for pet kitties. imagine a kitty reaching into a water to catch a fish. that is funny :shobon:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set knows size matters.

Working Daze is me every day, ammirite?

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is all of us.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

One of our favorite comic strip archivists made it into Cook, Serve, Delicious 2:

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Barkeater Lake

Bad Machinery

Our first mystery officially begins:

Spirit of the Staircase

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Lucky Cow

Back to B.C.

Random Acts of Nancy

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

He looks horrified at the thought.

I can only hope that that is the expression Dez makes when she's realizing her friends are assholes.

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

For Better or for Worse

Johnston posted:

In our house, it was of utmost importance to maintain good table manners. My mother went so far as to give us eating lessons. My brother and I learned to sit straight with a yardstick down our backs and a “Golden Book” under each arm.

We learned how to use our fork and knife in the English style, cutting with wrists up, dabbing the edibles onto the back of the fork. (Rarely should one “stab” at one’s food.) We were never to talk with our mouths full; never to reveal the mastication going on inside. Eating was often an ordeal. The benefits of the lessons, however, came to the fore at summer camp when we were the only kids who could eat comfortably while crushed onto a wooden bench with a line of other campers.

If mom saw us chewing with our mouths open, there was instant objection. This, of course made it mandatory that we eat as rudely as possibly when the moment was ripe. This strip was done in memory of these unfettered times.

Johnston posted:

I was once married to a guy who spent so much time on the couch watching televised sports, I suggested we give away the couch, screw legs on him and use HIM as furniture.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space GUy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Julet Esqu posted:

I can only hope that that is the expression Dez makes when she's realizing her friends are assholes.
Here's a pre-emptive "get hosed, Greg" for whatever terrible direction he's going to take this in.

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
Way I see it there's two ways this goes, both poo poo

1) Tiffany is depressed because she's *FAT* boohoo hoo no actual growth just let's poo poo on her because she was mean in High school or some crap like that

or

2) a B>U level melodramatic pile of poo poo with a big suicide attempt, which nothing is learned, more excuses to poo poo on Tiffany.

or If Evans gets a personality and brain transplant

3) a mature nuanced discussion of how someone who seems to 'have it all' can still have issues with depression which results in real and lasting character growth and maturity for all parties involved.

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Last strip, middle panel...

Did anyone else flinch at that hit? A flicked towel TO THE EYES?!

Absolutely love Modesty Blaise.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

This concludes today's lesson on interrogation by kneecapping.

Pibgorn

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Slammy posted:

This isn't right - I post my comics on social media all the time - and none have reached out to me. ... sigh.

Mind dropping that Twitter @handle? People like it whenever I put old cartoons on my TL, I'd love to just retweet yours instead.

One of our favorite comic strip archivists made it into Cook, Serve, Delicious 2:

What am I looking at here?

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (April 23, 1952)

Wash Tubbs (February 7, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (March 6, 1924)

Lil' Abner (November 5, 1937)

Barney Google (March 9, 1923)

Alley Oop (June 8, 1934)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Vargo posted:

What am I looking at here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

treasureplane posted:

Wash Tubbs (February 7, 1930)

Holy poo poo, that's a Hell of a line there in that third panel (do you count the one that gives context?).

• Locked thread